PDA

View Full Version : The big merged L1011 thread

Pages : 1 [2] 3

411A
29th Dec 2007, 14:10
No, 194AT is not 'finished'.

Personally noticed parking on apron 6 early this morning, and loading for an outbound flight.
Clearly still operating.

The -ex Globejet (acft) company is activly looking for crews.
Kinda late for this kind of thing...:ugh:

PH-SCP
31st Dec 2007, 11:34
Check out this one..

http://www.skyliner-aviation.de/viewphoto.main?LC=nav2&picid=4333

411A
1st Jan 2008, 07:19
Check out this one..

http://www.skyliner-aviation.de/view...av2&picid=4333

No mystery...leased to the Saudi CAA for deportee flights.

CS-TMX
2nd Jan 2008, 08:02
Hi everybody!
I'm back in Hajj with 'my' L-1011 and yesterday I saw N194AT active at Jeddah. I also saw Elsaker's XT-BRK.
Here are the photos!
http://img255.imageshack.us/img255/3515/img1516kb4.jpg
http://img255.imageshack.us/img255/2069/img1503bn6.jpg

I also saw Privilege Jet's L-1011 TL-ADW at JED although it was not parked at Hajjīs apron.

Best regards and happy New Year ;)

AAL
2nd Jan 2008, 08:31
If N194AT was only allowed the ferry-flight out of the US with the N194AT registration number, surely it is now flying illegal.

It is clear on CS-TMX's picture above that it is still carrying the N number. Rumour, although much against general opinion, was last that the machine would be registerd in Nigeria to fly this Hajj.

How is it possible then that an aircraft that can almost certainly be registered nowehere else and allegedly direly in need of an outstanding D-Check be flying commercially on the N register and the USA authorities be doing nothing about it?

CS-TMX
2nd Jan 2008, 08:41
Well... I think the other L-1011s are also flying illegal... I'm pretty sure they don't have complied with the axial motion detection A/D. My airline spent some good bucks with that A/D...
We are an EASA compliant and EU registered airline so we must comply or otherwise we lose our AOC.

411A
2nd Jan 2008, 16:13
I'm pretty sure they don't have complied with the axial motion detection A/D.

You might well be totally surprised by the respective AD compliance of the two specified aircraft....:}

Skystar320
2nd Jan 2008, 21:38
Hi Guys,

This is way off = topic but does anyone know what L1011 has been brought buy a bunch of guys over in Bangladesh? Delivery FEB 08

Earl
3rd Jan 2008, 01:17
There was some talk 3 weeks ago from a Bangladeshi named Sabir that was funding the Skyeyes freighter in BKK.
His company is RAK freight I think out of DXB.
He claimed to have bought all 3 Thaisky Tristars.
2 pax and 1 freighter.
But his whole cockpit crew walked out of Skyeyes 3 weeks ago over salary issues, non payment reduced payments etc.
Some are owed months of back salary and returned with the promise of back salary to be paid, this never happened.
The owner of Skyeyes (Sunny) tried to reduce salaries of some others after bringing them to BKK.
The ground engineers with this company, 2 Egyptians are not very good as the state of the aircraft clearly shows.
This info is 100% correct, be careful of these ones, they talk a good game.
There also talk of the lease company Atlantico (not sure of the correct spelling)
wanting to repo this skyeyes freighter for non payment of the lease and is being blocked by the Thai courts.
I heard an attempt to repo the aircraft was tried a while back and the repo crew was detained.

GotTheTshirt
4th Jan 2008, 01:38
Hi Earl,
Is that the -1 Freighter (s/n 1012) ex Tradewinds or the -200 (s/n 1212) ex Lanta/KittyHawk.

If it is the Thaisky one then I guess its the -1
Sunny had the -200

What are they doing about the engine AD?:confused:

Earl
4th Jan 2008, 04:10
The Thaisky one is the -1 Freighter 522 engines.
Skyeyes is the -200 524 engines.
I did ask these Egyptians ground engineers about this engine A/D on the three -100's
They stated that it had been complied with through some kind of alternate means of compliance.
This Egli guy was supposed to be preparing the -1 freighter for a DHL contract flying into Iraq, but Sabir claims he bought the aircraft.
Was getting to be like a soap opera there.
Things may have changed in the last few weeks in BKK but have my doubts.

AAL
4th Jan 2008, 05:45
All the Thaisky L1011's were grounded because they dont comply with AD's. Egli did go and look at the -1 but only a miracle and lots of money will make it fly again.

There is an international travel ban on Egli for his escapades in Liberia and Sierra Leone, dont know how he manages to move around so freely(Dont shoot me - only the messenger) so also dont know or understand that DHL will do business with him.

Believe that some of the Thaisky crew are now busy flying the Hajj for Mr Muhgrabi, on a US N registered (ferry-flight) aicraft.

GotTheTshirt
4th Jan 2008, 13:38
AAL / Earl

Any idea where the Thai registered -200 freighter is now ?

It was originally leased to Sunny by the Belgian company but grabbed in FUJ.
Last I heard it was sitting there but I guess it may have ended up back in Bangkok. This aircraft had the AD done on the engines:)

Funny enough there is an alternate means to comply with the engine AD but only on the 524 ! not 22B.

The other -200F ( that started this thread !) is still in Greece:}

CS-TMX
4th Jan 2008, 15:47
It seems that Elsaker's XT-BRK is grounded at Jeddah? Saw N194AT active again.

411A
4th Jan 2008, 18:03
It seems that Elsaker's XT-BRK is grounded at Jeddah?

Yes, but due to a 'misunderstanding' about landing without the necessary permit.
Fine already paid, so I'm told.

Earl
5th Jan 2008, 03:00
Quote AAL:
Believe that some of the Thaisky crew are now busy flying the Hajj for Mr Muhgrabi, on a US N registered (ferry-flight) aircraft.

Earl: Most are ex ATA and flew this aircraft before and know the history and the reason ATA parked it.

GotTheTshirt Quote:
Any idea where the Thai registered -200 freighter is now ?

Earl:
As of December 12th 2007 it was in BKK, probably is till there.
They tried to do a RVSM certification flight with the Thai DCA on board.
Aircraft would not pressurize, neither autopilots would engage so the flight returned to BKK.
Also the number R5 spoiler would intermittently pop up full every time flaps 4 was selected.
Crew walked off due to payment issues after this, so whats going on now is anyones guess.
Egyptian ground engineers at there finest hour!
But then again, you get what you pay for!

GotTheTshirt
5th Jan 2008, 17:20
TMX

Is N194AT still flying with US reg?:confused:

According to the airline website it now has a Nigerian reg :hmm:

PH-SCP
5th Jan 2008, 18:44
According to the FAA website it's still current on the US register:

http://registry.faa.gov/aircraftinquiry/NNumSQL.asp?NNumbertxt=194AT

CS-TMX
5th Jan 2008, 18:49
The last time I saw it (4th January 2008) it only had the N-number.

Here is a picture taken last 1th January:

http://img167.imageshack.us/img167/4999/img1517tm5.jpg

411A
7th Jan 2008, 08:58
Yep, still the same, saw it yesterday parked next to my aircraft on apron 6 receiving pax onboard...N194AT.

OldCessna
7th Jan 2008, 17:41
Quote: 411A

Yep, still the same, saw it yesterday parked next to my aircraft on apron 6 receiving pax onboard...N194AT.

Hey 411 does that mean you have your aircraft up & running now?

Whats the status?

CS-TMX
7th Jan 2008, 20:10
Yesterday I saw Privelege's L-1011 (msn 293B-1242) with reg TL-ADW at JED. XT-BRK seems to be stopped always at same stand.

http://img516.imageshack.us/img516/233/img1532pw4.jpg

Earl
28th Jan 2008, 22:08
N194AT seen today parked in Lahore Pakistan (LHE).
Guess he is taking his corruption to the Pakistanis now.
Hope is not doing the UN flights.

411A
29th Jan 2008, 08:06
Hope is not doing the UN flights.

Word on the street is that is what is proposed...

GotTheTshirt
30th Jan 2008, 07:37
I wonder which Part of the FAR's is N194 operating for hire and reward:}

Also which FAA regional office hold their certificates:ugh:

fergineer
30th Jan 2008, 21:02
Will it ever end......hopefully not in tears......Someone somewhere must be able to give the appropriate authorities the information that is required to get this fool off the streets......There are people that see this aircrafty in their travels.....do something about it before it does it to you.

411A
1st Feb 2008, 11:51
I wonder which Part of the FAR's is N194 operating for hire and reward
Also which FAA regional office hold their certificates

No FAA AOC... the aircraft is leased to a foreign air carrier, with the lease tailored to comply with 14CFR91 and 14CFR125, common with some business jets.
A loop-hole?
Yes, I expect so.
Also, I was told that the aeroplane is in remarkably good condition, and proved quite reliable during Hajj flying.

Dunno for sure, however.

Earl
2nd Feb 2008, 02:58
Loop hole.
We will see.

GotTheTshirt
2nd Feb 2008, 07:53

By Also, I was told that the aeroplane is in remarkably good condition,

I assume, by this you mean the paint job was sparkling !

Both 91 and 125 require the aircraft be Maintained by a program approved by the Administator although 91 allows a program approved by the manufacturer which in the case of Lockheed is C check every 13 months not to exceed 15 months, plus both 91 and 125 require the aircraft and engines to comply with TCDS including all requirements of 14 CFR39 [COLOR="red"](AD,s)

411A
2nd Feb 2008, 14:23
Well yes, it did look rather spiffy, from afar.:}

Both 91 and 125 require the aircraft be Maintained by a program approved by the Administator although 91 allows a program approved by the manufacturer which in the case of Lockheed is C check every 13 months not to exceed 15 months, plus both 91 and 125 require the aircraft and engines to comply with TCDS including all requirements of 14 CFR39

And, how do you know it does not?
Much speculation here it appears, by folks clearly not in the know.
I was told that the aeroplane in question is on a 4200 hours/no calendar limit inspection program, and indeed this has been approved for others, including the one I am flying now.
Indeed, a waiver might well have been obtained for the engine shaft-axial motion AD, among others....stranger things have happened.
Why not travel to the aeroplanes present location, and find out for yourself, if interested...then you would know for sure, maybe.:hmm:

glhcarl
4th Feb 2008, 01:07
411A:

I would doubt any regulatory agency would approve a 4,200 hour/no calender limit between C-Checks for the L-1011, without approval by Lockheed. Having worked in Lockheed product support for 20 years, where the approval would have to come from, I can assure you there is no way something like that would be approved. If fact like GotTheTShirt said only an experanced operator would get the extension from 12 to 15 months.

411A
4th Feb 2008, 11:16
I would doubt any regulatory agency would approve a 4,200 hour/no calender limit between C-Checks for the L-1011, without approval by Lockheed.

In actual fact, this is incorrect.
The ex- British Airways L1011-200's that were converted by Marshals to freighters had such an approved maintenance program, and it is still in force today.
Additionally, several other operators also have this maintenance program in force now, and yes, I have seen the approval in writing, from the concerned regulatory authorities.
Specific authority from Lockheed is, in these instances, not required.
Lockheed have, more or less, washed their collective hands of the L1011, and quite frankly, no longer appear to be interested...even for an (excessive) fee.:}

glhcarl
4th Feb 2008, 15:01
411A:

If Lockheed has washed there hands of the L-1011 why then did they just pay to move over a dozen people that work on the L-1011 program from Greenville, SC to Marietta, GA?

Marshall has the design authority for the L-1011 crago door conversion and for the RAF modifications. Lockheed still has the authority for the remainder of the aircraft.

GotTheTshirt
5th Feb 2008, 10:58
I was involved with the program that you refer to which was in fact approved for Kitty Hawk.

The program was approved on the basis that Kitty Hawk were then flying 3,500 hours per year and thus the program did not exceed the Lockheed recommendations. The program also stated that if the utilisation changed the program would be reviewed

I did in fact miss a word out in my prevoius it should have added the word
responsible regulatory authority.
Yes other people have used that program ( Copied word for word !!) but not in civilised countries.
I have been involved with 3 programs in Europe and none will exceed the Lockheed recomendation.
Isnt it funny that this wonderful program was not used by Delta or ATA who followed the Lockheed recomendation.
Please let us know the countries/operators that you claim are using this program - it would make interesting reading!

Of course I notice you did not mention the CPCP AD which still requires all the calender inspections. This is why responsible operators do not use the 4,200 hour progrm in that IF you follow the rules there is little to be gained

411A
6th Feb 2008, 11:38
Of course I notice you did not mention the CPCP AD which still requires all the calender inspections. This is why responsible operators do not use the 4,200 hour progrm in that IF you follow the rules there is little to be gained

CPCP has been ammended to co-exist with the 4200 hour program, however, the specific program, as designed, does require enhanced A/B checks, which are still cost effective.
In addition, if the aircraft is stored, it must be on an approved program for either active or in-active storge...simply parking it in the desert without due regard, doesn't work.

Skystar320
11th Feb 2008, 03:00
Anyone heard of two L1011 pax aircraft that have been purchased by an Bangladesh airline.

To be delivered by the end of feb early march?

Earl
11th Feb 2008, 03:51
May be the ones that Sabir a Bangladeshi bought from thaisky.
He is the Bangladeshi money man funding Skyeyes now.
But he has no experience in operating Tristars.
The skeyeyes owner keeps claiming poverty (Sunny) yet attracts new investors
until they figure out his B/S.
Thats why all his crew walked off a few months ago.
These 2 aircraft have the 522 engines on them.
Bad news in the Tristar world, engine A/D's are very expensive thats why most are grounded now.
Will be in BKK in a few days and can give better info.

CEJM
13th Feb 2008, 16:54
Sorry guy's no new info on the 'New cargo outfit out of Cyprus'.

However some news from The Netherlands a.k.a. cloggyland.

Interstate Airlines has decided against operating any L1011's. The reasons given for this decision are: High fuel costs, age of the aircaft :hmm: and the price of the dollar.

Interesting thread this is. Good to see how the L1011 community keeps each other informed. The other 'professional' pilots on this forum could learn from this.

CS-TMX
13th Feb 2008, 16:58
Yes, but one of its L-1011 (the supposed PH-RST) was negotiated with another airline which already operates a fleet of L-1011 and will incorporate it!

fergineer
13th Feb 2008, 17:46
So are they going to get the aircraft or not? They have taken all mention ofit from their website.

CEJM
13th Feb 2008, 17:49
Fergineer,

If you are talking about Interstate Airlines than the answer is short and simple; No, they won't get any L1011's.

Which is better, because the owner can not be trusted. He conned several people that i know of.

GotTheTshirt
13th Feb 2008, 20:57
Cr2

Sorry If I offended
Will refrain from Posting on this interesting L1011 thread !

OldCessna
14th Feb 2008, 17:30
So are they going to get the aircraft or not? They have taken all mention of it from their website.

The problem Interstate had was credibility in Operations, Maintenance & Sales

There's no L1011 crews who would go work for them.

Their track record is well known just "Google" the principals!

Operating an L1011 is somewhat different to an ATR.

Skystar320
20th Feb 2008, 22:27
Anyone know the aircraft that a group of Sth East Asian's are visting to purchase in Dubai / Egypt?

OldCessna
25th Feb 2008, 16:56
It's probably the Belgian's L1011F that is parked in Fujairah

It was snatched back from SkyEyes then got stuck there as it needed a Thai crew to move it.

Earl
26th Feb 2008, 15:42
So Sunnys Skyeyes airplane is impounded now?
Great news, he had it coming!
Wonder what his Bangladeshi investors are saying now?
Was a lot of talk about crews cutting a deal with the Lease holder and flying this aircraft out of Thai jurisdiction.
Since I heard he never paid the lease payments as stated on the lease agreement.
This guy owes a lot of crews quite a bit of unpaid salary.
Thai corruption backed him up in the courts I understand and took his side, saying he could only pay partial lease payments.
The crews are there, some with current Thai validations for this company.
This should be easy to find and ones that are more than willing to do this, just to see this Sunny go down for the last time, faster than A BKK hooker.

camilo1
27th Feb 2008, 01:24
Could a L-1011 freighter be made stage IV noise compliant. Are there any hush kits on the market for it?.

411A
27th Feb 2008, 03:59
Very unlikely...and no hushkits that I'm aware of.

Earl
28th Feb 2008, 12:41
Sky eyes freighter is still here in BKK, has not moved since the Cambodian flight.
With the state of repair and the Egyptian ground engineers doubt it ever will move.
The old Tradewinds/Thaisky freighter has been bought and made ready for use by Sabir the Bangladeshi guy.
Said to be soon registered in Bangladesh operating freight out of BKK to China.
This Sabir guy does pay, but don't expect him to pay Sunnys past bad debts.
Any agreements made for crew should be made with Sabir and not Sunny at skyeyes.
Still a risk but think he is more reliable.
I hear this old Thaisky/Tradewinds freighter has nothing to do with Sunny at skyeyes.

The past crew pay issues was because of Sunny not Sabir I am told, but still proceed with caution until this guy proves his self and has a track record.

tonytech2
28th Feb 2008, 20:34
Happy to see that L-1011 S/N 1012 (formerly N311EA) will fly again. Saw it being built at Palmdale, worked on it at Eastern and at Tradewinds. Wonder though, who did the mandatory LP shaft displacement detector mod on the three engines? Hadn't heard anyone had done any on the 22B models. Having seen the result of a LP fan being released in the Nbr 2 position on a Tristar, its really a good idea.

Not Invented Here
8th Sep 2008, 21:43
Better late than never!
The ex BA/Caledonian Tristars ended up on a 24 month C Check programme with a 5000 FH cap - worked well if it was supported by good Hangar A Checks and experienced engineers.

OldCessna
9th Sep 2008, 15:49
The three L1011F stored at VCV have been sold.

They were owned by the "Belgian"

Be interesting to see what happens with them!

411A
9th Sep 2008, 15:57
Sadly, those three aircraft were in a sorry state.
Two had engines missing, and all had parts/avionics missing...stolen, as reported by those in the know.

tonytech2
9th Sep 2008, 20:51
Question: Did they ever get L-1011-1 MSN 1012 back in the air? Several folks at Tradewinds wondering.

fergineer
10th Sep 2008, 03:46
If the remaining -f were anything like the one that I flew good luck.....As for the missing bits well they will just replace with anything get another paper C check done and fly till caught.....

camilo1
13th Sep 2008, 22:31
YouTube - L-1011 TRISTAR walkaround Lockheed L1011 (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LKSawEzzqEE)

OldCessna
14th Sep 2008, 00:06
Hey Camilo

Is the Globejet L1011 OD-ZEE still parked in Viru Viru, Santa Cruz?

I heard it may have been sold?

camilo1
14th Sep 2008, 02:23
Hi OldCessna

I really don`t know but you can see it parked in this video

YouTube - Aerosur B727 Cp-2498 Taking off from VVi to Eze (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yeVbpl4cBWo)

411A
14th Sep 2008, 04:27
I heard it may have been sold?

It was sold last October.
New owner, Kellet al-Saker.

Earl
14th Sep 2008, 06:49
Aircraft left Santa Cruz a few months ago.
Did hear some rumors that the company did not pay Globejet for the 3 airplanes but cannot confirm this.
Understand there was some serious payment issues from the crews with the company after operating the other 2 of them for haj.
Seems the crews were stuck in JED for a while also.
Talked to a few of them there, no one really knew the reason why the aircraft was on hold for weeks.

OD-ZEE was parked in VVI since March 2007.
Did the last flight from Madrid on this one, then the ACMI company we were flying for LAB went down the tubes.
Airplane was in excellent shape back then.

411A
14th Sep 2008, 16:51
Seems the crews were stuck in JED for a while also.
Talked to a few of them there, no one really knew the reason why the aircraft was on hold for weeks.

It was really quite simple.
The airplane landed at MED instead of JED, as their permit specified.
Not a diversion, a planned reschedule.
The GACA was not amused.
All further flights suspended, and another carrier brought in to handle their remaining flights.
Aircraft impounded.
Near the end of scheduled Hajj ops, the airplane was released to depart, and the final instructions were...do not return, even if you are on fire.
The new owners (provided the airplanes were actually paid for) are based BEN...no love lost between the two countries.

Flying Mechanic
15th Sep 2008, 03:02
whose is that Tristar parked at CDG? UAE reg, its been on the cargo ramp for a while...and need a wash!

411A
15th Sep 2008, 03:12
whose is that Tristar parked at CDG? UAE reg, its been on the cargo ramp for a while...and need a wash!

The airplane belongs to Star Air, Damascus, a -500.
Was flying sub-service for Olympic a few years ago when an engine went unservicable, the French DGCA would not allow a ferry flight on two engines, so a new engine was ordered...then not fully paid for.
So, now it remains...:}

Skystar320
19th Sep 2008, 11:05
So whats happening with 193C-1199 & -1225

OldCessna
19th Sep 2008, 15:39

Operated by Air Rum believe getting ready for the Hajj

Skystar320
19th Sep 2008, 23:14
I heard they had been sold!

OldCessna
20th Sep 2008, 18:22
Skystar320
I heard they had been sold!

Any ideas to whom?

I heard Luzair bought a couple of relics

Skystar320
21st Sep 2008, 23:58
not related to Sabri in Bangladesh, but an upstart carrier based in Bangladesh

411A
24th Sep 2008, 00:07

-1226, also.
Saudi FOC now issued, well ahead of schedule.

superspotter
24th Sep 2008, 04:51
Just to ley you guys know, I saw c/n 1012 in Dhaka, Bangladesh on the 15th August last wearing the registration S2-AET apparently owned by a company called Zoom Airlines but was wearing different tiltes to that of which I cannot remember.

OldCessna
24th Sep 2008, 15:14
Quote:

-1226, also.
Saudi FOC now issued, well ahead of schedule.

Hey 411A knowing that you are not a 'corner cutter" and go by the book, how have you accomplished the Axial Motion AD on the engines?

Nippon1
24th Sep 2008, 19:38
Been to Dhaka today.....S2-AET is still there and has been for some time now...it is painted in Thai SKY Cargo colours

411A
25th Sep 2008, 10:50
Hey 411A knowing that you are not a 'corner cutter" and go by the book, how have you accomplished the Axial Motion AD on the engines?

Deferred by relevant CAA iaw RR documentation, and have the LOA to prove it.
Limited time only, however.

GotTheTshirt
25th Sep 2008, 11:37
Deferred by relevant CAA

And which Sterling Civil Aviation Authority would that be ??

Certainly well South of EASA and well East of the FAA:}

411A
25th Sep 2008, 19:16
Certainly well South of EASA and well East of the FAA

Yup, just about right...:}

Earl
26th Sep 2008, 00:45
Registration of convenience?
Guess this CAA knows more than Mr. Rolls Royce and Lockheed about what is due and what is not.

OldCessna
26th Sep 2008, 00:57
411A
Deferred by relevant CAA iaw RR documentation, and have the LOA to prove it.
Limited time only, however.

I can only assume it will cover the Hajj then?

Sort of making a pilgrimage in more ways than one?

Earl
26th Sep 2008, 01:04
Was this like the Orange Air/Linejet N-194AT FAA Ferry permit from MIA last year?
Sorry..... had to laugh and throw that one in.....
Been there done that.
So with the crews operating a known questionable A/D issue and placing your license on the line being fully aware of this, the pay must be really high?
Not a normal flight we have all done them with haj for many years.
Just because someone in a apparent local high position says its ok is not enough, your ass is still on the line if something happens.
Cant have it both ways.....

Earl
26th Sep 2008, 01:27
Are there any Tristar companies left that actually operate correctly , pay the crews as promised and follow the regulations?
Doubt it, seems Globejet with Joe Attalh and Miranda was the last ones, at least with the crew issues!!!!
We were paid and treated well!

CS-TMX
26th Sep 2008, 05:49
Are there any Tristar companies left that actually operate correctly , pay the crews as promised and follow the regulations?
Doubt it, seems Globejet with Joe Attalh and Miranda was the last ones, at least with the crew issues!!!!
We were paid and treated well!

You have LUZair and euroAtlantic. They pay their crews, operate the entire year (not only for Hajj) and operate under EASA regulations.

411A
26th Sep 2008, 09:41
Was this like the Orange Air/Linejet N-194AT FAA Ferry permit from MIA last year?

No, not similar at all.
If you actually read above, you will notice that the extension procedure is RR approved....and contrary to what TShirt might expect.

By the way, LineJet has another airplane, from the same source, same circumstances as with the first, is the rumour.
Delivered last month, and it will retain FAA registration.
They also have their Saudi FOC approved, so I'm told.
A third airplane is in the works for these folks, for spares.

I can only assume it will cover the Hajj then?

Sort of making a pilgrimage in more ways than one?

No, longer, as follow on contracts are in negotiations now.

GotTheTshirt
27th Sep 2008, 12:42
The RR letter is standard and I have only seen it issued ( On several occasions) BUT only have to kits have been ordered to at least show there is some intent to comply
To order the kit requires full payment to RR at $125,000 a copy.
Also the RR letter is only support the final approval has to come from the Airworthiness Authority
Of course I am sure that your people have done that :O
Oh silly me - not a problem !:}

Makes no difference.
We (in the USA) do, that's all that matters.
Full stop.
Recognise this from another site:)

You indicate that the FAA are the world Authority but they have never given dispensation for this:ugh:

CargoOne
27th Sep 2008, 15:30

Try RAF :}

glhcarl
27th Sep 2008, 18:00

Orbital Science!

They are even converting there aircraft to a -200, removing the 22B's and installing 524's, plus addtional work.

OldCessna
28th Sep 2008, 00:43
The L1011 market is hotting up!

The ATA aircraft should be sold this coming week!

Couple of freighters are also scheduled for reactivation. (not the Belgian)

Several deals pending in the Middle East!

Any info let me know or PM me.

glhcarl
28th Sep 2008, 03:35
The L1011 market is hotting up!

I heard that the "hostpital ship" is scheduled into Delta for a check and with a plan to put in back into operation?

411A
28th Sep 2008, 16:37
You indicate that the FAA are the world Authority but they have never given dispensation for this

Only for ops with FAA registry.
As many aeroplanes operate outside of FAA-land (and indeed, outside of EASA-land), it is entirely up to the relevant aviation authority of the country of registration.
All quite basic, TShirt, but I'm sure you knew this already...:ugh:
I heard that the "hostpital ship" is scheduled into Delta for a check and with a plan to put in back into operation?

Yes, so it would seem.
One other -500 operator is about to sign a multi-year charter contract, with another operator looking for a another -500, to do the same.
Quite some positive action in an otherwise down market.

GotTheTshirt
29th Sep 2008, 07:25
All quite basic, TShirt, but I'm sure you knew this already...

Yes You are correct but my point was that on other forums you are holding the FAA up as the only (world) authority that we should all follow but then you fly for operator (s!) that avoid every FAA rule that may cost them money.

Avoiding the Axial motion AD is purely financial driven and no other reason - they have had 5 years to accomplish this mod and avoided it :ugh:

And just to prempt your next post that the kits are not available, this is BS.
Mr RR has kits available.
Kits are available and Orbital have just carried it out on the 524's they are putting in their aircraft.

Regarding your "FAA ops only" comment this is also rubbish! Even EASA require you to follow FAA AD's on US manufactured products.
If it were not for FAA AD's many countries would not have AD's at all:}

411A
29th Sep 2008, 12:13
Yes You are correct but my point was that on other forums you are holding the FAA up as the only (world) authority that we should all follow but then you fly for operator (s!) that avoid every FAA rule that may cost them money.

Seems you speak with forked tounge, TShirt.

First, its...
Yes, You are correct...

then, its...Regarding your "FAA ops only" comment this is also rubbish!

Really, you should make up your mind, old boy.:}

Now, as to...Avoiding the Axial motion AD is purely financial driven and no other reason - they have had 5 years to accomplish this mod and avoided it
Entirely correct, and with full RR and regulatory authority compliance, via LOA.
It's called, efficient regulatory approved ops.
We need only look at a few other operators for entirely more obtuse regulatory oversight...bits of engines falling off airplanes at JED, is but one small example.
In fact, after four months of inspections by no less than five regulatory authorities, they all seemed rather impressed with the companies aircraft, and their maintenance state.
Of course, as you undoubtedly know nothing of all this, your comments otherwise are simply unsubstantiated conjecture on your part.
Why should we not be surprised...?:}:ugh:

Earl
29th Sep 2008, 13:51
You got that one correct 411 about some companies and the engines falling apart in jed.
Surprised they have not killed anyone yet with the bad maint. and lack of oversight of this ACMI company.
Funny thing though all of there paperwork is correct.
Compared to the operator I think you are referring to your Tristars should do just fine.

OldCessna
29th Sep 2008, 14:33
Earl is spot on. Many operators have paperwork that says the maintenance has been done, the Ad complied with, or exemptions but is in reality All Smoke & Mirrors.

Someone needs to start checking the O2 Generators, RAT triggers etc.

Both life limited parts!

Flying Mechanic
29th Sep 2008, 19:59
are all the x- Saudia 1011's stil in the dessert in saudi, or did they chop them up?Does anyone know there fate?

SWBKCB
29th Sep 2008, 21:00
...and what did happen to the new cargo outfit out of Cyprus?

camilo1
30th Sep 2008, 03:22
you fly for operator (s!) that avoid every FAA rule that may cost them money.

BTW what Tristar(s) does 411A fly?.

I thought Privilege was the only one (TL-ADW, msn 1242, ex YK-DLC/C-GTSP)

411A
30th Sep 2008, 04:27
are all the x- Saudia 1011's stil in the dessert in saudi, or did they chop them up?Does anyone know there fate?

Only 4 remain, the rest have been parted out.
I thought Privilege was the only one (TL-ADW, msn 1242, ex YK-DLC/C-GTSP)

That particular airplane is a superb example of a very well maintained -500.
They have spent quite a lot on it....and it shows.

AAL
30th Sep 2008, 07:08

411A
30th Sep 2008, 10:08

Never began planned ops.
However, the jungle drums are beginning to beat once again about the 'possible' start of ops...strange as it may seem:}
The 'ole TriStar seems headed in the same direction as the old soldier that Douglas MacArthur spoke about many years ago...will not die, only slowly slowly fade away.

OldCessna
30th Sep 2008, 11:52
As for the Saudia L1011's. They started breaking them up but not too much to salvage there.
Two mechanics were killed a couple of weeks ago taking one apart when the fuel tank blew up!
Saudia investigating so everything has come to a full stop.

ferrydude
30th Sep 2008, 18:07
Anyone heard of Tiger Air International, Scottsdale Arizona, L1011 operator?:ugh:

OldCessna
30th Sep 2008, 18:18
Believe they are trying to buy the ATA aircraft.

Few hurdles remain such as one of the ATA aircraft at VCV that is subject of Chapter11 for VAL (Victorville Aerospace). The "C Check" bill is some $800k so 2 courts will need to decide that one before that ship goes anywhere.

Lots of movement all over the place on the L1011 front, probably mainly due to the imminent Hajj.

camilo1
1st Oct 2008, 00:29
OldCessna:

How much would it cost to buy one of the ATA 500s? (without the pending bills, of course).

Thanks

C.

OldCessna
1st Oct 2008, 13:57
Camilo,

About $1m each is the current number.

ferrydude
5th Oct 2008, 16:52
:D So much silence from the typically vocal Arizona Tristar PPRUNER??

weido_salt
6th Oct 2008, 03:57
Here. (http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Lockheed-L10-11-aircraft-1980-for-sale-BARGAIN-PRICE_W0QQitemZ300264106265QQcmdZViewItem?hash=item300264106 265&_trkparms=39%3A1%7C66%3A2%7C65%3A7%7C240%3A1318&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14)

Someone on this thread maybe interested.

Skystar320
6th Oct 2008, 04:02
why the hell would you post that on ebay?

glhcarl
6th Oct 2008, 22:17
Someone needs to start checking the O2 Generators, RAT triggers etc.

Both life limited parts!

As are the horizontal stabilizer attach pins.

GotTheTshirt
7th Oct 2008, 07:49
Carl,
Yes but the Stab pins are cycle limited whereas the other are calendar limited.

There is a conception by some operator that if it is not flying its OK:ugh:

The problem is that as these TC units are installed at build when the life expires there is a whole bunch due at the same time !!:hmm:

Unless you are 411 then you just get a LOA ( He really likes those !) from you LOCAL friendly airworthiness authority !!:ok:

OldCessna
7th Oct 2008, 12:37
The first bankruptcy court decision should be today to decide who gets the first batch of ex ATA L1011's

Most bidders want to fly them so there's life in the old girl yet!

American Aviation Investments wants the airline the 121 certificate and aircraft.

This outfit is owned by George Soros who has plenty of financial clout!

OldCessna
21st Oct 2008, 14:37
I heard that RAK Airways picked up & is planning to operate the L1011F Freighter S/N: 1212 that had been grounded at Fujairah

Anyone with more info?

MrXrules
22nd Oct 2008, 21:37
Outstanding Mr Tristar 411,
Your experience here amazes us all.
You want to operate the 522 engine Tristars with the engine Ad/s overdue, just because you register them in a country that sees other way on these things does not make it correct.
You make all pilots look bad.
No Pro here guys, just someone after the bucks because he is nearing retirement.
Captains such as this avoid.

411A
23rd Oct 2008, 01:36
You want to operate the 522 engine Tristars with the engine Ad/s overdue, just because you register them in a country that sees other way on these things does not make it correct.
Sadly, MrXrules, you have no idea what you are talking about.
Certainly no surprise there.:rolleyes:

GotTheTshirt
23rd Oct 2008, 18:19
MrX,
I think you hit a nerve there :}

OldCessna
18th Nov 2008, 13:44
RAK Airways are getting the L1011F ready for Ops and are looking for Crew and Engineers

They are planning on adding a 2nd freighter once the first is up & running.

stevefreightdog
18th Nov 2008, 23:47
Does any one know how can we get info for this outfit? an address maybe?

OldCessna
19th Nov 2008, 15:41
Try

Head Office

RAK Airways
PO Box 31457
Ras Al Khaimah
United Arab Emirates
Toll Free : 800 90 90 90
Tel: 971 7 2075000
Fax: 971 7 244 7387
Email: [email protected]

Website: RAK Airways - Careers (http://www.rakairways.com/Rakairways/racine_site/jobs.asp)

Lostinspace
22nd Nov 2008, 10:19
How do crew stay current these days on the L1011? Is anybody still operating sim and courses?

Earl
22nd Nov 2008, 17:51
Only sim that I am aware of is in Atlanta, but hard to get into.
Guess they are doing the sim checks on the aircraft, no other way.

fergineer
23rd Nov 2008, 04:46
Wish all the guys that are going to work for this outfit all the best. I will not be applying my Tri Star days are over.

Good luck to you all

Fish Head on Final
25th Nov 2008, 07:14
Are there any L-1011 Jobs out there?? For Captain with 20 years on the A/C

The AvgasDinosaur
25th Nov 2008, 10:57
Yes there are, but be careful, get your money in first. See previous postings by "Earl" et al on this thread. Caveat aviator might be the phrase I'm looking for.
Be lucky
David

LN-MOW
4th Jan 2009, 01:48
Noticed to my surprise that registration N194AT again is active in the FAA database. Owner is FELIU LUIS .... Street 4282 CEDAR CREEK RD
City BOCA RATON State FLORIDA Zip Code 33487-2250
County PALM BEACH
Country UNITED STATES

Anyone have some more info on this?

The aircraft was seen in use in Tajikstan last November ...
Photos: Lockheed L-1011-385-1-15 TriStar 100 Aircraft Pictures | Airliners.net (http://www.airliners.net/photo/Lockheed-L-1011-385-1-15-TriStar/1426093/L/)

Faboulous thread! Keep it going!

411A
4th Jan 2009, 08:14
Noticed to my surprise that registration N194AT again is active in the FAA database.

Still operating...last noticed in JED a week ago.

OldCessna
5th Jan 2009, 17:36
N194AT

Before they ferried that aircraft from MIA they changed a few filters and put new windshield wipers on. (Very generous of them).

Earl can tell you what a heap of junk that ship is. It was originally in MIA to be broken up for spares to repair the "Wilma" hurricane damaged L1011 freighter that is still sitting there.

On another note an outfit is operating two L1011F for RAK and are looking for work for the aircraft.

One of these was one of the aircraft that was to go to Cyprus.

Earl
29th May 2009, 17:41
Just seen HS-SEC in Fujaraha a few days ago, was told it was impounded here in the UAE for being overweight on the cargo, violating regulations etc.
Aircraft has been here for months according to the ground staff.
So much for Sky eyes Thailand and Sonnys/ Sabirs latest adventure.
Some how they never learn to pay the crews and operate the correct way!
Guess they finally got busted this time!
This was the old Tradewinds Tristar, sad to see it sitting in the 44 degree heat rotting away.
Took a picture of it but not sure how to post it here.
From what I remember this aircraft had the 524 engines,
Seen many Tristars up in Ras al Kama also, just wonder did they meet the same fate?

CS-TMX
29th May 2009, 18:14
Earl

If you cannot post it here, could you please send me that picture to my email? I would like to see it!

flytristar (a) gmail (dot) com

Best regards :)

Earl
29th May 2009, 18:56
Sent the pix to you CS-tmx, these were taken 21 May 2009.
If you know how to post them here would appreciate it.
This company has cheated one too many crews.
I understand the real owners of this leased aircraft maybe interested also.

CS-TMX
29th May 2009, 19:16
Here they are!

http://img32.imageshack.us/img32/4315/hssec1.jpg

http://img13.imageshack.us/img13/1940/hssec2.jpg

The last time I saw this bird it was 13th March of 2008 at Suvarnabhumi Airport while I was landing there with my CS-TMP :)

Thank you so much for these pics Earl :ok:

CR2
30th May 2009, 11:27
Earl, to post a picture you have to upload it to a hosting site (for example photobucket.com).

Once you have done that, copy the link then open a new thread or (in this instance) reply on a thread, select "insert image" (4th icon from the right), paste your link in the box provide.... and it should work :}

glhcarl
30th May 2009, 13:55
Just seen HS-SEC in Fujaraha a few days ago, was told it was impounded here in the UAE for being overweight on the cargo, violating regulations etc.
Aircraft has been here for months according to the ground staff.
So much for Sky eyes Thailand and Sonnys/ Sabirs latest adventure.
Some how they never learn to pay the crews and operate the correct way!
Guess they finally got busted this time!
This was the old Tradewinds Tristar, sad to see it sitting in the 44 degree heat rotting away.
Took a picture of it but not sure how to post it here.
From what I remember this aircraft had the 524 engines,
Seen many Tristars up in Ras al Kama also, just wonder did they meet the same fate?

HS-SEC is s/n 1212 an ex British Airways (British Airtours) -200 (RB-211-524 engines). It was never operated by Tradewinds.

The Tradewinds frighter is s/n 1012 an ex Eastern -1 (RB211-22B engines).

411A
30th May 2009, 15:53
The Tradewinds frighter is s/n 1012 an ex Eastern -1 (RB211-22B engines).

Yup.
Its registration is now S2-AET and is presently parked at RAK...last noticed in April, with maintenance in progress.

Earl
30th May 2009, 21:45
Sorry confused the 2 aircraft, Skyeyes and Thaisky
The one with the 522b engines ex Thaisky, not the one in the pics HS-Sec, sky eyes.
Appears to be some damage below the rudder in HS-SEC anyone know what happened here?

glhcarl
31st May 2009, 02:10
Appears to be some damage below the rudder in HS-SEC anyone know what happened here?

It maybe damage or then it may be just the paint that has been that has been loosened by skydrol from the rudder servo/actuators.

It is not a common place for damage but it is a common place for skydrol leakage.

Cremeegg
31st May 2009, 20:45
Talking of old L1011's at RAK - does anyone know of the fate of the ex-British Airways European Division airframes that were stored at RAK?

s/n 1093 last known registration as TT-DWE last seen at RAK

s/n 1101 last known registration as TT-DAE - once resident at RAK with the above but last seen at Bishkent

Any information gratefully received - if only to confirm these graceful old ladies are now at rest.

Earl
31st May 2009, 23:06
Sad ending for a good aircraft..
If a company accomplished the A/D's this aircraft could see the skies again.
Wish all of them the best.
But this engine A/D problem seemed to ground them all.
Maybe if Lockheed had considered more choices/options for the engines this could have been avoided.

411A
31st May 2009, 23:57
But this engine A/D problem seems to ground them all.

Really? You could have fooled me.:rolleyes:

s/n 1093 last known registration as TT-DWE last seen at RAK

s/n 1101 last known registration as TT-DAE - once resident at RAK with the above but last seen at Bishkent

Both need heavy maintenance, last I heard. The owner has permanently retired so expect these aircraft will remain at rest.

MELDreamer
1st Jun 2009, 15:33
Would this be Mr Duane Egli?
Really retired?

411A
2nd Jun 2009, 04:20
Really retired?

Yup, he told me fuel had become too expensive.

OldCessna
16th Jun 2009, 01:10
FWIW

Capt Mugrahbi is getting ready to launch from VCV in an ex ATA bird bound for AMM

Hopefully this time he'll change more than the windshield wiper blades!

I'm sure Earl can enlighten us.

Earl
17th Jun 2009, 13:20
I did hear from a fly on the wall a few months back that he was attempting to get two of the ex ATA Tristars.
But watch this one if he needs crews to operate them out.
Last time two years ago with N194at all we had was a ferry permit from the FAA to fly to Amman with a refueling stop in Lisbon.
C check was overdue and no engine A/D accomplished, or alternate means of compliance.
When the aircraft arrived in Amman he started saying that the FAA has certified the aircraft, only paper he had was a ferry permit allowing this 1 time flight.
He never had a C check done or any other required work, just put the aircraft into service flying pax around for Umrah and Haj.
Most of the pilots that remained operating for him were saying, overdue maint is not my problem and continued to fly.
I doubt the authorities will listen to this nonsense of,,, I did not know,,, if something were to happen, they would be hanging the crews.
Would be hard to hear over the screams from the operating crew and Bubba from a African or Saudi jail cell.
Paying the crews was last on his list also, it was always you will get paid tomorrow or when we arrive in Kano, different tale every day.
When we finally were paid he screwed us out of quite a bit of cash, stating no per diem while in Amman because the hotel gave you free food etc.
He also is know for his 747 adventure a few years back not paying the crews.
I hope the FAA pays closer attention to him this time.
But I am sure he will just re register the aircraft in some other country of opportunity after he gets caught again.

CR2
18th Jun 2009, 00:15
Thanks, this makes most interesting reading.

411A
21st Jun 2009, 06:30
Capt Mugrahbi is getting ready to launch from VCV in an ex ATA bird bound for AMM

This particular aircraft has had heavy maintenance completed at VCV, and in addition, 194AT has recently been in the hangar at AMM for heavy maintenance....so I'm told.

fergineer
21st Jun 2009, 06:58
I remember one of the Caribjet birds comimg out of Amm after heavy maintenance........must have been a real heavy pen thats all I can say......had it been really looked at could have still been flying the aircraft but such is life.......

OldCessna
21st Jun 2009, 23:54
Quote:

(From 411A)
This particular aircraft has had heavy maintenance completed at VCV, and in addition, 194AT has recently been in the hangar at AMM for heavy maintenance....so I'm told.

Well getting the heavy maintenance work done in VCV is interesting. It hasn't been SCA and VAL is in Chapter 11 and haven't touched it, not that they would know what they were doing if they did.

So far its been 2 new wiper blades after washing the windows, change of filters, and inflated the tires.

Ask Earl what his pre trip preps are like!

411A
22nd Jun 2009, 04:25
It hasn't been SCA and VAL is in Chapter 11 and haven't touched it, not that they would know what they were doing if they did.

The heavy maintenance was completed in March 2008, and the airplane has been in storage since that time.
Paid for, however, only recently.

OldCessna
23rd Jun 2009, 19:35
The heavy maintenance was completed in March 2008, and the airplane has been in storage since that time.
Paid for, however, only recently.

411A That airplane was flown out but the remaining airplane owned by ATA was also stored at VCV
Lots of bits and pieces not working and more stringent oversight for the ferry permit compared to the a/c that came out of MIA.

Earl
24th Jun 2009, 00:10
Hear there is some head hunter out of the USA or UK looking for Tristar crews in the UAE.
Offering extreme low salaries, saying you have only 30 days off per year, have to train other crew members with no training pay., wanting a current sim check from Delta In ATL, they wont pay for,
Typical Tristar lies and deceit. Head hunter cannot even say salaries.
Steer clear!
For a Tristar qualified pilot below 58 is almost non existent.
UAE wont allow initial license above 58, this I know to be true.
UAE will issue 2 validations for 90 s days each, after this forget it UAE license is required, for all positions no exceptions.

411A
24th Jun 2009, 02:07
Steer clear!

Wise advice...especially as the positions are offered on the one-off oddball freighter conversion, MSN 1012....so I'm informed anyway

J31 MAN
24th Jun 2009, 08:18
MSN 1012? Where is this located? I'm sure I saw a Tristar with a UAE flag on the tail at Orly on 13th May.

Cheers.

OldCessna
24th Jun 2009, 11:40
I believe it is at RAK Airways. They have 2 freighters. They have some consulting group going to handle the flying. I'll post details later

tonytech2
25th Jun 2009, 01:29
Please pass on details on old 1012. Followed this aircraft while it was at Palmdale facory and at EAL where it was always something of a problem child due to being at a break point in the wiring where they introduced fully prefabbed looms. It was the first retired from fleet. Then when it went to the desert and and sold to investor group for first cargo conversion. My contract maintenance people got it in the air to Miami for cargo mod. After the Miami outfit stripped and gutted it they threw up their hands and it went over to Eastern contract maintenance where it was tied together enough to ferry to Pemco at Dothan. They did the conversion.
After completion, by then I was at Orion Air and reviewed the aircraft for possible purchase. It was too much of a niche aircraft for us, being a -1 with 22B engines. Conversion was quite competent however.
Still later I ended at Tradewinds where 1012 (N311EA) had ground away for years GSO to SJU to BDL. Quite a workhorse and except for the usual rear spar rebuild never gave any significant structural problems or main deck cargo door problems. Stripping out the cabin, mux, etc. and one pack helped a lot. The 22B engines of course were always a weak point and we survived the last years by buying desert bound L-1011 and stripping time remaining 22B engines and scrapping aircraft. Didn't overhaul any engines for years.
Impending N1 location bearing Airworthiness Directive caused its return to leasing company. Been following it since as best I can. One question is, did the engines ever get the bearing location failure detectors installed as required by AD and Rolls SB? I understand Rolls never sold any 22B kits so one has to wonder.

JanetFlight
25th Jun 2009, 04:02
BTW...does anyone knows here where the EX-102 that spent last years in Istanbul SAW its now operating, or for whom...according some sources she left again after a few years in almost derelict condition the turkish lands and took to the skies some weeks ago...:confused:

AAL
25th Jun 2009, 11:29
Would love to know also. She is years over calender and lacking some serious technical attention. Thats why she came unstuck in SAW in the first place.

Angel`s Playmate
28th Jun 2009, 03:56
Spotted S2-AET , displaying Zoom Titles , SHJ June 27.

Flanked by a DC-8, a DC-10 and 2 classic 74`s.

What a sight nowadays.:ok:

wonderdog
5th Jul 2009, 15:32
Hello Angel's Playmate,

Whose were the DC8 and DC10 ?

wd

Angel`s Playmate
6th Jul 2009, 08:44
It was Heavylift with the 8 and Avient with the 10.

Cheers

Earl
22nd Jul 2009, 04:48
This smells like a orange air/ mugrabi rat.

FAA license, Jordan based.BARQAVIATION (FAA L-1011 Captains & First Officers - Jordan
Web Site: Barq Aviation (http://www.barqaviation.com)

He never gives up does he?
Buyer Beware

mole man
23rd Jul 2009, 20:05
Thanks Earl

I am a L1011 Loadmaster looking for work but will give these a miss.

Mole man:ugh:

OldCessna
24th Jul 2009, 01:38
The latest on Barq is "Capt M" is still trying to move an ex ATA L1011 out of VCV (Victorville)

Unfortunately VAL is non too bright when it comes to the L1011 and have had several engine problems to overcome. (scratch head & ponder?)

Supposed to leave mid August, so 4 weeks late already

Earl
24th Jul 2009, 05:09
Probably a good idea to avoid this one.
His load planing and load sheets to include the Told cards are all ex Air Atlanta Tristar, he even said he just changed the names, SOP's were AAI also, which he never followed.
Safety and Emergency training ID will just be issued at your first flight, you don't have to attend. just take and sign!!!!!
Emergency Training must have been when we shut an engine own due to no oil pressure abeam Bermuda and had to return to Mia enroute to Lisbon with one of the remaining engines borderline on high vibes with N194AT.
Validation, a joke, pencil whipped by the Jordan CAA.
For someone that breaks this many regulations, C checks, A/D's etc, funny how he screws you on the pay.
But what else can you expect from someone that cheats his way around the system?
He is just an accident waiting on a place to happen.

MELDreamer
6th Aug 2009, 00:20
Lockheed 1011-500 msn1229 N163AT ferried 03-04aug09 PHX-SNN-AQJ, for Barq Air

razorrawe
11th Aug 2009, 22:30
I see that ex Caledonian Tristar G-BBAF now TT-DWE is languishing at the
Emirates auto museum may be her days in the air have finally ended

glhcarl
12th Aug 2009, 21:28
I see that ex Caledonian Tristar G-BBAF now TT-DWE is languishing at the
Emirates auto museum may be her days in the air have finally ended

Lockheed records indicate s/n 193N-1093 ex G-BBAF, 3C-QRL, A8-AAB and TT-DWE was attrited (written off) in January 2009.

razorrawe
14th Aug 2009, 14:50
well she may be written of now because she has been towed across the desert to this museum how the hell they got it there because the nearest
airfield is a long way from the museum (not that i have been there) check Google earth there is a picture of her at the museum being towed

AviationSam
18th Aug 2009, 09:17
Earl, can you assure the authenticity of those images? Have they in fact been taken at the Fujairah Airport and have you personally observed the damage in the Tail Section?

Earl
18th Aug 2009, 09:52
AviationSam,
I took those pictures myself on 21 may 2009 at Fujairah.
The damage may be from leaking skydrol as someone said in an earlier post, did not see it until I looked at the pictures later as we were doing a quick turn and was only on the ground a short while.

dc10driver
18th Aug 2009, 10:27
Well it never ceases to amaze me! Just looked at the web site, same gang still hacking away. Now that I maybe looking for a job AGAIN.......I may have to call them! Yikes....got to pay the rent.
Sure would be nice to fly the Tristar again, what a beauty she was.
Good luck to all

AviationSam
18th Aug 2009, 10:35
Thanks for the explanation Earl. Scydrol Leakage may be possible, as the Aircraft has been moved to Ras Al Kaimah without any repair.

superspotter
18th Aug 2009, 16:15
Hi Guys;
I have not read all the posts on this thread so forgive me if it has already been posted but c/n 1201 is now registered S9-GAR and for several weeks has been parked in Dhaka, Bangladesh. There are a couple of pictures of it if you care to look on my site at Superspotter's gallery by Clive Hindmarch :: Fotopic.Net (http://superspottersgallery.fotopic.net) under the dhaka gallery :)

OldCessna
18th Aug 2009, 19:02
It's apparently registered to Goliaf Air who at one time were linked to the notorious arms dealer Victor Anatoliyevich Bout.

Goliaf Air and a British company were suspected of delivering arms in Sudan

glhcarl
18th Aug 2009, 20:59
There are a couple of pictures of it if you care to lokk on my site at http://superspottersgallery,fotopic.net under the dhaka gallery http://images.ibsrv.net/ibsrv/res/src:www.pprune.org/get/images/smilies/smile.gif
The link does not appear to work?

411A
19th Aug 2009, 01:08
Change the comma to a 'dot' between superspottersgallery and fotopic...then should work OK.

superspotter
19th Aug 2009, 07:07
Whoops, sorry!! Superspotter's gallery by Clive Hindmarch :: Fotopic.Net (http://superspottersgallery.fotopic.net) :)

fergineer
19th Aug 2009, 08:10
The old girl still looks good......many a happy hour flying her between Dublin and NY........

J31 MAN
26th Aug 2009, 09:15
Photos: Lockheed L-1011-385-1 TriStar 1 Aircraft Pictures | Airliners.net (http://www.airliners.net/photo/Untitled-(Northeast-Airlines)/Lockheed-L-1011-385-1-TriStar/1570131/L/)

One less Tristar......

J

superspotter
30th Aug 2009, 11:58
Guys;
For those of you that were interested in S9-GAR, the Tristar that has been parked up for a few months now in Dhaka, earlier this morning I managed to purloin a ramp vehicle and drive over to the machine and get a much better quality shot than my last one. She is looking rather bedraggled now.
The photo can be seen under the Dhaka gallery heading on Superspotter's gallery by Clive Hindmarch :: Fotopic.Net (http://superspottersgallery.fotopic.net)

Earl
30th Aug 2009, 18:21
J31 man,
Thanks for the photos and link.
Someone posted on there that they are not interested in the galley.
That is not the galley, just 2 lifts to the down galley.

CR2
31st Aug 2009, 00:08
Erm, can we leave the spotting now? Posts made sofar will remain. I believe the topic was something to do with Cyprus & 1011s ;) ; Is that dead and buried?

411A
31st Aug 2009, 03:16
Is that dead and buried?
No doubt about it.

glhcarl
1st Sep 2009, 14:15
Erm, can we leave the spotting now? Posts made sofar will remain. I believe the topic was something to do with Cyprus & 1011s http://images.ibsrv.net/ibsrv/res/src:www.pprune.org/get/images/smilies/wink2.gif ; Is that dead and buried?

Why the change of attude? Just a few posts ago you were participating in the spotting, even thanking a spotter for his input.:ugh:

See #390 and #378

OldCessna
1st Sep 2009, 19:39
A few updates mateys!

Privilege Jet has changed registration to Honduras. Strange one there?

Capt M is working on moving his next ex ATA L1011 out of VCV and getting ready for the Hajj.

I think the spotters are useful to keep tabs on all the movements personally CR2

AAL
1st Sep 2009, 20:28
IMHumbleO, this has not degenerated into merely a spotters thread.

It rather focusses on firstly an old lady and one of the best ever built old ladies to grace the sky, of which very few still barely capable to fly has for the wrong reasons (price?) fallen in the hands of some very dubious and shady characters/operators.

The "New Operation Out of Cyprus" was to be just such a venture, there are still some others going down now, and some will attempt in the near future.

This thread has saved quite a few well meaning crew from burning their fingers and getting involved in situations to their detriment, and that they would have (or now do) regretted.

It serves as a barometer of what some of these dubious scoundrels are up to and I am sure that many unsuspecting crews have received very timely forewarning of the associated perils involved.

At the beginning I would in my wildest dreams never have guessed that the thread would over time have drawn near 50 000 views.

Please bear with us CR2, because many of us have been affected by some of these discussed situations and continue to learn.

411A
2nd Sep 2009, 00:23
Privilege Jet has changed registration to Honduras. Strange one there?

Not when you understand the reasons why, it ain't.
Rather large plans in the works....so I'm told.;)

Earl
3rd Sep 2009, 18:35
Exactly where was this Cyprus operation going to get the Tristars and crews anyway?
Was dead in the water from the start!
This was some kind of Universal airlines that maybe failed with the 747 operation also.
I
This thread is very informative for Tristar crews, as many of us have worked, done ferry flights moving airplanes and have not been paid or cheated with only partial pay, some with no tickets back home.
I hope it is left open to help other crews.
I dont think you will find any other thread here on pprune that goes this far to make sure crews are not cheated, paid correctly and has credibility.
Tristar crews are a small group now and we do stick together. even though most of us have other jobs on different equipment.
Personally I have only flown for 3 companies that were reliable with the Tristar, Saudia, Air Atlanta and Globejet.
Perhaps it should be relabeled as Tristar beware. or Tristar The Good, The Bad or The Ugly, LOL.
The crew it may have helped to avoid to work for the Mahgrabis/Barq air, the thaisky, skyeyes, orange air, and a few others.
On another note I did hear from a fly on the wall that the UAE GCAA has shut down operations for ZOOM airlines.
Guess here in the UAE they check all records to include the Tristar ones. records such as engine A/D'S and do make sure the manufactures Lockheed and Rolls Royce are followed.
Registration of convenience wont work here.
That made up alternate method of compliance for those 522 engines is starting to possibly be shown.
Cannot pull the wool over the GCAA eyes!
If you are one of these shady operators and have to divert, don't do it here, use another alternate, otherwise could be a issue.
Guess that's why the Skyeyes airplane was impounded here initially.
Anyone else hear about this?
I got this info 3rd hand but think it is reliable.
If we can rename this thread please offer some advice, but it has helped many people.
Maybe someone would spend his last income hoping to get ahead, only to find he was cheated in the end.
This is a problem that needs to be addressed and stopped with these shady Thai, Indian and mostly Jordanian Tristar operators.
Leave it open CR2, or at least provide us guidance on a new thread.
Earl

411A
3rd Sep 2009, 23:03
On another note I did hear from a fly on the wall that the UAE GCAA has shut down operations for ZOOM airlines.
Correct, aircraft parked, crews sent home, last I heard.

OldCessna
4th Sep 2009, 12:23
I appreciate all the contributions to this thread.

It is certainly is amazing how many fly by night operations are planned and are stopped because of the "watchers" that are on this site! Not to mention the crews that have avoided getting stiffed!

The L1011 Tristar world is a shrinking one, and what goes around comes around very quickly.

The Hajj is not far off and the same old people are getting things ready!

The Privilege Jet operation is a very interesting development especially registering the aircraft in Honduras? Must be the new Sierra Leone?

The deputy MD of Privilege just happens to be the deputy MD of Elite.

Whats that all about?

411A
4th Sep 2009, 13:32
The Privilege Jet operation is a very interesting development especially registering the aircraft in Honduras? Must be the new Sierra Leone?

Quite the opposite, actually....a Sierra Leone, it ain't.
Interesting plans afoot, all revealed in due course.

OldCessna
4th Sep 2009, 15:20
411A

You must be referring to the tie up with Rollins Air in Honduras.

rollinsair.com (http://www.rollinsair.com/)

Looks like TACA has problems with the Hondurans over overdue fees (what else is new there?).

Privilege Jet will provide charters to Honduras & Caribbean from Eastern Europe.

411A are you flying with Privilege Jet these days?

411A
4th Sep 2009, 19:26
Privilege Jet will provide charters to Honduras & Caribbean from Eastern Europe.

Among other places, yes.
This program is under the direction of the original marketing director of Laker...the original Laker, an old friend.
A second airplane is a distinct possibility.

Earl
4th Sep 2009, 21:50
Could be some work for a good Tristar company operating a -500 ACMI for LAB from Santa Cruz Bolivia to Madrid.
We did this with Globejet for a long time, until LAB had money issues.
But the company is coming back (LAB).
Was down there last December, good route for someone to pick up.
Central and South America may be a good place for this old bird.

Angel`s Playmate
6th Sep 2009, 17:50
Earl,

you are right. The UAE CAA seems to run it down on Zoom.

S2-AET still in SHJ (as of 06Sep), dusted in on the Cargo apron.:{

The Honduras -500 looks like HR-AVN cn1242, ex TAP/Air Transat.:ok:

Happy ldgs

Angel

superspotter
7th Sep 2009, 06:38
At the risk of admonishment, I hereby post a picture of S2-AET taken on the ramp in Sharjah a couple of months ago. One of the brokers using this aircraft told me that it was very popular because of the size of the main deck cargo door in enabling oversize freight to be loaded. Interesting though to have a Bangladeshi registered aircraft with both Zoom and RAK named on the fuselage, the paperwork must get tiresome :)
http://newimages.fotopic.net/?iid=yzmyd3&outx=800&quality=80

CR2
7th Sep 2009, 10:09
Don't get me wrong folks, this is an interesting and informative thread. I just want to avoid dozens of pix of every 1011 still flying (or not, as the case may be...)

superspotter
8th Sep 2009, 20:56
OK, no more from me.

OldCessna
8th Sep 2009, 23:42
Hey SuperSpotter keep the info coming.

It's appreciated to know what is where & helping 2 + 2 make 5

Thanks

Spanner748
18th Sep 2009, 06:47
That Zoom Air is already out of business and the aircraft (parked in sharjah) is now being handled by Sky Capitol, another company which emerged after the disintegration of ZOOM. All the crews have already transferred to this new company to fly another L1011 soon but not likely before x'mas.

Spanner748
18th Sep 2009, 06:59
hello sir! i am in dhaka and we are flying 748s in bangladesh. r u doing cargo flights for china eastern btw???

Earl
21st Sep 2009, 18:56
I did see that plane in SHJ a few days ago.
Apparently I was told they are having some kind of AOC issues along with the on going engine A/D problems.
UAE is cracking down on some of these operators.
Hope the crews got paid before the plug was pulled.

411A
22nd Sep 2009, 22:30
Hope the crews got paid before the plug was pulled.
Sadly, no.
Owed three months back pay, so I was just informed today, by someone in the know..
Par for the course.
A pox on these operators.

ugwhatajob
22nd Sep 2009, 23:55
Were the crews actually under employment by Zoom or ACMI or contractors on the payroll of a headhunter?

Thanks

Earl
24th Sep 2009, 22:03
411, I heard that also a few weeks ago but could not confirm it.
I think these crews were under the employment of a Bangladeshi named Sabir, that was also involved with skyeyes and Sonny in BKK.
Would hope someone could confirm this to help other crews in the future.
This one smelled from the start.

mutt
30th Sep 2009, 03:47
Execellent advice EARL..... but yet people wont listen. With Hajj traffic expected to be 30-40% DOWN this year, it will be interesting to see if the "bottom feeders" survive...

Mutt

superspotter
15th Nov 2009, 14:32
Seeing as this thread has ben "dead" for two months, I though you may like to see the port side of S9-GAR languishing in Dhaka, Bangladesh taken today 15th November 2009. I dont think this old bird will take to the wing again. Peering into the dark depths of the open/missing doors, she appears to be interiorless.
http://newimages.fotopic.net/?iid=1yz78v&outx=800&quality=80

Binthere
15th Nov 2009, 18:58
Wasn't this the bird that had the insides removed and 'converted' to freight config? Only problem was the freight had to bulk loaded through the passenger doors you see in the photo!!

Papa Sierra
16th Nov 2009, 01:50
This is the "infamous" "Natalie", I wrote about her in a previous thread. My first dealings with this aircraft were in Kampala where it was parked for a few months on one of the few refuelling bays. Caused me a lot of grief trying to get my numerous frames turned round. Technicians were working on it and it attempted to do a couple of flights, flowers/fish to Europe, I think, but not very successfully as it didn't have a cargo door although the interior had been stripped out, consequently loading took forever! The authorities tried to get the "owners/operators" to remote park it down near the old terminal building (from "raid on Entebbe" fame) but to no avail. Anyway it was eventually kicked out and reappeared on the cargo ramp at DXB and then on to Ras Al Kheimah where it must have had a collision of some sort as there was damage to one of the belly hold doors. Now she reappears, what next?

PH-SCP
16th Nov 2009, 11:43
Duane Egli tried to convert ex LTU TriStar D-AERP in the same way. It sat on the ramp at Ostend forever, stripped of an interior. LWA Engineers tried to install some sort of bulkhead using H-beams from a local DIY-store, painted zinc-chromate green to give it an aviation appearance. It left somewhere in 2002 to be scrapped in Opa Locka, not before an engine failure forced it to land in Manston... I guess these "converted" pax aircraft just don't make it as decent freighters...:=

CargoMatatu
16th Nov 2009, 11:48
It depends how you do your conversions.

An approved and certified professional conversion works fine.

D.I.Y. jobbies, done on a Saturday night in the backyard are usually doomed, in every sense of the word! :rolleyes:

AAL
16th Nov 2009, 13:41
Just on a point of order, not even the Marshall converted L1011 freighter can/does exceed its original pax designed floor load limit.

This "Natali" was actually "reconfigured", not converted, - like so many other operators do/used to do. Pax by day and bulk-loader by night.

"Natali" has aircraft grade riffled alluminium floor coverings fixed to the original floor over the original floor covering, obviously with carpets removed. No new holes or bolts.

Egli used sheets of wooden ply-wood to cover the floor.

These "reconfigured" L1011's however fell flat with the/a cargo bulkhead requirement. The home-made installations does not meet manufacturers design specifications/requirement, and the manufacturer and few authorised STC holders are/were not even prepared to talk to these operators. In short these were backyard conversions for which there is no STC and no official approvals.

Egli did well with his bulkloaders initially out of Ostend and when they complained, out of the UAE to Africa and Bangladesh. When the UAE started turning on the pressure he relocated to Chad where his machines eventualy expired.

"Natali" is a model 200 with -524 engines and had lots of potential, last operated by Tradewinds and then placed in "hibernation" just a few hours after a C-Check. Soon after she was bought by the new owner and after it started flying it quickly became clear why Tradewinds had parked her. The No 3 engine was bad and immediately started giving problems up to when "Natali" made an emergency landing in Sabina Ghoken (Ankara).

It stood in Ankara for about 18 months before positioning to Bangladesh where the owner was promised registration and an CofA. Since then its seems the Bangladesh CAA have gotten cold feet and it has never flown successfully again and is now stuck in Dhaka, probably for good.

In Africa 55 tons loaded on skids took about 8 hours to load and even longer to off-load. In Europe about double that time.

glhcarl
16th Nov 2009, 14:42
Just a reminder:

November 16, 1970 thirty nine years ago today:

First flight of the L-1011.

superspotter
17th Nov 2009, 12:19
Great info AAL on Natali.
As an aside and going off this original thread (slightly), there are now four Tristars parked in Ras al Khaimah, two on the TZ register, one registered HS-SEC and an new incumbent, N388LS ex Las Vegas Sands corp. Does anyone know of their fate??
A further aside :eek: I wont post it here because a select few get rather annoyed apparently but here is a link to N388LS taken yesterday 16/11 in RAK:-
http://newimages.fotopic.net/?iid=1yzof0&outx=800&quality=80

Earl
18th Nov 2009, 22:24
The HS-SEC register which has SKYEYES painted on the side was in Fujarah back in May impounded for a number of things.
This aircraft leased operator is a man named Sonny out of BKK.
Which is or was in cahoots with a Bangladeshi named Sabir, also tied with zoom aviation which was just shut down by the UAE GCAA.
More to this story is that the real owner of this aircraft a European company went to court 2 years ago or longer because Sonny was not paying the lease payments, the thai courts ruled that if he was trying and made some very, very small effort to pay that was enough.
The real owner is a company out of Europe named Atlantic or something close to that, feel free to correct me on this name as I am not sure of the correct spelling.
But I did work for these scammers for 6 weeks, almost 2 years ago when they only paid 70 percent of the agreed salary I left and went to another job.
The company was never honest in anything, same as Thaisky with the L-1011.

camilo1
19th Nov 2009, 02:16
Hi

a few questions for those in the know

Did the Las Vegas Sands sell their tristars?. Who owns them now?. Are they for sale?. What would be the price of N389LS and N388LS?.

Why has the owner of HZ-AB1 parked the airplane?.

Thanks

411A
19th Nov 2009, 03:32
Did the Las Vegas Sands sell their tristars?.
Negative.
Are they for sale?.
Negative.Why has the owner of HZ-AB1 parked the airplane?.

No cash, no dash...:}

OldCessna
19th Nov 2009, 12:37
Sands Tristars

Yes they are for sale. But they are expensive but very low time aircraft

The one parked needs the engine AD doing

411A
19th Nov 2009, 14:54
But they are expensive but very low time aircraft

They are unlikely to find a buyer...and yes I know what the Sands Hotel paid for them.
The original sale to the Sands was a huge con job, of the highest proportions.

bcgallacher
19th Nov 2009, 16:07
I had a look at one of the Sands aircraft passing through Dubai a few weeks ago and was absolutely bowled over by the condition - the most beautiful Tristar I have seen in many years. One of the personnel with it said 18 million dollars had been spent on it.

Dunnza
19th Nov 2009, 22:31
How much are they going for? Anyone got photos?

CR2
20th Nov 2009, 00:18
Link to a photo on previous page :hmm:

camilo1
20th Nov 2009, 02:46
They are unlikely to find a buyer...and yes I know what the Sands Hotel paid for them.
The original sale to the Sands was a huge con job, of the highest proportions

Could you please elaborate 411A?. (About the con job), doesn't the owner of hz-ab1 have enough money to pay for the expenses related to his aircraft?. As I understand it isnīt he is a Saudi Prince?. And a final question and sorry to abuse your patience, but isnīt hz-ab1 the most expensive L-1011 in the world?. I once read, (I donīt remember well where) that it had communication systems that were very advanced and that it was the most luxurious L-1011 made, even more than the ex-saudi royals transports L-1011 now ex-Vegas Sands. What would be the real price of these three aircraft?.

Thanks and forgive me for asking so many questions

C.

dc10driver
20th Nov 2009, 02:50
Having flown HZ-AB1 for almost three years and still regularly talking to the current guys, AB1 is waiting for a new interior. The owner takes his time for these things! He has another Tristar parked in FJR. I ferried it there almost 6 years ago. He still has plans for it, but I suspect he will eventually give that one up. The current crew are just finnishing up a 727 rating to fly his other aircraft. They may now work a little........
Cheers

superspotter
6th Dec 2009, 11:23
Out of interest, the Tristar I put a pic of here earlier, S9-GAR sat in Dhaka has been re-registered to S2-AKB, noted yesterday in Dhaka. It looks to me a candidate for coke cans but somebody obviously thinks otherwise.

glhcarl
6th Dec 2009, 14:04
Supplied without comment:

Welcome to our Company website (http://www.skycapitalairlines.com/)

CR2
6th Dec 2009, 14:12
Quote from their website

Two Lockheed Tristar aircrafts have been added to the fleet line of Sky Capital Airlines. Now, both are registered under Civil Aviation Authority of Bangladesh (CAAB) and containing registration mark S2-AKB and S2-AET subsequently. As per company top officials more are coming up to make the Airline's fleet line richer.

Merging this with the other L1011 thread.

Dengue_Dude
6th Dec 2009, 19:38
If they're ever thinking of flying that again, they need to shut that flightdeck escape hatch.

With Dhaka's weather, it'll cause mayhem in the FESC where most of the electronics sit.

I loved the L1011 when I was flying it in the 90s and with Caledonian. Not sure I'd want to operate aircraft which had been sitting around in tropical airports growing mould and corrosion.

Sleeping Freight Dog
7th Dec 2009, 17:17
I saw HZ-AB1 in VCV yesterday, Dec 6, 2009. Beautiful looking aircraft!
It was not all bundled up for long term storage, perhaps they are going to
start working on it.

superspotter
8th Dec 2009, 15:25
Marvellous website!! especially the photo's of the well equipped offices:confused:
Maybe I should sell them a pic of their Tristar S2-AKB to show on their website, I'm sure offers of work would pile in:ok:

OldCessna
14th Jan 2010, 15:21
S/N: 1247 the Al Anwah aircraft is in Victorville undergoing a " C Check"

SpringHeeledJack
14th Jan 2010, 17:56
Is that an ex-BA example in the near background that i see ?

SHJ

captseth
14th Jan 2010, 19:34
Are the -100's, -200's, or 250's viable for service anymore or is engine support dead except for the -500's now?

411A
15th Jan 2010, 00:01
Are the -100's, -200's, or 250's viable for service anymore or is engine support dead except for the -500's now?
Engines on the -250 model are the same as on the -500. IE: RB.211-524B402.

-200's are equipped with the -524B02, no serviceable engines available that I know of, except what is installed on the wing of the few remaining.
This is a distinct problem for the -200F type.
However, -524B402 engines can be installed, but...the number two position requires mods to the titanium ring.

-100's are equipped the the -22B varient, few serviceable engines left available. As with the -200, -524B402 engines can be installed, with expensive mods.

The L1011 will be in service for charter ops until sufficient numbers of the B767-300 are available, at prices that many operators can afford....figure three years, tops.
The -500 type, awhile longer.

captseth
15th Jan 2010, 00:29
I'm wondering if the DL -250's are viable then. Worth cutting a door in them for freight?

Sleeping Freight Dog
15th Jan 2010, 01:37
I was talking to some of the Sands Tristar Captains. The planes are not for sale, they are being short termed stored at RAZ until needed for a flight.
Apparently the ramp fees are very reasonable there. Also one of the Captains said that he had ferried the 2nd aircraft recently, the one in Saudi colors. This looks like it might be getting ready to get its gloss over.

411A
15th Jan 2010, 01:42
I'm wondering if the DL -250's are viable then. Worth cutting a door in them for freight?
Negative, too expensive.
I fly a -250 now (two actually)...very nice airplanes.
Pax only.

glhcarl
15th Jan 2010, 01:47
Engines on the -250 model are the same as on the -500. IE: RB.211-524B402.

The RB.211-524B402 can also be installed on the -200's.

However, -524B402 engines can be installed, but...the number two position requires mods to the titanium ring.

When installing the -524B4 in the No. 2 position no modification to the titanium ring (?) is required. However, the the "inlet adapter cone" of the S-Duct requires modification.
Is that an ex-BA example in the near background that i see ?

s/n 193N-1182 a -200F, ex-BA (G-BGBC), American International and Kitty Hawk (N107CK).

Rolls Royce still maintains the RB.211-524's that power the -200's, -250's and -500's.

Only 5 of the 6 -250's still exist. If you have about 14 million that you are not using I am sure Marshall will be happy to speak to you about adding the cargo door.

411A
15th Jan 2010, 15:20
Only one 'Titanium Ring' on the 'Tristar-asaurus' Rex that I know of.....

Would that be the "inlet adapter cone" referenced earlier, which is made of titanium and is generally circular...or, another one?:}

For reference, these are available ex-VCV from scrapped -500 aircraft, however....they ain't cheap, presently.
The L1011 is a very reliable aircraft, IF operated and maintained by folks who know how.
In the last five years, I have had nil flights delayed for other than traffic/ATC reasons....except for two deflated tires, that was caused by FOD...bits from an Airboos:eek:, as it turned out.

glhcarl
15th Jan 2010, 15:33
Would that be the "inlet adapter cone" referenced earlier, which is made of titanium and is generally circular...or, another one?http://images.ibsrv.net/ibsrv/res/src:www.pprune.org/get/images/smilies/badteeth.gif

Sorry but the inlet adapter cone is made from aluminum, just like the rest of the "S-Duct".

411A
15th Jan 2010, 16:57
Sorry but the inlet adapter cone is made from aluminum, just like the rest of the "S-Duct".
Nevertheless, it is required to be modified/changed for the fitment of -524B402 engines on those aircraft not so equipped from the factory.
Many man-hours required, at considerable cost.
IE: not viable...except for certain operators (Orbital Science, for example).

glhcarl
15th Jan 2010, 19:47
Many man-hours required, at considerable cost.

The major expense when installing the -524B4 engines (other than the engines) is replacing the stainless steel ECS ducts with titanium ducts.

411A
15th Jan 2010, 20:27
PM me if you can help - Thanks

Send detailed info about yourself if you are truly interested, via PM and I will see what I can do.
PS
Be prepared to pay, big time, as gen decs, via our handling agents, are pricey.
Otherwise, you are most welcome.

ferrydude
27th Jan 2010, 08:05
AHM Hangar - L-1011 Journal (http://www.ahmhangar.com/l-1011-journal/)

Stratofreighter
31st Jan 2010, 16:51
And she is "at home" now... :)
AHM Hangar - Movies - Elle's Arrival in KansasCity (http://www.ahmhangar.com/movies/2010/1/30/elles-arrival-in-kansas-city.html) .
For pre-flight engine tests and taxi trials, see
AHM Hangar - Movies - L-1011 Engine Start, Run Up and Taxiing inRoswell (http://www.ahmhangar.com/movies/2010/1/21/l-1011-engine-start-run-up-and-taxiing-in-roswell.html) .
Yes, you can certainly hear the well-loved "rumble" on start-up!

boguing
31st Jan 2010, 17:55
Just out of interest, what would the 1:200 scale metal model given to suppliers be worth these days? Wondering if it should be notified on house contents insurance?

Dad was Chief Engineer on the RB at Rolls Royce.

Nom De Guerre
1st Feb 2010, 12:40
Prison bosses forced to pay damages to jailed paedophile over tootache - The Daily Record (http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/news/scottish-news/2009/12/13/prison-bosses-forced-to-pay-damages-to-jailed-paedophile-over-tootache-86908-21894276/)

Happiness wasn't a warm.... :hmm:

Prison bosses forced to pay damages to jailed paedophile over tootache

Dec 13 2009 Charlie Gall, Sunday Mail

A SEX beast has won a cash payout from prison bosses who couldn't find a dentist to treat his toothache.

Paedophile Neil Robertson launched the compensation claim from his cell in Peterhead Prison, it emerged yesterday.

He blamed prison chiefs for failing to find an NHS dentist to treat his toothache and sued the Scottish Prison Service over a delay in treatment.

He has now received an out-of-court settlement.

Robertson, 44, from Ayrshire, was jailed for life in 2003 for abusing a seven-year-old girl.

He met the girl's mother through an internet chat room and wormed his way into her affections by pretending he had been a pilot, a businessman and qualified psychologist.

He quickly turned his attention to the youngster and within weeks he was taking photographs of himself abusing the girl.

Robertson was described by the judge at his trial in Dunfermline, as a "dangerous psychopath" with a 20-year interest in young girls.

The payout has been agreed at a time when Aberdeenshire has one of the longest UK waiting lists of people seeking an NHS dentist.

Furious Lesley Wood, 22, a nursery assistant from Aberdeen, has been without an NHS dentist for six years.

She condemned the payout, saying: "It's totally out of order. People are paying for emergency treatment and he's getting our money. All his teeth should be ripped out after what he did."

Shadow justice spokesman and north-east Labour MSP Richard Baker described the settlement as "extraordinary".

He said: "This is public money and people rightly find compensation payments to prisoners offensive. It is a sad irony that many people have problems getting access to dental treatment but now this prisoner has sought compensation for dental pain.

"Prison authorities need to take every step they can to stop prisoners being able to sue for compensation. The Scottish Government should also take further action."

Kincardine and West Aberdeenshire MSP Mike Rumbles said the public would be outraged at seeing a sex offender compensated.

He said: "The dental crisis in the north-east is the worst in the country. It affects everyone and I'm not surprised the prison service failed to find access to an NHS dentist."

A prisons spokesman refused to disclose how much was paid but did say: "I can confirm that a prisoner in HMP Peterhead has been given an out-of-court settlement for a failure by SPS to provide appropriate dental treatment."

CR2
2nd Feb 2010, 20:48
The post above by NdG refers to our own "Guv" for those that remember :suspect:

camilo1
3rd Feb 2010, 16:21
Isn`t "Guv" the guy who supposedly was going to buy the delta L-1011 fleet in VCV and start a new airline in Europe?.

If it is him, yes I remember.

:yuk:

Raffles
3rd Feb 2010, 17:53
Indeed he talked a good job & convinced many people to actually part with cash!! A couple of mates in Engineering were going to survey the aircraft until told to pay & claim back all expenses on return!!! I think there was also a Flight Engineer that was promised the world by "The Govner"..

Rabbler
23rd Mar 2010, 10:38
Just caught up on this thread, as I was looking for information about the remaining TriStar fleet. This comment caught my attention.

'Duane Egli tried to convert ex LTU TriStar D-AERP in the same way. It sat on the ramp at Ostend forever, stripped of an interior. LWA Engineers tried to install some sort of bulkhead using H-beams from a local DIY-store, painted zinc-chromate green to give it an aviation appearance. It left somewhere in 2002 to be scrapped in Opa Locka, not before an engine failure forced it to land in Manston... I guess these "converted" pax aircraft just don't make it as decent freighters'.

It was not the freight 'conversion' that caused the engine failure, but leaving the aircraft parked in Ostend for a long time with little or no engine preservation procedures. This will always be a problem for A/C that are parked up (or abandoned) for a long time with no preservation of the engines.

J31 MAN
24th Mar 2010, 09:58
http://www.thefinancialexpress-bd.com/more.php?news_id=95853

JACDEC - Current News (http://www.jacdec.de/news/news.htm)

Engine fire on a Bangladeshi freighter.

Markus1011
12th Dec 2015, 22:52
http://www.ch-aviation.com/portal/news/42360-jordans-barq-aviation-takes-redelivery-of-tristars

Seems like Mr. Mughrabi is back in buisness ...

CS-TMX
13th Dec 2015, 15:46
Barq Aviation (BUR, Amman Queen Alia) has taken redelivery of its trio of Lockheed Tristars following their return from South America where they were supposed to operate for Transportes Generales Aéreos (Lima Int'l) in Peru.

Does anyone confirm these aircraft were really in South America? I thought they stayed all the time in RKT.

Markus1011
13th Dec 2015, 22:06
Does anyone confirm these aircraft were really in South America? I thought they stayed all the time in RKT.

These aircraft havenīt been in Peru. They have been all the time in RKT. They just have been re-registered in Peru. As far as I know, the peruvian Regīs have been OB-2049-P and OB-2061-P.