PDA

View Full Version : Aircraft hire in Essex/Suffolk

Mikehotel152
4th Jul 2007, 22:57
Good evening everyone!

Does anyone know of an economic and reputable source of aircraft for hire in East Anglia? Preferably Essex or South Suffolk.

I'm planning to take a PA-28 or C172 size for a week's trip up to and around Scotland in late August.

Any advice/info appreciated!

:O

pumper_bob
4th Jul 2007, 23:14
Earls Coln have a nice TB10 (G-TZEE) @ £125/hr wet. When you check out they will tell you to run it at 2150*21.5 inches! When your off on your own run it at 24/24 gives another 15kn, but probably burns a gallon or so more an hour, but well within the engines operating parameters. She was cruising at around 115kn at the second setting, which isn't that quick for a 180, but they are much more comfortable and spacious than a spammy! They also impress the girls more than a 100 year old 172 with the plastic falling off the door:eek:.
PB.
PS, watch the gull wing doors for two gotchas!
1. If its raining the water gets you.
2. If its windy the doors are very fragile when open.

Mikehotel152
5th Jul 2007, 18:10
Thanks for the idea Bob. It's definitely an option. I've read reasonably good things about the TB-10.

:)

Wessex Boy
6th Jul 2007, 12:08
Just across the border in Cambs is Modern Air at Fowlmere, nicely turned out larger aircraft for the discerning gentleman tourer:
http://home2.btconnect.com/modair/

I have flown one of the Archers, very nicely equipped, nice atmosphere at the club

pumper_bob
6th Jul 2007, 15:53
Wessex Boy
not being picky, but the original poster asked for "economic" and reputable places. Whilst i agree Modern Air are certainly reputable, they are hardly economic(cheap!) and if your moving into Cambridgeshire, then surely a trip to Little Gransden would be in order? That is if Skyline are still going? Seem to remember someone saying they turned up and it was like the Marie Celest!

Wessex Boy
6th Jul 2007, 15:59
PB, Modernair are a little pricy, but they only charge you for what you do, no minimum hours per day, etc, which could make a difference to the overall bill. Also cruising that distance in a decent Archer at 115kts, might work out cheaper than an old Warrior at 100kts!

Mikehotel152
6th Jul 2007, 20:22
:)

Sounds interesting Wessex Boy. Modern Air's aircraft are certainly very impressive and would make the Scotland trip a real pleasure.

Once I sort out my intinerary and work out how much flying I'll be doing, I may have a word with Modern Air.

Skyline are still operating according to their website but I think it's a little far from Ipswich to Little Gransden to be a viable option.

:ok: