PDA

View Full Version : A golden opportunity...

KenDoddsDadsDogsDied
4th Jul 2007, 16:47
A local friend of mine is to take delivery of a 280 fx shark in the coming months. It may be I will fork out for the rating on the 280 (I am currently rated on the R22) and fly his machine.

I have researched the Enstrom products but the only tangible I can not get feedback on is how the two compare in handling / safety / better machine etc.

Be grateful for anyone's feedback.

KDDDD

Bravo73
4th Jul 2007, 17:47
KDDD,

This thread should answer most of your questions:

Enstrom Corner (http://www.pprune.org/forums/showthread.php?t=190595)

If you've got any more, I'm sure that a gent called Gaseous - an Enstrom owner (amongst others) - would be happy to try to answer them.

:ok:

KenDoddsDadsDogsDied
4th Jul 2007, 17:58
Just spent a few minutes gleaning a wealth of information great link. I should have started there first. Thanks Bravo73

Bravo73
4th Jul 2007, 18:06
You're welcome. :ok:

md 600 driver
4th Jul 2007, 18:53
I have researched the Enstrom products but the only tangible I can not get feedback on is how the two compare in handling FAR BETTER /safety EVEN MORE BETTER / better machine you have already said that yourself .
in all cases the enstrom fx is a far superior helicopter than the robinson ,
and also remember the uk safety record no one has ever had a fatal accident in a enstrom in the uk

Helipilot1982
4th Jul 2007, 19:09
I have about 80 hours on both - and the enstrom is a much nicer machine to fly. Its smoother, a little faster and has a little more power. The Rrpm doesnt fluctuate as much when practicing autos and its has a better safety record.
If you have only flown a robo before though - you may find using the throttle more a bit confusing because there is no governor on the enstrom.

The enstrom is also aerobatic (no teetering head)

Still, although i do appreciate the plus sides of the robo (and yes it has a couple) - i was glad that i learnt to fly in the enstrom simply because of the throttle manipulations you have to use, and the governor failures i have had in the robo.

Hope this helps!!!:ok:

KenDoddsDadsDogsDied
5th Jul 2007, 07:26
I always feel safe in my Robbie, but then again i never do anything creative so to speak. After having read everything on the forum about the Enstom product I am quite looking forward to trying the 280.

My only reservation is the throttle manipulation but I am certain that will come.

It seems I will have to travel to do the rating. I live near to Peterborough. Any advice as to closest school would be appreciated.

KDDDD

Twiddle
5th Jul 2007, 07:57
"and the governor failures i have had in the robo."

Wow, for a few thousand accumulated flying hours I can't recall a single governor failure in any of the Robbos at the place I fly from, so to have had multiple failures in 80 seems pretty unlucky?

ThomasTheTankEngine
5th Jul 2007, 08:26
You could try Manchester Helicopter Center at Barton airfield, I don't know if they are the closest to you but they’ve been flying Enstroms for umpteen years.

http://www.themanchesterhelicoptercentre.co.uk/home/default/

KenDoddsDadsDogsDied
5th Jul 2007, 12:54
Thanks for that. Have visited their web site and got all the data. Looks like the thick end of £2K to do the conversion. I must now balance the rental cost post rating vs R22 wet rent cost currently around £165 hr plus VAT.

That said, what price safety? By all accounts from my study Enstrom appear to be a more robust aircraft. My wife could be swayed by this tack as she is never comfortable with me flying anyway.

;)

KenDoddsDadsDogsDied
5th Jul 2007, 18:35
I have just spent some time looking over the FX as it has arrived.

First of all what a great looking machine. I never realised it would be so much bigger than the R22. Everything just has a more substantial look and feel to it from the nose to the tail rotor.

The drive belt is about 5" inches wide for Pete's sake :eek:

Altogether a different animal and I totally 'get' all the comments I have read these few days. I really am looking forward to do the rating now. It looks sleek and shark like for sure. I just know autos are going to be a tad more leisurely.

There may be other newbie pruners, low hour, just tasting the world of rotary post ppl like me so for their benefit I will report my experience between the two when we get the job going.

Starting this coming Monday... :ok:

slim40
5th Jul 2007, 20:42
Hey KdoubleDsquared,

Hope you are going to bring it down to Conington for us to have a peek?
I'm always interested in new toys!

Slim

Heli-kiwi
6th Jul 2007, 02:51
"The enstrom is also aerobatic (no teetering head)"
So what is your version of Aerobatics HP1982? A Stars and H300s don't have teetering heads and I've yet to see one loop or roll like a BO105........
Have worked on Robbies for years and haven't heard of any governor failures but I'm sure KDDDD won't fall victim to confusion having to work the throttle in flight as he would normally have to at the start and end of every flight anyway. :rolleyes:

md 600 driver
6th Jul 2007, 03:48
the 280fx has a corolator for the throttle you dont need to control it as much as the 28a or 280

KenDoddsDadsDogsDied
6th Jul 2007, 07:27
Slim 40 indeed I will, however all in good time.

I meet the instructor this coming Monday. I have a 'go' from Mrs KDDDD (she who must be obeyed) with a spend limit up to £3K. :) So full report in the future as I do the cross over.

KDDDD

md 600 driver
6th Jul 2007, 07:28
who is yor instructor ?

KenDoddsDadsDogsDied
6th Jul 2007, 07:33
At this moment I know him as 'Tim'. He is meeting the aircraft owner to do a refresher and I will be waiting in the wings so to speak. I will pm you with his details once I know fully unless you already know him?

Gaseous
6th Jul 2007, 08:30
"I'm sure that a gent called Gaseous - an Enstrom owner (amongst others) - would be happy to try to answer them." Thanks B73,certainly will.
KDDDD
I started off with R22 then R44 ratings before moving on to Enstrom. All 3 are fine machines but I am happiest in a good Enstrom - and there is the problem. I have flown some bloody awful ones. In good condition and set up right they are a joy to fly.
There are plenty of people who post here who hate Enstroms, probably because their only experience of them is in one of the duds.
To keep them nice takes an engineer who truly understands them and an owner who is prepared to pay what it takes.
I hope your friends FX is a good one. If it is, you'll love it.
Phil

HillerBee
6th Jul 2007, 09:32
'I just know autos are going to be a tad more leisurely.'

I can assure it's more than a tad. They are extremely relaxed.

The instructor is probably Tim Price from Shoreham, nice chap loads of experience.

The helicopter might have aerobatic capabilities, but are still prohibited and are you aerobatic. Watch the Dennis Kenyon video, but don't try it yourself!

The Enstrom is in my opinion by far the best 2-3 seater piston helicopter on the market, for cruising I would say. I wish you a lot of fun with it.

ps. don't worry about throttle control. it's very easy in the Enstrom, you hardly have to move it at all.

KenDoddsDadsDogsDied
6th Jul 2007, 10:08
I believe this man does come up from Shoreham. The aircraft has just had new blades fitted so I am sure the tracking must have been done at the same time. Thanks to all for all comments and advice so far.

KDDDD

EN48
7th Jul 2007, 11:28
See the U. S. NTSB web site for accident reports - a real education. When I last looked a few months ago, there were 417 posted Enstrom reports dating to 1965. I read every one as I was condisering the purchase on an Enstrom at that time (and have subsequently purchased a new 480B). There have been some fatal accidents in the U.S in Enstroms, but relatively few, and also relatively few accidents (fatal/non fatal) due to mechanical issues in well maintained ships.

I have no 280fx time, but about 60 hours in the E 480B and 25 hours in the R22. Both have their place, but the Enstrom is my favorite by far. Smooth, quiet, roomy, forgiving, and with plenty of power.

RB

EN48
7th Jul 2007, 11:42
I checked the NTSB website and found only two E280FX fatal accidents listed since 1982: 2001 - a wire strike, and 1992 - an inadvertent IMC encounter. There are only 35 fatal accidents posted since 1965 for all Enstrom models, and the vast majority of these are wire strikes, inadvertent IMC or orther wx related factors, and fuel exhaustion.

RB

md 600 driver
7th Jul 2007, 16:16
do you know which fx it is SN i think my old one has just been sold GOSAB /GSOPP
steve

KenDoddsDadsDogsDied
7th Jul 2007, 17:02
All I can say without going to see it again is that its red in colour G BX..something I think.. I will find out though for you.

The paint work suprised me as it made it look pretty well new. The datcon was 700+ something from visual memory. The seats were a grey material covering. The cockpit was equally as tidy.

It is my understanding a 480B was sold and this machine was a consideration in the bargain price. Sounds like yours?

I had an hour in an R22 today and took a nervous lady friend for a local area flight. I spent a good half hour doing the preflight and looked at it with new eyes so to speak.

It really is a clever compact piece of kit and the design from an engineering bias must be applauded. I really was very alert as to how the machine handled today and tried my utmost to ensure her comfort at all times. It reminded me of a lean, sensitive and alert animal, a bit like a working Spaniel.

I still believe all said and done, in daylight, good weather, with nothing creative by the pilot they are an excellant machine, sensitive yes but given respect will always give an honest account of itself.

Personally I believe if you can get it right in a R22 then this must be a good grounding / springboard to other types.

The Enstrom transition is going to be quite interesting.. :)