PDA

View Full Version : Aircraft tug

WorkingHard
16th Jul 2007, 11:06
I am trying to source a battery powered tug to ease getting a C182 in and out of the hanger. I have done the usual searches here and on Google but found nothing so far. Can any one point me in the right direction please?
thanks

cjhants
16th Jul 2007, 13:32
im sure i saw an ad in this months PFA mag, will look it up when i get home, unless somebody beats me to it. we have one in our hangar, but its a bit of a home built jobby.;) and ive never seen anybody use it.

Lister Noble
16th Jul 2007, 18:08
I reckon you could make one from an electric golf trolley, such as my wife uses.
Not expensive and in fact I have one in the garage that is broken and no good for her use, but could be converted as a hangar trolley.
Lister:)

Lister Noble
16th Jul 2007, 18:12
Just looked,try this in google

airplane electric tug

Loads of stuff!

Sometimes you need american spelling to get the results.

Cusco
16th Jul 2007, 18:43
Be wary of the US single wheel tugs (electric or petrol) which depend on down pressure by you for traction if you are contemplating towing on grass (which may be wet): I contacted several of these manufacturers and they would not guarantee good adhesion on wet grass.
Also the flimsy tugs which work by attaching a battery powered electric drill are worse that useless.
I ultimately bought a 4 wheel 36 volt golf buggy/cart from a fellow flyer for GBP600: he in turn got it off ebay for less than this but did replace some of the H/D batteries 6 x 6 volt at GBP 80.00 a pop.
Works a treat shifting our Arrow on wet grass: needs mains electricity though for re charging which may be a problem..........

Ask around at your local golf courses..........

Safe towing
Cusco:):)

scooter boy
17th Jul 2007, 15:48
Workinghard, I have tugs for both of my aircraft - they are both hangared and are never pushed around on grass.

My Mooney Ovation is way too heavy for me to manage alone when more than half full of fuel even on a hard dry surface. I use a Powertow EZ-40 petrol driven single wheel tug. You still have to pull but are somewhat less likely to rupture yourself.

My R44 is also way too heavy for one normal sized person to handle - I have an electric JARA towcart which works a treat.

I prefer electric, your choice depends on the surface you are pulling it over,
SB

WorkingHard
17th Jul 2007, 16:53
Thanks for the info everyone. Scooter boy, where does one source the JARA that you mentioned?

cjhants
17th Jul 2007, 18:48
sorry workinghard, i have looked through the mags and cant find the ad, but i know i have seen it recently:ugh: