PDA

View Full Version : PPL FLight Test on 16th birthday?

paull
20th Jul 2007, 09:38
Please redirect if there is a better forum..
There is much talk of solo on 16th birthday, but I am pretty sure that some 30yrs ago at Paull airfield near Hull, someone passed her test on her 16th birthday. Is there a minimum solo hours requirement that prevents this or did she perhaps get enough hours in that day?
paull

P.Pilcher
20th Jul 2007, 10:16
I don't think that there would have been anything stopping her completing her GFT on her 16th. Birthday and then fulfilling the solo including the solo QXC requirements. A very long day indeed if she wanted to apply for her licence at the end of it, but the GFT could have been conducted at any time during the day and it would have only lasted about an hour - less if the examiner was one of her instructors who was already satisfied as to her standard.

P.P.

Duchess_Driver
20th Jul 2007, 11:19
I refer the honourable gentlepersons to section C1.1 which states grant of said licence cannot be until the candidates 17th Birthday.

Log time @ 14, Solo @ 16, Issue @ 17.

It seems times have changed!

First solo, 5hours circuits, 5 hours (150nm Legs + 2 landaways) plus GFT in one day - I don't think this is safely achievable really!

paull
20th Jul 2007, 12:44
Thanks for the info. I have just found her name mentioned on another forum, so I might try and track her down and get the story "from the horse's mouth"
paull

BigEndBob
24th Jul 2007, 20:41
I have a student at the moment working his way up to hopefully first solo on his 16th birthday. Has done the medical, but he said the AME would not let him have the certificate until close to his birthday, seems a bit odd to me.

BHenderson
24th Jul 2007, 23:35
I did my GFT at 16.5 years. There's no problem that I can see. The CAA only state the applicant for a PPL must be 17. Do the GFT then apply just before your 17th birthday.

Bobby

Nimrod615
26th Jul 2007, 08:36
Seen it written somewhere that the medical can be signed as early as 1 month preceeding 16th birthday.
I'll try and dig it out....
Just had the same thing with a stude. (:cough: front page of Go Flying :cough: ) ;)