View Full Version : landing clearance..!

dekster73
19th Jul 2007, 12:44
can we land without landing clearance from tower ,?if we couldnt estabish contact with him for any reason?provided visibility ok and runway clear..

Dream Land
19th Jul 2007, 17:15
I think you probably could, the real question is, if anything goes wrong, could you defend your decision in a court of law? :}

Curtis E Carr
19th Jul 2007, 21:40
Don't forget to look for light signals from the tower.

Brian Abraham
20th Jul 2007, 01:57
dekster73, have a look at this thread. The short answer is no, as hinted at by Dream Land. http://www.pprune.org/forums/showthread.php?t=282918

DooblerChina
24th Jul 2007, 10:06
If I had a complete comm failure on the approach and the runway was clear I would definately land. The prospect of going around with no comms is not a pleasant one.

In fact I know a bloke who landed in LGW without clearance even with his aircraft fully serviceable. A quick apology later and ATC were fine with it. I guess it would have been a different story if an incident occured.

The fact is that we have responsibility for the aircraft if we land without permission then its our neck on the line and we need to be able to justify it.

Dream Land
24th Jul 2007, 10:25
A few years back during IMC conditions I had com failure, my position was on a radar vectored base leg for an ILS at STL, I changed to the radio failure squawk momentarily and then back to my normal code, after breaking out on the ILS I was immediately hit with a green light from tower. :ok:

16down2togo
27th Jul 2007, 18:43
i landed a couple of times in, for instance, antalya, when radio broadcasts superceded atc. you're a clear no. 1 and atc doesn't respond, nobody on the active! hell i'd rather land then go around in this mess! After all it's about situatonal awareness, don't forget this!!!
Just an now old fart