PDA

View Full Version : CPL Multi IFR training - Serious advice!

Tonic Please
5th Jul 2007, 12:04
Hi all,

Well, I'm getting to a stage in my life (23 at the end of Oct), where I am trying to put things in serious priority. Canada is a dream of mine and has been for 8 years since I first went there. I got my PPL and have 100 hours on it from VFC in Victoria.

Now, I'm in France doing translation and interpretation studies (informally) and teaching English for some money, which is going well. In England, I taught Jazz Piano, and made £25/h with 9 students a week... Here, that's impossible. 33€/h just won't happen. I have also received 3 new student requests but had to decline. So, lots of money being missed over there for little work.

So, I read all the time that Canadians complain about there being no jobs, underpaid, unstable companies, and that they all try to go abroad for European companies. They also say they send hundreds of CVs and never get anything back. Note I am talking about under 300 hours, CPL Multi IFR like I shall be, if I do this.

Well, why is it that when I do a search for pilots online, all I do is find pages and pages of jobs for low time pilots. I wonder where on EARTH you're/they're looking! Niagara Air have a job going for a tour pilot around Niagara Falls and surrounding area. You telling me that they have received all these CVs you lot are sending, and have had to advertise online? For a satsifying job like that? They need not pay me to do an incredibly satisfying job like that! :=

So, they also have a flying school. I sent them an email, no response yet, asking about prices, roughly, so I can plan it in pounds/work here. I expect about £10K including living costs. Thats 23 thousand bucks. Well, I'll only need at least 100 hours, and the CPL training gives minimum 65. So with multi and IFR, this will exceed CPL and so shouldn't cost alot. I got 132/140 on my PPL, so I suppose this shows I learn quickly, and have good piloting skills. I'd like to hope I can carry this ability to another flying school, and do just as well, just as quickly (and cheaply!)

So, if I have positive feedback saying yes for god sake go back to England, take all these students, work nights in a megastore (more money working a night, students in the day), I could be getting £10K in about 6 months (including expense deductions). I'd go out for the Spring. All seems possible.

But then, you might all say no don't come. Stay away. There are no jobs (don't believe you, i've seen dozens and dozens all over the country for low time and experienced pilots, offering bloody good packages). You might give me some things to think about which I have not done yet.

I am completely open, but I need to know what to do, and I'm looking for as much help as possible.

Thanks a bunch,

an anxious Dan!

Mr_Pilot
6th Jul 2007, 09:36
For a satsifying job like that? They need not pay me to do an incredibly satisfying job like that!

Careful what you wish for danny boy...:= When you actually want to earn a living would you be happy to fly for nothing. A very touchy subject for a lot of people. Dont become a whore to the system, it makes it a lot harder to gain respect later on. We all start out with 0 hours at some time... Dont worry... you will get there if your work ethic is present....

Stay safe and enjoy your time in (France) Rouen is a great student town, mostly where I learnt most of my french... then again they do speak the international languge there as well :ooh:

Bonne continuation

AH...

cougar77
6th Jul 2007, 12:09
http://www.pprune.org/forums/showthread.php?t=282681

Tonic Please
6th Jul 2007, 12:15
Ok, I think this "would work for nothing" was taken a bit too seriously. I would not work for free, but the idea of flying every day with passengers, sharing conversation, in Canada around a point of natural beauty would be something I'd quite happily do without being paid.

However, I would require pay as I do being a translator and not damning that industry, and as I do charging £25/h with jazz piano.

I'd say the same thing for jazz. I'd happily give Jazz lessons for free since I love it so much! Listening, playing, sharing with interested people. Of course, I would not, but I would!

Perhaps a little less seriousness taken, however, I understand the viewpoint of working for nothing, and would not encourage it.

Regards