PDA

View Full Version : Helicopter transfers from Calgary-Help Pls

J32/41
16th Jul 2007, 21:00
Hi Guys

I'm after some help, we require a helicopter for 2 adults & 2 kids for a transfer between Calgary Airport and Banff Ski Resort around December-Feb.

Many Thanks

:cool:

Lock n' Load
17th Jul 2007, 05:21
Try a web search for heli-skiing and Banff and you'll find the local operators. Most use 206s so you might be tight for space and weight... You'll also be at the mercy of the weather. If it's snowing, you ain't flying.

Banff isn't a ski resort though! It's a resort town with a couple of ski hills nearby - Sunshine and Norquay. It's only an hour's drive from YYC so hardly worth the trouble of a helicopter transfer. Besides, you really need a car to get to the slopes (about a 20-30 minute drive depending on your hotel) so why not just rent one from YYC? If you really must have the helicopter, your hotel can probably help.

Some hard-earned advice - don't leave ski boots in your car overnight! I did that once in Banff and I couldn't get the darn things on the next morning - they were frozen solid. :ugh:

dammyneckhurts
18th Jul 2007, 01:51
You wont actually be able to land in Banff, it's in a National Park and the local regs say no landings in the Park. You can however land in Canmore, a town located 13 km from Banff.

Call these guys http://alpinehelicopter.com/home.html , they operate about 15 Bell 212's for heli skiing and several 407's for rescue and sightseeing.

kingoftheslipstream
18th Jul 2007, 09:38
J32/41
That's the outfit to use. They land right in Canmore and it's about a 20 minute ride to Banff from there. Depending on your plans, a Canmore based rental car company will pick you up, or maybe if you're at a Banff hotel, they'll come fetch you from the helipad. Taxis are cheap and plentiful as well. If you rent a car from Canmore, you'll need a Nat'l Park Pass as well - budget for it, it ain't cheap depending on your length of stay. Don't forget to plan an alternative in case weather doesn't cooperate. Also, you'll have to get from the Calgary Airport Terminal around to the west side of the airport to pick up your chopper ride... Alpine's phone number is: (1-403) 678 4802.
Have a great trip! It's truly God's country. I'll be there in Dec. m'self.
Cheers
k-o-t-s

J32/41
19th Jul 2007, 09:18
Thanks guys, just checked with the Fairmont Hotel where we will be staying and they will come and collect us from the helipad.

Thanks again.

:ok:

North Shore
21st Jul 2007, 04:10
Try the drive probably less hassle.

True, but staying at the Fairmont indicates a certain income level..