PDA

View Full Version : Official language qualificatons

luigi_m_
18th Jul 2007, 21:41
I work in Ops in the UK, but would like to move abroad in a year or two, and obviously having a language would be a distinct advantage. I already have an A-level in Spanish, but I wondered if anyone could tell me of examinations that could be taken in the UK for languages, that employers abroad (and in the UK) would see as an official sign of fluency?

BelArgUSA
19th Jul 2007, 23:01
Hola Luigi -
xxx
Personally, speaking many languages from fully fluent to very basic, I do not believe in "language schools" to learn a language. The only way to learn a language is to be "there", and learn in the streets, asking your way, ordering food in restaurants, or a beer in a bar, watching local TV news, reading magazines and cartoon comics. I learned Spanish in 2 or 3 months when I arrived in Buenos Aires, enough to pass their ATPL written test, and insult taxicabs drivers who took me the "long way" around. Of course people in Madrid or Mexico laugh at my Argentina "Castellano" and using a vocabulary they are not familiar with, but we understand each other quite well.
xxx
The "language schools" do not do much of a good job, no matter where. When a baby learns to speak his language from Mami and Papi, he does not learn about grammar, spelling or pronunciation... He just repeats sentences he hears. The only good school organization I know is Berlitz, if you insist for a "diploma", they probably have that available. They use valid methods of teaching languages, and I know they exist, for you, in the UK...
xxx
You mentioned to have learned Spanish, so, Portuguese, Italian and French are quite similar in vocabulary. I speak French as I was born in Belgium, and have learned "bad" Portuguese as I plan to retire in Brazil, although my Portuguese ends up being "Portuñol", as I tend to mix Spanish/Portuguese. When in Rome, I understand Italian quite well, although cannot speak it, except a few sentences.
xxx
If I interviewed you for a job in Operations, speaking Spanish to you for 10 minutes, and asking you to fill an application form in that language, it would not come to me, to ask you for a diploma. Your practical knowledge is sufficient. Nobody ever asked me for a diploma of French, Flemish/Duch or English... obviously, I do handle them well, y el idioma español también...
xxx
Check with Berlitz, probably in London, my best advice...
Best of luck to you...
xxx
:)
Happy contrails