View Full Version : Teesside airspace

carbheathot
28th Jun 2007, 13:31
A question for the Air Traffic professionals:
In todays newspaper, the MD of Durham T.V. airport, in response to a critical T.V news item re ATCO staffing levels, said that during the times that the ATC unit was out of commission, the airspace around TD reverted to "open airspace" and would therefore be treated as uncontrolled airspace.I took this to mean that the Zone was temporarily "removed from the map" and became functional again when the ATC unit returned to duty.
Is this strictly correct? and what happens to an aircraft which then enters the zone woithout reporting to a controller, and finds itself being chased out by the ATCO returning to duty?

2 sheds
28th Jun 2007, 15:31
Carbheat

Try consulting the AIP - available online. Good research for a PPL !

niknak
29th Jun 2007, 00:11
2 Sheds, extremely condescending reply from a :mad:wit to a perfectly reasonable request for information. :rolleyes:

Carbheathot:
If no ATC service is being provided, then the ATZ is no longer active but I'm not sure about the surrounding Class D airspace as that is linked to both advisory irways and the CTA.
Perhaps a Mackam would provide the precise detail..

Hooligan Bill
29th Jun 2007, 06:10
Perhaps a Mackam would provide the precise detail..

Describing Teessiders using the M word is probably not the best way of ingratiating ones self with the natives:)

2 sheds
29th Jun 2007, 07:51
Niknak...you take offence - and are offensive - too readily. Having been directed to the availability of the AIP online, for someone registered as a PPL holder it would be a useful exercise to research the query from the authoritative source rather than rely on a half-baked response such as yours!

Carbheat...I trust no offence taken. Good luck with the research.

2 s

ATCO Fred
29th Jun 2007, 08:19
1 good question from someone who could research the answer but opted to ask for the views from the 'so called' experts.
1 good answer and 3 sets of 'hand bag' swirling posts!
No wonder, as a specialization, our reputation is not always as good as it should be!
Fred!

carbheathot
29th Jun 2007, 14:16
Hooligan Bill
Are you aware of the first rule of flying> Flush over Sunderland
Seriously I didn't want to start a fight here.It seemed curious to me that MME could post a NOTAM at short notice and temporarily de-activate an ATZ. I have looked at the AIP but its not designed to be particularly user friendly is it?
My current understanding is that if the Airspace is NOT under ATCO control, i.e.there are insufficient Controllers to provide a service then it becomes uncontrolled airspace and is subject to the usual free for all . Which I contend, on reflection, is not particularly useful to Mr Globespan who will probably be circling the fishing grounds over Whitby wondering where to offload the cattle.
It is just one more sad episode in the demise of what was once a canny little airport, for PPLs and Thompson customers alike!

Hooligan Bill
29th Jun 2007, 18:29
Seriously I didn't want to start a fight here.It seemed curious to me that MME could post a NOTAM at short notice and temporarily de-activate an ATZ. I have looked at the AIP but its not designed to be particularly user friendly is it?
My current understanding is that if the Airspace is NOT under ATCO control, i.e.there are insufficient Controllers to provide a service then it becomes uncontrolled airspace and is subject to the usual free for all . Which I contend, on reflection, is not particularly useful to Mr Globespan who will probably be circling the fishing grounds over Whitby wondering where to offload the cattle.
It is just one more sad episode in the demise of what was once a canny little airport, for PPLs and Thompson customers alike!

The reference you require is the En-Route Data section Page ENR 1-4-5 which gives the Airspace notifications.

You are right, outside the notified hours (which can be changed by NOTAM) the airspace reverts to Class G. With any luck Manchester and London Control will be made aware of any closure and any inbound aircraft that will be affected can be held in controlled airspace should they wish to do so.

As for the pilot who enters the zone when it is deactivated and is there when it is reactivated that is just one of those things that happens when a unit is non H24. I would however suggested that it would be good airmanship to monitor the appropriate frequency when flying in this type of airspace as short notice activations can happen to allow emergency flights.

Maude Charlee
2nd Jul 2007, 11:08
Are you sure the airspace is closed and not just getting nicked? MME is perilously close to Middlesbrough after all.

Them Smoggies will nick anything.

:}