PDA

View Full Version : Are these Beaufort propellers ?

henry crun
12th Jul 2007, 04:28
A small museum in a little country town in New Zealand has two propeller blades to hold the doors open, which they claim to be from a Bristol Beaufort.
The museum is devoted entirely to local historical artefacts and has no other aviation content.

The previous owners were a nearby, now closed, Masonic lodge which used them for decoration.
That is as much as I can find out about their history.

Each blade is 1270mm from base to tip, and 195mm across at the widest point. Around the base is stamped the following..................
Change AD L3451 ACH 43631 DLOG-No 6095 A-B MFG 64480 ATC 301

I am sceptical about the claim because as far as I can establish the RNZAF never had Beauforts.
The RAAF had several hundred so it is possible the blades came from a visitor, though I cannot think why they would leave behind apparently serviceable blades.

The reason I doubt their origin is that they do not look large enough to be from the 3 bladed propeller of a 1200hp engine.

What does the team think ?

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v712/crun9/Beaufortprop.jpg

tail wheel
12th Jul 2007, 12:09
Henry. There is a Beaufort prop complete in the Bamaga airport "terminal" (and I use the term "terminal" very loosely :hmm: ) on the tip of Cape York in Far North Queensland, Australia. The blade in your photo looks very similar.

There is also a couple of Beaufort (or maybe Beaufighter - I don't remember) fuselages, wings and apendages in reasonably good condition and appear restorable across the air field, directly opposite the terminal.

henry crun
13th Jul 2007, 05:21
Thank you tail wheel, I will try and contact someone at that airfield.

tinpis
13th Jul 2007, 07:01
(ring ...ring ring....ring..)

"Yimbamboola! waddaya mate ?"

"I say, is that Bamaga Airport Terminal? Crun here from New Zealand"

"Haaaaay is dat da KFC mate yo ? "

Akubra
13th Jul 2007, 08:16
Hi
There is a Beaufort been restored to flying condition not to far from here.
You could drop them an email at [email protected]

I plan on dropping in within the next few weeks to see their progress.
http://www.beaufortrestoration.com.au

troppo
13th Jul 2007, 08:22
geraldine?

henry crun
13th Jul 2007, 08:56
Thanks Akubra, that looks like a more promising line of enquiry.

Mycroft
15th Jul 2007, 01:49
Form your description of the stamped numbers on the base L3451 could be an RAF Serial number, however I do not have a reference for aircraft histories by serial.
Checking Beaufort production, all were built with later serials, the prototype being L4441 and the first batch being L4441-L4518.
As far as I can tell almost all pacific Beauforts would have been of Australian manufacture and the serials would have been in the A9 series and would never have received RAF numbers. Some appear to have served for a brief period with 489 (NZ) squadron, mainly in Scotland.
The size may also be suspect, although I cannot find accurate info for the beaufort, most Hamilton/DH Hydromatic Props are aroung 10' diameter, giving a blade length of around 1700-1800 mm

henry crun
23rd Jul 2007, 03:37
Akubra: They have not replied to my email of a week ago.

If you do visit would you see if they have a propeller there, and if it is the same size or different to the one I have pictured ?

Akubra
23rd Jul 2007, 08:42
No problems henry crun, I will take a few pictures and post them here as well.

Cool banana
23rd Jul 2007, 12:58
The 3 Bladed prop and spinner at Bamaga airport Terminal carpark are off an Kittyhawk.

Mike6567
10th Aug 2007, 20:23
http://i186.photobucket.com/albums/x167/mike6567_photos/wd224.jpg
From an old album St Eval 1940.
Probably of no relevance but thought you might be interested.

henry crun
10th Aug 2007, 21:50
Thank you Mike, it reinforces my belief that the one I mention in the opening post is not long enough to be from a Beaufort.

We do not know how tall Kenny is, but comparing him with the length of a single blade suggests to me that it is longer than 1270mm.
What would the distance be from spinner centre to outside the cowling ? and then consider that at least 75% of the blade is outside the cowling.

henry crun
2nd Oct 2007, 21:18
Akubra: My question has been answered in the May 2007 issue of Aeroplane magazine.

There is a long article about the Beaufort in which it says the propellers were 12ft in diameter.
The ones I asked about, single blade being 50 inches long, could not have come from a Beaufort.

Akubra
4th Oct 2007, 11:56
You will have to let them know of your findings the next time you visit this museum.
Sorry I still haven't gotten to see the local Beaufort thats been restored. When I do, I will post here on its progress anyway.

still-learning
6th Oct 2007, 21:20
I think the clue is the 6095, which is probably a Hamilton Standard designation. It certainly looks similar to a counterweight prop type blade as per Stearmans, Broussards etc, that are around this length. The Beaufighter props I've worked on were much bigger, and around twice the width at their widest point.

Kiwiguy
5th Nov 2007, 11:18
We do not know how tall Kenny is, but comparing him with the length of a single blade suggests to me that it is longer than 1270mm.

Henry mate as an artist I think I should point out something to ya mate.

It even affects pilots in VFR...

A little matter called perspective.

That's how you can tell the difference between a fly on the windscreen and approaching traffic.

This Kenny fellah is standing a good 12 feet back from the props so the props seem bigger.

RNZAF did operate Vickers Wilderbeasts in the early war so they may be blades from those... just a hunch.

henry crun
5th Nov 2007, 20:24
Kiwiguy: I am aware of perspective, and considered it in my remark.

Kenny is standing about mid chord and his head appears to still be well clear of the wing under surface, this would put the centre of the spinner a fair way off the ground.
Now think of him as being of average height, straighten that bottom prop, and it all adds up to being a lot longer than the 4ft 2inch blade in my pic.