PDA

View Full Version : Dual EFIS failure ?

Ian Corrigible
17th Jul 2007, 15:54
Seem to recall seeing a recent article regarding a GA aircraft which suffered a failure of both its primary and secondary EFIS systems, which - IIRC - led to a complete loss of navigational capabilities. Possibly an accident investigation report.

Can anyone point me in the right direction (to quote the PIC... :E ) ?

Thanks,
I/C

maxdrypower
17th Jul 2007, 16:02
Interesting I fly an efis aircaft that has suffered failures of both mfd and pfd , I think I said "Oh dear " then got my map out and carried on, no great shakes , how did they lose all naviagtional capabilities? Perhpas you meant the Diamond twinstar that lost both engines after take off due to fadec failure , would that be it ?

dublinpilot
17th Jul 2007, 16:30
Perhaps they were in IMC at the time?

maxdrypower
17th Jul 2007, 16:34
perhaps , but they have standby instruments ,MSA headings ,etc etc , hardly life and limb

Ian Corrigible
17th Jul 2007, 18:50
Finally found it - article is here (http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m0UBT/is_26_21/ai_n19332287).

Thanks anyway,
I/C

maxdrypower
17th Jul 2007, 19:06
Interesting .

Fuji Abound
17th Jul 2007, 21:40
MFD and PFD failure in IMC is an emergency on types where the remaining backup instruments are an AI, magnetic compass, altimiter and AS - the minimium standby instrument configuration.

IO540
18th Jul 2007, 05:14
Interesting article, but I am not sure what it tells us non-King-Air pilots. I suppose there is a poor design feature present, and you do need to be familiar with all the aircraft systems before you fly the thing...

youngskywalker
18th Jul 2007, 10:19
I know the aircraft and the individual involved. All I will say is that if you are a fairly tall Pilot it is possible to miss the DC GEN caption lights on the lower annunciator panel. We experienced this last week when one Generator failed at FL230, yes we got the master caution but the GEN caption light was very difficult to see (especially in bright daytime conditions) unless you looked very carefully. Bad design.