PDA

View Full Version : Nose gear accidentally retracted in Beijing?

EmDeer
2nd Jul 2007, 17:22
http://www.airliners.net/open.file?id=1230411&size=L

Text below the photo:

B-2553 (cn 23744/155) Nose landing gear was accidentally retracted during boarding at gate 209. Two people were injured on board.

Now my question: How can you "accidentally" retract the nose gear of a B767? Or was it "just" a simple collapse? Has anybody more infos on that incident? Just asking because I´m flying the same type of A/C.

WildDart
2nd Jul 2007, 21:43
I always thought there were safety systems onboard to stop this type of thing happening, sounds crazy to me!

Any further details this?

Defruiter
2nd Jul 2007, 21:57
Link is dead here...

bnt
2nd Jul 2007, 22:16
Link works for me, and the picture is almost exactly as I imagined it: a 767-300ER, at a gate, on its nose. There's no date on it, though.

Spitoon
2nd Jul 2007, 22:21
Now my question: How can you "accidentally" retract the nose gear of a B767? Or was it "just" a simple collapse? Has anybody more infos on that incident? Just asking because I´m flying the same type of A/C.I'm always rather hopeful that pilot will know that sort of thing!

EmDeer
2nd Jul 2007, 23:11
I'm always rather hopeful that pilot will know that sort of thing!
I started this thread because I thought I knew that retracting the nose gear on ground is not possible (except by pushing and holding a certain switch, but then it is a deliberate action in my opinion - not accidential). So I would like to know more about this incident to see if I´m wrong or if there are some factors involved that are not yet known.
Link works for me, and the picture is almost exactly as I imagined it: a 767-300ER, at a gate, on its nose. There's no date on it, though.
Info box below the photo says July 1, 2007.

NigelOnDraft
2nd Jul 2007, 23:44
These case are usually "engineering" issues. Reported Hyd / gear problems require diagnosing, requiring a complex set of tests with vairous pins in/out pumps on/off etc. Get the sequence out of order, and hey presto :rolleyes:
Go through the AAIB website and you will see BA have a good run of these on 747s :{

GlueBall
2nd Jul 2007, 23:55
bnt. . .it's not a -300, because if it were it would have a tail skid. :ooh:

PW1830
3rd Jul 2007, 02:04
Perhaps the appearance of the tail skid is related to the position of the gear lever?

Dan Winterland
3rd Jul 2007, 02:32
I think the aircraft is a 200ER. I base this assumption on the fact Beoing thought to write B676-200ER on the tail!

Also reported with picture in the South China Morning Post yeasterday. parralel thread in the Asia forum.

Bullethead
3rd Jul 2007, 03:31
Here's a thought, odd I know, the fact that I had a thought not the thought itself perhaps.
Maybe the a/c was almost ready to pushback, i.e. the hydraulics were powered up, and a box in the centre console, under the gear lever needed to be changed, F/Os FMC perhaps, for which the gear lever would probably need to be in the UP position . . . . . . . .
The main landing gear retracts inward and there might not be enough hydraulic push to get it to retract with the weight of the aicraft on it but the nose gear retracts forward and once started nothing will stop it.
It's a bit hard to tell from the pic, but if the main landing gear doors were open then this would be a giveaway, that the gear had been selected up.
Just a thought.
Regards.

Long Haul
3rd Jul 2007, 04:04
The engineer from our airline there told me that they had been testing the landing gear system with the safety pin installed. The aircraft passed the test, so they began boarding. At that point they decided to redo the same test or do another one, I'm not sure, but in the meantime someone had removed the safety pin, so the nosegear retracted. Unfortunately, at that moment a passenger who was just stepping onto the aircraft fell on to the ramp. The co-pilot suffered serious back injuries and many other passengers were injured as well.

Joe le Taxi
3rd Jul 2007, 04:59
I hope that guy in the doorway is careful, otherwise he will add to the tally of injuries.

skiesfull
3rd Jul 2007, 17:57
You cannot retract the landing gear on the ground........you can only lower the aircraft!!!!