PDA

View Full Version : Pilot tests

justjoshing
1st Jul 2007, 16:18
Are the any oline pilot phycometric tests online, i have been looking for some kind of test online to see if i have what it takes to be a pilot.I have dome loads of iq tests,even mensa, but this does not really help me.

Any help would be grate.

beamer
1st Jul 2007, 16:24
I'd try a course in spelling as a first step !

K.Whyjelly
1st Jul 2007, 16:37
A shpelling und grammer course would be your first goal methinks! :hmm:

justjoshing
1st Jul 2007, 16:38
thats just fast keyboard typing,im sure everyone does it.

one four sick
1st Jul 2007, 16:44
Meticulous rigidity in accuracy!

justjoshing
1st Jul 2007, 16:47
does anyone know of any online tests?

AltFlaps
1st Jul 2007, 17:15
Josh,

The first 3 times I saw your post, I thought "ah - that could have been me 15 years ago ..."

But AGAIN, you have posted in an inappropriate place on the bulletin board - not that's any big deal, but the professionals whose opinion you seek have remarked on this in several of your previous threads. You were also lambasted by several PPrune members at the time for your spelling and grammar.

One of the key factors in any pilot assessment is the ability to show steady improvement across a range of different tests. Thus far, you appear to have learned nothing, nor taken any heed of the professionals from whom you seek to extract some support.

Personally (and please listen carefully here - I work for one of your potential future employers), I wouldn't even entertain you for a position. You have completely failed to learn anything across at least two bulletin board systems and at least 8 postings, regardless of the advise given to you ...

Please don't dismiss me as a crank. I am a line captain flying a Boeing for 4 sectors a day throughout Europe - and without even meeting you, I already know that I wouldn't want to sit in a small bullet proof box with a kid who doesn't listen !

Change your style - cross the T's and dot the I's, or you have no chance of getting through any assessment ...

justjoshing
1st Jul 2007, 17:24
ok sorry,i was just wondering if there where any online tests.If have learnt alot from everypost i have posted.

AltFlaps
1st Jul 2007, 17:39
But Josh, even the reply you just posted has no capital letters, no spaces after punctuation marks, and more spelling mistakes ...

YOU JUST DONT LISTEN !!!!!

I for one, will no longer be replying to any of your posts, until you sort out your basic English language skills.

topjetboy
1st Jul 2007, 17:41
Although I agree with some of the earlier sage postings, I myself am more wisdomous and tolerant. Try searching 'psychometric tests for pilots' in google. There are tests one can buy and ones for free. GAPAN also sell a good course. If your idea is to try and practice you might want to think twice, most people are adamant that one can't get better at these tests by practice (as an earlier post said, they look for improvement, not immediate greatness).
My advice is to concentrate more on your C.V, join the cadets, get a PPL and your A-levels, do DofE and travel, you're more likely to get rejected for being found wanting in depth and breadth of experience than in aptitude.

Fly380
1st Jul 2007, 17:52
thats just fast keyboard typing,im sure everyone does it.

Hopefully not on the FMS.:=

Halfwayback
1st Jul 2007, 18:14
Justjoshing

Could I respectfully suggest that you put such posts and queries in the Wannabee forum where there are people just like yourself to discuss such matters and Moderators to help?

Ta.

HWB

justjoshing
1st Jul 2007, 18:26
Thanks for your advice Topjetboy, i am actually so happy to find someone decent engouth to give me a reply to the question i actually asked, i will try searching google for some phycometric tests
To all the people that critizized my spelling, i hope this pleases you, i mean is this to your satisfaction, are you ok with this.I will now take every effort to ensure my spelling and grammar is completely correct.

Ps.
Go **** yourself altflaps.

Blinkz
1st Jul 2007, 18:32
my god justjoshing, you just don't get it do you :ugh: If I were you make 100% sure you have a back up plan in case flying doesn't work out for you. Am pretty sure you're going to need it........:sad:

Anti-ice
1st Jul 2007, 18:33
Obviously so grateful for your earlier 7 paragraphs altflaps :rolleyes:
Just loving some of the new generation , who quite frankly, don't seem at all 'bovvered. :ugh:
Think psychometric testing maybe least on your priorities.
If you do have spelling difficulty then i am sorry, you can work that out..some people haven't been fair, but i think the criticism was mean't as constructive,not detrimental.

merlinxx
1st Jul 2007, 18:41
Go and get yourself some basic 1st grade English lessons, and let us all in the industry we love, hope the heck we never come across you in are working life.

justjoshing
1st Jul 2007, 18:51
I can spell for ***** sake.Im just typing on a forum,its only a minor few who keep giving me the criticism.And what do you meen i will probally need my back up plan, i think i have as good a chance as anyone else.Im in top set for maths and set 3 for science, and im a member of Mensa so i think i have an ok chance at being a pilot.Im fed up with all this crap about, oh you wouldnt make a good pilot, or you spelt that word wrong,and there goes your deams of bieng an airline pilot. BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH.

Thats what is sounds like.Thanks to the people that have actually helped me, but to the idiots who keep giving me criticism, i honestly dont care what you say or what rubbish you come out with,i just think you should take youre stupid chimp brains back to the zoo.

kms901
1st Jul 2007, 19:04
Josh, you are obviously a great team player. Have fun in a multi crew environment.

Have you done any flying at all ?

AlexEvans
1st Jul 2007, 19:04
<quote>Go and get yourself some basic 1st grade English lessons, and let us all in the industry we love, hope the heck we never come across you in are working life.</quote>

LOL - I hope that was on purpose!

Perhaps someone can teach me how to quote.

Topslide6
1st Jul 2007, 19:10
I can spell for ***** sake.Im just typing on a forum,its only a minor few who keep giving me the criticism.And what do you meen i will probally need my back up plan, i think i have as good a chance as anyone else.Im in top set for maths and set 3 for science, and im a member of Mensa so i think i have an ok chance at being a pilot.Im fed up with all this crap about, oh you wouldnt make a good pilot, or you spelt that word wrong,and there goes your deams of bieng an airline pilot. BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH.
Thats what is sounds like.Thanks to the people that have actually helped me, but to the idiots who keep giving me criticism, i honestly dont care what you say or what rubbish you come out with,i just think you should take youre stupid chimp brains back to the zoo.

You Sir, are a to$$er. Completely clueless!! :rolleyes: Don't worry though, I suspect you'll be a perfect candidate for a degree from Derby 'university' in Blair/Brown's modern Britain. :ugh:

scruggs
1st Jul 2007, 19:13
Jesus Christ mate, please heed the advice and suggestions that you’ve received in this thread thus far. We all know this is a forum, but there’s just no excuse for keyboard laziness. It may be easier for you to type, but it's a pain in the arse to decipher. Why not type your post in Word or something similar, spell and grammar check it, and then simply copy/paste into the post-box.

As for advice on psychometric testing advice, I reckon your best chance would be, as topjetboy suggested, the GAPAN testing or something akin. Also try doing a series of searches on the wannabe forums as well as Google, I’m sure you’ll turn up what you’re after.

Good luck with the career.

S.

Topslide6
1st Jul 2007, 19:16
Why not type your post in Word or something similar, spell and grammar check it, and then simply copy/paste into the post-box.

My God, doesn't the thought that he so obviously has to do this depress you. It does me!! :oh:

AltFlaps
1st Jul 2007, 19:16
topjetboy,

I understand where you're coming from, but 'Give the lad a break' will really not help his cause. Now, instead of listening, he's found someone who will help him out regardless of his 'standards'.

Case in Point
-------------
Three days ago, a '300 hour total' First Officer, with '2 days on the line' read the newspaper all the way from Malaga to Birmingham. He was very suprised when we were given descent by London, considering there was no brief, PA or Wx. None of the days paperwork had been completed ...

At 8 miles on the ILS, he called "Gear down dude", and flew a barely passable approach with a rather heavy landing.

Even with me helping, it took forever to complete the voyage report, and I had to spell the words 'discretion', 'operations' and 'continuing' for him.

This industry is going down the pan rapidly, lets try and encourage the next generation to at least pretend they've had an eduction :ugh:

PS - josh - you better never end up on my flight deck !

Topslide6
1st Jul 2007, 19:21
I sound like an old man, but it's not just the industry. The whole country's well on it's way!! :eek:

Flying Farmer
1st Jul 2007, 21:18
Alt Flaps who the hell let that kid through line training, the arrogance of the chap actually frightens me.

Moving on to this justjoshing fellow, **** that he might be :E Unfortunately I think he's just a product of the current education system or a troll. At least in my day Latin was still on the agenda! nope not that long ago. It certainly helped with the written word.

Justjoshing I concur with most of the other posters, go get yourself some rudimentary English lessons old chap, your written skills are ****e!!

Oh and this was typed without a spell check matey so possibly a mistake here and there.

Blinkz
1st Jul 2007, 21:31
Whilst I agree spelling is important, I find his whole attitude far more of a concern. His last post clearly shows that he really doesn't take criticism well, something which is pretty important in the aviation world!

Josh, you need to learn to calm down and have more level heard on your shoulders. Going off on one and insulting everyone really isn't going to get you very far in life. I agree with what has been said, I think GAPAN is probably your best bet for some aptitude tests.

And for the record all that stuff you mentioned, the top set maths and science as well as mensa. None of that is important. These days flying is all about people and knowing how to work with them. Work on your CRM skills :ok:

scruggs
1st Jul 2007, 22:18
AltFlaps - did you pull him up on his attitude? Or the fact he didn't do any of the things you mentioned (brief, PA, Wx, paper work)? I'm not a pilot (yet), just an aspiring wannabe, but as a Captain I would have thought you'd be perfectly within your right to raise any issues you have. Is this not the case?

I think the fact he called you "dude" shows complete and utter disrespect, especially from someone relatively new to the job. Which begs the question, how did he get through the recruitment process :confused:

S.

AltFlaps
2nd Jul 2007, 17:26
scruggs,

Sometimes the only way to get these 'individuals' to learn anything, is to 'allow' them to dig a big hole for themselves. Only then can they see how deep it gets (from the inside) !!

Our friend above is a good example ... :bored:

topjetboy
2nd Jul 2007, 19:22
I'm honestly still laughing at 'Gear down dude'!
I suppose I'm lucky to be stuck in the RHS for a few years yet so I avoid some of the fools coming through training, although, there are a few fools with four bars, which is more dangerous. That's not a surreptitious dig at Alt or anyone else, just a passing comment.

Canuck15
2nd Jul 2007, 19:51
why dont you just google for the tests . there are so many available on line. and for the guy that flies 4 sectors , did you ever think maybe no one wants sit on your right .......thnik about it .....

WildDart
2nd Jul 2007, 20:03
I do agree on your comment that you posted saying all the criticism you have gotten and that it is pointless and out of order.

I think criticising someone for "typing errors" obsessively is below the belt! quite a few of my friends are very intelligent and well spoken however often make typing errors and won't go out their way to correct them all. But in your case some of the grammar was truly out of place. Best bet is to just prove read what you have written!

Anyway for the actual topic that is meant to be discussed and not the teasing comments about his spelling and grammar. A very good place for psychometric and attitude testing is the following website

http://www.kent.ac.uk/careers/psychotests.htm (http://www.kent.ac.uk/careers/psychotests.htm)

In addition to this, don't take the words of some of these people to heart, instead have the motivation and determination to follow through an aviation career if you’re deadly serious about!

Regards, Nathan

P.S the questions on the website can be quite difficult and daunting at first, but stick with it and you'll improve. Moreover try getting some books of Amazon as I have done and my scores have nearly doubled to what they were a couple years back!

tom775257
5th Jul 2007, 23:30
"Gear down dude." Absolute genius, how very amusing! I'll try that one tomorrow and see what the skipper says.

"OK duder, we'll nail it into the 'row, autoland, I can't be arsed. Autobrake, hmmm, missed approach, sh*t, it's in the database. Right, I'm off for a piss, u get the ATIS and shove it into perf mate? brb, lol!!"

Nardi Riviera
6th Jul 2007, 13:07
Interesting read. :ugh:

Believe "elvis" left the building shortly after things got too "complicated"...
After all, somebody gave him the useful advice of using Google. Mensa???

It's not about "a few" spelling errors - it's about ATTITUDE.
And stamina. And the effort/will to do things right. And patience.
And cockpit environment (multicrew) compatibility. And... nevermind.

Do the "next generation" believe that flying airlines is like playing with FlightSim?
Merely THINKING that this may be the future makes me shudder. :{

PA38-Pilot
10th Jul 2007, 20:10
My God, doesn't the thought that he so obviously has to do this depress you. It does me!!

Hey, I did that a few years ago, to practice my spelling! :} (Non-native English)

Topslide6
11th Jul 2007, 16:28
Yeah, but he IS English :rolleyes: