PDA

View Full Version : PPL(A) to PPL H? and trail lesson?

Kengineer-130
27th Jun 2007, 17:58
Hi guys, I don't know why, but I keep getting strange ideas to try a helicopter , (even though they are inherently unsafe as the wing travels faster than the fuselage!! :{ ) :}, I already have a PPL (A) , and have just over 75 hours. \if I want to do my PPL(H), how much previous flight time can I use as credit, and how much is it going to cost roughly?

I take it there will be a few more exams as well, A/C heli general and Flight performance and planning, anything else?

Also, can anyone reccomend a good place for time to cash value for a helicopter trial lesson please, in the West Midlands or Swindon area? :ok:
cheers :)

Whirlygig
27th Jun 2007, 18:38
In a nutshell, 6 hours I believe is the maximum time you can get credit for if you have a PPL(A). I think it's only the Principles of Flight exam at PPL that you would have to sit.

Cost? Depends on type but somewhere between £200 and £250 per hour but bear in mind you might not pass in 39 hours.

You could try FAST Helicopters at Thruxton, HeliAir at Wellesbourne or Sloanes at Sywell.

Cheers

Whirls

henrymonster
27th Jun 2007, 18:56
i learnt to fly at Rise helicopters at gloucestershire airport i dont know about your other questions price exemptions etc but they got me through and are very helpful.

helimutt
27th Jun 2007, 19:52
Having a fixed wing ppl will give you a bit more confidence in the air and the initial fears of being 'solo' won't be the same second time around. You would probably manage the ppl(h) in minimum hours, ie 10% of your fixed wing hours up to 6 hours max. You could go to many places for a trial lesson but it depends exactly where you are. As you probably already know, regular flying will help minimise the hours required to get to test standard.

If you use a rough guide of doing it in the usual minimum of 45hrs then 45 x £250 + costs =£12k. (approx) Some places will be cheaper. Cost to hire an a/c after licence issue is more expensive than fixed wing.

Good luck if you do take it up. Best way to spend money I think.:ok:

Bladecrack
27th Jun 2007, 20:26
The helicopter specific PPL(H) exams you will need to do are:

1. Pinciples of Flight & Aircraft General (H)
2. Flight Planning and Performance (H)

You are credited 10% of your cross country flight time,up to a maximum of 6 hours towards a PPL(H).

Good Luck, :ok:

BC.

The Nr Fairy
28th Jun 2007, 07:07
Kemble is closer than Thruxton to the West Midlands - Cotswold Helicopters is based there, Astra operate from there when they're not at Bristol.

Bravo73
28th Jun 2007, 07:17
NrF,

Check your PMs. Sent you one a few days ago... :ok:

ukhelipilot22
28th Jun 2007, 07:25
There is Tiger Helicopters in Herefordshire, I have done some training with them and found them to be very good.

quichemech
28th Jun 2007, 12:19
Tiger will also probably give you the best deal on hours if you decide to do it.

Ioan
28th Jun 2007, 12:56
I can also recommend Tiger Helicopters at Shobdon - did both my PPL and CPL there (and no I don't work for them). http://www.tigerhelicopters.co.uk/ if you want their contact details - they're one of the cheapest (if not the cheapest) as well.
Was in the same boat myself; relatively low hour PPL(A) when I converted. The reduced hours and additional exams have already been stated above. The real difference the A makes is that I think you're far more likely to be able to mass in minimum hours. Assuming you don't have a problem with the co-ordination and everything, you're presumably reasonably comfortable operating in an aerial environment, you'll spend more time concentrating on flying rather than enjoying the scenery out the window, and your nav and comms are probably OK.
Good luck!