PDA

View Full Version : A320 Briefings

Founder
21st Jul 2007, 11:36
Do any of you have any good ways of doing your take-off briefing quickly? What to include and what to say?

Dream Land
21st Jul 2007, 12:20
I'm sure there will be no shortage of replies here, here's my 2 cents worth.
Departure:
WX
A/C status
Taxi Route
SID/Xsition Alt
Time/Distance check
RTO/Emergency Return
Inst/RVSM check
Arrival:
WX
A/C status
Notams
Star/Xsition lvl
App Brief
Turn/Taxi route
Fuel Predict

Office Pest
21st Jul 2007, 12:51
From my notes,

DEPARTURE BRIEF
RHS/LHS
STATUS
WX (Altimeter check)
NOTAMS
INIT PAGE A/B
PERF PAGE (T/O+CL)
-Packs Off
-Runway State
-Icing/Wx Radar/X Winds
-Climb Speed
FL PLAN A/B
-SID (Chart no and date)
-MSA (25 nm to TOC to highest)
-Constraints (Vertical/Speed)
-FCU set correctly
RAD NAV
PROG
FUEL PRED
EMERGENCY BRIEF
SEC FL PLAN
SEC FL PLAN PERF
ANY QUESTIONS?

ARRIVAL BRIEF
RHS/LHS
STATUS
WX (Destination/Alternate)
NOTAMS
FL PLAN
-STAR (Chart no and date)
-MSA (Ppos to Touchdown)
-Constraints (Vertical/Speed)
-Approach
-Landing (Flap Setting
/Autobrake/Reverse)
GO AROUND
PERF
RAD NAV
PROG
FUEL PRED
SEC FL PLAN
DIVERSION
WX/ROUTE/MSA/FUEL REQ
ANY QUESTIONS?

Emergency Brief as per company SOP.

Office Pest

Caudillo
21st Jul 2007, 12:58
I think he said "quickly"..

wileydog3
21st Jul 2007, 13:03
As you may have noticed, briefings are no longer brief. And the longer the 'briefing' the more likely information will either be forgotten or the briefing will become a rote 'puke' of information that no one listens to.
Best course of action, IMHO, is to brief as much as possible before cranking and taxiing for takeoff. At the runway, if anything changes, review the changes (ie runway conditions, departure changes, etc). For arrival, again do as much as possible at altitude. One technique I liked was for the PM (pilot monitor) to review the approach first, then have the PF brief the approach and then have the PM review quickly to ensure all was done properly.
I have listened to approach briefings that included EVERYTHING and lost in the 'briefing' was the unique or unusual items that differed from just a standard approach.

Dan Winterland
21st Jul 2007, 15:25
Indeed - they are called 'Briefs'. Too often, I'm forced to listen to 'Longs' instead!

Office Pest
21st Jul 2007, 16:17
I couldn't agree more with regard to long and dull brief's. However I did find it helpful when starting out to have a comprehensive list in my head of the point's to consider and pick out as necessary. I wouldn't try to reel off all of that list above as your brief becomes dull and therefore ineffective.

Office Pest.

Airbus_a321
21st Jul 2007, 16:50
Indeed - they are called 'Briefs'. Too often, I'm forced to listen to 'Longs' instead!
Dan Winterland, once you have listened to a briefing the way it's usually done in my homeland, then you will know what a long brief is. it's even much longer than long:rolleyes:
I fully agree with you a BRIEFing should be brief:ok: The more brief the briefing is,the better. But tell this to people who love talking:cool:

fireflybob
21st Jul 2007, 18:02
1. You should follow your company SOPS (whether you agree with them is another matter!)

2. Make sure you state what is unique. For example if there is an emergency turn for the runway/airport (in the event of engine failure) this should be briefed.

In (2) if you mention the emergency turn and say nothing else other than "standard" this is about 7 out of 10.

If you brief all the standard stuff but dont mention the emergency turn this is about 1 out of 10.

For the descent and approach brief for what you really think is going to happen. So if its a gin clear day and you expect a visual then brief for the visual - you can always back up and say, any problems etc we will do the ILS as per the fleet. As said above if you company SOPS differ from this then you should follow the SOPS and/or become Head of Training/Chief Pilot and change them!

skiesfull
21st Jul 2007, 18:35
Dictionary description:-
BRIEFING......a concise description of short duration.
Nuff said!

Dixons Cider
21st Jul 2007, 21:10
Do any of you have any good ways of doing your take-off briefing quickly? What to include and what to say?

Standard. Any questions?

manuel ortiz
21st Jul 2007, 21:38
Make briefings not more than 2 min long (yeah its an eternity), Airbus FCTM has some guidelines for contents and sequence.