PDA

View Full Version : Differences training PA-28

wrathchild666
17th Jul 2007, 09:30
I'm hoping to move up from the Katana to the PA-28 shortly. Time for something a bit bigger i think. Was wondering though, after undergoing differences training in an Archer, are they sufficiently similar to Warriors to allow me to fly both?

skyhigher
17th Jul 2007, 11:17
i would say thats a good move, and there are not many differences between the archer and warrior. engine size being the main one. from memory the archer is 180 hp and the warrior 160hp.

the differences training might take an hour or two (depending on performance). dont let it cost you too much, thats a word of warning if i'm right in where your flying!

check your pms.

Always Moving
19th Jul 2007, 01:38
They Are PA-28's you have them with 140-160-180 HP and then the Arrow 200HP and retractable.
They are all the same, I gather you are a low timer. It will be just a bit more acceleration and the prop in some and the gear in others.
The katana is a sleek plane so it would help you with the PA28 since is not as sleek.

Good for you that you are trying new things, good luck and read POH

Duchess_Driver
19th Jul 2007, 07:20
You need to be aware that not all PA-28's are the same, as the original PA-28 Cherokee had straight wing leading edges whilst later models were changed. This effects the spinning characteristics - you can't spin the later PA-28's!

Also be very careful with weight and balance, even between Warriors it can be very different!

wrathchild666
19th Jul 2007, 10:37
Cheers for that folks:)

BackPacker
20th Jul 2007, 07:44
I'm fairly low time but checked out on five or so types. Here's what I do when I encounter a new type. Instead of just reading the POH, I make my own personal extract from the POH, containing:
- Speeds that are important but not color coded on the ASI: Vr, Vx, Vy, Va and Vref
- Cruise performance plus fuel flow table + usable fuel per tank
- T/O and L/D distance assuming ISA, nil wind, MSL, MTOW
- Useful load calculation for a sample aircraft from our club, plus a W/B calculation for 2 adults up front, full fuel, nil pax and cargo, to see if there's balance issues. And a W/B calculation for three adults, full fuel, so see if that will work.
- Noise data
This helps me go through the POH a little more structured (although I do read it over in full) and also gives me an idea when the numbers are "tight" in some respect, meaning that I should do a calculation for W&B, performance, distance or whatever for the specific situation.