PDA

View Full Version : What do Flight Instructors get paid?

TINTIN25
4th Jul 2007, 12:17
I am in my mid 20s and are nearing the completion of my flight instructor rating and would like to know if anyone knows how much a Junior Grade 3 instructor should be paid per flight hour or briefing, not too sure how it all works?

Being my first flying job I am really afraid of being taken advantage of. I have heard stories about first time pilots only getting paid $5 an hour which sounds appaling in Australia. I know the pay is low but I didn't think it was less than what cleaners get paid??

Charlie Foxtrot India
4th Jul 2007, 13:36
The award is here: http://www.afap.org.au/html/s02_article/article_view.asp?id=103&nav_cat_id=130&nav_top_id=74&dsb=529

Basically as a new grade three you should be getting a base salary of $31489 pa, or casual $49.20 per hour.

This is little enough, but some will try to get you to work for even less. Don't accept anything less, you and your skills are valuable. Beware of accepting a job where they ask you to get an ABN and invoice them as if you are a "contractor", this is just a way of employers wriggling out of paying your super and compo entitlements, and also means you may not be covered by their public liability insurance. Remember as a new gr 3 you need direct supervision, this alone negates the definition of "contractor".

It's an instructor's market out there, and it's your generation that have the ability to stop the exploitation if you all stand up for yourselves now.

Good luck!:ok: