PDA

View Full Version : Testing at Llanbedr today

maxy101
9th Jul 2007, 16:18
Just seen some Hawks flying at Llanbedr today. It looks like they are firing cannon at some targets. Can anybody confirm if the RAF operates these with the cannon pods? Certainly looked like a lot of fun.....

airborne_artist
9th Jul 2007, 16:24
The Hawk is not operated in a combat role by the RAF - just as an advanced trainer.

adrian mole
9th Jul 2007, 16:27
Max - Yes the Hawks can carry a 30mm Aden cannon pod and even carry a pair of Sidewinders if required. Seem to remember they also had a wartime role in this configuration defending our Precious Islands!

A2QFI
9th Jul 2007, 16:45
As someone who visits the area regularly I think I can say with certainty that nobody will be firing any live air to ground ordnance at Llanbedr at the moment. It is closely bounded on 3 sides by human habitation and hundreds of caravans, SFAIK there is no danger area declared there, or proposed. Practice attack profiles, maybe; live firing - I don't think so!

airborne_artist
9th Jul 2007, 16:50
Seem to remember they also had a wartime role in this configuration defending our Precious Islands!

Rumour had it that the RN EFTS Bulldogs had a war role - assessing post-attack damage IIRC :uhoh:

Pontius Navigator
9th Jul 2007, 17:22
The Hawk was I believe also capable, or intended, to carry Sea Eagle.

As for Llanbedr, lights off, doors closed and keys handed over to developers.

Jackonicko
9th Jul 2007, 18:24
Where do they do the academic strafe on Hawks - Pembrey, still? And where else?

PPRuNeUser0211
9th Jul 2007, 18:27
Pembrey.... tis the only place afaik

Signora_Matta
9th Jul 2007, 18:39
I'd take everything Maxy says with a pinch of salt guys....he has been know to write for jackanory when he wants to ;)

Applied for jobs with the "Brothers Grim" and some Danish guy called Anderson I think...but they turned him down, they didnt want to be upstaged!

John Farley
9th Jul 2007, 19:07
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v145/johnfarley/Hawks.jpg

EyesFront
10th Jul 2007, 00:04
Perhaps Clarkson's making another video - it's a target-rich zone for caravan hunters ...:)

Signora_Matta
10th Jul 2007, 06:11
I could think of one Caravan down there I'd like him to hit right now!

The Helpful Stacker
10th Jul 2007, 11:00
Wasn't the idea with the air defence Hawks to pair two of them up with a single F3 to act as a sort of mini AWACS and provide short-range (last ditch?) air defence?

The Adjutant
10th Jul 2007, 11:24
Correct guys, it used to be called MFF. The F3 would lead the 3 ship to the fight under GCI and maybe fire a couple of sparrows to break up the formation, then our 2 x Hawks would pile in with the sidewinders for the good old Battle of Britain digfight.
I remember that the imfamous "Wedge" departed from a hawk back seat (much to the dismay of the bloke in the front) on such a trip when he thought that the Hawks were about to collide during a cross over turn.
How we all laughed!!

The Helpful Stacker
10th Jul 2007, 12:30
If he had hit the brakes he'd had flown right by eh?;)

Groundgripper
10th Jul 2007, 15:44
The Hawk was I believe also capable, or intended, to carry Sea Eagle.
Not to mention 190 gallon tanks:ooh:

Ahh, Kingston Sales Department - how we laughed!:ugh:

Took me about three years to get that deleted from Janes:uhoh:

GG

vecvechookattack
10th Jul 2007, 17:11
Could they have been Royal Navy Hawks?

Signora_Matta
10th Jul 2007, 17:12
Maybe Maxy writes for "Janes" to ?!! ;)