PDA

View Full Version : Changing to the right hand seat, is it generally a problem?

Treeshaver
5th Jul 2007, 16:57
Hi to the instructors,

Basically did my first flight in the right hand seat of a single engine aircraft today, and after having flown all of my time in the LHS before i found it a bit difficult.
Did a few landings and I was dreadful . Just couldnt get a feel for the elevators with my right hand. Very embarrassing for somebody with a CPL.

Is it normal for people to have such problems at first when they switch seats? will i get used to it any time soon?

Cheers for any help.

huckleberry58
5th Jul 2007, 17:51
Yah, it's normal. Dont worry, you will get the feel of it eventually (and soon). It just takes time for your motor skills to adjust.
Incidentally, if you're anything like me, you may find yourself spending the next decade and a half in the RH seat (instructing then as a FO) before eventually settling back in the LHS so you can think of your PPL/CPL student days in the LHS as temporary. :E

Arfur Feck-Sake
5th Jul 2007, 18:48
Yes, it catches everyone out. Looks easy until you try it for the first time but it doesn't take long to get used to it. The conversion back to the LHS is generally a non-event.

Treeshaver
5th Jul 2007, 19:07
thanks for the encouragement. Flight wasnt too bad in general, steep turns were a bit iffy, but got them sorted. Then the landings, oh dear! Were as bad as my first efforts when doing my PPL, no joke! Lets hope things improve soon.

Kaptain Kremen
6th Jul 2007, 10:40
Doesn't take long to swap to RHS, though first time i tried i flew like a lemon. Obviously as an instructor you get used to the RHS after a while, so i ensure that any ferry trips/solo i always get back in the LHS to keep my hand in as it were.
KK

iws
7th Jul 2007, 14:29
An illustration of many years ago:

Over the Bass Rock (Dunbar) at 2000' I was RHS with an ATCO from Prestwick in the LHS. I was in command and leisurely reached out to switch the carb heat on - whereupon the engine stopped!

(The ATCO went white!).

Of course with the controls a-se about face I had pulled the mixture control full out instead. Never mind - the engine restarted ok.

We spent the next few minutes experimenting (for fun this time) to see how easy it would have been to glide on to the beach.

Shows how easily and lazily one can get accustomed to a particular panel layout.

Treeshaver
9th Jul 2007, 10:34
Ha! Dunno wot I was so worried about. Did a load of hours in the RHS over the week end and it now feels as natural as the other one. Guess it just caught me out a bit on the first flight.