PDA

View Full Version : Chivenor

18th Jul 2007, 20:07
Dear all, the weather was nice in Devon today and lots of people went out flying in helicopters and FW. If you are planning something similar please note the following:

1. Chivenor is 'Chivenor Radio' not approach, radar, information or any of the multitude of other callsigns that get used when trying to call us.

2. Because of 1 above we cannot give a FIS, Listening watch, radar information, flight following or many of the other services we are asked for.

3. We can tell you the QFE, QNH, W/V and what traffic we have airborne from Chivenor.

4. We may tell you about other taffic in the area that is not from Chivenor but only if we have time and they have talked to us recently.

5. We do not accept GA traffic, nor corporate - the only exception to our military only rule is for the air ambulance and police helicopters. And we don't have AVGAS anyway.

6. Although we have a big runway, it is not fully maintained and the only way you can land there is by declaring an emergency.

We do like to see other people in the sky and to talk to them but we are a SAR unit with a specific role and that will always come first. We only have one Ops assistant on dutywho is not ATC qualified and may be quite inexperienced, who does radios, phones, maps, notams etc etc etc so don't be surprised if you first call goes unanswered.

All of the above information is available from the appropriate publications so please have a read before you press the Tx switch.

Many thanks, Chivenor out.

chevvron
22nd Jul 2007, 09:21
Any chance of telling us the frequency or is it just helicopter common?

QDMQDMQDM
22nd Jul 2007, 21:30
Chivenor is 'Chivenor Radio' not approach, radar, information or any of the multitude of other callsigns that get used when trying to call us.

The callsign 'Alpha Charlie Base' or some such gets used on 130.2 for Chivenor, presumably by military traffic, so it isn't too suprprising that there is some confusion when people call up.

I do talk to Chivenor sometimes when I go to Lundy on the basis that if anything happens the radio wallah just has to yell downstairs to get you to come and save me from a watery grave. There hasn't been any problem to date. Is it OK to do this?

Probably worth letting Mike Mold at the Devon Strut know your thoughts on all this too and he can circulate it to all the locals: http://www.devonstrut.co.uk/pages/contacts.htm

25th Jul 2007, 05:58
QDM, the Alpha Charlie callsigns are Vigilant motor gliders operated by the RAF to provide air experience thgrough to solo flying for cadets. They usually only operate at weekends but are quite busy during the summer hols.

We are very happy to talk to you when you are on your way to Lundy - other than London Info or Cardiff (if you are high enough) there isn't anyone else in N Devon to provide any sort of service.:)

englishal
25th Jul 2007, 08:34
crab@....

If we're operating in the Woolacombe area would you rather talk to us or not? I'm easy either way, but if it doesn't help you that much I'd rather just keep my eyes open........

Cheers

27th Jul 2007, 06:23
englishal - sometimes the motor gliders operate as far N as Woolacombe and we are often training around there so listening out on 130.2 might not be a bad idea if you are getting no service from anyone else. Watch out for paragliders at Woolacombe if there is an onshore wind.

Cheers