View Full Version : SID - Altitudes

fireflybob
11th Jul 2007, 19:11
You have been cleared for a SID which is initially to 3,000 ft, then cross XXX at 4,000 ft, YYYY at 5,000 ft. After departure having levelled at 3,000 ft you are cleared to route direct to YYYY which is close to the SID track. Should you observe the 4,000 ft and 5,000 ft requirements? This happened to me recently on departure from an Italian airport.

Thanks for any comments

SM4 Pirate
11th Jul 2007, 22:50
No, direct tracking constitutes an amended clearance and any requirements applicable to that (new) clearance should be expressed.

But if in doubt, ask.

"Confirm cancel SID?"

Localiser Established
13th Jul 2007, 22:03
What if the SID is not being cancelled, but you're cleared to the end point of the SID very early on, do the maximum altitudes still apply at certain points?

(Correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought the maximum altitudes at some of the points were there to keep you out of controlled airspace until a clearance was received)

fireflybob
14th Jul 2007, 01:28
This SID was from an airport inside CAS - the initial altitude is 3,000 ft and then there are other geographical points which must be crossed at 4,000 ft and 5,000 ft.

Chilli Monster
14th Jul 2007, 02:10
What if the SID is not being cancelled, but you're cleared to the end point of the SID very early on, do the maximum altitudes still apply at certain points?

No - see post 2

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought the maximum altitudes at some of the points were there to keep you out of controlled airspace until a clearance was received

A SID can only be contained within CAS. If it's outside, it's not technically a SID.

Localiser Established
15th Jul 2007, 15:45
Sorry, my bad. It was an SDR.