PDA

View Full Version : Crime Stats. : Rsa

ERASER
5th Jul 2007, 08:05
For pilots wishing to work in SA.

Crime stats : RSA total - Released by SA Gov.

Murder
01/02 21750
02/03 21500
03/04 20000
04/05 19000
05/06 18500
06/07 19250

House robbery
02/03 9000
03/04 9250
04/05 9500
05/06 10000
06/07 12750

Robbery (Business)
02/03 5500
03/04 3500
04/05 3250
05/06 4500
06/07 6750

Robbery (Bank)
01/02 350
02/03 125
03/04 50
04/05 50
05/06 50
06/07 175

Rape
01/02 54250
02/03 52500
03/04 52750
04/05 55000
05/06 54900
06/07 52500

Car hi jacking
01/02 16000
02/03 14750
03/04 13750
04/05 12500
05/06 12750
06/07 13500

APR 06 – APR 07
House robberies up 25,4%
Murder up 2,4%
Burglary (Business) up 52,5%
Indecent assault down 5,5%
Cash in Transit robbery up 7,6%
Rape down 5,2%
Car hi jacking up 6,0%
Attempted murder down 3,0

Worst / safest suburbs in Gauteng area;
Johannesburg
Worst : Booysens, Sandton, Hillbrow
Safest : Fairland, Rosebank, Brixton

East Rand
Worst : Primrose, Tsakane, Bedfordview
Safest : Dunnottar, Nigel, Heidelberg

North Rand
Worst : Tembisa, Ivory park, Midrand
Safest : Sebenza, Norkem park, Edenvale

Wes Rand
Worst : Roodepoort, Honeydew, Krugersdorp
Safest : Magaliesburg, Carletonville, Khutsong

Vaal-Rand
Worst : Evaton, Orange farm, De Deur
Safest : Boipatong, Die Barrange, Kliprivier

E

FatFlaps
5th Jul 2007, 13:33
Edenvale in the North Rand???!!!

Q4NVS
5th Jul 2007, 13:41
I am not a pesimist, but I think in comparison the numbers speak for themselves.

Ever considered the WAR in Iraq?

Well, for a similar period i.e. April 2006 to March 2007:

Iraqi Security Forces and Civilian Deaths = 23731
Military Fatalities (All Forces i.e. US, UK and Other) = 968
Total = 24699

SA Fatalities (Murders) = 77.9% of Iraq War :\

So YES, we are at WAR...! :mad:

http://icasualties.org/oif/

I.R.PIRATE
5th Jul 2007, 13:45
would love to see how many of these crimes are perpetrated by scum from outside SA.:confused:

AAL
5th Jul 2007, 14:47
A couple of years ago the world came in uproar about a small handful of farm murders (7 or 8?) in Zimbabwe. This barbarism was not acceptable and "The World" put their foot down and we all know the consequences today.

Yet the low intensity war and "genocide" thats happening in South Africa bothers nobody?

The world is a peculiar place. Would be interesting to hear the take of others about this!

superserong
5th Jul 2007, 15:09
Shocking and sad:yuk:. On the lighter side. I tried to get more life and loss of license insurance a while back. The broker told me that I wasn't insurable, as I was on contract in AFG at the time. I later found out that the deaths for that year (including war cassualties) were around 4000. Nearly laughed myself into a fit when I saw 1life advertising 1million cover for women below 30 for some real small installment. The sobering bit is, I guess, shes in more constant and actual danger than I am when I'm poling in some civil war somewhere. What makes the hair on the back of my neck stand is, I'm having the same conversations with my friends and family these days that my Zimbo mates were having 15years ago. I just hope it doesn't go down that road...dont really know what to do other than hope. :sad:
Keep it up there!:ok:
ps. if anyone knows of a cool place to get decent life/license insurance, please pm.

Heli_Sticktime
5th Jul 2007, 15:36
And.....you can be guaranteed those figures have been watered down, a huge amount of crime is not even reported in SA as there's no bloody point. No-one ever does anything about it. Half the "new" cops can't read, write, drive a car etc etc.:ugh:

cavortingcheetah
5th Jul 2007, 15:40
:hmm:

Mind you though, one can remember the time when the 'old' cops at Sandton were presented with eight, perhaps seven, BMW 535s by BMW/ZA.
From vague memory, they succeeded in crashing five in the first week.:ugh:

james ozzie
5th Jul 2007, 19:09
Murders up & attempted muders down by the same percent - does these mean the baddies are getting more effective??

nugpot
5th Jul 2007, 19:15
Murders up & attempted muders down by the same percent - does these mean the baddies are getting more effective??

More likely that the hospitals and ambulance services are getting less effective.....

Gigajoules
5th Jul 2007, 22:40
Q4NVS, I don't want to downplay the numbers (they are shocking) but the comparison with Iraq doesn't quite hold. Iraq has a population of roughly 26.7 million, which means the death rate per 100 000 for Iraqi civilians and security forces is approximately 89. SA, with a population of roughly 45 million has a death rate per 100 000 people of roughly 43 per 100 000 people due to murders. So, while not quite as dangerous as Iraq it is unacceptably high!!!!

Cry, the beloved country.....

oerlikon
5th Jul 2007, 22:54
So you're comparing SA with Iraq? That country is involved in a war, we're the rainbow nation, the builders of the future. We are a country that is at at peace more than any other country apart from Switzerland. You cannot compare deaths due to civil war to those in a peaceful, stable society, which is what we supposedely live in. If our statistics show a higher death toll it is through violent crime and nothing else.

Bring back the death penalty, and show criminals there is no tolerance of them, regardless of who they are or where they're from.

Happydays
6th Jul 2007, 00:25
Even better than the death penalty....shoot the savages on the crime scene, and make sure you kill them.

congoman
6th Jul 2007, 07:38
I believe it is your CIVIC DUTY to blow away an intruder if you catch him in your house. If you get all soft and ethical and NOT do this - he will surely murder/rape your neighbours family somewhere down the road.
So do the neighbourly thing and stop the criminal in his tracks. There will also be less pressure on the legal system. Courts wont be as clogged. Fewer political appeals for their buddies in over-crowded prisons (like we really give a s***t if the criminals are claustraphobic!)
Less taxpayers money spent on giving them 3 meals/day a bed to sleep on, clothes, TV and a library - while the poor victims family get NOTHING!
How would you feel if your neighbour had the oppertunity to end this cycle - and didn't. And your family gets wiped out because of his "so-called" morals about not shooting etc,etc. How would you feel then?
Don't leave it to the government to bring back the death penalty - they wont. We'll have to!
So if you ever get the oppertunity - be an upstanding responsible citizen and blow the criminal away! It's the RIGHT THING TO DO.:ok:

AAL
6th Jul 2007, 08:11
Congoman, your opinion and attitude is quite obviously the only solution!

Problem is that the shooter who acts in self defence, regardless that he is the victim, then ends up in the very same overfull, cramped and clausterphobic prisons you describe where he is guaranteed to receive the mandatory in-house AIDS death sentence.

Only in South Africa do criminals have more rights than honest hardworking law abiding citizens.

In your lament you forgot to mention that apart from the stuffy and overcrowded but otherwise very comfortable conditions, prisoners also receive a monthly financial allowance for their personal use - all this at the cost of their victims and taxpayers.

What a country! - Bring back the death sentence !

In the mean time all those countries and people who propogated and forced these diabolical changes in South Africa - should at vey least hang their heads in shame - otherwise take an active and clear position to force the intransigent South African government to do something about this carnage - in the same way they did about Zimbabwe at the time of a few handful deaths during the land invasions.

nugpot
6th Jul 2007, 09:25
He never said that you have to tell anybody about the criminal you just wasted............... ;)

JetNut
6th Jul 2007, 09:38
prisoners also receive a monthly financial allowance for their personal use - all this at the cost of their victims and taxpayers.

Criminals in our prison system are not the only one's being sponsored by the taxpayer. Criminals in SAA management are also sponsored by the taxpayer....its a sad, sad state of affairs. Where the new generation of SAA pilots have to deal with all this crap, whilst the the over-60 year olds who initially propogated the state of affairs we find ourselves in, have moved on to open up another airline at the expense of the SA taxpayer.

nugpot
6th Jul 2007, 09:45
JetNut, do you have to poison every thread with your anti-SAA drivel?

Don't you have any loyalty to the company that pays your inflated salary?

JetNut
7th Jul 2007, 16:20
JetNut, do you have to poison every thread with your anti-SAA drivel?

Don't you have any loyalty to the company that pays your inflated salary?

Thats where you got me very wrong mate. My posts reveal my loyalty to the SAA pilot fraternity. What bugs me to the core is when the people in charge of managing a promising airline mess it up terribly and then proceed to pay themselves fat bonuses for screwing up.

This is the only place I can vent my frustrations, so give me a break. What else can I do apart from fly this company's aircraft safely into the middle of Africa and back with 20 passengers?:ugh:

Oh, and by the way....what inflated salaries?

Q4NVS
7th Jul 2007, 17:18
What else can I do apart from fly this company's aircraft safely into the middle of Africa...

Maybe start your own SAA thread...:confused:

Metro man
8th Jul 2007, 00:03
I don't know how accurate the statistics are, but most of the SA pilots I work with have some one close to them who has been the victim of violent crime. Two murders in the last six months alone. No wonder so many of you are trying to get out.

Best of luck :(

putt for dough
11th Jul 2007, 08:41
Sadly here is another stat. A little closer to home?
10111 don't answer these days apparently.

SAA pilot, wife attacked
11/07/2007 08:29 - (SA)

SAA pilot Nico Grobler, 52, recovers in hospital after being attacked by robbers in his bedroom.

Christel Raubenheimer, Beeld

Pretoria - An SAA captain is in hospital with a bullet wound after robbers attacked him and his wife on Tuesday - for the second time in four days in a "safe" security complex in Pretoria.

Thieves also broke into Nico Grobler, 52, and his wife Poppet's house on Friday and stole her television set.

Two armed men attacked the couple in their bedroom in Mooikloof Gardens about 02:00 on Tuesday.

"One of them seemed to be having trouble cocking his gun and I charged at him," said Grobler from his hospital bed in Pretoria East Hospital.

A shot went off and hit Grobler in the leg.

In the pandemonium Grobler closed the bedroom door and locked it, keeping the robbers out. His wife wasn't injured.

Couple overpowered in bedroom

Grobler got up about two hours earlier, after their two Jack Russels started barking furiously. The two dogs can get out from the garage, but a door between the garage and the house was locked.

Grobler investigated when the dogs continued barking.

"They desperately wanted get inside the house, which they don't normally do," he said.

At least two robbers must already have been on the premises at the time. They broke open the back door, sneaked into the house and overpowered the couple in their bedroom.

That's when Grobler overpowered the robber while he was struggling with his gun.

"I don't know why I charged at them. My action was triggered by him battling with his gun. I couldn't just sit and wait for him to fix the gun," said Grobler.

The robbers grabbed Mrs Grobler's handbag on their way out.

Armed burglaries increased by 25%

"10111 (the police emergency number) failed to answer and I was sitting in the bathroom, bleeding.

"I called the head of the complex's security and the guard at the gate and eventually the police arrived. The robbers must still have been inside the complex, because there's no way out. And it is supposed to be safe inside," said Grobler.

He would probably be discharged from hospital on Wednesday.

Armed burglaries have increased by 25% over the past year, according to the latest police statistics.

The couple already had a 2,4m wall surrounding their house and on Tuesday had an alarm system installed in addition.

Grobler has been a pilot with SAA for the past 29 years. "It's a flesh wound. It didn't hit the bone. I will still be able to fly.

"I'm scared and angry. This is the second incident in four days inside a security complex," he said.

boogie-nicey
11th Jul 2007, 09:48
It is indeed sobering to read through this thread and note the rather uncomfortable statistics that accompany it. However with the world's eyes trained onto South Africa in just a few years time what will you do for the World Cup 2010...? With the mass of supporters flying in from every corner of the globe bringing plenty of cash and engaging in lots of drinking won't they attract all the criminals as easy targets?

AAL
11th Jul 2007, 11:55
Dear Boogie-nicey, and our fellow industry mates,

At this stage as the broader public we are less concerned about hosting the 2010 football world cup and the sport enthusiasts that will come here to watch. Events such as those are money making rackets anyway and no matter what we have to say the world will be spun a story to reassure visitors about their safety while here.

We are more concerned about our own and the safety of our loved one's. It is not just a story and sour grapes at the new government in power in South Africa. We are very seriously concerned about the safety situation in South Africa and government's clearly ineptitude and lack of will to prevent and stop this carnage. At the rate that things are going here it is anybody's guess where matters are going to end up in the near future.

We need friends and reasonable people to bring this situation of our plight to the attention of the world and seek pressure and awareness to bring about change and make a difference.

Solid Rust Twotter
11th Jul 2007, 18:39
Don't hold your breath.

Africa's past performance in this regard has been anything but laudable. Why should things change for the better now?:rolleyes:

oerlikon
11th Jul 2007, 20:52
Fans of the 2010 soccer world cup can rest assured that the SA government has plans in place to ensure the safety of spectators at the soccer venues (stadiums) and hotels.

This is a fact. There are actual figures tabling the distance of the ring of safety to be in place around a stadium.

This also means crime will, as a result of the police being tasked with safety and security at the matches, be redirected to the innocents of the country who do not go to the soccer matches.

This may sound like a joke, but its not. Check the arrangements for safety and security in 2010. Its deadly serious.:=

AAL
11th Jul 2007, 22:14
Oerlikon, dont know what planet you are from - you certainly are not in South Africa with the rest of us.

Surely you do not believe this yet just another empty undertaking of the South African government about tourist's safey, just like they have promised year after year that they are making new and more plans about plans to combat crime even promising to resign if no marked improvements. Nobody has resigned yet and the crime is getting worse by the day!

Simply ask the myriads of foreign tourists who are mugged and raped when they step out of their luxury hotels or held up and robbed when they leave the terminal building after arrival in JNB - wake up there is ample proof and evidence!

But again - forget about the tourists they are here of free will and choice - the origin and purpose of this thread was to inform the world of the suffering of South African citizens at the hands of murderous criminals, and in recent days and weeks about three very prominent aviation personalities having fallen victim of these heinous acts while the SA Government is conveniently or purposely (just like the AIDS problem) in denial of the truth and reality even charging those who dare to complain to leave.

Your assurances are just about as hollow and empty, and without authority, just as the promises of government year after year that they are going to do something about crime.

Come down to earth and be real!:ugh:

stop&go
12th Jul 2007, 05:41
Let’s just be honest with ourselves. No one in this word gives a dam what is happening to the citizens of this country or any other country in Africa for that matter. And no one is coming to the rescue. We are the only ones that can make a difference, but what to do? We are held by the short and curly's. The current oppression of the middle and upper middle class has been planed and is being executed to the number and divide and rule is at the order of the day. These guys are way ahead of us and to survive we better double up catch up. But oh…… got to get that pot of gold first.

boogie-nicey
12th Jul 2007, 09:35
Power in numbers is usually a good step, get together with a small group who have similar concerns at a grass roots level, setting up small groups around the country. Then club together as an organisation so that you can place an eye catching full page advertisement in a national newspaper for others to join your group (a thinly veiled slur on the politicians) this would permit you to reach out to even more people. Hopefully it'll attract the attention of the local media station who may wish to get you 'on air' as "The organisation that is daring to speak openly about RSA modern day problems that the politicians dare not admit". With so many people you could then hit back at the criminals. Offer free legal advice to those members who are accused when they were merely acting in self defence. This will allow you to hit back and then hide behind the legal aspect. Start compiling your records and statistics about crime so that you act upon it with private security groups in and around neighbourhoods, etc.