PDA

View Full Version : WOW Dash8 @ Man

TheOtherSide
14th Jul 2007, 18:56
What was wrong with the WOW Dash 8 at Manchester on Friday. Full Emergency landed on the other runway and had pax taken away on a bus. Hope everyone was ok.

a bristolian
14th Jul 2007, 20:07
I was on GWOWD on Friday the 13th!.

Very minor problem with underarriage.

Crew VERY professional. Manchester Airport fire crew decided to pose in the middle of 23L with some of the pax as they left the plane - this helped to calm some of the pax , especially the nice girl who was going to BRS on a hen weekend!

Contacttower
14th Jul 2007, 22:01
Very minor problem with underarriage

The Dash 8 has had an airworthiness directive on the landing gear issued in the past, what was the nature of the problem this time?

eastern wiseguy
14th Jul 2007, 22:03
As an operational ATCO I might suggest that the term Full Emergency may have been used in an ATC sense. I may have been inclined to put on a "full emergency"if there was an undercarriage problem or there was a reduction in serviceable engines by a factor of 50%.Other reported problems may elicit a lesser response.

the_flying_cop
14th Jul 2007, 22:23
well when we had a small engine fire a short time ago, the ATC and fire crew at EGCC were absolutely splendid.

we were climbing out when we noticed the problem, a short circuit to land was the order of the day.

by the time we were at base leg, ATC had already organised the whole circus to welcome us home, the fire crews followed us down the runway and gave us a big hearty handshake when we emerged.

the hardest part was convincing them they did not need to dowse the aircraft in foam... itchy trigger fingers on them pumps !!!

Fortunately it all turned out nice, but it was such a nice feeling knowing they were all ready and waiting for us. chatting to the fire crews on 121.6 was a big help too, dont forget to use it if god forbid you find yourselves in that situation.
TFC

spud
15th Jul 2007, 16:32
Pardon me if I'm being thick but is there such a thing as a less than full emergency or is it a bit like calling fully ready when we mean that we're ready?:confused:

scooter boy
15th Jul 2007, 16:35
Exactly spud - "fully ready" "full emergency", what other types of readiness and emergency are there?:confused:

SB

scooter boy
15th Jul 2007, 16:50
I just read the July UK AAIB reports on another forum.

This is the same AirSouthWest Dash 8 that lost a wheel on departure from St Mawgan in a separate incident.

SB

wasdale
15th Jul 2007, 17:10
Just a little pregnant is a full emergency! :}

eastern wiseguy
15th Jul 2007, 18:12
Right scooter wasdale et al.
The term full emergency (as it pertains in this circumstance) relates to the level of attendance of emergency serices in relation to the "emergency" being experienced.All emergencies are NOT equal and in the case of the above(not that I was there) there may well have been fire vehicles and ambulances in attendance. Any further questions?

chiglet
15th Jul 2007, 20:24
"We" as ATC have a "sliding scale".....
1. Medical Emegency...
2. Minor Problem... say a "Flapless landing"..e.g.more or less a "normal" landing, but.....
3. Pan and/or Mayday...Full Emergency
4. Then there are Aircraft Accident, Aircraft Ground Incident, Aircraft Incident, Imminent..etc
1. "Priority Approach and Landing..Medics informed.
2. "Local Standby" AFS ready to roll, Local FS informed
3. "Full Emegency" AFS is in [pre allocacated] positions, Local FS either en-route or [if time permits] at the Airport.
4. Hit the "Crash" button, Phone call, see 3 above
Anything else, quietly and calmly, leave your post, go to the nearest corner and shout for help.....:E
watp,iktch