PDA

View Full Version : SIA - "Take Local terms or Leave"?

parabellum
2nd Jul 2007, 11:35
A poster on another forum has just made the following statement:

"I personally know three expat captains called into the office in the last four years that were told:
"Either go onto local terms or leave"

I have heard of expat FOs being told that in order to upgrade to command they will have to change to local terms but never heard of expat captains being given such an ultimatum, can anyone either confirm or deny that expat captains are being told to go local or leave please?

MASsenger
2nd Jul 2007, 23:50
Welcome to FINE country. It`s their call mate!

parabellum
2nd Jul 2007, 23:54
I lived there for ten years and worked for them!:}

Just wanted to know if things had changed so much.

Merlinrabbi
3rd Jul 2007, 11:45
Are they referring to guys who are reaching 60 ? i know they are asking the OBS guys who are reacing 60 whether they are interested in local terms (SQC). Just flown with one who went to the 4th floor before his flight back home.

parabellum
3rd Jul 2007, 23:48
I think that may be the case Merlin, I do know someone who has just gone from Pax -400 to SQC, (on reaching sixty), and taken the lower deal but he is still on expat. Ts & Cs.

Merlinrabbi
4th Jul 2007, 01:27
i guess its up to individual's bargaining power. the fellow who went for the interview told me one of his OBS friends wasn't even given expat terms. its local term plus the lower starting. :{

Thermal Image
4th Jul 2007, 02:43
A poster on another forum has just made the following statement:

"I personally know three expat captains called into the office in the last four years that were told:
"Either go onto local terms or leave"

The story has unfolded.

The information that was conveniently missing was:

1. That their contracts were nearing expiry.

2. There was no obligation on either party to renew the contract as per the existing terms. But a fresh contract was offered, and it was to be on local terms.

3. This fresh contract, on local terms, were the only terms being offered to them, hence, in 5 words, take it or leave it.

It is not quite the same picture being painted, as the original author intended by his convenient omission of certain integral events, as having 3 expat captains being called in, suddenly and for no apparent reason, and being given an ultimatum.

Thank you for seeking the facts out.

Metro man
4th Jul 2007, 05:42
The price of the extras enjoyed in the Expat contract is that you are disposable, ie short term hire to meet peaks in demand and easy to get rid of when things tail off. Suits some people looking for a fill in job for a while or wanting to see how they like the place before making a long term commitment.

If you want stability and employment rights stay home or go on local terms.

Tongkat Ali
4th Jul 2007, 10:28
Hi,
Thermal Image and Metro are both right in this instance. You expats at SIA are all dispensible and disposable. Sadly the mobs running SQ and " Temasik " are so like the regime holed in Jeruselam: they're the J**s of the East. They are efficient but ruthless, looking for their " pound " of flesh ala Merchant of Venice.:}

Dan Winterland
4th Jul 2007, 12:36
Well I hope thay have a good supply of pilots wanting to join. Reducing your employees terms and conditions just as the biggest pilot shortage in many years is about to take effect doesn't seem too sensible to me!

411A
4th Jul 2007, 12:56
Oh, it happened before, Dan, at the same location many years ago when they were just a tad smaller in fleet size.
It was...expats are expensive, let's see if we can whittle down the terms and just see how many bite...very few did, and oddly enough, some flights were canceled, and all hell broke loose in the head shed.
This was almost as big a fiasco as the time their first 747 was sold to another operator, yet when the customer came to inspect prior to delivery, it was found parked way back behind a hangar at Paya Lebar with no engines...as those had been sold already to someone else.
Heads rolled, you can be sure....:}

Raj Merlion
4th Jul 2007, 22:18
Is it that SQ never learn or that is their strategy? They normally take long term strategy in aircraft acquisitions, passenger market, etc but when it comes to pilots, it's always seem like a niggardly reactionary approach.:ugh:

411A
5th Jul 2007, 02:29
Never learn..or perhaps rather slow learners.
Take your pick.

huckleberry58
5th Jul 2007, 17:38
Raj, in this particular case if you look at the amount of training going on in SQ right now you would eat your own words. But I do agree in many areas they are reactionary.