PDA

View Full Version : aerobatics (again!)

stickandrudderman
9th Jul 2007, 18:00
I had an intro to aeros in a Pitts with Alan Cassidy at the weekend.
Fanbleedintastic is the word that springs to mind!
Having notched up a couple of hundred hours I thought I was getting pretty good at this flying lark, but now I realise, and indeed am very pleased to learn, that there's a LOT more fun to be had in an aeroplane than you'd imagined!
I can feel my wallet contracting as I type!
Go try it!:ok:

DX Wombat
9th Jul 2007, 18:04
For those of you who might like to have a look at some aerobatics here's the list of events (http://www.aerobatics.org.uk/sites07/events-info-2007.htm)for the rest of this year. Go along and see, you will be made most welcome. :ok:

foxmoth
9th Jul 2007, 19:16
Welcome to one the most addictive and worthwhile aspects of aviation.:ok:

Pitts2112
9th Jul 2007, 19:28
Tis a slippery slope, this aerobatics thing, liberally greased with equal measures of adrenalin and pound notes.

And just to show that it doesn't have to be precise and "by the book", here's a short video I put together with the help of a couple of mates last month when there were good clouds to play with:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p2bEFW3pT-8

Enjoy aerobatics. Once you start, you're spoiled for regular flying for the rest of your life!

Pitts2112

eharding
9th Jul 2007, 19:36
Indeed - you have discovered the Truth - if you commit aviation and *not* at some stage of the flight become inverted you should either a) be strapped in the back of something large, with access to a drinks trolley and a choice of movies or b) be strapped at the front of same and being paid to keep it from becoming inverted, lest it upset the drinks trolley. If (a) or (b) do not apply, then you're simply wasting fuel. :E

Pitts2112
9th Jul 2007, 19:50
eharding - very, very well said!!! :):):)

stiknruda
9th Jul 2007, 20:42
eharding/2112 - we should get together this summer and just play. 1v1v1? I'll host.

Stik

looptheloop
9th Jul 2007, 21:12
Alan Cassidy has a lot to answer for! I read with growing interest his articles in Loop magazine and decided to enter the complete novice competition they are holding at Gransden this weekend -to throw myself into it at the deep end. 2 hours in the Extra 200 at Cambridge and avidly reading Alans book and i am starting to hope the organisers really do mean 'Novice'. :bored: I have two more hours booked in G-GLOC before the big day and am beginning to think if the weather is awful it may actually help- wind assistance might just blow my manoevres into the shapes they are meant to be!
Any advice from any of you would be greatly received. Stickandrudderman get your name down for the last Loop day and join me in the world of novice competition.
Green side up blue side down, right?

DX Wombat
9th Jul 2007, 21:13
If (a) or (b) do not apply, then you're simply wasting fuel. Or, as in my case, suffer from severe devout cowardice. :uhoh: I'll stick to writing down the scores for you. :ok:

BackPacker
9th Jul 2007, 21:19
Done four aero lessons so far. Waiting for the ceiling to magically raise itself again to FL55 for some more. The weekend, particularly Saturday, was good but I was at Duxford watching something far more spectacular. Coming week doesn't look too good either. If I ever get to the solo stage anytime soon I might just enroll myself in the Dutch Open Championships.

DX Wombat
9th Jul 2007, 21:35
Stickandrudderman get your name down for the last Loop day and join me in the world of novice competition.
See you two at Sherburn on 11th August then - I can't make Little Gransden.

Pitts2112
9th Jul 2007, 21:36
Stik,

Get together sounds good with you and e, but i'm not so sure about 1v1v1. That sounds like too many variables and too much chance of someone trading paint with another. A bit of formation, though, might be good fun!!

Oh, yeah, when you guys have gotten bored with solo aerobatics, learn to fly off a mate's wing by less than 10 feet and 150 mph. That puts a whole new dimension of fun into everything!!

Pitts2112

waldopepper42
10th Jul 2007, 08:38
Oh stickandrudderman, oh dear oh dear. Now you've been and gone and done it!

Did no-one warn you? Did you have no friends to tell you that you're entering aviation's biggest and most expensive trap, where 90% of rentable aeroplanes are now just so much wood/tin/plastic?

And the rest are twice as expensive (and worth the extra!!!)

Oh well too late now, welcome to REAL flying! :ok:
To anybody planning to go to Sherburn on 11/08, it's now my home airfield so see you there - hopefully be bimbling around in the new toy :E:E
regards.....

stiknruda
10th Jul 2007, 11:56
Get together sounds good with you and e, but i'm not so sure about 1v1v1

2112 - I was expecting just that response!!

Tail chasing, then - no reverse maneouvers a la Sir G!!

stickandrudderman
10th Jul 2007, 18:37
Stickandrudderman get your name down for the last Loop day and join me in the world of novice competition.

I might well do that If you'd care to explain something more about it....
In the mean time I'll google it..

Great video, Booker T and Angus, all to perfect synch. Well done!:ok:

Pitts2112
10th Jul 2007, 20:38
Thanks SARMan. It was a lot of fun making it. Glad you liked it. Now get out there and do some for yourself!!

Pitts2112

javelin
10th Jul 2007, 20:55
Cassidy came second to Cassells recently I believe !

Bagby is where it is at :E

looptheloop
11th Jul 2007, 09:22
Loop magazine have put on three novice competitions at various places around the country to link to the Aeros/Alan Cassidy feature they have been running. The second one is this saturday at Little Gransden. The competition involves a 5 move sequence flown with an instructor in the morning either in your own plane or one they loan you- choices seem to be either a CAP10, slingsby or aerobat. Then after a bit of a show at lunchtime by Mark Jeffries you fly the same sequence in the afternoon with a now silent instructor to be judged by a panel on the ground. Medals for the top 3, i believe. The sequence as far as i know is loop, stall turn, wingover, half cuban 8 and roll.
It sounds like a great way to get into aerobatics safely and let family and friends have some fun watching you.
I will let you know how saturday goes, todays flying lesson was cancelled due to low cloud and tomorrow looks doubtful so i will probably be the novicest novice there. I really will have to 'wing it'.
google loopaero or the british aerobatics website for more info.

DX Wombat
11th Jul 2007, 10:02
For those who may be interested the BAeA schedule of events for this year can be found here (http://www.aerobatics.org.uk/sites07/events-info-2007.htm).

stickandrudderman
11th Jul 2007, 16:10
I may be being a bit thick here, but neither the loop or the BAeA web site make it obvious how to enter?
I'll speak to Mr Cassidy about it.
In the mean time......

looptheloop
11th Jul 2007, 19:59
Call Jen Buckenham on 01487 833022 or download the entry form from: www.aerobatics.org.uk (http://www.aerobatics.org.uk/)

stickandrudderman
11th Jul 2007, 22:14

looptheloop
15th Jul 2007, 09:26
Yesterday was the Loop magazine and British aerobatic association event at Little gransden. It was a terrific day of friendly competition and was something i would recommend to everyone. The organisation was first class and the quality of instructors and aircraft available for us to use was great- a Slingsby, Cap 10 and a Yak 52 provided something for everyone. Two demonstrations from world class pilots Mark Jeffries and Kester Scrope put us in the mood for what we were about to do.
Everyone who competed was at the same novice level and we were all there to enjoy ourselves and 'have a go at' aerobatics, some people had never done an aerobatic manoevre before others had a few hours of instruction. The judges provided feedback and helped us to improve quite drastically from our first flight to our second. I came away from the competition having had a terrific day and knowing i had learnt a great deal. If you have a sense of daring and are looking for a really fun event to take part in and an opportunity to learn new skills then this is the one for you.
There are still other events taking place around the country this year, if i was you i would sign up for one now!

Andy_R
15th Jul 2007, 17:35
Well done looptheloop :cool:

sticknruda - I have to ask. What is 1v1v1?

Pitts2112
15th Jul 2007, 18:06
"sticknruda - I have to ask. What is 1v1v1?"

A preamble to a midair!! :):)

Pitts2112

Zulu Alpha
15th Jul 2007, 18:24
For a report on the LOOP/ British Aerobatics day at Little Gransden see
http://www.aerobatics.org.uk/results/2007/loop_ltgransden_2007/loopltgransden07.htm
Seems like a great day was had by all
ZA

greeners
15th Jul 2007, 23:56
1v1v1 = oh yeah!

Depending on who is driving, and in what scenario, this is 3 individuals fighting each other. Sometimes its 2v1, all of the time it's a hoot!

Obv as long as nobody is really shooting hard and nasty real bullets at you...

stiknruda
16th Jul 2007, 08:21
What intrigues me with 1v1v1 is three capable friends seem to form very short term alliances when one of the three is looking vulnerable - thus becoming 2v1