PDA

View Full Version : Immigration question for those with permanent residence

Lock n' Load
17th Jul 2007, 22:15
Hi all,
Long story short(ish)....
Lived in Canada on a work permit for 2 years, quit job (and couldn't use work permit for any other job) and accepted current UAE gig, and THEN met a girl while enjoying a couple of months of bumhood before moving to the UAE...
Got married in November last year, we decided on Canada for kids and puppies, wifeykins finally got 2005 taxes filed (in December '06...) so she could apply to sponsor me and when the tax return arrived in January, we sent of our application for PR in Family Class - Spouse.
Sponsorship application approved in Feb, PR application off to London where processing started in March. According to the website, 50% of cases are processed in 4 months, and 70% in 5 months. It is now over 4 months!
I got a letter asking for a police certificate from the UAE (Fedexed to them immediately) and returning my wedding photos and birth cert. Was this my Acknowledgement of Receipt??? It didn't actually say so! It DID say to reply within 45 days with the police cert or have my application cancelled, and of course I didn't take anything like that long.
For those who've been there and done that, what's next? Should I expect a letter any day saying "send you passport"??? If so, do they return passports quickly???

Skydreams
22nd Jul 2007, 03:53
Ive just been through the whole process myself and just got my passport back yesterday, I have 2 months to land as a resident or it expires.
I applied at the end of September 2006, and yes all of a sudden you receive a letter saying "send your passport in to London" - they give you 60 days to send it in, or at least contact them, or again they cancel the whole thing. They then say that it can take up to a month to get your passport back, but fortunately it came back after 2 weeks.
Be patient, its quite frustrating that you cant just phone someone and say "where is my application on the To Do list", as you cant make any plans, but Im sure they would have contacted you if they hadnt received something.

jdsmith
23rd Jul 2007, 01:56
i did it a few years ago.
there is a great group on yahoo.groups
just search [email protected]
great group great info
jeff

Lock n' Load
27th Jul 2007, 16:21
My wife's MP got involved and asked London what was up - letter asking for passport for visa issue has been sent!!!