PDA

View Full Version : Multiple Country PPL

ACARS
18th Jul 2007, 12:27
Hello
Finally after waiting 7 years I am about to embark on obtaining my PPL (12hrs built in 99, 00) :ok:
I work away on business and am considering flying in the following three locations;
1. Ireland
2. England
3. Belgium (Brussels area preffered)
Is it possible for me to complete a JAA PPL in multiple countries (obviously completing my test in one particular area - probably Ireland).
I am okay for schools in Ireland and UK, but can anyone recommend a school in Belgium?
Also, it is an issue changing between aircraft types?

sternone
18th Jul 2007, 13:30
For Belgium i would recommend BAFA http://www.bafa.be

You have also some hobby clubs.. but if you read some of the previous discussions you will understand why i switched schools.

BackPacker
18th Jul 2007, 15:08
Are you searching to train in three locations because you think otherwise you would not be able to fly there (legally or practically), or because business (and therefore leisure time) takes you there?

In the first case, there is no need. Your JAA PPL allows you to fly a plane registered in any JAA state. So you can just go to any of the three countries listed, show your shiny new JAA PPL, regardless of the state of issue, and legally rent/fly a plane there. Obviously the place you rent from may require a club checkout, and a little bit of local area/local procedure familiarization would not hurt.

In the second case, yes, you should be able to receive training from three different organizations. Any hours flown with any JAA school should count towards the 45 hours requirements, as long as the hours flown (and the particulars, eg. exercise numbers, hood time) are properly listed in your logbook and countersigned by the instructor. Schools keep separate training records too, and it would be wise to have one set of records and take these with you wherever you go. Otherwise you end up with three partially complete sets...
As for the skills test, determine beforehand where you're going to do this, and make sure you do all other exams in that particular country too.

Obviously you'll have at least three different instructors too, between which there won't be a lot of communication, other than through you. So make sure you are on top of your own progress, weaknesses and such. More than a one-school student, you've got to make sure you've got a plan for your own education. It's probably best if you nominate one "primary" school, and involve its instructor into progress review/planning. You then let him/her draw up a lesson plan for the lessons you're going to do with the other schools.

Changing aircraft types: better not to fly on too many different types during your training. Getting the hang of an aircraft type, particularly if you don't have a lot of experience yet, takes a few hours and that's a bit of a waste of time while training. It is great fun to fly different types, and compare them, once you've got that PPL though. If nothing else, it gives a sense of purpose to your PPL.

If you don't want to change types you'll have to train on a very common training type. That basically limits the choice to the C152, C172 and PA-28-161.