PDA

View Full Version : Restricted FI

Callsign Kilo
6th Jul 2007, 15:27
As a recently qualified CPL/IR I am seriously contemplating doing an FI rating. Not only do I think I'd learn a thing or two from doing it, but I would really like to pass on my enjoyment of flying to others. Obviously I am wanting to gain experience to hopefully go on to bigger things, however I would still like to instruct on a casual basis as I have always enjoyed what GA has offered me.

One question though, when you first achieve your FI rating you become 'restricted'. What exactly does this mean and how do you 'unrestrict' your rating?

Many thanks

CK

Stumpyotoole
6th Jul 2007, 15:48
When you are restricted, you cannot send people on their first solo. To unrestrict the licence you need to sign off 25 solo flights (i.e. students you have sent solo once they have done their first solo and first solo nav) and 100 hours of flight instruction.

Kanu
6th Jul 2007, 17:41
You'll probably find the 100 hours sails past in no time at all. However the 25 solo signoff's are a different story:bored:

worth doing though, you will definitely learn more about flying

VFE
6th Jul 2007, 22:41
25 solo sign offs?

A total impossibility inside of 3 years unless you have compassionate collegues (and a compassionate CFI) who don't mind you leaving your sheet lying around whilst ya have a day off.

D'yer get me?

Some do it by the book tho which is understandable...

VFE.

Whirlybird
7th Jul 2007, 06:30
4 years, 300 instructing hours (I've mainly been part time)....16 solo sign-offs. OK, maybe helicopters are a bit different, but not all that different....the pattern is probably roughly the same. :(

GARDENER
7th Jul 2007, 08:07
Depends where you work regarding the solo sends. Have done 6 in a day! One of my colleagues had the solo sends (25) to become unrestricted but not the 100 hours so it can happen quickly.

portsharbourflyer
7th Jul 2007, 13:27
Another great idea introduced by JAA, on the old CAA system an upgrade test was required to go from AFI to QFI (the equivalent of FI(R) to FI).
As mentioned it is quite common at some schools for an FI to "hand" over solo sign offs to an FI(R), hence it is possible for someone at get the signs off quite quickly, even though they may have only flown one circuit with the student (the point I assume VFE was making).
Also you can get FI (R) whom may pick up students in the latter part of the PPL course, hence it is then very easy to keep sending the same student solo on continuous days. Therefore the 25 solo signs are quite meaningless as a measure of instructional ability.

Spunk
9th Jul 2007, 07:02
25 solo traffic patterns to a full stop... does that count???:}:}:}

Say again s l o w l y
9th Jul 2007, 08:26
Nope. The CAA clocked people doing that a while ago and sent a cease and desist message out.

I have to say I agree with portsharbourflyer. the lifting of the restriction to me means very little in terms of instructional ability. I have seen an awful lot of FI(R)'s getting the restriction lifted in a matter of weeks. They are no better than they were to start with really, but they met the requirements and away they went.

It took me a year of full time instructing to do it the "proper" way and by that time I was a very different FI than I was at the start.

An upgrade test maybe a god idea, but I wouldn't want to suggest that we make the system any more complex or expensive than it already is.

Say again s l o w l y
9th Jul 2007, 08:31
Oh and congratulations Johnny! Give me a bell if you do decide to do some teaching.

timzsta
14th Jul 2007, 15:57
So what do we think the requirement for the removal of the restriction should be?

I think something along the lines of this:

1. To have put forward to the CFI or other Instructor deemed suitable by the CFI a minimum of three students of acceptable standard for the undertaking of a first solo flight. The Instructor shall have given each student a minimum of 5 hours flight instruction.
2. To have put forward to a FE a minimum of two candidates for the undertaking of the PPL(A) skill test. It does not necessarily follow that the candidate should be successful as long as in the eyes of the FE he or she had a reasonable chance of passing the test - ie a error due to nerves should not prejudice the removal of the Instructors restriction. The Instructor is to have flown a minimum of 15 hours with the candidate.
3. 20 solo sign offs. A minimum of 5 shall be cross country flights.
4. 100 hours flight time as a Flying Instructor.
5. Should the above requirements be met within six months time of the date of the first Instructional flight the restriction shall not be removed by the authority until the period of six months has ellapsed.

Comments/suggestions welcome.

VFE
14th Jul 2007, 21:10
You still require 20 solo sign offs so really your proposal is actually more stringent than is presently the case when you take into account all your new proposed requirements? Unless I've understood it incorrectly... which I probably have!

VFE.

portsharbourflyer
15th Jul 2007, 14:41
Timzta
I think something along the lines of your "point 1" would be a suitable stand alone requirement for lifting the restriction; however I would suggest that rather than 5 hours flown with the instructor, you would have to say that at least 80% of the training hours flown by the student should be with the instructor looking to have the restriction lifted. It isn't always practical due to scheduling for the instructor to always fly with the same student (or vice versa) but it is expected that a student should fly with the same instructor on a fairly consistent basis.

greeners
16th Jul 2007, 00:11
Sorry, but the existing requirements are ridiculous. I have FIs who do not meet the 25 solo sign-offs but who have thousands of hours as weapons instructors, widely viewed as being more demanding than a flying instructor role.

Just read some of the previous posts on this thread and it will be VERY clear - in case you didn't already know - that some schools collude with instructors to get them signed off in the shortest possible time, regardless of experience or ability.

Surely this is all about teaching ability. It should still be a test, and good people will get through, and bad people won't.

timzsta
16th Jul 2007, 11:01
I have in my suggestion reduced the number of sign offs by 5, but replaced those 5 sign offs with the 3 First Solo's and 2 Skill tests.

I put the six months in as it is quite possible you could remove your restriction over course of (should we ever have one again) a good summer where the weather is kind for 2 or 3 months. The sixth months should at least provide the Instructor with an opportunity to have to make some decisions when the weather is at bit more marginal for want of a better phrase.

The twenty sign offs give the opportunity to perhaps come accross the student who for whatever reason despite it maybe being 3rd/4th solo etc, is not ready to go on the day in question. It might be cross wind a bit more then you anticipated, it might be student has something on there mind etc.

VFE
16th Jul 2007, 11:32
I have been instructing longer (and have more instructional hours) than some mates who have had their restriction lifted already. I ain't one to blow sunshine up my own backside but having flown with them, and shared beer rounds with them, I know they are not:

a) as commited to the profession as I,

or

b) as good an instructor as I.

Sorry if that sounds bigheaded but those here who know me know that I am not bigheaded so take a chill pill.

When you look at some schools who have unrestricted FI's willing to sign their own solo sign-offs to an unrestricted FI's CAA paper it rather grates....

VFE.

Say again s l o w l y
16th Jul 2007, 11:52
Jeez this all shows what a load of rubbish a lot of CFI's must be.

A CFI's job is too keep track of all their FI's and especially FI(R)'s. If they are allowing this sort of practise, then it isn't the FI(R) who need the kicking, but the people who supposedly set the standards.