PDA

View Full Version : IR Renewal

VFE
2nd Jul 2007, 11:52
Hi folks,

Posting on another thread got me thinking (and you'll have to excuse my laziness because I'm off work today so have not got access to LASORS).......

How long can you leave it before renewing your IR and would it be possible to do any recurrent training and the test itself from the right hand seat as opposed to the left, due to the fact I'm happier sat there now after 12 months of PPL instructing?

Cheers for your help,

VFE.

portsharbourflyer
2nd Jul 2007, 12:41
The only thing to bear in mind is the five year rule.

After five years with out renewing then you are required to do the renewal test with a CAA staff examiner. Other that that it is just training as required and a renewal test with any ME/IR examiner.

Actually you will find after instructing that going back to the left hand seat isn't a problem (where as when you when from left seat to right seat during instructor training it felt quite strange for a few hours).

LD Max
2nd Jul 2007, 13:11
If you have access to a PC, you have access to LASORS:

http://www.caa.co.uk/lasors

I would add that if you have an IMC rating, this is valid for 25 months from the date of either your last IR or IMC renewal or revalidation. However, you MUST ask your examiner to sign the IMC as well as the IR in your licence in order to get this entitlement.

You can REVALIDATE your IR up to 3 months prior to expiry with no loss of entitlement. e.g. If your rating is due to expire on the 10th December 2007 and you take your flight test on the 10th September 2007, your revalidated rating will remain valid until the 10th December 2008. However if you take your flight test on the 9th September 2007, your rating would only remain valid until the 8th September 2008.

In the above example, a flight test taken any time AFTER the 10th December 2007 would be classed as a RENEWAL, although the test profile is exactly the same. As stated by "portsharbourflyer", a flight test taken after the 10th of December 2011 (5 years from the last renewal / revalidation) would need to be conducted by a CAA staff examiner.

I, personally, would definately recommend a couple of hours with an instructor, especially if you plan on combining the test with a MEP renewal / revalidation. This would also serve to get you comfortable in the Left hand seat again.

the dean
2nd Jul 2007, 13:16
hi vfe,

you would be better sitting in the left seat unless you have dual instruments as parallax would be a problem from the right...and anyway if you've ever tried to teach instruments from the right hand side you know how difficult it is if you're doing the flying..it is difficult and can be confusing and due to parallax not likely to be as accurate (whan you think you are on the ILS from the side if may look like the needle is in the middle and it may not be..)

also the scan is more difficult from the right.....

i would'nt do it..and agree with portsharbourflyer...its no big deal switching back to the left hand seat...

the dean

VFE
2nd Jul 2007, 13:34
Cheers for the info there guys - much appreciated.

Left hand seat it is then! Was just thinking about the advantages to be gained for when it comes to instructing instruments from the right hand seat, but I guess just passing the renewal is the primary important thing really!

Thanks again.

VFE.