PDA

View Full Version : Virgin's International Airline has a name (at last)

Warped Wings
25th Jul 2007, 01:44
Virgin Blue have just announced that their international airline will be called "V Australia".

amos2
25th Jul 2007, 01:55
Five Australia?...wot sorta moniker is that?

AirlinePirate
25th Jul 2007, 01:56
Arr.

So landlubbers will be callin' it "Vee". A mighty fine stroke of marketin', eh.

Arr.

captainrats
25th Jul 2007, 02:07
V
V1
Rotate
On This

Muffinman
25th Jul 2007, 02:14
is that a back of hand "V" (puk u) or a front of palm "V".(peace and mung beans) :uhoh:

blueloo
25th Jul 2007, 02:17
Wasnt there some crap TV show called V around 10 -15 years ago. They all had long tungs and grew in cocoons?

Warped Wings
25th Jul 2007, 02:30
From Virgin's website

Introducing 'V Australia' - Virgin Blue Announces Name of New International
Longhaul Airline and Livery

Wednesday 25 July 2007: Competition on the Trans Pacific route is a step closer with the official announcement in Sydney today of the name of Virgin Blue's new long haul carrier and flagship aircraft.

Virgin Blue is also pleased to announce that yesterday it received formal confirmation from Australia's International Air Services Commission (IASC) that it has approval to operate return non-stop services between Australia and the United States commencing late 2008*.

"V Australia" will initially operate flights between the east coast of Australia and the west coast of the United States of America, with the first flight operated by a brand new B777-300ER launch aircraft named "Didgeree Blue".

The livery of "V Australia" was also unveiled today, keeping in touch with its Virgin Blue roots, but revealing a contemporary look which will launch a new era of competition on the Trans Pacific route. The airline will sport a smart silver fuselage with a red tail featuring the stars of the Southern Cross and elements of the Australian flag.

It will be the fourth airline in the Virgin Blue Group of Airlines including multi award winning domestic carrier Virgin Blue, New Zealand based airline Pacific Blue and Polynesian Blue, the joint venture airline between Virgin Blue and the Government of Samoa.

Virgin Blue put out a call to all Australians as part of a nationwide "Name the Airline" competition in conjunction with MIX FM radio station to help name the new international airline.

The competition attracted approximately 5942 entries which included some especially creative suggestions such as "Randy Roo Airlines", "Choo Choo Flying Big Blue" and "Pineapple Airlines".

The clear favourite was however eventually selected by the judges from the thousands of entries with "V Australia", nominated by Teresa Manuel from Sydney, unanimously voted as the best name for the new airline.

"Didgeree Blue", suggested by Irene Wilson of Brisbane, was also chosen as the perfect name to grace the nosecone of V Australia's flagship and launch aircraft.

Virgin Blue Airlines Group Chief Executive, Brett Godfrey, said, "We had an amazing response to help name the airline and V Australia stood out among the entries. It is nice and simple, easily recognised, both understated and obvious and has a clear Australian identity".

"This is the first time in decades Australia has a start-up long haul international airline and we look forward to bringing competitive air fares and a new style of service to the Trans Pacific market".

Commenting on the new livery Brett Godfrey continued, "It is important for us to use the Southern Cross not only for its geographic connotations, but also for its place in Australian aviation folklore. Southern Cross was also the name of Charles Kingsford Smith's aircraft as the intrepid aviator opened the world to Australia with his record breaking long distance flights and we think it appropriate to reflect the very best of a modern confident Australia taking to the skies".

V Australia has also applied for permission from the United States Government to commence services in November 2008 and is continuing its progress with the development of its launch route network, product and fare structure.

* Subject to regulatory approval

Buster Hyman
25th Jul 2007, 02:36
They chose V because Mr T Airlines was taken!:hmm:

Charles Kingsford Smith's aircraft as the intrepid aviator opened the world to Australia with his record breaking long distance flights and we think it appropriate to reflect the very best of a modern confident Australia taking to the skies"
"Also, our pilots will be flying under similar terms & conditions...ironic huh?"

blueloo
25th Jul 2007, 02:39
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/1/10/V_mini_series_poster.JPG

Warped Wings
25th Jul 2007, 03:03
is that a back of hand "V" (puk u) or a front of palm "V".(peace and mung beans)

"Didgeree Blue", suggested by Irene Wilson of Brisbane, was also chosen as the perfect name to grace the nosecone of V Australia's flagship and launch aircraft.

Muffinman, with an aircraft named "Didgeree Blue" I think you might be the winner...

"Puk u Qantas....Puk u Jetstar":eek:

KRUSTY 34
25th Jul 2007, 03:46
Blueloo,

It aws actually closer to 25 years ago!

My how time flies.

blueloo
25th Jul 2007, 04:51
That shocked me too Krusty when I googled it! !983 or something!

Here is a picture of new livery of virgin (Something strikes me as being familiar.....I cant see or imagine what it is though!!!!!))

http://www.smh.com.au/ffximage/2007/07/25/virgin_wideweb__470x312,0.jpg

And this is the article:
http://www.smh.com.au/news/travel/virgin-vows-to-tread-carefully/2007/07/25/1185043173366.html

737NG_Girl
25th Jul 2007, 05:33
Why why why the similarity to Qantas (obviously minus the newly deformed marsupial on the tail)........????

http://www.duncans.tv/images/not-happy-jan.jpg

NOT Happy, Brett

Yusef Danet
25th Jul 2007, 05:37
You've got to be ****ting me.

Surely anything but a white plane with red tail.

maybe it's only temporary... If Uncle Richard buys back the 49% of Virgin Atlantic that he sold to Singapore the restrictions on using the Virgin brand would cease and they could call it something more recognisable. Virgin Pacific preferably.

Buster Hyman
25th Jul 2007, 05:41
Perhaps it is the new Qantas livery, and after the hammering that Roo got, he's seeing stars???:confused:

nike
25th Jul 2007, 05:45
maybe jetstar should have thought of that scheme. would be more appropriate for them?

sinala1
25th Jul 2007, 05:45
Yusef I think you are on the right track.. Uncie Richard is also apparently trying to get back a controlling portion of VB

V Australia easily becomes Virgin Pacific... or even Virgin Australia if they really wanted!

Wingspar
25th Jul 2007, 05:51
Yep, as soon as tricky Dicky gets his airline back it will be easy to change it to Virgin Australia.

Yusef Danet
25th Jul 2007, 06:09
Uncle Richard, as a non-Aus citizen can't regain control of Virgin Blue, as it is an Aus flagged international airline (by way of both Pac Blue and V Aus) and there's not enough of the company available of the stock market to buy it anyway. He'd need Little Paul for that.

'aveagoodknight
25th Jul 2007, 06:27
It's not white, its silver.

:ok:

sinala1
25th Jul 2007, 06:47
Agreed, Yusef - but I wouldnt rule out the Toll stake becoming available, at least enough of it to give Richard back his controlling share (whilst keeping at least 50.1% Aussie owned)

Howard Hughes
25th Jul 2007, 06:49
Sir Dick takes up Aussie citizenship, problem solved!;)

Ultralights
25th Jul 2007, 07:31
maybe jetstar should have thought of that scheme. would be more appropriate for them?
compared to Jetscar a 1 star airline, i think its appropriate. 5 stars on Virgin.

Kiwiconehead
25th Jul 2007, 07:32
Tricky Dicky doesn't need control of Virgin in Oz, he needs control of Virgin Atlantic who currently have control of the Virgin brand for international airlines - SingAir have control of Virgin Atlantic and as such say who gets to fly international ops with the Virgin moniker.

cunninglinguist
25th Jul 2007, 08:07
Sir Dick takes up Aussie citizenship, problem solved!

would he get in under the immigration laws :confused:

We're not short of Tossers in australia are we :rolleyes:

BTW, I thought the tail looked similar to another ex Oz airline, just a different colour, crewed and run by the same crowd :hmm:
" that's not how we did it in Ansett " :{

sinala1
25th Jul 2007, 08:15
SingAir have control of Virgin Atlantic and as such say who gets to fly international ops with the Virgin moniker.

Agreed, as was previously posted
If Uncle Richard buys back the 49% of Virgin Atlantic that he sold to Singapore the restrictions on using the Virgin brand would cease and they could call it something more recognisable. Virgin Pacific preferably.

:ok:

knackeredIII
25th Jul 2007, 09:28
So will they be flyin' V-Jets then?

Stubby
25th Jul 2007, 10:12
i like it! its kind of classy :)

1279shp
25th Jul 2007, 12:14
Heard that the red flowing forward was going to be adopted by QF, it was going to lead into a red belly, a-la Jet Star, with QANTAS written in white.

It looks good, but not very Australian.

Again on schemes. Where's the new Air NZ scheme/titles etc? They've forked out the cheque with all the zeros to the 'noted Maori' artist.:confused:

Maybe the uniform dramas/fix left them a bit green-stoned? :p

blueloo
25th Jul 2007, 12:18
Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery. :}

Muffinman
25th Jul 2007, 12:19
Vee Australia ,,,, mmmm..... Veeee Australia......mmmm.....Veeeeee Australia

nup - sorry the 'classy' is lost on me.

Now... if they went with "Pubic (H)Air" .....now that's classy.

If they pinched the stars and the colour all that's left is to pinch is "that a
Virgin?" - "absolutely"

1279shp
25th Jul 2007, 12:19
Check these out!

http://www.virginaustralia.com.au/

Wonder if pax will get one of these free?

Makes sense with Virigin America, Virgin Nigeria etc, to call it after the country where its based. Going to a 'V' is a nice OZ touch though.

On websites, Virgin when they came to NZ as Pac Blue, paid a housing development company a bit of coin to get pacificblue.co.nz, even though they use flypacificblue.com.

1279shp
25th Jul 2007, 12:25
Wonder if V Australia will call their planes V-Jets????? :E

Mecarsa Bitrusty
26th Jul 2007, 13:12
Nice looking livery, but its to similar to the big Q for me. :ugh:

Lets hope the T&C’s look as good! :confused: