View Full Version : Prestwick FR7845 25th June

sitigeltfel
1st Jul 2007, 15:56
I was up the back in Ryanair FR7845 into Prestwick from Marseille on Monday 25th June around 1110 local time when the captain did a go around from short finals.
After getting himself sorted out he came on the cabin speakers and told us there was an "Air Traffic" problem.

It may be cynical old me, but could the strong crosswind have had anything to do with it?

Any Prestwick controllers with the "real" story out there?

adverse-bump
1st Jul 2007, 17:15
if that was the case they would have told you. back to the spotters forum old chap.

sitigeltfel
1st Jul 2007, 17:25
If you took the time to read the post you would have realised that I was flying as pax that day. In a previous (younger) life I have 2,200hrs on fast jets. Since when did the crew at the pointy end begin telling their salary payers the whole story!

Oh, and before you are put to bed tonight, ask your mum to show you how to type upper case letters.

ayrprox
1st Jul 2007, 22:36
Leftlegitis,
Shhhhhhhhh! if you tell anybody this, i'll deny it, but controllers aren't perfect, we sometimes cock it up and have occasional errors in judgement or, as i prefer to think, the gods gang up against us:}
Now in this case it may well be that the aircraft ahead didn't vacate as quickly as expected and it was too tight a gap(don't know, wasn't there.This is just one possible reason), so it was like you were told.

..... or there could have been a nasty crosswind:E

Number Six
3rd Jul 2007, 18:51
sitigeltfel
I think your skipper was guilty of the usual ploy - "if in doubt, blame Air Traffic".
There was a 10 knot crosswind from the NE when you landed on 13, not much for a 737-800 I guess, & the pilot was heard telling ATC he went around due to a "cockpit mistake" , whatever that means !
From a personal perspective, I reckon go-arounds are not all that rare these days - the 800's seem to be much less forgiving than the 200s
:hmm:

NorthSouth
3rd Jul 2007, 19:01
cockpit mistakeThat's his promotion up the spout then
NS

ATCO Fred
4th Jul 2007, 13:34
I bloody hate it when pilots blame us for their mistakes.

Many moons ago at an RAF Base in Germany we had the British World BAC 1-11 inbound. Called visual from 6 miles north and did a visual recovery. Aircraft turned finals, lined up slightly north of the runway, faffed in the vicinity of the threshold, manoeuvred left then right and landed 1/3 of the way down the runway. Heavy braking followed with the aircraft stopping (just) at the overun threshold and calling hot brakes.:{

Several days later SATCO gets hauled into Stn Cdrs office for bollocking. Transpires the Captain on the aircraft made a tannoy after landing appologising for the sloppy approach because 'ATC forgot we were not a fighter and vectored us in too tightly'. A couple of engineers from the other air base just to north were so convinced they were going to die they wrote a formal letter of complaint to the Stn Cdr.:uhoh:

Unfortunaely for the Capt concerned he had telephoned the ATC Supervisor after landing to appologise for the shambolick approch - he was a training Capt and the trainee pilot made a complete hash of the approach. A copy of the tape was made together with a transcript and ****ty letter sent to Operations Director at said airline.:O

Morale of this story - If you are big enough and skillful enough to fly you are big enough to admit when you make a mistake - to err is to human and no-one is perfect all of the time.