PDA

View Full Version : VOR Interceptions

redout
18th Jul 2007, 16:15
Hello,

I have a question about VOR interceptions. Is there a method in working out the anticipation for turning onto the intercepted radial. I sometimes keep marginally either undershooting or overshooting just as the CDI is centring. All help appreciated.

thanx

zerozero
18th Jul 2007, 18:39
It's just a matter of your *groundspeed* and your distance to the station.

If you're a hundred miles out from the station and only doing 150kias across the ground you can have a steeper intercept and wait longer to turn "on course".

But if you're clipping along at 250kias, 10 miles from the station you'd do better with a shallower intercept and should probably start the turn inbound when the course comes alive.

You don't say what kind of aircraft you're flying so it's hard to be more specific than that.

Good luck.

Rainboe
18th Jul 2007, 19:38
I've never believed in filling your brain with quite this level of calculation while you are trying to pole an aeroplane at the same time. We are not multi-tasking 'Windows' to that degree! Inevitably while you mutter away your deliberations, some of the other 'Windows' you have open are suffering, and one of them is actually flying- the other is drinking your tea. Just put on a turn, preferably undershooting, with a reasonable intercept angle, select VORLOC and Bingo! Alternatively, if you have a decent flight system, put the curvy track line on the intended track and try and keep it there, but don't do daft mental calcs! Save it for ETAs and working out crosswinds ONLY!

Tinstaafl
18th Jul 2007, 20:26
If the a/c is equipped with a HSI then keep the lubber line pointing at the top of the CDI. As the CDI moves from full scale you'll find yourself having to turn towards the track, reducing the intercept angle as a result. In nil or tailwind conditions you'll have a smooth intercept. If a headwind (ie a crosswind from the non-intercept side once established on track) then you'll eventually be wings level at some HDG that coincides with the the CDI no longer closing. You've just found the drift allowance you'll need once track is gained. Make some amount of turn towards the track to force the CDI to continue to close. After the intercept is completed use the HDG mentioned earlier as an initial drift allowance.

Always Moving
25th Jul 2007, 01:18
Like 0/0 said it depends of what you have available. HSI FMS, GPS
I found the cross track error part of the gps invaluable for all kinds of things