PDA

View Full Version : New York airfields

Re-Heat
27th Jun 2007, 18:59
I apologise if there is another thread on this that I have not found, however, does anyone know of any airfield in the vicinity of New York City, which they would recommend for private flying, or alternatively, could you recommend interesting areas to fly to in NY/Connecticut/RI/Mass?

Already a holder of the required FAA certificate.

eyeinthesky
27th Jun 2007, 19:52
10 years ago there was an outfit called Century Air at Morristown which is about 40 mins drive from NYC. I hired singles and twins from them with no problem (just a check ride in each). Caldwell was another field. There was also miilion air at Teterboro which is the closest to NYC. Don't know whether the companies are still there, but the airfields are.

fernytickles
28th Jun 2007, 04:02
Try www.airnav.com - it probably has almost all the airport info you need. As I'm sure you can imagine, KTEB is not cheap. Its chockablock full of corporate aircraft and the prices reflect that. Caldwell is busy, but nice.
If you can, try to visit Old Rhinebeck - http://www.oldrhinebeck.org/ As the schedule says, they have an airshow every Saturday & Sunday in the summer. I've been to one and it was great fun, as well as fascinating. Definitely worth visiting. I don't think you can fly in tho'. We stopped at an airport about 45 mins drive away, but I'm sorry to say, I can't remember the name of it. If you can wait, I'll dig in my logbook and check.

You could also check for EAA chapters and general fly-ins in that area - www.eaa.org. Just google the area along with fly-ins and if that Department of Transport is like our local one, they'll have a whole page on them.

pumper_bob
28th Jun 2007, 10:33
Go to Teeterborough and buy a sectional chart. Then just turn up at any one of the litterally hundreds of fields that are near to NY. I was over there with the wife and she wanted a hotel on the beach:rolleyes: The chap in the services said the only beach hotel was at Madison CT> So off we whent. The nearest field to the hotel was Griswold, but we were told he would chase off any unwanted visitors with a shotgun:eek: So we whent to Chester Airport instead,(KSNC) and a chap called Bruce who does the air taxi work in a Cheyanne couldnt have been more helpfull. I flew out of there for two weeks and he said pay when your going home!!
I would be surprised if you had trouble at most fields in the states, they have such a different attitude to flying then you are probably used to.
A flight down the hudson to Verazano bridge via the Statue of Libertyy just has to be in your log book.
Safe flying PB.

Just found this link: http://www.airnav.com/airport/KSNC
Or just enter 06412 into the search bar on google earth and it will take you straight there!(well almost, its about 2 miles S.W of that actual point.

tmmorris
28th Jun 2007, 18:13
I can recommend Arrow Aviation at Danbury - mid-Connecticut. Might be too far. It was one of their ac which was stolen by a couple of teenagers and landed at Westchester (the latter is too close to NY to be good value...)

Or try somewhere on Long Island?

Tim

20driver
28th Jun 2007, 18:34
Air Nav is the place to check. It lists the flight schools, FBO's etc. The best part is the comments sections that mentions places to eat etc

Most places want a check out, 45 minutes to 1.5 hours. Contacting them ahead will make it go faster. Bring your log book. Currently a late model 172 SP is around $115 wet.

Block Island is always a nice day trip, as is Montauk. The Hudson River corridor is great. Get the New York Terminal chart it gives the details.

Ocean City New Jersey, park and walk to the beach. (Also Ocen City MD)

A great spot is Blairstown NJ. Good cafe, gliders and a very pleasant rail trail running along side the strip.

Andover is nice to tune up your technique, 2000 ft with a lake at each end.

Cape May New Jersey is kind of quaint if you do quaint. Some very good restaurants.

Have fun

20driver

Re-Heat
29th Jun 2007, 11:49
All good stuff, thanks