PDA

View Full Version : transiting Heathrow

mr.k
1st Jul 2007, 00:53
I'm a pilot working in the USA. I will be traveling to Europe as a passenger and transiting through LHR. Does anybody know if I can take more than one carry on bag as well as liquid/gel toiletries through security at LHR? I understand that regular pax passing through LHR are normally restricted to one piece of carry on. I'm not going to be in uniform although I will have it with me along with my US crew ID. Would it help to be in uniform at LHR security even though I am on vacation and my company doesn't fly there? I'd really like to avoid the hassle of having to check in a bag.
Thanks much.

secret agent 86
1st Jul 2007, 01:18
Only one piece allowed. Only exception is if you have a musical intstrument and that doesn't count as one. As far as toiletries etc....same 100ml rule applies.

BEagle
1st Jul 2007, 07:05
If you avoid transiting through the UK and instead choose somewhere less paranoid, you will be able to take more carry on luggage onto your onward flight.

Otherwise, it's one regular size carry-on bag only, with the 100ml restriction.

Travelling in uniform or with a cew ID will not make any difference, regrettably.

HEATHROW DIRECTOR
1st Jul 2007, 07:39
My wife and I flew to Los Angeles in March and whilst we obeyed the instructions there were others who didn't. They seemed to be very fussy about liquids but people were taking 2 and even 3 pieces of baggage on board with no problems. One lady had two cabin bags, a handbag and a plastic carrier bag!!!

llondel
1st Jul 2007, 07:54
One lady had two cabin bags, a handbag and a plastic carrier bag!!!

The carrier bag was probably full of duty-free, that seems to be largely ignored by anyone counting bags. It's possible that at some point the handbag was inside one of the other bags, but that does still leave two bags to get past the security checkpoint.

Dave Gittins
1st Jul 2007, 21:47
Last time I went to Denver - in Feb - I had a carry on bag that was within the dimensions that BA & BAA say is allowable but it (very marginally) wouldn't fit the gauging box at security and I had to check it in (BA keep a little check-in desk after security for just that reason). Caused no end of problems taking cameras, GPS, ICOM, AIM 2007 etc and other stuff out of "cabin bag" and I ended up carrying 2 smaller bags.

What made me LIVID was that there were bigger cases than the one I had had to check in on sale in the duty free shops !!!!

Am off there again in 2 weeks and will have to suffer only taking a smaller bag.