PDA

View Full Version : Too long out of the seat?

Seagull61
19th Jul 2007, 07:57
Hi,
For various reasons, weather and planes going tech being the main ones, i`ve not been up for 6 weeks now! Am planning on a flight tomorrow if the weather holds and not going to stress myself so just some general handling in the practice area!
Just wondering if anyone has any advice or experience of not flying for a long period and what to expect and look out for! My club hasn`t got any currency rules, but if it goes another few weeks then i would definately go back up with an FI.
Cheers

Flying Lawyer
19th Jul 2007, 08:37
My club hasn`t got any currency rules

Others may have different views, but I've always had a self-imposed 28 day currency rule, even with my own aircraft.

I might push it a little longer with fixed-wing if I've done lots of flying immediately before the 28 days, but never a day longer with helicopters (or warbirds).

I'd prefer to do a check-ride and then think it wasn't really necessary than not do one and find out it was!

IMHO, a flight with a FI (or CPL) occasionally is a good investment.

FL

LH2
19th Jul 2007, 10:30
I do regularly spend five/six weeks not flying due to work commitments. Basically, what FL says. On my first flight after such a spell, I ask a FI or experienced pilot friend to come along with me and offer a critique afterwards. Very useful.

waldopepper42
19th Jul 2007, 10:37
Absolutely agree with FL - IMHO, you've never done too many hours not to benefit from some time with an instructor, and this is a good time and excuse to go and get some.

On the other hand, I'm in much the same situation and my aeroplane only has one seat!

Wish me luck...;)

Whirlybird
19th Jul 2007, 12:09
Everyone varies as to how quickly they get rusty, and how much their abilities degrade after a break. Eventually you'll get to know for yourself how this works for you, but meanwhile, if in doubt, do as has been suggested, and take an instructor with you.

I find the main problem is not that you've forgotten how to fly - of course you haven't. It's that the basics take more effort and come less naturally, so that you've less spare capacity. This means that you're probably OK if it's good weather, an easy flight, and you can guarantee that nothing will go wrong. But if you suddenly need to do something unexpected, even if it's some little thing you'd normally take in your stride, it's much harder when you haven't flown for a bit...your brain slows down, and turns to mush very much more easily.

But if you decide to ignore this good advice and give it a go, bear what I've said in mind. Take it very, very easy on yourself. Pick good weather, and an area you know. Stick to that until you feel comfortable, and until the aircraft starts to feel familiar again. And note how long it's been, and how you feel, so that you'll know for next time...although every time is different, so you can never know for certain.

On the whole, the longer you fly, the longer gaps you can leave without getting too rusty, but again, there are huge individual differences.

Genghis the Engineer
19th Jul 2007, 13:39
Take somebody current (ideally on type), ideally an instructor, along for the ride in the right hand seat...

Doesn't cost much, it's nice to have the company - and they should keep you out of trouble.

G

Seagull61
19th Jul 2007, 13:54
Thanks for the great advice everyone.

I am going up tomorrow as the charts are looking like a nice CAVOK day here and not too breezy. If there is any doubt then i will ground myself and not leave it any longer and get a FI or company in RHS.

Thanks again

Whirlybird
19th Jul 2007, 15:49
Lucky you! The weather's going to be horrible here. Maybe I should go to Norway and fly with you.:)

Seagull61
20th Jul 2007, 06:40
To be honest, you are better off there.

Its rained 18 days so far this month and over 15cm!