PDA

View Full Version : Air navigation ground school days

mrshoe
1st Jul 2007, 18:29
During the last 14 days, I have spent the mornings in the Library and the afternoons at my home study learnig about Air Navigation. The past 2 days have been all about revising and doing excercises on Basic Navigation Theory and Flight Planning. Every morning before my work day starts, i look at TAFS/ METARS, Uk low level wind spot charts (form 214) and the forecast weather below 10,000ft amsl (form 215). Weatherjack, AIS, NATs and The Met office websites are the ones that i use mostly. I have found these sites which wil give information on the UK sunrise and sunset times - I couldn’t use my internet skills to get a copy of the Air Almanac - try the U.S. Naval Observatory and Canterbury Weather
If you wanted to get an overview of Uk winds check this site called XC Weather

I have created my own template flight log which is a cut and paste of several versions. It needs a tiny tweek. I have found planing pretend cross country flights a great way to understand the theory as I have not flown an aeroplane for over 31 days. Weather has been the main factor for the lack of flying. I have a new ICAO 1:500:000 and CAA 1:250:000 maps - some difference between the 2 maps are the height to which certain airspace is shown and the CAA map has more detail.

It is starting to make sense and i know that once i get back in the air and learn air navigation i will get the answers to areas that i am finding slightly taxing. These taxing issues should not be causing me problems as they are meant to be skills that can be used in flight to keep things simple. I have always had problems with simple things. I am not good with mental maths and am trying very hard to master Dead reckoning, calculating pressure density, dealing with compass errors, calculating off track angles. I have been writing a list of questions to present to my instructor for help….

CAA Safety leaflets: I recommend student pilots to visit the CAA website and download the safety leaflets.

I have downloaded the following leaflets:-
Wake vortex
weight and balance
flight in controlled airspace
Good airmanship
RT

And i have the following literature from AIP and AIC - AIP Altimeter settings region - AIP flight planning - AIP general rules for flight procedure and GET MET. They are extremely helpful and make good reading in the bath or the park.