PDA

View Full Version : Captains flying on RIGHT SEAT !

Zenj
2nd Jul 2007, 20:08
Hi

Can I know the requirements from the various airlines and possibly on JAA/FAA point of view on Captains flying/occupying right seat.

Thanks

Zenj

global707
2nd Jul 2007, 20:18
Zenj

Under JAR OPS 1, any Captain who flies from both seats should demonstrate the 3 minimum items of:

1. Eng Failure after V1
2. Single Eng go-around
3. Single Eng landing

If a Captain demonstrates these to a satisfactory standard then he is OK to sit in either seat. It could be that a Captain completes an OPC/LPC completely in the RHS, which if he does, he would then have to demonstrate the above 3 items from the LHS in order to operate again from both seats.

Hope this is helpful (and correct...)

reynoldsno1
2nd Jul 2007, 20:32
Happens a lot in helicopters .....

Zenj
2nd Jul 2007, 20:38
Global707

Can you send me the extract or the exact reference from JAR-OPS 1 ?

Need to attach it officially

Thanks

global707
2nd Jul 2007, 20:41
Sorry Mate

I am afraid that I don't have it. This is just recall stuff. Yiou can access JAR OPS material thriugh the web. It may of course be in the throws of changing over to EASA (I am lost on those details)

Good luck

rubik101
2nd Jul 2007, 21:20
Why the exclamation mark!?
Think it's a complete no-no or just got excited?
It happens, all the time. Live with it.

parabellum
2nd Jul 2007, 23:41
An exception to the above by global on heavy crew, long haul, used to be if two Captains and one FO comprise the crew then as long as the Capt wasn't in the RHS for take off and landing he only had to demonstrate an all engines VMC circuit from the RHS in the SIM. May all have changed by now though.

It was quite common to have Capts RHS checked in the charter days, gave more flexibility.

BelArgUSA
3rd Jul 2007, 00:26
Zenj -
xxx
As far as US/FAA rules are concerned (FAR Part 121) a captain may occupy the RHS provided he completed a RHS proficiency check to demonstrate a takeoff with V1 engine failure, and a 1 engine-out approach and landing.
xxx
Here in Argentina, we observe FAA rules (with very few exceptions) - all our 747 F/Os are P1 qualified and fly the LH seat when they are PF. When acting as PNF, captains occupy the RHS.
xxx
Interesting to note, I am also qualified as F/E (I fly 747-200s), so I actually could occupy any seat. Further, NOTHING in FAA rules says that a captain has to occupy the LHS or RHS, provided he has access to ALL controls. Since the 747s have a nose wheel steering tiller at the RHS station, he can elect to fly from the RHS.
xxx
Occupancy of LHS or RHS are only sanctionned by individual airline policies. We found that F/O occupancy of LHS has never been a source of incidents or accidents, and this enhances their proficiency at the time they upgrade as captain. We have a 99.9% pass rate on 747 captain upgrades...
xxx
Global 707 - Single engine approaches and go around...?¿?¿?
Well, yeah, we do that for fun in the 747 simulator, if some time is left.
The approach and landing are generally ok, but for the go around, we often crash. Sorry, we lack proficiency.
xxx
:}
Happy contrails

dv8
3rd Jul 2007, 09:21
Here you go Zenj

Appendix 1 to JAR-OPS 1.968
Pilot qualification to operate in either pilot’s
seat
(a) Commanders whose duties also require
them to operate in the right-hand seat and carry out
the duties of co-pilot, or commanders required to
conduct training or examining duties from the righthand
seat, shall complete additional training and
checking as specified in the Operations Manual,
concurrent with the operator proficiency checks
prescribed in JAR-OPS 1.965(b). This additional
training must include at least the following:
(1) An engine failure during take-off;
(2) A one engine inoperative approach
and go-around; and
(3) A one engine inoperative landing.

hetfield
3rd Jul 2007, 09:28
shall complete additional training and
checking as specified in the Operations Manual,

This means, not only ONCE. It has to kept current.

Max Angle
3rd Jul 2007, 11:38
We fly right seat quite a bit at the moment (less now we are hiring new FO's) and as said above we have to do a small RH seat check at the end of every sim. session to maintain the tick in the box. Although the CAA are happy to let us operate as PF the company policy is that we only operate as PNF when in the RH seat unless you are a trainer. We normally get round that by swapping seats half way through the day on a multi sector trip so we both get some landings, the company leaves it to us to nominate who is going to be in command of each flight and how we share out the flying.