PDA

View Full Version : Zenair 601 HD & Thorp T18C

BroomstickPilot
21st Jul 2007, 08:44
Hi Guys,

I'm hoping to have a chance of flying one or other of the two types mentioned above.

Can anybody please give me some idea what these aircraft are like to fly.

Broomstick.

muffin
21st Jul 2007, 14:39
I had a Zenair 601HDS which is the same a/c but with the short wings. Quite tricky to fly as it has the gliding chacteristics of a brick! If you have an engine failure you land in the field right below you. Also there are no flaps and the approach speed is quite high. Once you get used to it they are nice to fly but make sure you get a few hours dual time first.

Pilot DAR
22nd Jul 2007, 21:27
Broomstick,

I have flown both of these types. I definately prefer the T18. It is a solid plane, with very crisp handling. It is probably at least half again the weight of the Zenair 601, but I don't remember the weights. The T18 requires good taildragger skills, and a keen sensitivity to a stall. I recall that it flys very nicely down to about 60 kts, and is stalled or spun by 57 kts. The horizontal stabilizer is very sensative to sloppy bearings - tail must be tight. A little challenging to see over the nose when taxiing.

I flew the prototype Zenair 601, and 701. I'm certain that there have been product improvements since those early days. The 601 was not a great glider (though the T18 is not either). The 601 had a good feel for the back side of the power curve, and you could feel what it was trying to do. I do not at all like the canopy, as when you loose it in flight (which happend to my friend on the same aircraft) you no longer have any winshield. The T18 has an excellent roll bar built into the windshield frame.

The two aircraft are roughly the same size and capacity, but the similarity ends there.

Good luck, Pilot DAR

BroomstickPilot
23rd Jul 2007, 08:16
Pilot DAR and Muffin,

Many thanks to you both for the information.

Broomstick.