PDA

View Full Version : Food

HyperMoose
28th Jun 2001, 23:37
My parents are back from a holiday reporting the worst air food ever. They flew a British Midlands economy class flight to Italy. Both ways they were served slimy cold pasta swirls that with the low pressure induced loss of taste was utterly fowl. A walk down the plane revealed very little had been eaten. A friend used to charter planes in Europe (he ran a ski company) - the difference between giving his punters a gourmet feast or a fowl concoction was less than £3 a meal. As far as economy travel goes I’ve had the best and worst on charter flights.

Is passenger food a reflection of crew meal quality? Who has the best/worst of either? Are some countries or airports catering black spots?

------------------
- Adrian
=http://www.adrian mars.com

mainfrog2
28th Jun 2001, 23:53
I wouldn't be able to feed our crew meals to a starving dog. 10 our day and we get something that looks like a reject from the local petrol station. The passengers miss nothing.

Johnny F@rt Pants
29th Jun 2001, 00:08
I've had squid in it's own ink once when working on a sub-charter in Spain!

Can anyone beat that?

Bono Vox
29th Jun 2001, 04:37
Try Thai- super food, even in economy, but if you get an upgrade.... WOW!

Wee Weasley Welshman
29th Jun 2001, 04:46
Who on earth wants an in flight meal on a UK - Italy flight?!!?

Fly low cost and spend the savings on a slap up Italian meal on arrival (after the Mercedes taxi you can now afford takes you to your hotel) then impress the missus with some flowers from the savings you'll make on the return leg... ;)

Vinegar Strokes
29th Jun 2001, 16:50
Is that "fowl" as in chicken or "foul" as in disgusting?

I have to agree though, I've suffered the same menu and won't touch the stuff now.

hassel
29th Jun 2001, 17:11
WWW looks like a free ad to me! http://www.stopstart.fsnet.co.uk/Gif/homercake.gif

Scooby Doo
30th Jun 2001, 03:07
Fly low cost? Not anymore! Go High Class and sip Dom Perignon to begin, followed by iced cold vodka to wash down the Sevruga Caviar, Blinis and accompaniments, whilst waiting for your appetiser of marinated smoked salmon with a salad of mixed leaves. To be followed by a breast of chicken, boiled new potatoes and gratineed seasonal vegetables.

Oh...and now dessert! A soufle of cream cheese and dates and cinnamon cream!

You lot think I'm dreaming? well the Dom and Vodka were 'off the menu' but the rest was readily available two days ago. I'm salivating just thinking about it!

So which airline guys? The clue is in the dessert....or should that be desert?

Avman
30th Jun 2001, 03:15
Must have been Caledonian Wings Scooby Doo!!!

penguin
30th Jun 2001, 03:44
It was mealtime during our trip on a small airliner flying over the northwest.
"Would you like dinner?" the flight attendant asked the man seated in front of me.
"What are my choices?" he asked.
"Yes or no," she replied.

Gash Handlin
1st Jul 2001, 18:30
The best deal I ever had was on BA commuter from Birm to Glas.

They had forgotten to load the meals so they gave us as much booze as we could carry on the way out of the door :) :) a win:win in my opinion

Meridianman
1st Jul 2001, 23:32
An Englishman complaining about the food! And I thought you people would eat anything.

I can see why you blokes drink so much. Your food is not exactly cuisine. Breakfast is the only good food you’ve got.

How’s the beef these days? :)

SLF@LBA
2nd Jul 2001, 02:11
Hypermoose:

Was this a scheduled flight, or BD was operating a charter on behalf of someone else? If the latter is the case then your parents should complain to the tour operating company. The quality of food on charters is dependant on what the tour operator is prepared to pay the airline to feed their passengers.

HyperMoose
4th Jul 2001, 01:21
SLF@LBA: no it was scheduled flight, British Midland deserve all the blame. I feel sorry for their crew who presumably suffer equally nasty crew meals day in day out. And All for the sake of a couple of quid per person. Even a cheap but decent lump bread and cheese would have been a vast improvment.

-Adrian

------------------
- Adrian

HyperMoose
4th Jul 2001, 01:27
Scooby Doo: I do hope either you're so obsurdly rich you wouldn't even begin to notice the cost or as is ussually the caase somebody else was paying? If not your're welcome to boast of the loveliness of the food - It's the most expensive meal you can eat (and yes I am including nosh suplied by one of the world's greatest chefs like an Anton Mosemon 30 course meal at say, the Dorchester).

Think what else you could do with he money. I'll take the cash every time.

-Adrian

------------------
- Adrian

HFB320M
4th Jul 2001, 01:33
Flying within the C.I.S.
on a scale from 0 to 10 - it was a minus 2.
The vodka was ok - you needed it.

Apparently things have improved a little bit
now.

HFB320M

HyperMoose
4th Jul 2001, 02:02
>I thought you people would eat anything.

Meridianman, You're several decades behind the times, our cities are full of very fine restaurants, delis and increasingly farmers markets. I put it down to increased wealth, growth of the middle-classes, foreign travel, immigration, and the 40 odd years time since post-war osterity cast a shadow over British food.

London isa at least on a par with NY on the restaurant front and in some recent commentators opinions does much better.

On the beef front, yes it’s alarming, I don’t eat European beef anymore. Blame Maggie Thatcher and her Government for that one.

-Adrian

------------------
- Adrian

Scooby Doo
5th Jul 2001, 01:27
Rich? you must be kidding, I was just driving the thing! Perks of the job I guess.

Just got back this evening, dinner included a soup of seasonl fresh vegetable, followed by a wonderfully moist fillet of salmon. The aforementioned souffle of dates and cream cheese followed the fish.

First class food for the pilots is part and parcel of working for good quality airlines.
Trouble is I've put on 5kgs since I joined this airline!

Scottie
5th Jul 2001, 01:40
Hypermoose,

Pax love those pasta dishes (so do I). Take a look at Marks & Spencers pasta salads. Same company does both.

Bacon & Spinach gets my vote :) :) :)

M.Mouse
5th Jul 2001, 03:08
Meridianman

Your statement made me laugh. It is a little like me saying that all food in the US is awful. In my book your fast food is truly awful, but I have also eaten in some excellent US restaurants.

If you come over to the UK I would be delighted to take you to any one of the good local pubs/restaurants withinn 30 minutes drive of LHR, at my expense, to prove you wrong! You might have to drink warm beer though.