PDA

View Full Version : Duxford Bonus Day -- Piper Singles -- 11th August 2007

alphaalpha
18th Jul 2007, 08:02
Duxford Bonus Day -- All PIPER single engined aircraft -- 11 August 2007

If you're a Piper pilot in the UK, put the next Duxford Bonus Day in your diary now.

The next event is for Piper aircraft. Arrive in any Piper single and enjoy the discounts and benefits below.

Duxford is home the Imperial War Museum and must be the premier destination for GA pilots in Europe. Most weekends through the flying season, although there are no guarantees, you are quite likely to see warbirds flying -- Spitfire, Hurricane, B17, Catalina, Sabre and other rare types are based at Duxford.

The Bonus days offer substantially discounted prices: qualifying types of aircraft (or pilots) will enjoy half-price landing fees and much reduced museum admission. A single or a twin can land for £7; museum entry is £7 for most adults and children come in free.

The 2007 programme gets better. On Bonus days only, the Briefing Room and balcony on the first floor of the historic Control Tower is freely available for Bonus pilots and their passengers and on most Bonus days, we will organise a short guided tour of some part of the museum, probably starting at 12.30 (local). The £20+ million ‘AirSpace’ project was officially opened on 11th July – really a ‘must-see.’

Further information about the Bonus Days and information for fly-in visitors can be found on the web site http://duxford.iwm.org.uk/

The airfield team will be delighted to hear from forumites (call for PPR and briefing 01223 833376) and to see you on the day.

Future bonus days are:

Sept 1st Surprise Bonus Day (watch the press)
Oct 27th Halloween Bonus (any aircraft – wear costume)
Dec 15th Christmas Dinner Bonus Day

Just for people who don’t know, I should declare my interest. I’m a casual FISO at Duxford. I’m also a pilot who thinks the place is pretty marvellous.

Alan.

gcolyer
18th Jul 2007, 09:37
If I can get the one of the club PA28's for the day I will be there.

Blinkz
18th Jul 2007, 12:05
I will also try and get a PA28 and enjoy duxford, been meaning to go for a while now!

alphaalpha
28th Jul 2007, 20:47
A quick update on the Piper Bonus Day at Duxford on 11th August:

The hard runway is being resurfaced in August, so will not be available. The grass runway is in good condition and the surface is firm, so there should be no problems for the Piper Bonus Day.

If you're planning to come call for PPR 01223 833376.

Hope to see you then blinkz and gcolyer and lots more.

Alan.

gcolyer
28th Jul 2007, 21:02
No plane available!!! the gits in the club beat me to it!!

Charles Sierra
28th Jul 2007, 22:21
Hope to be making an appearance ;)

alphaalpha
5th Aug 2007, 21:14
Charles Sierra: Look forward to seeing you or speaking to you next weekend. Duxford grass was in good shape today for the Spitfore day, so you will have no problems.

There's plenty of parking space at Duxford for Piper-jockeys who enjoy historic aviation and like a discount -- not to mention the new Airspace project. Just call for PPR 01223 833376.

Alan.

nigelisom
5th Aug 2007, 21:26
I shall be bringing my 2 project propeller guys, hopefully it will make up for not getting to Bruntingthorp in last months dreadful weather. See you all there.

Nigel

alphaalpha
9th Aug 2007, 12:22
The weather is looking good for Saturday, except for the far west. I wonder how many Pipers we'll see. Will there be more than at the Cessna bonus day earlier in the year.

Don't forget to phone for PPR 01223 833376.

Alan.

Charles Sierra
10th Aug 2007, 08:03
Have made my call. Any update on runway situation?

SQUAWKIDENT
10th Aug 2007, 10:54
Was hoping to fly in tomorrow with my freshly signed dual check on one of our club PA28's but it's already booked for something else:(
Spent 30mins practising grass landings as well yesterday. Doh!
Oh well hope you have another one soon. I flew into Duxford for the first time last month in a 152. Great place to visit with a very friendly and helpful FISO service. Quick to get to as well from my home base at Denham. Received an excellent FIS from Luton which helped smooth the journey around the London/Luton/Stansted TMAs:ok:

alphaalpha
11th Aug 2007, 05:35
Charles Sierra:

Sorry for the delay, went to Bembridge yesterday, great seafood at the Crab and Lobster. Duxford's hard runway is being resurfaced and is out of use for most/all of this month. The grass is fine 800m and nice and hard, pretty smooth.

Squawkident:

Shame you can't make it. Put 1st Sept in your diary; bonus day for all aircraft. Have a look at the Flyer forums for details, but I will post on here in a few days.

It's lovely weather for today, looking out of the window at 6.30. If you haven't booked in, don't forget to call for PPR/briefing 01223 833376.

Alan.

Charles Sierra
11th Aug 2007, 20:01
Excellent visit today , well organised and like you say Runway was in fine fettle.:D

Thanks

alphaalpha
12th Aug 2007, 08:16
I'm glad to say the Piper Bonus Day was a great success! Helped by good weather over much of England, there was a turnout of about fifty-five aircraft and only one no-show. There were no flying problems and the standard of airmanship was excellent -- Duxford's slightly unusual procedures were followed to the letter and we had no noise complaints from the village :D

Most important, everybody seemed to be going home with a smile on their face, or at least a smile in their voice.

It was busy in the tower for much of the time, so I didn't get to say Hi to as many folk as I'd hoped :( .

The next Bonus day is for all 'Flyer' readers in any light aircraft and is on 1st September -- see separate thread (in the other place only at the moment). So if you didn't see all the museum, come back then. There was no warbird flying during museum opening hours yesterday, although a Spitfire did fly a bit later. The 1st of September Bonus Day is a week before the next airshow, so it's likely that there will be some practice displays going on.

Alan.