PDA

View Full Version : Hucknall Airfield

VFE
9th Jul 2007, 20:33
Hi folks,

Does anyone know if anyone does PPL training at Nottingham Hucknall airfield? Done an internet search which showed up diddly-squat. If you can post any links here that would be super.

Many thanks,

VFE.

tacpot
9th Jul 2007, 21:09
Here's a link to Merlin Flying Club's website:

http://www.merlinflyingclub.co.uk/index.html

The site only describes Tailwheel Conversions, making no mention of training for the initial issue of a PPL.

Them thar hills
9th Jul 2007, 21:45
VFE
The Rolls-Royce flying club was (still is ?) an RR employees-only organisation. They had the cheapest rates in the country, and a waiting list to join.
This included ab-initio training and they did ppl training on C150 and Robin DR220 + other smaller Jodels. They had one of the oldest C150's G-APXY.
The then CFI was Gerry Price, a great enthusiast.
Once when given joining instructions I was also asked "anything from the chip-shop ?" (it was a Saturday):)
tth

SFCC
9th Jul 2007, 23:00
TTH....you have been very quiet of late.
Have i offended you?:)

Them thar hills
10th Jul 2007, 06:19
'ang on, I'll turn the brightness up on me crystal ball !
Aaaaah, I see.
:}

Mark 1
10th Jul 2007, 14:55
The Merlin still is a works' club, essentially for RR employees, and only operates at weekends.
The rates are kept extremely low by the members maintaining the airfield, clubhouse, "fire & rescue" and the aircraft; and also RR providing free use of the field and fuel bunker (we pay for the fuel at cost).
In principal, the DR221 is available for type and differences training, and other training may be available at more commercial rates if it fits in with the operation. PM me if you need to know more.

Sadly Gerry Price succumbed to cancer last year and will be missed by all that knew him. I learnt with 'the headmaster' back in 1980 on the same G-APXY. XY passed to new owners not too long ago and has been replaced with a newer, better equipped C150 which sadly isn't as light and nimble as the 1958 model it replaced.

Visitors are welcome at weekends for a £3 landing fee (including a free cuppa). By road, the club access is from Blenheim Lane, Bulwell past the allotments.