PDA

View Full Version : new zealand pilot flies again after crash

mrshoe
14th Jul 2007, 15:49
Barry Cardno, Pilot, Wanaka, South Island, New Zealand.
I met Barry in October 2006 by complete chance at Lasham. As soon as I heard his voice, I recognized where he is from and introduced myself as a fellow Kiwi and drove him back to Clapham, London. Well, I have a NZ birth certificate and had happy times whilst living in Auckland and later on managing The D4 who have played at the Wanaka Music Festival. Barry has regained his wings after a plane crash in 1995 where he broke his back. His dreams now are to share the freedom, joy and accomplishment of flying with intellectually or physically disabled children and young people, and inspire them by example to aim high and not give up on their own dreams. His story is below…

As far back as I can remember I wanted to be a pilot.

The Southern Alps of New Zealand at Wanaka was where I began life in October 1973.

It was there where I was first bitten by the flying bug. An uncle by marriage who lived nearby made such a powerful impression that I aspired to one day be as much like him as possible. He owned a fixed-wing scenic flight and charter business. A big man with a casual, capable manner, sometimes he would land his planes in the paddock next to his house.

read the rest of the story at freedom-in-the-air (dot) com