PDA

View Full Version : Advice on Turbine Theory

LUCKY-1
17th Jul 2007, 23:48
Lads, Tell me please about completing the Turbine theory Qual. What books / course recommended and costs etc. Thanks in advance.

ForkTailedDrKiller
18th Jul 2007, 04:38
"Turbine theory Qual"
Is there any such thing now days? I thought they did away with the BGT exam just after I passed it (typical!) - with 98% I might add!
Dr

Chadzat
18th Jul 2007, 04:43
It is now integrated in with the ATPL Aerodynamics and Aircraft Systems exam.

Recommendation- AFT book. Passed the thing this morning. :ok:

morno
18th Jul 2007, 06:23
No such thing to be able to fly a turbine as such. If you're endorsed on a turbine powered aircraft, then you can go fly turbines (provided you're endorsed as required on the a/c, :ok:).

morno

Icarus53
18th Jul 2007, 07:35
No such thing to be able to fly a turbine as such. If you're endorsed on a turbine powered aircraft, then you can go fly turbines (provided you're endorsed as required on the a/c, :ok:).

This was always my understanding - if it's a multi or over 5700kg then you require a type endorsement anyway. A friend of mine, however, told me that he had received a C208 endorsement on his license to fly the Caravan, which seemed a bit strange as I'm pretty sure it comes in under the 4T mark.

I've also seen ads for "turbine endorsement" training in the past. Am I right in saying this is not a CASA requirement, or something stated in the CAOs, but rather just somebody providing ad hoc turbine training along with flight training in a turbine a/c?

Zhaadum
18th Jul 2007, 07:56
Regardless of the MTOW a C-208 Caravan is a separate CLASS endorsement as per Appendix 1A Part 1 of CAO 40.1.0.

Probably because it has different systems to single piston types under 5700kgs.

Cheers,

Z.:ok:

Cap'n Arrr
18th Jul 2007, 08:09
As far as I'm aware, a separate endorsement is required for:

Multi Engined Aircraft (Except for the Cri Cri:ok:!!!)
Aircraft with MTOW greater than 5700kgs
Piston Singles with more than a certain amount of horsepower (I think its around 700, I'm fairly certain one is needed to fly a Trojan)
And Turbine Powered aircraft

1279shp
18th Jul 2007, 08:54
Suck, squeeze, bang, blow.

Though with today's new fangled turbines there's a couple of extra steps!

Speaking of BGT etc, heaven help us when these VLJ's for GA pilots are unleashed!

lk978
18th Jul 2007, 11:01
I thought it was as simple as wht it says in the regs, you are endorsed to fly a SE aircraft under 5.7K unless type endorsement specified (there is alist in the cao's somewhere)

I think it is a good idea if someone is going to do an endorsement they may aswell o some thery cant hurt can it..

kiwiblue
18th Jul 2007, 11:20
A bit hard to tell, but I wonder if the person who posted the original query is in NZ? If so, there probably is still a BGT exam -or at least there was when I was last there 5 years or so ago! I certainly haven't heard of it's passing.

Is so, SimuFlight based out of NZAR offered those courses, as did several other training organisations around the country.

Hope that helps!

squawk6969
18th Jul 2007, 12:42
Cap'n Arrr

A Cri Cri? Now I wonder if you can log twin time in one of them?

I think it would be a cool thing to play with.:ok:

SQ

ForkTailedDrKiller
18th Jul 2007, 13:25
"Suck, Squeeze, Bang, Blow"

Na!

In a turbine its more like

Suuuuuuuuuuck, Squeeeeeeeeeeeze, Baaaaaaaaaang, Bloooooooooow

Dr :cool:

Captain Nomad
20th Jul 2007, 03:13
For a bit of FACTUAL help here:rolleyes:

YES, NZ still has a BGT exam requirement, as does PNG these days as their regs are based on the NZ ones...

Was someone seriously suggesting a special endorsement was not required for a C208?! I don't think so. Differences between single engine turbines and single pistons are rather extensive to say the least.

Best theory books to hit up for turbine theory would be:
- The Jet Engine (by Rolls Royce)
- Aircraft Gas Turbine Powerplants (by Jeppessen)

Very useful books and important to wrap one's head around the theory of jet engines - if you stuff up they are a heck of a lot more expensive to fix...

Look up the NZ CAA website and find the syllabus for the BGT exam and it will give you a good idea of what areas are good to study!

knox
20th Jul 2007, 11:55
Did BGT in NZ a couple of years ago. I had zip experience on turbines and found the exam quite straight forward.
The key to passing is like all other exams.... study.

Knox.

havick
20th Jul 2007, 20:37
FoxTailed... Isn't that the new guys trying to get their foot in the door, not the engine ?

DUXNUTZ
21st Jul 2007, 05:06
Turbine Pilots Flight Manual pretty good text.