PDA

View Full Version : BRISTOL - 4

Pages : 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13

MerchantVenturer
17th Apr 2008, 20:14
bristolflyer,

Can you clear up something?

According to a long-standing unofficial BRS website that has often seemed well-informed in the past the plan is to build holding lounges beneath the proposed walkway.

If that is the case one might think that the airport will have a fight on its hands to get it through as permitted development as holding lounges (even remote ones) might easily be construed as an extension of the terminal building floor area.

As far as I can ascertain it is Part 18 of the Town and Country Planning (General Permitted Development) Order of 1995 that allows certain things to be done as permitted development without the need for planning permission. Such developments must be on operational land and be connected with the provision of services or facilities at the airport but such matters as a runway extension, new terminal or extension of an existing terminal (beyond the permitted percentage increase in size) fall outside the scope of the Order.

Since the terminal was built the check-in and baggage reclaim areas within the terminal have been extended by the maximum 15% of floor area allowed by the above Order as permitted development.

According to one local councillor, the local authority is taking legal advice on the situation and no doubt BRS’s planning and legal advisers are content with their client’s proposal. It does seem therefore that in the end the lawyers will make money and a delay will ensue. I suppose it might be looked upon as a warm-up for the major planning battles ahead.

bristolflyer
18th Apr 2008, 08:47
MV, You are correct that the airport was allowed to expand the terminal by up to 15% of the original floorspace without planning permission. They have used this quota with the check-in extension and the extra baggage reclaim area. The airport must show that the walkway is an operational structure, built on operational land and does not increase capacity. An operational structure is exactly what it says, it aids one of the basic functions of the airport of getting passengers from point A to point B. The terminal is not an operational structure because it contains many other areas, retail for example, superfluous to the airport's primary aim of getting passengers and baggage from drop-off to the plane. The current walkway was constructed as an operational structure. In order to achieve the aim of construction without planning it will have to be a simple walkway with nothing inside it. The plan is to have holding areas at each stand at ground level. The passengers would walk out of the terminal on the mezzanine level from the new walkway between Burger King and the rest of the terminal. They would continue to the stand when they would drop down via stairs and lift to ground level. At this point there will be a holding area. The whole building will not be able to have seating, save for a handful for disabled passengers, it cannot have any immigration control, no retail outlets (even vending machines). It will be a transit shed getting passengers from A to B without the need for a bus. Passengers will be called forward to their departure gate only when the plane is ready for boarding and not before. They will not be able to go to the gate to wait as one does at Heathrow. The walkway will simply remove the queues from between the seats in the main departure lounge. There cannot be seating areas in the holding areas because this will increase capacity. One suspects there will be a series of movable barriers such as is found in the immigration hall to control the flow of passengers in the holding area as they queue to board. If the design is more comprehensive than a very basic walkway with holding areas where passengers stand it will need planning because it will fall outside the scope of Permitted Development. I agree that this is going to be the opening skirmish of a long planning road.

WATABENCH
19th Apr 2008, 10:10
Thomson holidays now featuring BRS-SFB :ok:
No CWL longhaul with them for summer 09 either...good news for BRS

MerchantVenturer
19th Apr 2008, 13:11
The airport reached a milestone in March with over 6 million passengers handled in a 12-month period for the first time.

CAA provisional stats show the figure as 6,038,763, an increase of 5.7% over the same period last year. The passenger increase was achieved with 10% fewer flights in the 12 months in question.

As for March, the airport saw over 506,000 passengers, up 12% on March 2007.

Regarding the proposed expansion of the airport, the Bristol Evening Post carried a story today concerning a young man who has started a web site in support of expansion. His name is the same as the username of an occasional poster to this thread. Don't know if it is the same person. Perhaps he will let us know if it is.

Good luck to his venture, anyway. Local newspaper and television polls in Bristol in the past have shown a significant majority of 'ordinary people' (as opposed to the publicity-hungry activists who are anti airport) to be in favour of expansion - around 70%. It will be useful to have a focus to counteract the views of the SBAE and its fellow travellers.

Many thanks, bristolflyer.

Your description does make the walkway sound much less a terminal extension than the way it was described in the web site I mentioned. No doubt there will still be much argument between the ‘opposing sides’ about its planning status though.

Vasto1M
19th Apr 2008, 13:59
How does the ‘forward coaching lounge’ fit in as it has seats or did it fall within the 15% they could expand by?

ATCO1987
19th Apr 2008, 14:27
The FCL was introduced as temporary I think, maybe that plays a part?

WATABENCH
19th Apr 2008, 14:33
Thomas Cook/Airtours showing a SSH fligh with airline KBR, Is this an Egyptian airline?

ATCO1987
19th Apr 2008, 14:36
KBR is Koral Blue Airlines of Egypt.

Bristol based Taffy
19th Apr 2008, 15:22
Checked out their web page....A320 :*

Thought we'd be in for something interesting.(Tu-154 anyone??):rolleyes:

With reference to MV's comment on expansion at the airport and the web site in support of expansion there is also one on 'facebook'.

Totally agree with comments that the vast majority of 'normal' Bristolians would support expansion, but as usual the numpties and vocal NIMBYs get all the attention.

Shame we could get all of those against the expansion to agree to limit their future travel to horse and cart. :E

As an aside can anyone explain why Brussels Airlines have cancelled the flights on 2nd May??

I'm now having to take a trip up the M5 to catch flight!!!:ugh:

WATABENCH
19th Apr 2008, 16:42
Koral Blue hey....hmmmm dont think i'll be booking with Thomas Cook to Sharm this year then
Stick to the trusty FCA 757's or the XLA 737 me thinks, still at least it's something new for the spotters :\

danielhobbs
19th Apr 2008, 16:50
Regarding the proposed expansion of the airport, the Bristol Evening Post carried a story today concerning a young man who has started a web site in support of expansion. His name is the same as the username of an occasional poster to this thread. Don't know if it is the same person. Perhaps he will let us know if it is.

Yes. Im glad that people are reading the article with interest.

The group was originally started about a year ago with just basic informational website called Bristol Spotting, but then moved on to BISON (Bristol International Supporters Group Online). Me and Simon Luckin are now running the group, working with the airport and trying to provide a positive outlook on the airport, for people who support it and also for the spotters.

Discussion board and news are available on the website, and to show our support for the airport we have chartered an aircraft from Air Southwest in August for an hours pleasure flight above the South West.

We want as many people to book as possible.

Im glad that the group and the article have gone down well, just wait for a few comments now from SBAE.

Goldilocks95
20th Apr 2008, 10:27
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/pages/live/articles/columnists/mailonsunday.html?in_article_id=560726&in_page_id=1791&in_author_id=502

Not happy with that!!! 1 hour 40 minutesin Ezy queu-yes hight of summer, but not at the moment-in fact 1 day this week-first wave you were only waiting for 5 minutes.

WATABENCH
20th Apr 2008, 10:36
Whinging cow....but i think the 1hr 40 mins was in Paris the way i'm reading it!

Bristol_Traveller
20th Apr 2008, 10:42
I think the Daily Mail's correspondent was referring to her return journey, from the cowshed at CDG laughably known as Terminal 3. 1hr40 waiting there seems about right. The one and only time that I have been daft enough to take EZY to CDG (and this was in the "no-AF" period), I endured a painfully slow queue in 30C heat, during which time it became that most of the delay was caused by passengers flying to Morocco who were trying to take every personal possesion with them, personally.

Maybe she should pay that little bit extra, and fly with AF?

LCCs - you get what you pay for. (And with Ryanair, I suspect you occasionally come away with an added sense of despair at the world, humanity and the failure of the open-market economic model).

(I did also note that she quoted the checkin lady as saying "No, you hev to pay over there," which suggests a mimicing of an Eastern European accent. I'm sure the Daily Mail or its journalists have no preconceived view of immigrant workers).

en2r
20th Apr 2008, 22:01
the cowshed at CDG laughably known as Terminal 3
Easyjet no longer use Terminal 3. They use the much nicer Terminal 2B instead.

Bristol_Traveller
20th Apr 2008, 22:10
Easyjet no longer use Terminal 3. They use the much nicer Terminal 2B instead.

Although at CDG, these things are relative. To a certain extent, the terminal is one thing. The "LCC" process is another point of desperation and potential for cattle-herd treatment.

But, and I stress this, you pays your money and takes your choice. What annoys me is when people choose to fly LCCs, then moan about it. If you want to be treated with more perks and finesse, then pay for it. I won't fly FR (excepting BRS-DUB, because you have to be sensible sometimes) because I value myself, my time and my dignity above a 99p fare, and I find MO'Ls attitude abhorrent. But if someone else wants to, fair enough.

WATABENCH
21st Apr 2008, 17:44
www.uk-airport-news.info/bristol-airport-news-200408.htm

Good work Daniel :D

Bristol based Taffy
21st Apr 2008, 19:30
Fully agree.

Glad to see some positive spin. Long may it continue

:D:D:D

BRS_flyer
22nd Apr 2008, 19:35
But, and I stress this, you pays your money and takes your choice. What annoys me is when people choose to fly LCCs, then moan about it.

:D:D:D Couldn't agree more

Well done Daniel, excellent site!! :)

WATABENCH
22nd Apr 2008, 21:07
Not sure how many people picked up on this one, but LH offering NQY-DUS weekly from June, Seems a strange route choice by LH, thought it was a charter at first but is available to book on LH website, pity BRS couldnt of got this one as well as the FRA, be intresting to see how it goes for them.
Not sure what the german holiday market would make of Cornwall, I guess there must be something behind it, if it doesnt go well I wonder if they may consider moving service to BRS to try and capture the ex BA business market?

Bristol_Traveller
22nd Apr 2008, 21:25
LH do quite a lot of seasonal routes around Europe. Germans are voracious travellers, with the Euro -> Pound conversion rate as it is, having a holiday probably looks quite attractive.

I've been astounded by the number of Germans I've met who travel regularly to Dorset and Cornwall, primarily for hiking/walking holidays. I guess you just don't appreciate it as much when you're that much closer to it....

BRS-FRA is a workhorse feeder route, which needs to become a primary deliverer of traffic into the wider LH/*A network. DUS-NQY is a summer once-a-week only holiday route.

I'm on tomorrow's FRA at 06:40 (hello to any fellow travellers - I'll be in the lounge), and I suspect loads will be load. It's just going to take a dig in to get people off the KL AMS route, and to bring people away from LHR->Asia/Africa/Far East etc.

Pandy
23rd Apr 2008, 07:24
DXB/BRS/DXB over FRA still showing AED13580 (approx £1835) on the LH website for end May.

Bristol_Traveller
23rd Apr 2008, 08:21
DXB/BRS/DXB over FRA still showing AED13580 (approx £1835) on the LH website for end May.

I just put this itinerary in to www.lufthansa.com, and it popped out at £722. (In Economy)?

Sun 25 May 01:35 Dubai 06:05 Frankfurt LH631
Sun 25 May 09:05 Frankfurt 09:55 Bristol LH4960
Mon 2 Jun 06:30 Bristol 09:15 Frankfurt LH4965
Mon 2 Jun 14:50 Frankfurt 22:45 Dubai LH630

That's not the lowest available fare. The lowest should be QLNRAE, at £289 / AED2120 plus tax (so about £545 inc. taxes).

Try running it again. It might give creedence to my theory that LH.com caches fares and only calculates them after it's been hit a few times. Or maybe it's borked on the lufthansa regional website in DXB?

birdscarer
23rd Apr 2008, 09:00
It would seem that there is a lot of interest in Germany to visit Cornwall at the moment due to the sucess of the author, Rosamunde Pilcher, who sets her books there.

BRS_flyer
23rd Apr 2008, 14:39
Rosamunde Pilcher

I was going to post something to that effect as well but I was conviced it was Maeve Binchy (until I found out that most of her books are set in Ireland) so in the end I said nothing.

Thanks for clearing that up for me though :ok:

Bristol based Taffy
23rd Apr 2008, 16:38
Anyone have any idea why they've cancelled next Fridays flights to BRU - (that's the 2nd May) :eek:

Was due to fly out to BRU but got phone call from their call centre - now flying from Birmingham :rolleyes:

At least I've manage to get flights but it's a bit of a pain in the butt, trying to use BRS as much as possible only to get pushed up the M5!!

BbT

andy_smith89uk
23rd Apr 2008, 21:59
> Not sure how many people picked up on this one, but LH
> offering NQY-DUS weekly from June
>

Blimey, if LH are having problems convincing their far-flung international outposts to add Bristol to the various fares tables, how on earth will the Asians and Americans be told where li'll ol' Newquay is! :)

Charlie Roy
23rd Apr 2008, 22:17
Anyone have any idea why they've cancelled next Fridays flights to BRU - (that's the 2nd May) :eek:

Next week in Belgium Thursday May 1st is a public holiday. Last year the (then) government declared Friday May 2nd to also be a public holiday.
:D Woohoo, long weekend!

Then the new-ish government reversed the May 2nd decision :hmm: However it was too late for most companies who had already planned for the 1st and 2nd of May being public holidays.

In short, all businesses are closed next Thursday, and nearly all businesses are closed next Friday in Belgium.
Since BRU - BRS is a mainly business route, I imagine a significant lack of demand on the route for those dates.
In contrast, flights from Brussels to Spain, Italy, and anywhere kind of holiday-like are almost entirely sold out. I imagine the aircraft will be instead flying to Barcelona or the like.

Bristol_Traveller
23rd Apr 2008, 22:20
Blimey, if LH are having problems convincing their far-flung international outposts to add Bristol to the various fares tables, how on earth will the Asians and Americans be told where li'll ol' Newquay is!

I doubt they'll be adding NQY to their fare destinations and routings outside of, well, DUS. DUS isn't much of an LH hub, so I guess it's being run more as a point to point service.

There's a full set of fares loaded for DUS-NQY, but nothing apparently for anywhere else (FRA, INN, MUC, SIN), although you can usually combine the -FLYLH farebasis with other stuff, so you could piece it together yourself.

It's more concerning that BRS isn't showing up in some of the other parts of the LH empire, not least because that route will need to demonstrate its feeding into the long-haul network.

Incidentally, 31 people on this mornings LH4965 (06:40) to FRA. Not brilliant, but not as bad I had braced myself for. We're still only 4 weeks in, and I did spot a few Flying Blue tags on rucksacks.

bycrewlgw
24th Apr 2008, 06:30
http://www.uk-airport-news.info/bristol-airport-news-220408.htm

6 million and rising! :D

bravoromeosierra
24th Apr 2008, 09:44
Cornwall is VERY popular with the Germans in the summer, and they're always keen to spend their money down our end. As far as I can see, they're only allowing connections onto domestic German markets..which kind of makes sense as this is a purely German market thing.

DEP NEWQUAY AS LH4889
OPPED BY LH EUROWINGS EQUIP: CRJ200
DEP NQY: 12:05
ARR DUS: 14:40

DEP Dusseldorf AS LH4888
OPPED BY LH EUROWINGS EQUIP: CRJ200
DEP DUS: 10:55
ARR NQY: 11:35

Bristol based Taffy
24th Apr 2008, 16:21
Thanks for that info on why it's cancelled.

But you'd have thought they could have sorted it out sooner.:E

Although you say the flight is mainly business, why are the Birmingham flights not affected??

Sorry Brussels Airlines won't be using you again :ugh:

M4 and BMI in future.

BbT

Bristol_Traveller
24th Apr 2008, 18:56
M4 and BMI in future.

How about using the BD-codeshare from BRS? (The one that LH operates, via FRA...).

Bristol based Taffy
24th Apr 2008, 19:44
Yes I suppose that's a possibility - all depends on connection times.....and...PRICE :}

Can't understand why they're cancelling out of BRS both the Friday and Saturday, yet operating full service from Birmingham??

At least the call centre were helpful enough to get me and the rest of my 'party' on the flight from Birmingham.

WATABENCH
24th Apr 2008, 19:46
www.uk-airport-news.info/bristol-airport-news-230408.htm

OOOPS How amusing :}

Bristol_Traveller
24th Apr 2008, 22:56
Inbound on the FRA flight (LH4964) this evening. Pretty much full - 4 free seats in Y, 6 free in C. Almost a shame that it landed 50 minutes late (slow passengers boarding at FRA, then a missed slot), and right behind a Thompsonfly from somewhere Spanish. Being a very precious little traveller, there's nothing I hate more arriving right behind 250 odd-people who don't understand passport control.

easyJet Galley King
25th Apr 2008, 23:11
Is it just me, or is easyJet's service to Milan Malpensa somewhat struggling? It seems to barely hit the 100 mark and Im on it again tomorrow, and am taking 61 down and just 44 back.

Nice to see us take on an ex-Connect route (about time we took on Munich!), and maybe its just that time of year between easter and summer hols, but surely this cant be viable long term? Or atleast amend the timings to better cater the business market that BA had. Mind you, they did only have 50 seats available a day, and we have 156.

Still not complaining - nice easy day for me....:ok:

MerchantVenturer
26th Apr 2008, 12:25
It seems to be feeling the effect of the Ryanair service to Bergamo, their version of Milan, both routes being daily.

CAA figures show that in January the easyJet Malpensa carried 4395 (average load 76) and the FR Bergamo 4293 (74).

In February the figures were Malpensa 5865 (95) and Bergamo 5454 (88).

In March they were Malpensa 7173 (116) and Bergamo 6598 (106).

Overall that's a fair few travelling to the Milan area (nearly 14,000 in March) but whether it is enough to sustain two daily services year-round is obviously open to serious question.

easyJet Galley King
26th Apr 2008, 22:43
Thanks for that MV - FR's Bergamo is at a much more "agreeable" flight time, but I think you get a much better service on easy. :ok:

Ended up being 60 down, 42 back tonight. Very VERY boring flight.

Kellycsi
2nd May 2008, 19:32
MV do you have any idea how the load factors are going on the SAS flights to Oslo?

Morrihell
3rd May 2008, 01:08
Thanks for that MV - FR's Bergamo is at a much more "agreeable" flight time, but I think you get a much better service on easy.

Ended up being 60 down, 42 back tonight. Very VERY boring flight.

Milan was easier for people off on Holidays earlier in the year when it was flown by a Malpensa based aircraft as the timings allowed time to get to Milan and at least spend part of the day in the city if you were moving on elsewhere afterwards......

It's a shame to see poor loads returning back from Milan.....I've used Venice a few times to return as the flight times were convenient (and cheap) but would use Milan now for a return flight as the timings are much better

Where do you fly out to though? It'll have to be Bergamo.......escapes all those queues at the airport in the morning!

MH

Welshtraveller
3rd May 2008, 12:12
When are Easyjet's winter 08/09 flights on sale? Do you think they will fly to some new destinations this winter? If so, where? Thanks

MerchantVenturer
3rd May 2008, 20:14
MV do you have any idea how the load factors are going on the SAS flights to Oslo?

I don't at the moment. The first batch of CAA stats for April are due on 14th of this month. I'll have a look around that time, although for the last month or two BRS has not featured in the first batch so it might be a week or so after that.

For what's it worth the inaugural rotation on Sunday 30 March carried a total of 97 pax (that's the total for both ways) according to the CAA.

My wife and I have looked at going but the Tuesday and Thursday outbounds don't reach Oslo Airport until 2355 which means a very late arrival at a hotel. The Sunday is a bit better with a 2200 arrival which we would favour if we go.

When are Easyjet's winter 08/09 flights on sale? Do you think they will fly to some new destinations this winter? If so, where? Thanks

easyJet tend to release their summer and winter timetables in groups of bases but often over a one or two week period. The winter shedules should be out within a few weeks I would have thought.

I've heard no mutterings about any new routes.

Bristol_Traveller
4th May 2008, 00:46
For what's it worth the inaugural rotation on Sunday 30 March carried a total of 97 pax (that's the total for both ways) according to the CAA.

Similarily, for what it's worth, OSL-BRS was comfortably full on Thursday 10th April, which amazed me. I was on a LHR-OSL-ARN-OSL-BRS which routing which I'd had to kick up a fuss to get the OSL-BRS leg (and which cost me a small fortune on a EGBRTM fare).

danielhobbs
4th May 2008, 19:19
I believe the Oslo flight is at about 30% capacity so far.

A source informed me from Bristol Intl Airport.

a bristolian
4th May 2008, 19:38
SK Oslo.

Sunday flight choc a block.

Thursday late evening very satisfactory.

Tuesday late evening OK.

1st full month will be around 70%.

Great airline to have opertaing from Lulsgate!

S

lbalad
6th May 2008, 20:59
Just been reading on LBA thread that a rumoured 738 to operate to Pakistan.

Can someone confirm that there was a flight to Goa from Bristol in the dim and distant past on a MD aircraft?.Paramount rings a bell?.

Have I lost the plot or was this the case?.Any info anybody?

a bristolian
6th May 2008, 21:20
W1988/1999

Weekly BRS-LGW-Rhodes - Sharjah - Goa for I think tour operator Inspirations Goa or similar. With MD-83's.

BRS used to carry 30-40 pax per sector but we were only a 1 million pax per annum airport then if not less - now 6 Mill +++!!!

S

lbalad
6th May 2008, 21:23
Thanks a bristolian!

Glad I'm not losing the plot completely!.

LGWAlan
7th May 2008, 12:15
I also remember a CKT A320 that routed GLA-NCL-???-GOI one winter as well for Inspirations

MrMalev
7th May 2008, 12:29
Hi,

I've noticed FR are cutting back the Budapest route soon from 1-3-5-7 to -2----7... does anybody know why this is and if it's just a seasonal cutback to allow other routes for the summer or is the route not bringing in the cash?

Travel quite a lot back home to Bristol, use Malev to AMS and KLM to BRS when work are footing the bill but when I'm stumping up the cash FR will do nicely and this new pattern makes getting back on a weekend Fri-Sun a bit of a sod - that, and I actually think I prefer FR over KLM Cityhopper.

Bristol_Traveller
7th May 2008, 12:50
I actually think I prefer FR over KLM Cityhopper

Good grief. Has it got that bad on the KL? Anyway, LH offers a reasonable fare (well, about the same as Skyteam) through FRA, and might be a nicer ride.

MrMalev
7th May 2008, 13:14
Well, last KL flight was changed in AMS from an F100 to an F70 with some pax offloaded and delayed until the next one. Then along with a 45 minute delay, followed by de-icing the departure was about 90 minutes late... followed by a 25min wait for a bus in BRS... and topped off with bags being lost!

Haven't tried LH as yet but the transfer times aren't as favourable as via AMS. Going to give them a try into LCY from next weekend from BUD, outward via MUC and back via FRA - original plan was Bristol but on playing with dates the LH fare jumped from £230 quid to over £1k.

FR have been doing the job OK, though the plane the last couple of times (can't remember the reg but it's got 'Up Munster' stuck on the front) has been a bit naff. Is the Boeing liveried plane operating out of BRS still?

MerchantVenturer
7th May 2008, 13:16
I've noticed FR are cutting back the Budapest route soon from 1-3-5-7 to -2----7... does anybody know why this is and if it's just a seasonal cutback to allow other routes for the summer or is the route not bringing in the cash?

I noticed this item on a Hungarian website (it was in English) on 19 March and wondered when it would be implemented at BRS.

Last Monday, Ryanair announced plans to withdraw 11 of its current 29 weekly Budapest flights by the beginning of this summer. As a result, Ryanair will operate only 18 flights per week during summer 2008. No routes will be cancelled, only the frequency of flights is affected.

It seems this is an across the board move by FR, not just at BRS. Presumably it's a financial decision.

It's unfortunate for Bristol on the face of it because the BUD route seems to be one of the best performing of the new FR routes at Lulsgate in load terms, but as we are always reminded if we attach too much importance to this measure it's yields that count.

Not dissimilar to the easyJet decision to axe Gdansk from all their bases with again the BRS route showing good load figures, but those yields..............

MrMalev
7th May 2008, 13:21
I'd read that too MV (caboodle.hu?), but the mention of it being for 'Summer 2008' makes me ponder whether the planes are being sent elsewhere for seasonal routes and then returned to the BUD route later in the year. Flights I've traveled on have seen well patronised. At the BUD end all the FR flights arrive/depart in the evening and there are always a lot of pax at the desks.

After the sun's gone here, I wouldn't mind the weekend flights back for the Winter!

Bristol_Traveller
7th May 2008, 13:33
original plan was Bristol but on playing with dates the LH fare jumped from £230 quid to over £1k

Perserve when this happens. There are still strange strange things happening with the LH fare engine on routes to/from BRS. I'm seeing an 18:30 from BUD arrive 22:15 at BRS on a Friday evening, and the 11:50 from BRS on Sunday back in BUD at about 18:00?

WATABENCH
7th May 2008, 14:28
With CWL closing is doors to any more Heineken Cup traffic, is there any extra traffic in to BRS?

a bristolian
7th May 2008, 14:37
Watabench

Hi.

Loads of extra flights for H Cup on 24 May.

A very , very good selcetion of carriers including Air Berlin , Neos and a few others nice ones for the spotters!

Still working on more flights now.

S

WATABENCH
7th May 2008, 14:39
Thought there might be a bit of over spill from CWL, all good then!

MerchantVenturer
7th May 2008, 19:36
MrMalev,

I've had a look at the FR web timetable for June and it seems the two BRS-based aircraft are fully utilised.

Compared to the winter timetable there are additional routes to Bergerac, Beziers and Pau this summer (each 3 x weekly).

To accomodate these rotations to/from France BUD has lost the two weekly rotations you mentioned and Katowice, Poznan, Bratislava amd Derry have all lost at least one weekly rotation (Derry is down from daily to 4 x weekly) from the winter timetable.

Doubtless too early to second-guess next winter, especially with the current world economic situation.

WATABENCH
8th May 2008, 19:10
www.uk-airport-news.info/bristol-airport-news-070508.htm

Any ideas?

Standard Noise
8th May 2008, 20:01
from the speed of the fire engines headed for the runway
And they're meant to do what, dawdle?:ugh:

Our reader tells us that the wind was directly down the runway but the aircraft 'seemed to be crabbing on the approach'
GIVE ME STRENGTH!!!!!:ugh:

and it did not appear to use full reverse thrust after landing, indicating engine problems
AAAAAAARRRRRRRGGGGGGGHHH!!:ugh::ugh:

Where do these idiots come from?:hmm:

Confirmed Must Ride
9th May 2008, 07:33
That is some of the worst journalism I have ever read. I know the media is usually ill informed but this guy sounds like he is 12 years old!

WATABENCH
9th May 2008, 10:08
It is rather amusing to say the least :}

WATABENCH
9th May 2008, 22:07
Another story in the Bristol Evening Post regarding a Manx2 aircraft flying to Gloucester, had landing gear probs and declared emergency and diverted to BRS. Paper says fire engines from all over Bristol went to airport...was this over zealous journo's again?

Standard Noise
9th May 2008, 23:25
It did happen but it was something and nothing really. As for the local brigade coming from all over the city, I dunno what way the A&S brigade deploy. Could be true.

12th May 2008, 16:16
Will GSM be continuing the YHM flights into W08?

BRS_flyer
13th May 2008, 09:03
Heres a funny one for you?? Got this e-mail from easyjet the other day:

Splash out from Bristol this Summer With our cheap fares from just £13.99 (single including taxes), there's no excuse to be stuck indoors with the kids this month. And, wherever you decide to go, remember we fly into central airports so there will be no little voices chirping, 'Are we nearly there yet?!' on the way to your hotel!
Fly from Bristol to:
Nice from £31.99
Paris from £19.99
Amsterdam from £19.99
London Stansted from £16.99 (New low fare!)
Liverpool from £13.99 (New low fare!)
Alicante from £48.99
Venice from £18.99

Anyone spot the strange additons of STN and LPL as low fares?? Have seen no other indication of this from either the airport or EZY. E-mail was sent on the 6th and I have been waiting for an anouncement to materialise since then, but nothing yet.

http://www.uk-airport-news.info/bris...ews-070508.htm (http://www.uk-airport-news.info/bristol-airport-news-070508.htm)

That is classic! I was on for this and it was really nothing like this. Was due to a smell of burning in the cockpit so the story about lack of engine braking is particually hilarous. I guess the "source" must have been viewing this from the terminal rather than being a passenger as I belive that they knew nothing about the incident and the fire section kept a discrete distance while the aircraft taxied to stand.

mikealpine
13th May 2008, 15:15
Can I just say, as SLF, I had the most extraodinary experience at Bristol Airport yesterday afternoon. No que at all at check in with Easyjet, no que at all at security, no hassle getting through security and all this with a reasonably full flight to Malaga and several other flights busy as well. Almost boardering on excellent, keep up the good work who ever has had the sense to increase staffing levels! or am I being naive and it was just quiet??

MerchantVenturer
15th May 2008, 10:50
The anti-expansionists persuaded North Somerset Council planning committee last night that the proposed covered walkway to the western apron cannot go ahead as permitted development and will need to undergo the full planning process.

A Bristol Evening Post report describes airport officials as 'fuming' at the decision with chief executive, Paul Kehoe, saying he was 'extremely disappointed'.

The airport is yet to decide whether to appeal the decision. Mr Kehoe said, "We believe the proposal was permitted development and we need to think about what the council has said and move forward accordingly. An environmental own goal has been scored here tonight. The council has failed to understand its own officers and aviation advisors - there is a lot of emotion at the moment and we need to put a cold towel around our heads before deciding what to do next."

It does seem a peculiarly British thing that the future of a major regional facility is left to the whim of councillors from one small area of that region to decide on its future.

danielhobbs
15th May 2008, 13:03
Apparently watching the democratic process evolve at local level was depressing, particularly as the Councillors went against the recommendations of their Planning Officer.

I wasnt able to make it to show my support as face of Bristol International Supporters Group, but i hope that the airport will continue to fight through the hard times that the nimbyists are giving them.

Bristol Airport ARENT giving up!

Bristol based Taffy
15th May 2008, 13:52
Yet again it's the VOCAL minority deciding the future of a REGIONAL service. :ugh:

I just hope that each and every member of the council plus the NIMBYs catagorically promise NEVER to use either their local airport, the infernal combustion engine or any other airport in this country for their transportation need now or in the future, after all we all have to make a sacrifice :{

Someone should show them the pictures of the newly opened terminal at Beijing airport!!!!........:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Rant over

:E

Standard Noise
15th May 2008, 15:29
categorically promise NEVER to use either their local airport
Don't count on it, seen it all before - an MP visiting their local airport (not Bristol) to protest about noise on behalf of local people then using that same airport to fly to London to attend Parliament. :ugh:
Don't imagine they're much different here.

OliWW
15th May 2008, 16:39
What are the aircraft types based at bristol this summer, I know easyjet have the A319's and Ryanair the B738 and excel the B738
what about first choice and thomas cook??

WATABENCH
15th May 2008, 17:23
First Choice 2xB757, 1XB767(part week)

Thomas Cook 1XA320

I wonder if Bristol City Council would of come to the same opinion had it been in their remit?
I have a sneaky suspision they would of Ok'd it as it would be helping maintain and boost the city as a destination and a business.

The North Somerset Council just see the airport as a noisy pain in the rear if you ask me, such the wrong attitude to have, they should be using it to their advantage, example...I was out in Bristol on saturday night, there were hen and stag parties all over the place and from all over the place, 1 party from glasgow(flew EZY), 1 group from Ireland (flew FR) and another group from Newcastle(flew EZY) if you go on the ezy/fr websites they're full of what a great city bristol is, surely the council could be marketing Weston, Burnham and the Mendips in these areas!!
They should move in to the 21st century and think outside the box, bunch of flippin planks if you ask me!
:*

LGS6753
15th May 2008, 17:30
Perhaps the aforementioned councillors should be charged with bringing democracy into disrepute.
Unfortunately, they may be doing the bidding of their electorate in the hope of retaining their seats.

crackling jet
15th May 2008, 18:00
Whatabench,

Thomas Cook,try 2 x A320 :ok:

Bristol based Taffy
15th May 2008, 20:22
Maybe B.I.A. should play them at their own game, next time they get wind of one of the afore mentioned luddites passing thru the airport on one of their "fact finding" missions to Paris :rolleyes:

Invite the local T.V. and press to interview them at the airport.

Might prove interesting, although knowing most self serving hypocrites that they are, they'd probably find someway to look good in the eyes of public.

Personally I think they should put in planning permission to extend the runway to 8,000 feet and build a terminal the size of T5!!!:E:E:E

That would bring the muppets out in force

Outoftheblue22
15th May 2008, 21:04
How are the security queues at BRS these days?? I seem to recall they were putting some improvements in place?

Welshtraveller
17th May 2008, 07:13
What aircraft type operates the SN Bristol - Split route? The flight departs BRS at 15:15 every Saturday, is the aircraft already based in BRS or does it arrive from another destination? There is nothing on the arrivals board.

MerchantVenturer
17th May 2008, 13:08
It should be an ARJ.

The Brussels Airlines timetable shows the aircraft arriving at BRS at 1435 from BRU on Sats as a scheduled service SN 2055, before operating to Split as a 'charter', getting back at BRS at 2155.

It then operates to Bastia (Corsica) as a 'charter' early on Sunday mornings, returning to BRS just before midday, before returning to BRU shortly afterwards as a scheduled service, SN 2056.

SN 2055 is not shown on today's web arrivals board nor on Mayfly but tomorrow's SN 2056 is. 2055 and 2056 are certainly bookable next weekend so I imagine their not being shown is a glitch; it's not the first time flights have been missed on the arrivals page, Mayfly and the BRS Ceefax page 452.

easyJet also serves Split on Saturdays (out at 0735 and back at 1325) and on Wednesdays (0755/1345).

Welshtraveller
17th May 2008, 15:12
Thank you for the information. I am travelling on the SN Bristol - Split flight later in the summer. Have a feeling this flight may be subject to delays, hope I'm wrong. On the postive side, today's flight left on time.:)

flyerboy
17th May 2008, 16:18
SN have been flying from BRS on charters for the last few summers and have not had many delays so why do you expect any this summer

Standard Noise
17th May 2008, 19:57
If you would like a delay, I'm sure it could be arranged.:}

airvanman
18th May 2008, 19:27
Some ?s
Has the walkway been made and paid for?
I take it is was being built off site and it was a case of plonking it in place?
Someone said it was having holding rooms, so in a way more pax can be in the system?

:confused:

Anyway, bad news for BRS

MerchantVenturer
18th May 2008, 20:06
North Somerset Council's apparent unsupportable decision is what we've been discussing in several posts from #578 onwards in this thread.

The proposed walkway is not like those that already exist at BRS to some of the stands on the main (east) apron which are simply covered pathways.

The proposal is for a structure to the more distant west apron, leaving the terminal above ground level with holding areas beneath at each stand.

For a full description of the construction and raison d'etre of the walkways I can do no better than refer interested readers to bristolflyer's excellent post at #511 in this thread.

I don't believe anything has been built yet off site. I seem to recall the cost will be several million pounds.

The local authority's own planning officer agrees with the airport view that this is permitted development and I understand the council has been informed by its advisers it may well have to pay the costs of any appeal by the airport in the likely event (in the council advisers' view) of the appeal being successful.

The main expansion plan applications (which will certainly need full planning permission) are expected to be made later this year.

Bristol based Taffy
18th May 2008, 21:31
Thanks M.V. for bringing, yet again, a sense to the proceedings.

But surely if the North Somerset planning officers agreed with B.I.A. with regard to the view that it was within the scope of permitted developement, why did the councillors vote against it?

Was it a 'suck up' to the vocal minority, and if the council have to pay for the cost of the appeal why don't they then ask the vocal minority NIMBY's to help pay that cost out of their own pockets rather than the whole of North Somerset. :E

Quality14F
20th May 2008, 19:05
Hi all,

Can anybody provide a listing or point me in the right direction where I can obtiain a listing of flight due at Bristol this weekend in connection with the Rugby in Cardiff, midlands based spotter heading your way for the weekend.

Any info greatly appreciated.

Andy

MerchantVenturer
20th May 2008, 20:44
Quality14F,

Have a look at this thread.

http://www.pprune.org/forums/showthread.php?t=327349

Hello BbT.

As most of us know, politicians whether local or national are only interested in being re-elected and anything else is secondary. I add the rider that there might be a small number who are altruists but their number doesn't amount to much in my view.

It seems that most of the North Somerset local politicians are like rabbits caught in the headlights of SBAE and its fellow travellers. They seem to believe this consortium represents the majority view of all residents of the unitary authority and thus their passport to re-election at the due time if they suck up to them.

I just wish the likes of the trades unions and business organisations such as the local CBI would make more noise about the situation. After all, if the airport stagnates there will be fewer jobs and the economy of the region is bound to suffer. It might also concentrate the minds of the local politicians.

A large part of politicians’ stock in trade of course is to try to run with the hare and the hounds at the same time. Many of them have egos that make them believe they can successfully do it.

A regular critic of BRS expansion is Weston Conservative MP, John Penrose, as is neighbouring Conservative MP for Woodspring, Liam Fox. Yet when Flybe axed the BAConnect operation from BRS last year the said Mr Penrose was quickly onto the local media demanding that other airlines fill the gap to protect jobs.

I’ve spent a half hour or so trawling through Parliamentary questions and debates (in both Houses) involving BRS over the past few years. The lack of knowledge of MPs and even ministers is mind-boggling. An example involves Tony McNulty MP, the then parliamentary under secretary for the DfT, who in May 2004 during a debate on Bristol Airport and the then recently published White Paper on the future of air transport in the UK, was asked by Liam Fox whether he intended to visit Bristol Airport. Mr McNulty replied that he probably would although he had already visited 15 UK airports that were ‘perhaps more senior’ to Bristol. I'm not sure what he thought he meant by this but at that time BRS was the tenth busiest UK airport measured by passenger throughput (it’s now the ninth busiest).

The common thread that seems to concern local MPs most is the poor road links, yet when new roads are proposed to connect with the airport the same MPs throw up their hands in horror at the thought of the countryside disappearing under yet more tarmac.

All MPs like to equivocate. I recently asked my MP (a Labour member) what she thought about the BRS expansion. She replied that she supported the expansion of the airport ‘providing certain conditions can be met’. Of course, she did not go on to say what these conditions might be. I shall ask her but I don’t expect her to tie herself down to anything specific; she is an MP after all.

I am afraid this has become a bit of a low-key rant so I had better finish.

Bristol based Taffy
20th May 2008, 21:39
Yep M.V.

They are much better for the blood pressure, especially for those of us getting older!! :{

Fully concur with your appraisal of local and national politicians.

99% of them would shoot their partners if it meant re election.:\

and then claim it as an acceptable expense on the tax payers behalf :ugh:

OltonPete
20th May 2008, 22:24
MV

Always an interesting read and I for one would not argue.

Here in the West Midlands we are awaiting the decision on
this 400M multi-million pound strip of concrete that will no
doubt shape BHX's future.

As you might guess the anti airport lobby has been vocal
but it has not all been one way traffic. The West Midlands
CBI has gone to press on several occasions with its support
and even our local MP (Liberal) has given her backing and she
has a lot to lose at the next election after booting out the
Conservatives for the first time since anyone can remember .

I believe that the decision one way or other is to be made
by 30/06/08 and although I doubt that the airport opponents
have not had their last word in the press, it has been thus far
been fairly civilised although this might rapidly change if it is
rubber-stamped without Public Enquiry.

It sounds as if Bristol has a very........well lets be polite
strong anti-airport lobby going by the recent modest expansion
(I know some would not call them modest) plans the airport
have submitted.

Pete

birdscarer
21st May 2008, 08:19
I guess Brum has a half decent council....we on the other hand have North 'Pick Your Own' Somerset Council shaping our future.
If BIA had sent a gallon of scrumpy and a block of extra mature cheddar across to represent us then we might have stood half a chance!

danielhobbs
21st May 2008, 11:56
Can anybody provide a listing or point me in the right direction where I can obtiain a listing of flight due at Bristol this weekend in connection with the Rugby in Cardiff, midlands based spotter heading your way for the weekend.

The airport will be selling copies of a special mayfly in the airport information desk for £2, all proceeds going to the airports Wallace & Gromit Childrens Charity.

extalex
21st May 2008, 14:50
Will these mayflys be on sale before the weekend?

danielhobbs
21st May 2008, 18:46
I believe so. Try tomorrow (a day before they start), and see if you can get some.

flower
25th May 2008, 19:51
I had the misfortune of flying out of BRS on Friday, what is it with handling agents that they seem to think keeping pax in the dark about delays keeps them happy :mad: It would have been so easy for them to have simply advised due to earlier problems that there would be delays but no that's to easy.
I should say this isn't only a BRS problem but to call the departures lounge chaotic on Friday afternoon would be an understatement with few or no seats free and loads having to stand and lean against whatever they could it made for a deeply unpleasant time. A simple notice on the departures board explaining why there were delays would have been appreciated.

Stone Cold II
25th May 2008, 20:16
I agree with you flower the terminal while it does look nice became very quickly to small for Bristol's operations.

danielhobbs
25th May 2008, 22:23
This is why we need to show support for the airport so that the expansion can do good things for us passengers, and make the experience much more enjoyable.

I hope that your next transit through BIA will be much less traumatic.

nivsy
27th May 2008, 08:27
It's not very nice on arrival either! Having flown in on the late afternoon flight from Frankfurt with LH (Eurowings) - 10 minutes were spend waiting on board awaiting a coach to take s a few hundred yards by some weaving route gto the terminal building. Come on if FRA can have coaches waiting for aircraft on arrival surely Bristol can manage it!!

On arrival at terminal building immigration control appeared to be not prepared - long queue formed (witha 146 load and a Ryan Air 737) all the way up the stairs and possibly outside in the rain) before we started to move and perhaps the sweet girl telling pax which desk to go so would have been more gainfully employed actually manning the third empty immigration desk instead (assuming she was immigration).

Oh and whats this about charging for trolleys now? so 1990's!!!! Come on Bristol whose idea was that?

Nivsy

BRS_flyer
27th May 2008, 08:49
GSM Launch yesterday!! Ran about 8 hours late I think. Problems with check in systems, pax handling just about everything else. Thank goodness its only weekly!:bored:

flower
27th May 2008, 10:35
To be fair BRS is a victim of it's huge success and credit must truly go to the marketing team who have turned a small regional into a thriving hub. The terminal though was built for a much smaller throughput of pax and quite frankly it needs doubling in size. It is a chaotic departure system and must be a nightmare to work with. I was also astonished to be told that my small ladies handbag was considered as my one item of hand luggage and i ended up having to stuff it into my normal sized hand baggage item to get through security I have never encountered that before and it seems a tad outdated.

Stone Cold, your company looked after me very well, one is now a passenger who needs additional assistance and your cabin crews looked after me marvellously, just shame you weren't flying on either of the two flights i travelled on

MerchantVenturer
27th May 2008, 11:04
In the latest airport consultative committee meeting minutes to be posted on the airport's website the CEO admits that the number of flights now operating from the airport causes logistical problems at certain times in finding sufficient buses.

He goes to on to say that the proposed walkway to the western apron will remove this problem BUT, of course, those following airport events know the local authority has said the walkway requires full planning consent which, unless the airport successfully appeals the decision, will mean the walkway will not appear for a long while, if at all.

Being a user of the airport for many years, the odd long delay awaiting to be bussed to the terminal is nothing new although in general the operation usually works quickly and smoothly, in my experience anyway. Perhaps I've been lucky......who knows?

As for the immigration, like any airport, they are in the hands of the government department concerned as to staffing. When I arrived late one evening a few weeks ago I think there were four desks manned, with a couple of other people (I believe airport or Servisair employees) directing people to the next available desk. In fairness, it took about ten minutes to clear immigration (five or six other easyJet and Ryanair flights had arrived within a few minutes of ours) which meant the wait at the carousel for our bags was no more than a couple of minutes.

Gone are the days at Bristol when it was only necessary to hold out a British passport to be waved through on the nod.

As for the departure areas being congested, the terminal was originally designed for 3.5 million annually, was extended a bit by permitted development to the point where in its master plan the airport reckons it can handle around 6 million or so. We have reached that point now.

Have they now finished converting part of the landside to airside? This should give a bit more space to departing passengers.

The airport does indeed want to double the terminal size but it is two years behind the timescale originally set out in its master plan, mainly because it has to tread so warily in the face of the anti-expansionists who must be the best organised of any UK regional airport's opponents.

The local authority is not helpful, as can be seen by its perverse decision to rule the walkway as not permitted evelopment, despite its own professional advisers believing it is.

So it looks as though passengers will have to endure a crowded airport at certain times of the day for a while longer.

ATCO1987
3rd Jun 2008, 17:45
The Landside/Airside boundary change has almost been completed, bar the area of food village and brunel bar which is still under construction.

New security search comb now in use, with 7 Xray/AMD positions (but, as always, with barely enough staff to man them...good old G4S...).

jaycee10
5th Jun 2008, 09:28
Not yet officially announced but general news within the handling agents is that Ryanair will be basing two more aircraft at Bristol from September this year. No news on routes as yet but Ryanair thread lists three new destinations for them.

Standard Noise
5th Jun 2008, 14:46
News travels fast then. :rolleyes:
I don't pay too much attention to it all (they're all just yellow & green blips to me) but even I knew that about 2 months ago.

JulietNovemberPapa
5th Jun 2008, 14:53
BRS-GDN-BRS: 3, 7
BRS-SZZ-BRS: 2, 6
BRS-RAK-BRS: 2, 6

So, FR will operate 6 routes from BRS to Poland: GDN; SZZ; POZ; WRO; KTS; and RZE.

iflycwl
5th Jun 2008, 18:27
Over the bridge we here that Ryan Air also showing interest in CWL with new routes soon..................are these true ??

MerchantVenturer
5th Jun 2008, 21:28
I’ve had a look at the FR winter timetable and it looks as though the following flights will operate using BRS-based aircraft.

Bergerac: Mon, Thur
Beziers: Mon, Fri
Bratislava: Thur, Sun
Budapest: Mon, Wed, Fri
Derry: Mon, Wed, Fri, Sun
Dinard: Tue, Thur, Sat
Dublin: Daily (see below)
Gdansk: Wed, Sun
Katowice: Wed, Fri, Sun
Knock: Mon, Wed, Fri, Sun
Marrakesh: Tue, Sat
Milan (Bergamo): Daily
Poznan: Tue, Thur, Sat
Riga: Mon, Fri
Rsezsow: Wed, Sun
Szczecin: Tue, Sat
Turin: Sat
Wroclaw: Tue, Thur, Sat

Interesting that Bergerac and Beziers remain for the winter but not Pau. Porto also seems to have been dropped.

Compared with last winter Derry is down from daily to 4 x weekly (but the same as for the current summer), and Bratislava, Budapest and Riga have all lost one weekly rotation.

However, one of the daily Dublin flights seems to be operated by a BRS-based aircraft (out from BRS at 1600 each day and back at 1825). In total the DUB route sees 25 weekly rotations.

Finally the Shannon (6 x weekly) and the Girona (4 x weekly) still appear to continue to be operated by aircraft from those bases.

The upshot is that at least part of each day will require 3 based aircraft as the timetable currently stands.

Can't help with the CWL rumour other than having read it on a number of message boards.

Bristol based Taffy
6th Jun 2008, 16:36
Keeping fingers crossed that Bristol doesn't lose it's flights due to the turmoil occuring over the Atlantic with the Majors cutting back drasically.

Understand CEO and senior management at CO not taking bonus payments this year, to try and help the situation.

Did you hear that Railtrack :E

Pandy
8th Jun 2008, 13:36
After my monthly rants about LH not loading fares on their booking engine for DXB/BRS/DXB & the consequences for the FRA/BRS/FRA route, I gave it another try today.

At last the fares appear half sensible, about AED4k (£545) instead of AED13+k being shown before.

So ran it against the EK website for LON. For the same dates this came out AED600 (£85) cheaper over LHR/LGW.

The LH website for DXB/LHR/DXB offers AED3130 (£425).

I'm not travelling to UK for a good few months, so I'm purely did this out of academic interest. I just ran the same dates on the same booking engine.

My question to those that know these things is why (when the BRS/FRA/BRS is reportedly doing poorly) is it about £120 cheaper to connect over FRA into LHR rather than over FRA into BRS? If FRA / BRS was booked solid I'd understand but according to what I read on here its not.

Is it because LH have to undercut EK to get connecting business and as there's no NS into BRS they can charge what they like? I assume they know something of the UK's geography, its not that difficult to get a taxi / train / bus or whatever to LHR and its about cost neutral on their fares.

LH isn't my favourite carrier but I would fly them, so why pay the same amount for a long layover at FRA (not top of my list either), longer than a return taxi / car journey to LHR. Zero benefit

What is the thinking behind such a fare structure (or isn't there any)?

Pandy
12th Jun 2008, 15:50
Quote from CO News Releases - on their website

As of Sept. 3, 2008, CO will be reducing frequencies in certain markets and will also discontinue service between its hubs shown below and the following cities or airports:

Newark Liberty: Albuquerque, N.M., Cologne, Germany, Santiago, Dominican Republic, Sarasota, Fla., Salt Lake City, Utah, San Jose, Calif., and Tucson, Ariz.

As Cologne's mentioned looks like BRS has survived this round

MerchantVenturer
13th Jun 2008, 22:08
Pandy,

Re LH to FRA, the May stats have now been published and show 9441 used the route last month. If all rotations operated this would give an average load of 51, which represents a load factor in the low 50s% on the Eurowings 146-300.

It appears that the route is building steadily but it does not seem to have been helped by the pricing anomalies. Had the airline used one of their 50-seat CRJs, which was something that a number of people suggested would be the better course, clearly they could not have accommodated all the people who travelled in May.

The other new 'legacy carrier' (SAS) route to Oslo saw 1858 passengers in May, an average load of 72, down from April's average of 78. I'm not sure of the seating capacity of the 737s used (they don't always use the same model variant as far as I can tell) but I would have thought the load factor cannot be any higher than 60% at best.

Ryanair and easyJet continue to slug it out over Milan with neither getting spectacular loads. FR saw 6929 to Bergamo (average load 112, load factor 59%) and easyJet saw 6427 to Malpensa (average load 104, load factor 66%).

It will be interesting to see how long they keep this up. Ryanair have certainly indicated through their winter timetable that they intend continuing daily; we shall have to wait for easy's decision when their winter timetable is published.

Not all doom and gloom though with load factors on FR's Polish routes significantly up on previous months with some well into the 80s% - easy getting similar lfs on their Warsaw and Krakow.

Overall BRS handled 588,705 passengers in May, up 14.3% on May 2007, and the rolling 12-month total is 6,166,818, up 8.3% on the same period last year.

Pandy
14th Jun 2008, 17:27
Thanks MV for your usual calm, measured analysis of the position.

Do you have figures for Newark? thats the one which worries me, only time I use BRS is on the way to IAH - if that goes then its yet more LHR or a nonstop from DXB which @ 18 hours is a non starter - getting old.

Its interesting that the regional figures are still going up, could it be BRS has historically been underserved & its growth is actually (to a degree) coming from (shall we call it) transfers from LHR?

The No 1 on my wish list is a NS to DXB or anywhere within 300 nms.

MerchantVenturer
14th Jun 2008, 20:38
Hello Pandy.

May 2008 saw 8425 on the BRS-EWR (average load 136, load factor nudging 78%), 200 fewer pax than in May 2007.

The route has been building up steadily with 84,000 in 2006 and 93,000 in 2007. So far nearly 35,000 have travelled in 2008, about 800 down on the same period last year. However, April and May figures are still provisional.

For the first year or so it was reported locally, and the airport never denied it, that the route was not attracting US-based passengers in hoped-for-numbers, but now the airport says the position has reversed with more passengers originating in the USA than in the UK.

As a comparison, the CO BFS-EWR that started at the same time as the BRS-EWR (May 2005) carried 102,000 and 103,000 passengers in 2006 and 2007 respectively.

My own feeling, for what it is worth, is that too many locals are still using LHR for their transatlantic travel, given they have an option on their doorstep. I accept that many US destinations from BRS require a transfer at EWR and that LHR invariably provides a non-stop route, but I still believe that West Country people could support the service a bit more strongly. I've put several people onto it who were unaware of its existence (despite good local advertising) and most have since used the route more than once. Perhaps I should operate on commission.:cool:

As for the airport passenger figures generally, domestic scheduled numbers have been on the decline for a year or more, mainly through the BACon pull-out. Until this year charter numbers have held up well but last month (the first of the main summer charter season) several charter routes saw a reduced number of flights with others axed altogether compared with summer 2007 (mainly because of the TOM pull-out and the XL Group reducing to one based aircraft) which then, unsurprisingly, gave a significant reduction in total charter passenger numbers.

What seem to rise inexorably are the scheduled international passenger figures with the FR base that opened last November being the major catalyst for the large monthly and annual percentage increases this year.

Of course, raw passenger numbers are not the definitive guide to route or base profitability but consistently high numbers must help.

Some of the BRS punters must be seen as having a few spare quid because a company has just opened a caviar and oyster bar in departures.:eek:

flyerboy
14th Jun 2008, 21:03
A couple of months back the local paper had a list of where pax were connecting to from EWR. Houston was top,well since the start of the summer schedules it is now available from LHR so it is not really a shocker that pax are slightly down, 3% last month but it still depends on how many of those 136 are in the front.
As for the charters since last year we have had two major mergers so it's not really rocket science that actual numbers will go down. 4 into 2 means that 50% is about where the figures will or perhaps should be.XL seemed to decide to monitor the situation for a year or so.If you look at the split
between schedule & charter figures it's not quite time to get too pessimistic

bristolflyer
15th Jun 2008, 11:34
The rational at Continental for starting flights to secondary international airports was that it was more profitable than some US domestic routes due to the higher returns of international business class traffic. If this business model is still being pursued one hopes they will cut US capacity before making cuts to European services. No doubt some people are still going to LHR because it is their company travel policy to use BA etc. I've always found the EWR service to be effortless. Well done to the Councillors of North Somerset for a spectacular own goal. FR will still base new planes and in due course they will cost the people they represent money when the decision is overturned. The expanded security area seems to be working well in addition to the new immigration desks. I give the sea food bar six months before it reverts back to "Bar des Voyages"! I've passed through twice since it opened and it appeared the good folk of Bristol were passing up the chance to have a lobster prior to boarding.

BRS_flyer
19th Jun 2008, 07:54
Im out on the Continental in a few weeks and the fare was over £100 less than any options out of LHR or LGW and they still involved a change. At the moment loads are generally consistant but lower than I have seen in previous years, possibly evidence of people tightening their belts due economy etc.

The Caviar bar is apparently doing rather well. Have seen it one afternoon with no spare seats and according to the catering company is achiving a higher turnover than a similar outlet at T5. Not sure how profitable it will be long term but if you think about it, with the prices they charge the break even point must not require that many customers per day.

Confirmed Must Ride
19th Jun 2008, 20:24
looks like CO has chosen new partners..goodbye Skyteam hello Star Alliance

easyJet Galley King
23rd Jun 2008, 19:23
Ryanair and easyJet continue to slug it out over Milan with neither getting spectacular loads. FR saw 6929 to Bergamo (average load 112, load factor 59%) and easyJet saw 6427 to Malpensa (average load 104, load factor 66%).

It will be interesting to see how long they keep this up. Ryanair have certainly indicated through their winter timetable that they intend continuing daily; we shall have to wait for easy's decision when their winter timetable is published

With recent expansion at MXP, it would be nice to see that 2nd daily rotation in the morning, allowing for a days work in Milan. This I think would give us the edge over FR, and get the business traveller that the route I think is aimed at.

My own feeling, for what it is worth, is that too many locals are still using LHR for their transatlantic travel, given they have an option on their doorstep. I accept that many US destinations from BRS require a transfer at EWR and that LHR invariably provides a non-stop route, but I still believe that West Country people could support the service a bit more strongly.

Origninally, wouldnt consider the service due to the Skyteam alliance, but with a new move to Star, I could be swayed. However, there is still something I find somewhat claustraphobic about EWR on a 757.....

Bristol based Taffy
24th Jun 2008, 18:05
I for one will certainly be considering them in future now they are in the act of joining Star.

Although this normally takes around 12 months to be confirmed and miles can then be accrued.

It would be nice if in place by next Feb :O

MerchantVenturer
25th Jun 2008, 13:17
I used BRS in the morning rush yesterday for the first time since the extended security area and extended airside areas had been put in place.

I left on the 0710 easyJet to GLA, right in the middle of the most concentrated departure period of the day – 29 departures between 6 and 8.50, including 13 easyJet 319s/737s, 3 Ryanair 738s, 2 FCA 757s, 2 TCX 320s, an XL 738, an F 70 and two 146/RJ 85 aircraft, plus five turbo-props – in other words, over 4,000 seats.

I feared the worst and arrived just after 5.30 (I had checked in online) but have to say I was impressed with the ways things went.

About six or seven of the security stations seemed to be operating, and it took me just over fifteen minutes to progress from joining the queue to entering airside beyond security. It could have been a shorter period because a situation seems to exist at one point along the queue path where a staff member intercepts queuing passengers and directs them into a particular line to a particular station, and the queues to the nearer stations are shorter than those for the more distant ones. I was unlucky and drew the short straw to the furthermost station.

Some people queuing around me were luckier and got through security three or four more minutes quicker than me. Nevertheless, if around fifteen minutes is going to be the absolute maximum at such a time of day I will have no complaints.

Once into departures I went to the mezzanine floor and sat at a table overlooking the main apron. I was aware of a sense of increased space airside, even though work is still in progress on a new restaurant, and there seemed to be plenty of empty chairs around me. I also looked down into the departure lounge area proper and, although very busy, there were a good number of available seats.

Perhaps I was lucky and yesterday was not typical. If it is the norm though the airport may be able to handle a few more passengers in reasonable comfort at the busiest times after all, whilst waiting for its expansion to go ahead – always assuming it is allowed to go head of course.

However, there is still something I find somewhat claustraphobic about EWR on a 757.....

eJGalleyKing

We're all getting too soft.:eek: There was a time when a single-aisle 707 or DC8 to the US was regarded as the height of aviation travel. I actually prefer narrow-bodied aircraft but perhaps that's just me.

Incidentally, excellent easyJet flights to/from GLA yesterday, which I've become accustomed to expect, and we had ladies in the right hand seat both on the morning northbound and on the last southbound of the day.

Out of interest, no hidden or sexist agenda I assure you, do you know how many of the flight crew at BRS are female? I remember flying with an easyJet woman captain in command two or three years ago, again from GLA to BRS if my memory is good.

Right Touch
25th Jun 2008, 17:12
MV

Out of a pilot community of about 120 at EZY Bristol , we have 5 female fo's but no Captains.

The lady Captain you referred to left some time ago to join a CWL based LOCO :ok:

wasaspacecadet
25th Jun 2008, 18:11
Happened to notice on the BRS website's departures board a series of flight numbers beginning with AAG departing today, destination Bristol.

A Google search later reveals that to be Air Atlantique. What were they up to? Appears to be more on Thursday.

Spacey

MerchantVenturer
25th Jun 2008, 18:49
Right Touch,

Many thanks.

wasaspacecadet,

It's part of the DC 3's farewell tour of UK airports. It's BRS's turn today and tomorrow, with the Dakota doing 'pleasure flips' as these were once called.

As I'm sure you know, the new EU regs will make it uneconomic for the DC 3 to continue with flights carrying the public.

yeo valley
25th Jun 2008, 20:31
co brs to newark

flew the route a few weeks ago, and then on to lax. i or the other half could not fault co with the service we were given. have flown direct to lax with the major british airlines, but they do not have a good a product as co. long may they continue to operate out of brs. cus i will sure use them in the future , which ever part of the states i have to travel to

Pandy
26th Jun 2008, 09:54
Just found the following press statements U2 & FR in today's DT

............................................................ ......
.. spokeswoman for Easy Jet said: "We are constantly surveying our passengers about the levels of service so we can act on them. However, Easy Jet is now the 4th largest airliner in Europe so people are voting with their feet."

A spokesman for Ryanair said: "Ryanair will continue to be the fastest growing airline by offering real passengers what they really want: safe, reliable, on-time flights at the lowest fares and with a no fuel surcharges guarantee. Meanwhile, Which magazine will continue to produce irrelevant, useless and inaccurate surveys of its loony members.

"If you want low fares and great passenger service then follow our 60m passengers and fly Ryanair. If you want to buy a useless magazine with no insight whatsoever into air travel, then we strongly recommend "Which" – whose annual member survey is about as useful as a baggage tag in Terminal 5."

"http://www.telegraph.co.uk/travel/2193784/BA-rated-%27average%27-by-consumers.html"

As BRS is one of the few airports at which both airlines operate side by side, how would 'members' of this board rate them?

2J&D
26th Jun 2008, 10:35
Hi Pandy

Well, I will get the ball rolling!

Out of the 2 I much prefer EZY. Having flown with FR a few times, I just feel that they miss shall I say, a touch of professionalism. The last flight I took particularly sticks in my mind, as they taxied the 737 like a F1 car, around BRS and we 'landed' more than once on arrival at DUB!!!:eek:...Not sure if they still do it, but the fanfare on arrival is just tacky!

Now with EZY, I fly them a lot more, so I could be a little biased. I have never had a problem. I have always found the crew and the service fine for what they are all about. Not sure whether it is because we have had BRS based crews, but they are always friendly, but know how to deal with slightly unruly pax (= stag/hen do's!!!) in a polite manner.

I also think it may be to do with the fact that I prefer the 319, over the 738 aswell...Not sure why, but I feel more at ease.

I would fly both, but EZY gets my top spot...Now after all this I hope my flight to VCE next Thursday goes with a hitch!

2J&D

As an aside, does anyone know what happened in the hold of the EZY flight to ALC, last Friday pm (20th)? Was surrounded by fire crew and bags ofloaded. Was in the lounge waiting for the ASW to NQY (what a great way to save all that driving!) and it appeared a little serious.

JulietNovemberPapa
26th Jun 2008, 10:48
Flown both EZY and FR many times. Never had a problem with either.

Silvertop
26th Jun 2008, 15:24
What a pleasure it was yesterday to see the Dak flying in and out of Brs yesterday, for once I was more than happy to wait at the holding point, just to sit there and watch its lovely curved final approach and landing was a privilege "proper flying" great noise also:ok:

Cheers Silvertop

Pandy
26th Jun 2008, 16:51
I remember flying into BRS on Cambrian DC3s in the 1960's

When you boarded you had to walk uphill to get to your seat & you were never sure exactly when the engines had actually started.

Once in about 1966 I came across from GCI / BRS in early Jan and the pilots had to turn on the leading edge (heaters?) to stop icing as we bounced around at ?5000ft. There were only 3 pax onboard.

It got so bad that the pilot came back to the cabin and asked

"does anyone HAVE to go to BRS? we can get in at Cardiff"

I stuck up my hand (as one did in those days) and said something like 'my family was waiting for me at BRS'. To which I got the grumpy reply

"Oh all right -I'll try BUT I'm not promising anything" slammed the cockpit door and we had a more than interesting landing.

Happy memories

Standard Noise
26th Jun 2008, 22:01
Ahhh, G-AMPY, G-AMPY, G-AMPY. Such a lovely creature. Shame about the unelected feckwits from Brussels shortening her days. Still, twas nice to see her again yesterday after such a long time. Working at Coventry was such an education.

MerchantVenturer
27th Jun 2008, 11:19
I posted on here last week that I thought that too many local people were still using LHR for transatlantic travel instead of the CO from BRS to EWR.

Well, by coincidence, in today's Bristol Evening Post web edition there is a story headlined 'Bristol Airport Could Axe New York Flight' (surely the airline would do the axing not the airport, but that's the press for you I suppose) in which BRS MD, Paul Kehoe, expresses his concern that not enough local business passengers are supporting the service and instead are using LHR. He calls on them "to use or lose" the New York route.

Mr Kehoe blames 'inertia' and is quoted in the newspaper report, "Whether it is because of corporate deals done at a national or international level, or individual decisions based on building up air miles with Heathrow-based airlines, the end result is the same - unnecessary road or rail journeys to the South East, causing congestion, generating emissions and taking money out of the region. The New York route is thriving, but it would be prudent to look ahead and make sure it stays that way."

Bob Schumacher, senior UK director for Continental Airlines, said: "We're very happy with the number of people using the New York service................and the message is simply for people to keep using it for it to remain successful."

It's not the first time I have expressed concern at the number of people, especially business passengers, still using LHR when they could fly locally, and the MD's remarks about air miles and corporate deals are certainly valid.

However, I have no doubt that there is still some ignorance in the Bristol region about the CO route's existence.

My son is in a fairly senior position with a US giant and his flights are normally arranged by a specialist company on behalf of his employer. He was flying regularly across The Pond from LHR and was getting fed up with it, especially the return road journey to the West Country after an overnight eastbound.

Two and a half years ago he asked me about connecting via AMS which was something he knew I had done from BRS down the years. I said, "Why don't you use the non-stop Continental flight to Newark and fly on from there?" He was unware of the CO flight then and the 'specialist' flight company had never suggested it.

He told them he wanted to use the CO and since then has used it on a number of occasions (he's lucky enough to ride in the front passenger cabin), so much so that he had enough air miles to take his family to the US on a leisure break on the flight in business first.

I know both the airport and airline have publicised the route pretty well but it seems that more needs to be done because I am sure there are others like my son who would use it if they knew about it.

I may be being too pessimistic but I take the MD's remarks as a clear warning that the future of the route is in some jeopardy unless businesses support it in greater numbers than hitherto.

link to full report: this is bristol - news, entertainment, jobs, homes and cars (http://www.epost.co.uk/displayNode.jsp?nodeId=144913&command=displayContent&sourceNode=231190&home=yes&more_nodeId1=144922&contentPK=20964197)

2J&D
27th Jun 2008, 12:38
Very interesting report, and I have to agree with the points raised. The corporate traveler want their miles. Hopefully with the impending move from Skyteam to Star, this may sway some of those mile collectors to think about their alliance to one particular carrier.

From a personal point of view, it would be extremely sad to see this service go. As someone who has supported the flight, via my own travel agency and have worked on trying to get 'bums on seats' I would be a little disappointed if in fact the airport did get rid of the service. Surely if it is making the airline and airport money, why get rid? I just hope we are not going to see the alienation of full service carriers, in favour of the loco's...The day the airport got the route was a good one and it would be sad to see it go. If in fact the pax make up is more US then they are surely spending their money in the region...Not a bad thing I would have thought!

Lets just hope that some of the people the report was aimed at sit up and listen!

bristolflyer
27th Jun 2008, 13:29
The report stated the route carried just over 7,000 passengers in the four weeks to the 7th June. This would equate to an average of 134 per flight. The route has escaped the first round of Continental's european cut backs (Athens and Cologne being dropped) so they must consider it viable and profitable at this stage. I wonder if the MD is firing a warning shot given the impending economic downturn. There will be less leisure flying so economy numbers will drop and therefore premium/business passengers will become more important than they already are for the route to be retained. I agree that joining Star will make it a more attractive airline. It is a move that surprised me as it was reported only a few weeks ago that they were in discussions with BA/AA about transatlantic cooperation.

MerchantVenturer
27th Jun 2008, 13:51
I wonder if the MD is firing a warning shot given the impending economic downturn.........economy numbers will drop and therefore premium/business passengers will become more important than they already are for the route to be retained.

That's a fair point that had crossed my mind. In fact, I mentioned it in another message board to which I contribute.

I've emailed the South West Regional Development Agency today asking what they are doing to try to get local businesses to support the route in greater numbers.

Bristol based Taffy
27th Jun 2008, 16:33
To follow on from M.V. -

and no doubt the South West Regional Development Agency said "What daily flight ?" :rolleyes:

Personally I 'would' have used CO for my next transatlantic flight other than the mileage accrual, so am trying out USAir.

With oil pushing $140+ a barrel there are going to be a number of belts being tightened, and not just trans Atlantic flights that will come under the watchful eye of the bean counters.

OltonPete
27th Jun 2008, 23:17
All bookable and I wonder if anybody has done any analysis? MV?

I had a quick look at Monday and I seemed to find work for nine
aircraft but was left with one odd" flight, which did not match the
rest of the schedule.

This was one of the evening flights where ten seemed to be required.
It was the MXP which stuck out but it may be just me.

Geneva was similar to East Mids with Mo, Wed, Fri, Sun in November
but it is double daily on the weekdays I checked. INS & GNB are bookable late December onwards and the usual suspects cancelled for winter such as MRS, LRH, BIQ and SPU.

Is nine based about the same as last year, as I can't remember the
number of easy based at BRS last winter?

Pete

Dragon tracker
29th Jun 2008, 18:44
Could the unusual schedule you found for Milan be that they will use an MXP based unit?

they are planning to make MXP one of their largest bases with circa 14 units based there by next Summer if things go to plan.

MerchantVenturer
30th Jun 2008, 11:20
Hello Pete.

I've had a look through the proposed timetable for this coming winter and there is a need for a minimum of ten based aircraft.

I've based this on the post-Christmas period when all the ski flights will be in operation and on most days there are ten departures before 8.30, excluding the NCL and BFS that are normally operated from those bases. In addition, the timetable calls for ten at other parts of most days.

At present there are eleven based 319s at BRS with, I believe, a twelfth due for the peak summer period (someone might be able to confirm if it is still coming), so it appears they might not need the eleventh for this winter as things stand at the moment. There were ten last winter.

You mentioned GVA. For much of the ski-season period easy will again operate 19 weekly return flights from BRS to GVA, as they did last winter: double-daily M, Tu, W and Th; 3 x daily F and Sun; 5 x daily on Saturdays in Feb and March.

As for MXP, the timings suggest it will still be operated by a BRS-based aircraft, and it's still going daily against the FR daily Bergamo.

Bristol_Traveller
30th Jun 2008, 12:02
We certainly seem to be heading for a very hard time in aviation, and it's bound to hit Bristol to some extent.

I'm not sure how good the FRA numbers are. I've done the route a number of times, and 60% load is my experience - barring on Monday morning when it was completely overbooked. But will it grow? AMS and CDG also benefit from being tourist destination, which is not really the case for FRA. Will LH be happy with 60% or can they raise fares? I'm finding it invaluable, but that's just me.

The EWR route must be close to the edge. The pricing on TATLs is suicidal, and has been for a while. Will CO moving to *A really make a material difference ex-BRS? (It will for me, as I' *G, but hardly a convincing business case!).

What I really wonder about is EZY and FR. What I see is lot of leisure travellers going to lots of leisure destinations. Is that travel discretionary, and how much will survive a downturn? Will there still be 11 A319's in orange next year?

2J&D
30th Jun 2008, 12:41
What I would say with regards to the CO route, is that we are coming up to what should normally be the busiest time of the year. A lot of people would have organised their travel plans for the likes of Florida and West coast USA some time before now and I believe they would still be wanting to travel. The £-$ exchange is still good and this could sway people to stick with their travel plans. It may be quiet at present but come mid July/Aug I would think the flights are pretty busy. After that though who knows. Don't forget a plane does not have to be full to make money, you might find that the seats booked are high yielding and with the recent press article lets hope it may help from a business travel point of view.

I think the problem going to Europe is the strength of the Euro v £. I have been lucky in only receiving on currency surcharge for a customer but if it continues we could see the reduction of pax traveling to 'Euro using' countries because prices are being increased...and it has nothing to do with fuel surcharges!

I can say that we as an agent are busy and have not noticed a decline, people are still traveling. However we are not your standard high street agency, so whether this has something to do with it? Just hope the doom and gloom being predicted doesn't get too bad...

smala01
2nd Jul 2008, 11:22
I work for multinational national based near Bristol - over the last couple of months we averaged approx 500 long haul outward sectors per month. My company along with the majority of others (I assume) have a cheapest ticket policy. We must take the cheapest usable ticket (Y) with a small (£60) personal discretion allowed for convenience.

Bristol would be far and away the most convenient airport to begin many of the journeys for myself and fellow colleagues (mainly to India and Far East – Lufty flight times are excellent) so I was excited by the introduction of the daily flight a few months back.

The trouble is the premium attached to this service (compared to a LHR legacy carrier) is about 25%. We are therefore forced to take the Heathrow “hell” option!

Of course if this flight is commercially successful then there is no need to change, but if the loads are still poor then PLEASE Lufthansa give us a comparable price so we can fly with you and support our local airport!

Smala01

Confirmed Must Ride
2nd Jul 2008, 13:06
I am sure if you contacted LH directly and asked to meet with the sales manager responsible for this region they would be more than happy to negotiate a commercial agreement with you and your company if you are completing this many trips.

2J&D
2nd Jul 2008, 14:45
Smala01,

do you have an in house agent? or us a particular agent? Might be worth them also speaking to the sales team at the airport. They have a dedicate person who deals with business travel and I am sure they would be interested in speaking with you, especially if you do have that many flight bookings. As CMR metioned, the airline could look at route deals etc dependant on the amount of travel you do! PM me if you want any more info.

Thanks

Bristol_Traveller
2nd Jul 2008, 20:16
Smala01,

If you PM me, I can give you the details of LH's commercial manager, who can probably take some more affirmative action.

I *generally* don't find a premium per se on the flights ex-BRS; what I do find is availability on BRS-FRA segment can horrendously spike fares on the long-haul segment.

I'm currently battling to do BRS-FRA-GVA-FRA-BRS next week, and due to FRA-BRS being very busy one night next week it's spiking the fare for the whole journey from £230 to £1,233! LH's fare combination rules are the work of a maniac.

MerchantVenturer
4th Jul 2008, 16:14
I've emailed the South West Regional Development Agency today asking what they are doing to try to get local businesses to support the route in greater numbers.

I did get a reply and the guts of it is this:

We have and will continue to work with Paul Kehoe and his colleagues to promote the service to our business contacts and potential inward investors and promote the benefits of travelling from the regional airport over Heathrow. A challenge the Airport faces is that many of the major companies and potential users of the flight based in the South West are often not headquartered here and travel procurement decisions for global organisations can take place outside the region. Bearing that in mind we have also helped the Airport promote the route to US tour operators to increase inbound tourism which will also increase usage of the flight.

Fairly routine sort of reply - what you would expect I suppose.

However, they won't be working with Paul Kehoe at BRS any more - he's off north along the M 5. It's like musical chairs in the CEO's seat. Wonder if Andrew Skipp will come back.

Does this mean there will be yet more delays to the expansion planning applications to give the new man or woman time to review them, as Paul Kehoe did when he took on the job?

LGS6753
4th Jul 2008, 21:04
I met Mr K when at Luton, and he struck me then as 'passing through' on his career trajectory. No passion for aviation, more passion for the career!

Just a personal view, of course.

You may get someone better at BRS now.

OltonPete
4th Jul 2008, 22:03
LGS6753

If so could it be a big risk on his part?

BHX heading towards 10 million pax, FR base secured, runway application in, T1 new pier started and TK almost in the bag, you might say the only
way is down? In these economic times can it get any better, I suppose we will just have to wait and see?

Your paragraph is only 28 words if I counted correctly but chilling all the same ;).

I assume he secured Ryanair & Lufthansa going by the dates of his tenure at Bristol?

Pete

bravoromeosierra
5th Jul 2008, 20:19
On the subject of KLM a few posters above, doesn't CityHopper have an awful on-time rating for the 06:15 Amsterdam flight!

bristolflyer
7th Jul 2008, 18:30
Paul Kehoe has done little more than keep the seat warm. Ryanair was in the bag before he arrived and Lufthansa was being courted as soon as Flybe announced they were going to cease operations at Bristol. It is disappointing, but if he really is more interested in his career then it is a positive step for the airport. Bristol needs an MD that will fight it's corner. MV I doubt the next MD will re-think the expansion plan. Paul Kehoe had to review it because it was based, in part, on BA Connect and their small Embraer jets. By the time he was appointed they had left and Ryanair was in with the larger 737's, hence the resulting pier plan. Ryanair won't pay for a bus and the airport requires infrastructure to get passengers to the plane on foot. I wonder if the whole issue of development will be put on the back burner given the current financial climate. The expanded departure and security area seems to be working well (although I have only passed through in the afternoon). The airport will do well over the next year or two to retain the current levels of routes and passengers. They may decide to consolidate given the terminal can just about cope. They can get the pier on appeal and this would solve the outstanding problems of passenger flow in the short to medium term. Where did Andrew Skipp end up after being the fall-guy for the runway farce?

Bristol_Traveller
7th Jul 2008, 21:05
On the subject of KLM a few posters above, doesn't CityHopper have an awful on-time rating for the 06:15 Amsterdam flight!

Yes, and a pretty poor reputation for CANX flights. Which may be why I see a growing number of FB tags on handluggage on the LH flight to FRA.

Come over from the dark side, and find the light. You know you want to...

(Actually, I think OW is the "dark side". ST is more, urm, the "back side"?)

crewmeal
8th Jul 2008, 05:45
Another reason not to use this dump of an airport

http://www.uk-airport-news.info/bristol-airport-news-060708.htm

Pull it down and develop Filton, it has the space, runways connections. Give Lulsgate back to the farmers where it belongs

Bristol_Traveller
8th Jul 2008, 07:14
Much as I agree with the complaints in that report, all the Airport is doing is aping the behaviour of its biggest customers - Easyjet and Ryanair. It's pretty standard behave for a company to exploit its monoply position wherever it can, and I'm sure the regulation of airport fees hasn't extended to baggage carts and car parks yet.

Filton appears to remain forever a missed opportunity. Like the girl you never asked out, it's simply less distressing not to ever think about it again.

under_exposed
8th Jul 2008, 08:00
The north field of Filton is about to be covered in houses so it is too late.

birdscarer
8th Jul 2008, 23:33
Stories like that make me laugh. There is ample free spaces to pull in by the exit booth without causing a blockage....more like I couldn't be arsed to walk over there. She clearly knew it was there prior to exiting the car park.

With regards to other charges, airports make very little from airlines. Someone has to pay for, and maintain, baggage trolleys - why shouldn't it be the customers that use them?

Crewmeal - whether Filton or Lulsgate (....totally hypothetical) were developed after Whitchurch, it would surely ultimately be the same management, who would impose the same charges and look for new revenue generators in a time where it is getting harder to make income.
I'm not sure if you understand the way an airport authority generates revenue?

Standard Noise
9th Jul 2008, 00:57
the way an airport authority raises revenueBy turning taxiways into carparks so they can fleece more punters.
Seems to be this years theme, anyhoo.:}

Assurgent
9th Jul 2008, 07:43
Standard

And pay your salary!

L G Double-Yew
10th Jul 2008, 21:57
A bit nostalgic perhaps, but a great archive of Brymon Airways photos including early days of the then "new" terminal at Bristol etc - if you follow the link to the Brymon photo archive from here Brymon Airways - history and photo archive (http://www.simplydevonandcornwall.com/Brymon%20Airways.html)

Goldilocks95
11th Jul 2008, 16:12
Those pictures are very strange to see. How it has changed!!!!

mrloop
11th Jul 2008, 17:42
Bristol in 2008 is rather different to how it was in the Brymon years.

I travelled through BRS on Wednesday and Thursday of this week finding it a rather disappointing experience despite sailing through arrivals and having a very fast baggage reclaim. The chaos to get away from the airport was horrendous - over a hundred people milling round the front waiting for the bus into the city centre (supposedly a 15 minute frequency but with the next bus showing as being due in 30 minutes). The taxi office was rammed solid with unhappy punters , a promised 5 to 10 minute wait being in reality 30 minutes (including a farcical offer of a shared taxi with two people wth pushbikes!). I really don't understand how the taxi company monopoly can be justified if the contractor can't meet peak demands.

The return trip showed that the improvements to security had worked but the departure lounge is a disgrace - once the queues for Ryanair and Easyjet flights had been circumnavigated it was eventually possible to find empty ripped and stained seats surrounded by piles of other peoples rubbish. The German colleague I was travelling with compared it to third world railway station...

It's clear to me that the airport has been so successful in attracting business that it has now totally exceeded the capacity of the available infrastructure. The drive from LHR or BHX is now only marginally worse than the BRS departure lounge.

MerchantVenturer
11th Jul 2008, 19:54
mrloop,

I can empathise with you on some of the points you raise.

The taxi monopoly is similar to some other regional airports and I have had your experience at BRS more than once. The answer the airport gave me is that there are peaks and troughs and with aircraft sometimes experiencing delays it is next to impossible to have sufficient taxis available at all times. I understand this but still think better arrangements could and should be made, albeit it will never be perfect.

As for the Flyer coach, like the airport it has experienced a phenomenal increase in passengers in recent years (up 27% in May over the previous May for example) and will carry over half a million this year.

It should be a 15-minute frequency from the airport to Temple Meads and vice versa. The service is actually two routes, viz, 331 Airport-TM Stn-Bus/Coach Station and 330 Airport-TM Stn-Central Hotels-Clifton.

The section between the airport and Temple Meads is the most heavily used (through rail tickets are available) with the bus/coach station section also fairly well patronised.

However, the 330's section between TM and Clifton is very lightly used and is allowed around an hour for the full journey in each direction from/to the airport. This seems to be one of the problem re delays. Another is the necessity of having to stow big cases in a compartment under the coach. I've noted the Flyer taking over ten minutes to load at busy times which again doesn't help time-keeping.

I think they should concentrate on the TM-airport section and increase it to a ten-minute frequency at peak hours. At present the service is often like Bristol buses in general - nothing for a while then two at once.

As to the departure lounge, at busy periods I always make for the mezzanine level. I flew out in the morning rush recently and found the mezzanine level was a relatively tranquil area compared to the crowds below - note I say relatively.

The terminal building is operating at full capacity and the airport has plans to double its size BUT these have been delayed and delayed in the face of a very well organised anti-expansion lobby.

I no longer find travelling by air a pleasure and a crowded departure lounge is just another cross to bear as far as I'm concerned. If the lounge wasn't crowded it would mean there were few flights which is how Bristol once was of course.

On balance I am prepared to put up with most of the hassle for the convenience of local departures but I accept that not everyone will agree.

Bristol_Traveller
12th Jul 2008, 08:13
On the other hand, a good long hard prolonged economic downturn will probably clear the lounge out a bit. And some of the stands.

Having been denied access to the Cabot lounge on Friday night (thanks to SK for being too cheapskate to allow entry for *G), I had to sit in the throng, and it's clearly uncomfortably full at times. I must admit, I haven't really noticed ripped seats, and I'm sure the level of rubbish fluctuates.

Maybe EZY, FR and charters would like to take control of gates 4-9 and the bus satellite, and create a separation to gates 1-3 for the remaining airlines to offer a more sedate and spacious experience? (LH seem to have taken up residence at Gate 4, sponsored by Claires Accessories).

Confirmed Must Ride
13th Jul 2008, 11:45
KL Canx again today!

WATABENCH
13th Jul 2008, 20:36
Hamburg International will be operating both Gambia Experience flights on tuesday and friday in winter, no more Astreus and FCA on that route as it stands. I'm guessing 737-700 operating.

Avalon
15th Jul 2008, 13:43
I am sad to see a once happy thriving popular airport disintegrate so swiftly into just another cr@ppy unhappy transport interchange. :(

The New MD (when appointed) must regain what Bristol has lost and realise that a successful airport (punching well above its weight in everybody's book) relies massively on a dedicated, motivated, happy and loyal work force. The new MD will be wise enough to take on board that the support of the local community (business and residential) is crucial too to the well being of the airport and its growth. That support has to be earned and nurtured. The new MD should persuade shareholders from the banking world that their demands for short term returns will damage their investment and that they should focus on longer term goals, other than the next round of refinancing (from which they all seem to personally benefit hugely!!) The new MD should stand up for quality too, particularly with infustructure improvements. If a cheap cr@ppy travel experience is what you're after - go east along the M4.

The new MD has to re-establish the belief within all "stakeholders" at Bristol International that we do have something special here and it is worth working hard for, worth supporting and worth looking after for all our futures.

Otherwise, we might as well re-name the place Luton-West.......... :{

Giddy
16th Jul 2008, 12:56
The new MD should persuade shareholders from the banking world that their demands for short term returns will damage their investment and that they should focus on longer term goals

Good luck if that is the Macquarie Money Grabbers. BHX has never looked back since they thankfully sold their shareholding.

Capt Alcock
18th Jul 2008, 14:59
Avalon

You have all the answers why don't you apply!

terrier21
18th Jul 2008, 19:47
I must admit I am slightly saddened by some of the posts I have read recently. Some of you may remember several years ago when I was working at the airport (MV does I'm sure after recieving a call from him regarding his navigator details) how the airport under the leadership of Skippy still had a family-esque feel to it. I still view this thread from time to time as I spent many happy hours working there.

I left at a time where an independant report was released internally stating that profitabillity needed to be increased by a high percentage, hence the reason why seats were removed (if people are standing they will be looking around shops and buying!!!) I also remember getting a rollocking after a night shift because I had checked the internet for a Rovers fan who had just landed and wanted to know the score of a match that had been played that night. It was these times that reinforced the fact that the 'Llsgate' airport had gone and that Bristol International had been turned solely into a buisness.

I still know many people who work there and I am sure that a lot of airports are the same but when consession stores lose over half of their profits to the fat cats who own the airport it just goes to show that staff are treated as two a penny. You can't look after staff when working on thoose smaller margins.

I used to sit and have a ciggy with Andrew Skipp in both the 'old' and 'new' terminals chatting about everything from new routes to golf to god knows what I also used to do the same with every other member of staff and I know A.S would too. This is what Brs seems to be lacking. The care needed for every cog in the system for without one EVERYTHING fails to work.

I hope BRS can find someone who takes the feel of the airport back to the old days for the sake of the staff the passengers and the south west region as a whole.

I understand these are just my views and probably not those of everyone but hey.

Rant over

T21

WATABENCH
18th Jul 2008, 22:38
787 still in TUI travel plans for BRS, in a recent press release Tim Williamson from First Choice has said that the 787 should allow new routes quickly and he used BRS-CUN(already a route on 767 via GLA) and CWL-SFB as examples, future sounds ok for both BRS and CWL in the TUI travel longhaul plans, good news, just need to wait til 2010 to see it shooting along 027!!

Terrier - your comments are spot on, BRS is punching above its weight but still small enough to be able to maintain a friendly non corporate working atmosphere, lets hope the new MD can bring this back, because it seems to of gone out the window from the day Kehoe took charge, lets hope the regimented feel goes with him. :ok:

BRS_flyer
18th Jul 2008, 22:59
Terrier 21:

Check your PM's

yeo valley
19th Jul 2008, 05:52
it needs another late great les wilson, with lots of flair and passion. I often think if he were alive today would he still be in charge of the airport. Also would we have seen as much lcc as there is now??
Who ever takes over the helm at bristol has passion and go ahead thoughts, with the point of being a freindly airport, with profits being made, but not at the expense of the punters.

Bristol_Traveller
21st Jul 2008, 21:44
I went to book a BRS-FRA flight, going out one day and back the next, and braced myself. As expected, whilst the fare was a reasonable £59, the taxes were a horrendous £121. (LH's YQ surcharge is now €35 a sector...).

Out of interest, I compared the taxes with BHX-FRA, and was surprised to see they were much lower - under £100.

At this point, I have to say I don't have complete confidence in the validity of these numbers, but here are some PSC figures for comparison:

BHX(LH)FRA - £11.30
BRS(LH)FRA - £34.22
BRS(BD)FRA - £15.80
BRS(AF)CDG - £15.80
BRS(KL)AMS - £16.90
BRS(CO)EWR - £16.90

What's interesting is that the PSC differs between the LH ticketed BRS-FRA and the BD ticketed BRS-FRA (on the codeshare). Mind you, I wouldn't trust BD to be getting it right.

So is this another LH error, or is there a good reason why BRS is charging them an extra £20 to handle passengers compared to everyone else?

MerchantVenturer
23rd Jul 2008, 12:37
Good to see you're still around, Terrier.

I know the airport is a business and is there to make money but I feel it is in danger of losing public goodwill in the way it is trying to achieve this.

First the £1 for a luggage trolley, now the Weston Mercury reports that from 5 August passengers will be able to pay a fiver to go through a fast-track security channel - see below link. I have not read a denial from the airport.

I am retired and my wife and I are the sort of people with time and the means to travel for leisure that airports and airlines would want because we don't necessarily always look for the cheapest flight - if the date and destination suits us we will travel.

We have supported BRS loyally and regularly for thirty years and still fly fairly frequently on leisure trips, sometimes even on day trips.

However, we have both become wearisome of the aviation environment in recent times - the security hassle including what you can and can't take, queues and wondering that if a return flight is cancelled (especially with locos, the main carriers at BRS) whether you will be left to fend for yourself at a foreign airport.

So much so that we are holidaying in Switzerland this year and travelling out and back by train when normally we would have flown which would in fact have been considerably cheaper.

We haven't completely given up on air travel or BRS but if the airport carries on with its what to us are money-grabbing measures we may review our outlook. It's not the amount - we could well afford a fiver each if we felt the need to be fast-tracked - but the principle.

I accept this is a personal view but I suspect that others in our position may think likewise.

I shall let the airport management have my opinion on the reported security initiative as soon as they are announced officially.

The Weston Mercury - Passengers to fly through security queues (http://www.thewestonmercury.co.uk/content/twm/news/story.aspx?brand=westonmercury&category=news&tBrand=westonmercury&tCategory=znews&itemid=WeED21%20Jul%202008%2013%3A04%3A47%3A017)

Bristol based Taffy
23rd Jul 2008, 18:40
Totally agree with M.V.

whilst not a 'regular' user of BRS, I've certainly come to regard it as 'first' choice whilst searching for flights.

Think the management at BRS should read M.V.'s posting and rapidly put the idea of an additional charge for fast tracking security to bed.

Talk about killing the goose etc :ugh::ugh::ugh:

MerchantVenturer
24th Jul 2008, 20:43
BbT, there is now an item on the airport's website confirming the newspaper report I mentioned at #684.

The airport justifies the initiative in this way: The introduction of Fly Thru follows research showing 60 per cent of business passengers would consider using a service designed to speed their progress to the departure lounge.

Being an old cynic I cannot help thinking that the 'normal' security queues will operate at a slower speed than they might need to in order to attract punters to the fast-track scheme.

I've got nothing further to add on this. I'm still considerably less than impressed.

Confirmed Must Ride
25th Jul 2008, 08:23
The problem is that whilst you might not have to queue initially, as soon as you get round the corner you find that they feed all the 'normal' passengers into the 'fasttrack' lane to use the same x-ray machines.

Capt Alcock
25th Jul 2008, 08:27
Average security Qs at Bristol have been reduced to less than 7 mins from the 20 mins or so last year and 40 mins in March.

I think management are responding to customers/passengers' needs - so if you want fast track - you can buy a biz class ticket or now you can buy fly thru. I was told by mgmt that Pax asking why they can buy easy "speedy board" (of course in BRS case it's "speedy bus"!) but couldn't use fast track.

Given that 20% of BRS traffic on business and 75% loco then easy to see there is going to be a market to serve. So a significant number of biz pax are flying loco and they are probably prepared to pay. What's the difference between that and say first class and standard class on the same train. It's called choice. I personally don't want to pay £500 to go biz class and fast track to Paris or wherever some do but If I could improve my journey by having some paid for improvements I would.

The key for BRS is not to let main Qs return to the bad days of only a few months ago.

CA

symphonyangel
26th Jul 2008, 21:20
The Fast Lane security channel has been running at Liverpool since July 7th last year. It operates no differently than fast track at say Manchester Airport where you do also go through the same equipment and cut to the front of the queue. Only difference is at Manchester and other airports you have to buy it as part of a so-called Business Class ticket whereas at Liverpool and now Bristol you can buy it separately.
The process is just like eurodisney and following Liverpool's success with it it was only a matter of time before others offered this service. Works because the standard queue is no worse in queue time than it was prior to fast lane. Nice to have choice. But maybe £5 is too expensive to get significant take-up.

Bristol_Traveller
26th Jul 2008, 21:26
I think £5 might be a bit ambitious for the leisure traveller who wants to cut the corner off security, and jump in on scanner #1.

It might appeal to the business travellers on EZY who also pay for speedy boarding. Knowing that you can check in on-line, and turn up 30 minutes prior to the flight is reasonably valuable at 07:00 when you're only off to EDI or GLA for the day.

It would appear that *G fliers get a Fast Track sticker when flying on a *A airline. Myself (*G) and Mrs. BT (*S) were stickered when flying on SK a couple of weeks ago.

Mind you (as noted above), when we fly LH we appear to be paying £20 more for the privilege of using the same facilities, so maybe it's only fair?

mustrum_ridcully
26th Jul 2008, 21:54
I travel a lot through BRS and I'd be more than happy to pay £5 (even out of my own pocket) especially for those early morning flights, check-in online, get into the building 5-10 before boarding, jump the queue. I think an extra half hour in bed when catching a 6-7am flight is worth £5, I'm based in Cardiff so you can imagine what time I have to get up at.

WATABENCH
31st Jul 2008, 19:45
Just read that the FCA BRS-SFB delayed the other day went direct to SFB? Is this true? I bet that made an intresting take off, I'm suprised it made it especially given the humidity recently. Surely if it can make it on one of the hottest days of the summer it could do it other times as well?

Ranger 1
1st Aug 2008, 21:13
Yup it did go direct, the figures added up ok for 09 & the take off..... I was told it was not Spectacular at all, the main gear left the runway just past Hold D.
:ok:

WATABENCH
1st Aug 2008, 21:55
Well fair play to them, full power take off maybe? No bloody excuses now then ha ha, its been done and dusted on the shorter runway, and proves BRS to east coast USA on a wide body can be done direct, I would say thats a good day for BRS!

Tom the Tenor
2nd Aug 2008, 22:02
Any photo available of the the FCA takeoff direct to SFB?

An Air Atlanta 767 went direct to Dominican Republic ex Cork a few years ago on a once off golf charter. She was kind of all ready on the roll from the taxiway leading on to runway 17 and was airborne quite uneventfully with a good measure of concrete left behind her. Watching some MD80 takeoffs can be far more exhilirating and sometimes you simply dont know whether to duck or not! :}

Any idea of the airfield wx conditions at Bristol at the time of the FCA departure.

Thanks. Greetings from Cork. Great ramp at Cork tonight. Gave a boost to the flagging spirit.

WATABENCH
4th Aug 2008, 17:57
Just found this....

Bristol Airport is finalising plans for a wind turbine as part of the hubs plans to improve energy efficiency and cut its emissions. The airport wants to site a 20-metre (65-foot) turbine, lower than the airfield's light columns, between the old and new terminals. Feasibility studies on the turbine are under way as part of the airport's move to improve its green credentials as it prepares to massively expand its operations.

The turbine proposed would create about 1.5-million kilowatt hours of clean energy each year for the airport – about 10 percent of its total power usage. When the studies are complete, the airport will consult North Somerset Council to move the plans forward.

An airport spokesman said: ‘We understand the turbine may not need a planning application, but we are seeking clarification at the moment and hope to install the turbine before the end of the year. If the current plans are given the go ahead more turbines of the same size could be built.'

The airport is also keen to work with local companies on ways to enable cooking oil to be recycled into fuel for its ground operations vehicles. Restaurants and cafes at Bristol currently produce around 270 litres of waste cooking oil every week. A bio-mass boiler, which would burn waste from local timber merchants to heat the terminal, is also under consideration.

The plans come as the airport prepares its £80m expansion plans. In November, it will submit a detailed planning application to North Somerset Council in a bid to increase passenger numbers from six million a year at present to nine million a year by 2015. Flights to and from the hub make up 0.4 percent of the West's carbon emissions, and could rise to 0.7 percent by 2015 if the proposed expansion goes ahead.

I've also heard there will be a weekly tree hug on the common :E

Ranger 1
5th Aug 2008, 08:49
It would be nice to see some Solar Panels (Hot water / Electric) on the Terminal roof due to its optimum position. :ok:

Kellycsi
5th Aug 2008, 13:54
From the Evening Post Today

A passenger plane was forced to make an emergency landing at Bristol Airport this morning after pilots detected the smell of smoke in the cockpit.
The Lufthansa flight - LH2965 - which was carrying 31 passengers and 4 crew, took off from the airport at 6.30am but returned as a precautionary measure after reporting a technical problem.
Fire and ambulance services attended the scene, and all of those on board safely disembarked from the plane.
They are now being rebooked on later flights.
Lufthansa spokesman Dave Sanders said: “There was a technical issue that the pilot became aware of shortly after take-off, and he decided to return to the airport instead of continuing with his flight, landing safely at 7.09am.
“The pilot reported a smell of smoke in the cockpit. This could have been dust in the cockpit, but until an examination of the plane is carried out we can't be sure.”
Authorities were alerted and the emergency services were put on standby, following the standard procedure when an aircraft reports a potential technical fault.
Mr Sanders said: “At no point were any of the passengers in danger, and an engineer is due to come over from Germany today to examine the aircraft.”
Bristol Airport spokesman James Gore said: “The plane returned the airport when the crew reported a smell of smoke in the cockpit. All the passengers got off safely.”

Bristol_Traveller
5th Aug 2008, 14:25
Sounds like LH4965 (rather than LH2965...)

There's been an ongoing issue with 146's, and nasty smells entering the cockpit / cabin during t/off. IIRC, there's work going on now to work out what it is causing the problem; suggestions that it's due to the location of the air inlets relative to the engines.

I've certainly had a couple of smelly t/offs in 146's (not just LH's). Always safer to come back down again, but I don't think any of them have ever resulted in mid-air danger.

MerchantVenturer
7th Aug 2008, 21:42
If this turbine does need planning permission it will be interesting to see the reaction of North Somerset Council planning councillors who seem to view it as their sacred duty to oppose any planning application the airport submits.

They might have to wrestle with their ‘green consciences’ though, especially as up the coast in the neighbouring Bristol City Council area there are three huge turbines at Avonmouth Docks that are each six times the height of the proposed BRS one and they generate ten times the amount of energy. Furthermore, there is a big one on the Mendips just north of Wells.

KLM Cancellations

Lot’s of doom and gloom in the CWL thread about cancelled KLM flights.

It seems to me that BRS is suffering as much, if not more.

So far this week I have noticed the mid morning rotation (KL 1049/1050) cancelled on Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday. The last inbound of Tuesday night (KL 1057) did not operate which meant the early outbound on Wednesday (KL 1046) didn’t either, meaning the first outbound yesterday was the lunchtime departure.

Today I notice the teatime rotation (KL1053/1054) has been cancelled.

This is over 30% of the flights on the first four working days of this week.

I believe the problem lies mainly with the serviceability of the Fokker aircraft. Be that as it may, how can anyone rely on this airline with cancellations of this magnitude, particularly if AMS is being used as a hub for onward travel?

Goldilocks95
8th Aug 2008, 17:13
just read on another website that the budapest and rzeszow routes are going to be dropped from november/december. First Easyjet now Ryanair with that budapest flight going, is there ver going to be an airline that will fly to Budapest from BRS and not drop the route after a year?!!!

bravoromeosierra
8th Aug 2008, 20:24
I agree M.V.

I've been on a couple of transatlantic trip from BRS on the early morning KL flight, both were delayed. One with only minor delays (delayed to 06:45) and the other until 07:30. KLM staff have been great at AMS though both times.. especially when rebooking us.

MerchantVenturer
8th Aug 2008, 21:16
Goldilocks,

I don't think it's quite as bad as that.

Some weeks ago Ryanair announced it was suspending all flights to Basel, Budapest, Krakow, Palma, Rzeszow, Salzburg and Valencia between 4 November and 19 December.

The reason Ryanair gave was that these airports are amongst the most expensive in Europe (I assume it means of the airports Ryanair uses) and it cannot charge high enough fares to make them profitable in the off-peak winter season.

The airline also said these airports declined to reduce fees during the winter season, hence the suspensions.

Flights from BRS to both Budapest and Rzeszow are certainly bookable for January though not during the 'closed' period mentioned above. Ryanair don't fly from Bristol to the other airports involved.

NQYGuy,

There was a time when my wife and I used the KLM AMS connection for both Canada and the USA from BRS quite regularly and the service then was both reliable and of good quality, apart from baggage being mislaid at AMS on more than one occasion although it turned up within 24 hours.

I'm not sure I would be relaxed about using the KLM Cityhopper connection at the moment.

Welshtraveller
9th Aug 2008, 12:44
I will shortly be travelling on SN Brussels Airlines 15:15 flight to Split which departs every Saturday. The incoming aircraft used to arrive from Brussels but recently the flight does not appear on the arrival board. Is there a particular reason for this? Does the flight arrive empty or is the aircraft based in Bristol?

For the last month, the 15:15 Split flight always seems to be delayed, ranging from 45 minutes to 1 hour. I have just looked at the departure board today and once again it is delayed, estimated to depart at 16:02. Is there a particular reason for the constant delay on this flight? Thanks

Bristol_Traveller
10th Aug 2008, 09:11
I gave up on KL when I got with three cancellations in a row. When trying to do a day's work in Europe, it's no good if the 06:15 goes tech; by the time you get onto the midday flight, it's too late. I'd be furious if I lost a day in Asia or the States because of that.

I'm noticing more people with Flying Blue tags on the Lufthansa flights, but it takes a while for frequent fliers to change allegiances (although those wishing to might note that bmi has a generous status match policy for fliers from other alliances, and of course LH and BD are both *A airlines). And CO is heading for *A next year.

I wonder if KL are CANXing Bristol flights for reasons other than technical (or not directly related to the aircraft on the AMS-BRS route). If midday loads are low, maybe it's just cheaper to CANX and rebook people?

As for missing bags - I've lost count of the number of people who's bags haven't made it through AMS. But then, when you do the bus transfer from the apron to the terminal behind some of the luggage carts, you can see why bags disappear. Crazy driving.

Cloud1
10th Aug 2008, 09:45
I have to admit I hadn't noticed the number of KLM cancellations recently and fully understand why passengers are frustrated. However, without sounding too defensive of the airline because I have no links with them, aircraft do suffer from technical problems which cannot always been foreseen.

I agree with Bristol Traveller in that I would be annoyed if my plans were ruined but if there is a technical problem I would rather not get on the aircraft.

The airline I work for has never to this day cancelled a flight on the day of departure due to passenger numbers. I cannot say this will not happen with other carriers especially in the current climate and it would be worth contacting the CAA, as they can locate the exact cause from the carrier. If it is the commercial cancellation on the day you are entitled to compensation which whilst it wont get your day back, may contribute towards any other flight ticket you have to purchase to get to your destination.

Out of curiosity EasyJet dont operate to Amsterdam from BRS do they?

OltonPete
10th Aug 2008, 09:57
The other disappointing aspect in the short-term is that the provisional
EMB-190 schedule makes no reference to Bristol or Cardiff. This certainly
might have helped with reliability.

I was surprised at how quick they are coming online with EDI getting
a rotation in December and Manchester in the new year I believe.

I know the 190 is really a replacement for the F100 but I believe BRS
& CWL do have at least one flight a day each don't they?

I am not sure of the speed of delivery of the 190 but the schedules I
have seen only go up to the end of March.

Is it right that KLM intend to keep the F70's for a good few more years?

Pete

MerchantVenturer
10th Aug 2008, 12:08
Out of curiosity EasyJet dont operate to Amsterdam from BRS do they?

Yes, easyJet does operate a BRS-AMS service but only single-daily and apart from Saturday when it departs BRS during the late morning it is a mid/late afternoon rotation, so only of real use if you are spending at least a couple of days in the Netherlands.

I know the 190 is really a replacement for the F100 but I believe BRS
& CWL do have at least one flight a day each don't they?

As far as BRS is concerned whenever I've checked the apron website in recent weeks the aircraft invariably seem to be F 70s although I believe the 100 is rostered for some of the work and certainly appeared earlier in the summer at times.

Finally, the Red Arrows aircraft spent the night parked at BRS and are due to perform at the Bristol International Balloon Fiesta around 1600 today.

If anyone is in the area they might be interested to have a look.

Bristol_Traveller
10th Aug 2008, 15:46
KLM Canx - I'm not suggesting that KLM are deliberately canx'ing BRS flights. I wonder if, when their fleet is running tight with tech failures, they're allocating available aircraft to busier routes. It would be a sensible commercial decision.

AirFrance-KLM is relatively well represented at BRS. I wonder if anyone's been re-routed through CDG as a result of a AMS canx?

In any event, KL are gaining reputation for not flying, and that's not a good thing to have.

Standard Noise
10th Aug 2008, 18:33
Ah, you'll love this one........

Have you heard the one about the world renowned aerobatic team who wanted to park on the western apron at Bristol so they could have access to the ATC facilities but were told that they couldn't use the security gate beside the tower because they didn't have the requisite security passes? So they parked on the southside instead, where it appears, DfT aren't worried about security.

Dontcha just love the Dept for Tw*ts, sorry, I meant Dept for Transport.:ugh::ugh:

jpoldens
10th Aug 2008, 18:53
do any of the more established members have any info on new Bristol EasyJet routes based on the old GB airways' ones?
Especially interested in Bristol to Turkish, Greek and Canaries destinations.
It's only a hunch, and it may not happen in the current climate but it would seem a reasonable business decision to use their main provincial hub when the economy picks up again, as the destinations are available.

WATABENCH
11th Aug 2008, 18:46
The only route GB did from BRS was TFS, but they dropped this before the EZY buy out i believe. So cant see anything to those areas coming from BRS, although I often think ATH and IST might of done well.

airvanman
12th Aug 2008, 03:52
I see TCX are having yet more bad luck and GTDL is tech in BJV i/b BRS 15 hours late. I take it the crew need some Zzzs. Yet again an old MYT bus let's them down.

Why bods go abroad stumps me with this kind of grief? They should stay here for our lovely summers! ;)

brs planespotter
12th Aug 2008, 18:29
any idea whats wrong with the above a/c?or is it just a night stop for the crew too get minimum rest?ya and ed are now about 1hr 30 behind at the mo!regards brs planespotter:O

yeo valley
21st Aug 2008, 21:45
it looks like the airport is going up for sale, as the australian owners are looking to boost there profits,as it looks like they will make a loss. all european airports they own are being sold off.thats according to the local bristol paper.

MerchantVenturer
21st Aug 2008, 22:08
It is reported that Macquarie Airports (MAp) posted a 'solid set of passenger traffic results' across its core portfolio in July, despite a weakening of short-haul European traffic, which hit Copenhagen Airport in particular.

MAp Chief Executive Officer Kerrie Mather said: “The value of the traffic diversity amongst MAp’s airports is being demonstrated. While there is a general softening in the European short haul market, the combination of Sydney’s continued growth, Brussels’ increased long haul offering and low cost international traffic at Bristol is ensuring that MAp’s core portfolio continues to deliver solid growth."

I haven't read the newspaper report to which you refer. If it turns out to be true maybe the growth is not as solid as MAp would wish.

Addendum

I have had a look through the financial press and it seems that MAp posted a first-half loss this year and announced it would reduce its stakes in two airports to cut debt. The announcement apparently sent its share price up nearly 10 percent.

The airports concerned are Copenhagen and Brussels and MAp is to sell around a quarter of its stake in each to another Macquarie fund.

I can find no mention that Bristol is involved in a sale or reduced stake.

In fact, although BRS is owned by Macquarie the set-up is slightly complicated and I can do no better than reproduce the ownership details as set out in the airport's own website.

Bristol International Airport is 100% owned by South West Airports Limited (SWAL), a joint venture holding company owned by Bristol Airport (Bermuda) Limited (BABL) and Macquarie European Infrastructure Fund (MEIF). Both BABL and MEIF are managed by Macquarie Capital Funds (Europe) Limited (MCFEL), a subsidiary of Macquarie Group Limited.

Standard Noise
22nd Aug 2008, 12:37
They could increase pax throughput at both BRS and CPH by persuading on of the airlines to set that route up again. That part of Europe is badly (or not at all, depending on how you look at it) served by the operators at Brizzel. Having spent some time in southern Sweden this year, it's a shame we only have a summer route to Stockholm, which is a bit far north.

Mind you, I'd have thought that Malmo was right up Ryanair's street, anyone for Copenhagen-Sturup?

MV - that last paragraph of yours explains why I'm an ATCO and not a businessman, it was all Greek to me!

en2r
22nd Aug 2008, 12:51
Mind you, I'd have thought that Malmo was right up Ryanair's street, anyone for Copenhagen-Sturup?
Ryanair had a sizeable operation at Malmo-Sturup with 6 or 7 routes. However they axed all routes to/from Malmo on 31 October 2007. I think they had a dispute with the airport authority over charges.

Bristol_Traveller
22nd Aug 2008, 20:06
Bristol International Airport is 100% owned by South West Airports Limited (SWAL), a joint venture holding company owned by Bristol Airport (Bermuda) Limited (BABL) and Macquarie European Infrastructure Fund (MEIF). Both BABL and MEIF are managed by Macquarie Capital Funds (Europe) Limited (MCFEL), a subsidiary of Macquarie Group Limited.

MacBank are legendary for their labyrinthine accounting, to the extent where probably only MacBank knows what MacBank owns.

Some of their businesses are getting really walloped in the credit crunch. Broadly speaking, their businesses are massively leveraged, which is like taking out a massive mortgage against the value of the airport, probably to go and buy another airport. That's all fine and dandy whilst the revenue from the airport can keep up with the interest payments, and the airport value remains above that of the original price.

That's usually why MacBank businesses are so obsessed with cashflow - which is why they don't mind big building projects, but hate putting staff into operations, or cleaning things and so on.

I would guess that Bristol is still throwing off lots of cash - it's got relatively big passenger volumes, for a relatively small infrastructure cost. I'm guessing the cashflow from the airport is worth more than trying to get a lump-sum by selling it (particularly as it appears to be a buyers market for airports at the moment).

So my take is that MacBank will hold onto Bristol, as long as Easyjet and Ryanair and Charters keep the terminal packed to the gunwhales.

ATCO1987
25th Aug 2008, 10:19
Have you heard the one about the world renowned aerobatic team who wanted to park on the western apron at Bristol so they could have access to the ATC facilities but were told that they couldn't use the security gate beside the tower because they didn't have the requisite security passes? So they parked on the southside instead, where it appears, DfT aren't worried about security.

Dontcha just love the Dept for Tw*ts, sorry, I meant Dept for Transport

Noisy, this would be because the Southside is in the Controlled Zone as opposed to the Restricted Zone (which requires a valid pass and full search). Bottom line, no doubt, was probably avoiding paperwork!

WATABENCH
26th Aug 2008, 09:40
Forced landing for Ryanair flight

Ryanair said the plane landed at Limoges as a "safety precaution"
A Ryanair flight carrying British holidaymakers has been forced to make an unscheduled landing due to a loss of cabin pressure, the company has said.

Flight FR9336 from Bristol to Barcelona Girona airport was diverted to Limoges, central France, on Monday night.

In total, 16 passengers were taken to hospital with earache.

In a separate incident, on Tuesday a Ryanair flight from Liverpool to Sardinia was diverted to Stansted following a minor technical problem.

Passengers on flight FR9642 from Liverpool to Alghero were transferred to a replacement aircraft.

'Safety precaution'

In a statement posted on its website, Ryanair said the loss of pressure "caused the oxygen masks on board to deploy".

"As a safety precaution the captain descended and diverted the aircraft to Limoges Airport at approximately 2330 local French time," the company said.

"All 168 passengers disembarked safely upon landing.

"A total of 16 passengers together with five accompanying family members have been transferred, at their request, to a local hospital complaining of earache.

"As a precaution, Limoges Airport have arranged a local doctor to be available to any other passengers should they require."

Arctic explorer Pen Hadow, who was on the flight with his family, told BBC News they had had no warning, "it just suddenly happened".

And when he had put on his mask, there had been "no oxygen flow coming through the line".

Mr Hadow, who became the first man to walk unaided to the North Pole in 2003, was also critical of a lack of communication by cabin crew and Ryanair ground staff.

"It was unfortunate that, for whatever reasons, the flight crew were not able to talk to any of us," he told BBC News.

"We really didn't see them during the main situation at all. They didn't say anything, they weren't visible. We have not heard a squeak.

"No-one at Ryanair... there was no physical presence and absolutely no sense of any sort of frontline communication with us.

"Some people thought we were going to die - that is how frightening it was. The woman sitting in the seats in front of us was whimpering.

"We have been through a genuine life-threatening emergency. The runway had fire engines all the way down the line, this was a full-on situation."

Ryanair's chief executive Michael O'Leary denied reports by passengers that their oxygen masks had not been working.

"Passengers sometimes misunderstand and expect there's going to be a surge of oxygen, when in actual fact there's simply a steady stream of oxygen," he said.

"I've been in one of these myself. The oxygen masks were working, the correct safety procedures were followed."

Passengers also complained that the flight crew failed to tell them immediately why the aircraft was descending so quickly.

Mr O' Leary said passengers had not been told immediately why the aircraft was descending so quickly because safety had been the crew's priority.

"We have to require that the pilots and the cabin crew deploy their oxygen masks and they can't be making PA announcements while they have their oxygen masks on," he said.

"As the passengers confirmed the pilot did make an announcement once he got down to 8,000ft, when it's safe to take oxygen masks off."

Ryanair said a replacement aircraft had been flown from Stansted Airport to Limoges and had taken the remaining passengers to Barcelona.

A Ryanair spokesman could not confirm how many passengers, other than those attending hospital, had chosen not to fly.

Ranger 1
26th Aug 2008, 13:06
Not happy with the term Forced Landing, more like a precautionary landing.:rolleyes:

Bristol based Taffy
26th Aug 2008, 15:52
As the quotes came from the Bristol Evening Post, use of the term 'forced landing' is probably the best to be expected :ugh:

Still whilst understandably 'scarey' much prefer to go down rapidly and immediately rather than wait for full technical explanation from flight deck crew as to what was happening and what they were about to do whilst slowly falling asleep
FOR GOOD!!! :eek:
Not sure of actual time limitations on lack of O2 at usual cruising flight levels, but understand it's not very long before it has a major effect :sad:

Well done crew.

santito
26th Aug 2008, 20:35
I was on a Brussels Airlines flight back in April and we had to make an emergency decent due to cabin depressurisation (Masks came down). Landed at Bristol safely. Did it ever make it on to the news?

Bristol_Traveller
26th Aug 2008, 20:40
I've just been trying to book some BRS-FRA flights on LH in November, and come across a rather dramatic reduction in service.

By the looks of things, the Winter plan is:
M/T/W/Th - 3 rotations
F - 1.5 rotations (LH4965 / 4962 / 4963) - no midday rotation, only one early evening flight FRA-BRS
Sa - no flights
Su - 0.5 rotation (LH4964) - one early evening FRA-BRS (presumably as crew/aircraft positioning for BRS-FRA on Monday morning)

That's not a good indication, and so relatively soon in the route's life.

The Friday reductions are really going to hurt, with the only FRA-BRS flight leaving at 17:35. The later morning departures from BRS (at 07:00) mean losing some connections at FRA too.

By the looks of things, this is cutting back on the amount of crew overnights in Bristol (no overnighting on Friday or Saturday, and only one crew overnighting on Sunday), as well as cutting back on 6 rotations a week).

I know things are tough out there, but I would have thought the route needed more than 6 months to bed in?

Didn't BRS-DUS launch just at the beginning of an economic downturn, and not last long? Let's hope this won't be a repeat event....

santito
26th Aug 2008, 20:41
I was on a Brussels Airlines flight back in April and we had to make an emergency decent due to cabin depressurisation (Masks came down). Landed at Bristol safely. Did it ever make it on to the news?

MerchantVenturer
26th Aug 2008, 21:37
B_T

I was half expecting a reduction to two daily rotations for the entire week this winter.

Monthly passenger figures this summer seem to have settled down to between 9,000 and 10,000, giving an average load in the 50s. Not sensational but if the high fares that were being thrown up on the LH booking engine were actually paid by some people maybe decent money was being made.

The last DUS initiative was that of BACon and it went the way of all BACon routes from BRS in the spring of last year when Flybe decided to axe the lot. The DUS had been operating less than a year.

KLM Cityhopper usually take out a daily rotation for part of the winter. They did last year and I think they intend doing so this coming winter.

andy_smith89uk
26th Aug 2008, 22:12
I'm on an LH BRS-FRA in Nov which has now been re-scheduled FOUR times! Only fairly minor time changes, and the latest version is in my favour as I now have 1hr to connect in FRA as opposed to the original 45m (which would've been tight, I know...)

But they are clearly not yet 100% sure about their Winter schedule on this route!

2J&D
27th Aug 2008, 10:13
Do you think they possibly went in using the wrong aircraft? As MV mentioned average loads are around the 50's and i can't help but think that maybe they should have used a CRJ, versus the BAE which has another 30-40 seats....

Whilst the reduction appears a bit sudden, it is good to see that it is not a more severe cut and maybe LH can already see enough of a pattern to start to 'trim' the route to be more economical.

At least it has not been dropped all together.

Bristol_Traveller
27th Aug 2008, 11:36
My experience is that ~50 pax is usual for the route, and there's usually one or two in business. Once or twice the flight has been full (overbooked, even), so I guess the cost saving on using a CRJ isn't substantial enough to justify it being the norm.

The two things that are concerning me:
* No LH4964 from FRA-BRS on Friday evening - that's really going to make it difficult to do any work in Europe on a Friday. (I don't mind the loss of the mid-day rotation, which I suspect exists mainly to catapult a crew in for the following day's first flight).
* No flights to FRA at the weekend. That's going to hit my leisure travel a fair bit. If they do put in a Friday evening flight FRA-BRS, it makes sense to send it back as LH4961 min-morning on Saturday (which allows the same crew to work it back as came out on Friday night).

I've written to LH asking if they'll look again at these two issues, and fingers crossed...

Obviously, the other explanation is that the crew have been down to the Centre in Bristol on a Saturday night, and no longer want to be anywhere near the place at the weekend....

Standard Noise
29th Aug 2008, 19:38
Noisy, this would be because the Southside is in the Controlled Zone as opposed to the Restricted Zone (which requires a valid pass and a full search). Bottom line, no doubt, was probably avoiding paperwork!

That's a pathetic excuse mate, and you know it. We're not talking a few numpties in Extras or a foreign mil crew. These guys couldn't be less of a risk to security considering that after their sojourn in their present job, they'll be flying front line fighters defending this country.
What will the Dept for Tw4ts do if a Fat Albert divs into Briss and has to sit on 30L cos it's tech? They'll have a pink fit "oh I'm terribly sorry chaps but you can't have your Herkybird back as it happens to be in the Restricted Zone."

ATCO1987
2nd Sep 2008, 11:45
Absolutely, I agree, not a risk at all. However I am just taking a guess that it had something to do with avoiding paperwork. But yes, they should have been allowed access on their own passes imho.

MerchantVenturer
2nd Sep 2008, 13:05
Ryanair have announced a Saturday flight to Grenoble during the ski season.

This is the first time they have gone head to head from BRS on a route with easyJet who fly 3 x weekly to Grenoble during the ski season, although Ryanair fly to their versions of Barcelona (Girona) and Milan (Bergamo) against easyjet's services to Barcelona and Milan Malpensa.

The head to head to Grenoble is obviously small beer at 1 x weekly from FR but I wonder if it is an indication of things to come.

Standard Noise
2nd Sep 2008, 16:53
Seeing Mo'L on the tube the other night (Tonight, ITV) talking about what the short term future holds, I suppose all bets are off if he wants to keep cash rolling in. Maybe he sees pound signs and wants to test the waters. The 'ski set' often have more disposable than other travellers and I suppose £5 for a set of skis each way (170 pax x £10) adds up!

WATABENCH
3rd Sep 2008, 20:44
Does anybody know why Baboo airlines(Swiss company) were in BRS today?

Dan B.
4th Sep 2008, 08:45
Replacement for Air France

MerchantVenturer
5th Sep 2008, 21:29
Having read in other threads of some quite severe culling of routes/rotations by low cost airlines at other airports I thought I’d have a look at Bristol.

easyJet has reduced rotations on a number of routes this winter compared with previous winters, notably Alicante and Malaga that have reduced to single daily for much of the winter from double daily year-round in the past except for January when some rotations have not operated in previous winters.

Other routes that have usually been daily such as Barcelona, Madrid and Berlin Schoenfeld have all been reduced by one or two rotations a week, certainly for January and early February.

Some of the domestic routes to Scotland, Belfast International and Newcastle have also lost a rotation on some midweek days.

An exact rundown is difficult because the website timetable often bears little resemblance to what is available in the booking engine. Furthermore, the web timetable still shows a winter period running from 28 October 2007 to 29 March 2008 on each destination page, although the actual timetables are clearly annotated for winter 2008/2009.

Warsaw has been axed for the winter and Lisbon is not bookable after mid November, although both remain as operating in the web timetable at present (an easyJet spokewoman told the local paper this week that the Warsaw route is axed for the winter but didn’t mention the Lisbon).

Both these routes had monthly load factors well into the 90s% in July and have had excellent loads from the start. One assumes the costs of running them this winter will outweigh even well-filled aircraft.

Interestingly though, easyJet continues to operate the Milan Malpensa daily throughout the winter in competition with Ryanair’s daily Bergamo. easy’s Malpensa route has consistently carried much lower load factors than their Warsaw and Lisbon flights. Equally, FR’s Bergamo route is not a sensational performer and in July returned a lf of only 73%. Is this a case of neither carrier being willing to give best to the other even if it costs them money in the meantime?

Ryanair has axed the 4x weekly Derry flight this winter which is probably not a surprise as it was the worst performing of Ryanair’s routes from BRS in passenger number terms.

With the new routes to Marrakech, Gdansk, Szczecin and Grenoble there is still sufficient work for two based aircraft each day, and GRO, SNN and DUB continue to be operated by aircraft from other bases.

The local paper carried a report of local business people gnashing their teeth because the FR Porto route has gone for the winter. A Ryanair spokesman said it would return in April for the summer season. The paper also asserted that Ryanair aims to be the largest carrier operating from BRS. Hmm……we will see.

At least all this will mean a bit more room in the departure lounge this winter and will probably mean a fall in passenger numbers at the airport for the first time in many, many winters, possibly for nearly two decades.

Bristol based Taffy
6th Sep 2008, 07:28
Have to concur with M.V.

Next year will be interesting times for regional airports in the U.K. Possibilities of further reductions can't be discounted, but at least BRS hasn't lost any of it's major players....YET :rolleyes:
Unlike poor CWL with the demise of Zoom, and seemingly Air Transat not interested in setting up at CWL but increasing availabilty at other regionals.

On a slightly different note,M.V.

I don't suppose you go by the name of Mendipman when replying to news threads on BEP, as the content is of a very similar vein to your concise and sensible comments on here. ;)

Bristol_Traveller
6th Sep 2008, 10:57
Have received a reply from LH on the BRS-FRA reductions in the Winter timetable.

As expected, it largely talks about balancing supply and demand on routes, but they tell me that my question about a Friday night FRA-BRS and Saturday mid-morning BRS-FRA is going to be passed onto the Operations department in Frankfurt for a review.

Also - has the departure tax from BRS gone up? It always used to be about £15-£16, but some recent tickets had it at £18.42? (Or am I suffering from a poor £-€-£ conversion).

HEADWAY
7th Sep 2008, 09:16
Does anyone know any more about the walkway? I've heard that they have lowered the height and this could pass planning approval?

WATABENCH
7th Sep 2008, 10:53
Not heard anything about walkway, but does anyone not think that seeming they've already extended the 2nd floor over the arrivals area now, that they may as well continue it over the rest of the terminal, would create a lot more space for capacity reasons?
Also Globespan to YHM still not on sale for nexy summer, guessing that its not returning then, with the loss of Zoom at CWL that only leaves lucky little EXT with Canada routes from the region.

Bristol based Taffy
7th Sep 2008, 11:50
With regard to the expansion, and this is directed to those with far more knowledge than me (M.V.) :O

Does the airport require planning permission to build up over the extended check in area??

Also what's happened with the wind turbine request?

Can just see the nimbys at parish council running round trying to find good excuses for it to be refused!!! := :=

Meanwhile the expansion of Royal Portbury docks is greeted imense pride and pleasure within local councils. :ugh:

WATABENCH
7th Sep 2008, 11:53
I'm sure they already have permission to go above the 2nd check in hall, think it was granted when it was built as it was supposed to be tempory structure or something daft like that, but i think a 2nd floor over the main check in would be a good idea.

ATCO1987
7th Sep 2008, 12:52
I believe extending the floor over the checkin area is on the cards...

Also, tomorrow, the newly developed terminal forecourt should be operational with rising bollards aswell as barriers. Watch out all ye tailgaters who don't read signs...!

Bristol based Taffy
7th Sep 2008, 13:58
Oh errr

Can see a big front page spread in the BEP when the first car gets stuck on these!!!

:E:E:E

ATCO1987
7th Sep 2008, 14:20
Not to worry, if/when it happens, it'll be their own fault. Plenty of signage around... But as we all know, passengers don't read signs :)

WATABENCH
7th Sep 2008, 15:49
Well if they're going to do it(2nd floor extention), now would be a good time to get the ball rolling with winter around the corner. Shame BRS has lost a Canada route, may be the BRS - Canada curse has scared them off? :eek:

Bristol based Taffy
7th Sep 2008, 20:28
If it wasn't for the economic woes affecting so many of the major and minor airlines, I think that BRS - Canada (preferably YYZ) would have been very likely to have succeeded, especially with the visible success of BRS -EWR.

It's just a shame that A.C. don't have a similar aircraft in payload and size to CO's 757.

I believe that Air Transat have got rid of theirs.....

Let's hope that once the economic down turn points upwards again things might look a little rosier :O

MerchantVenturer
7th Sep 2008, 21:00
The airport endeavoured to build the walkway under the provisions of the Town and Country Planning (General Permitted Development) Order 1995 on the basis that it was ‘permitted development’ not requiring planning consent under this Order as its design did not increase the terminal floor space which had previously been increased in size by the allowed 15% from the original – mainly the check-in extension on the eastern side of the terminal building.

The planning committee of North Somerset Council disagreed and told the airport it would have to submit a full planning application despite the council’s own professional planning officer agreeing with the airport’s view. Whether the airport is to appeal against the planning committee’s edict or whether it is considering an amended walkway design that it thinks the council will agree is permitted development I don’t know.

The relevant legislation can be found at this link.

http://www.opsi.gov.uk/si/si1995/Uksi_19950418_en_4.htm#IDAYVG3D

It will be seen that floor space is calculated by external measurement so I suppose the airport could extend some more of the intermediate-level floor area as permitted development (presumably this is how they have been able to extend part of the floor area above the departure lounge and expand the security zone, but I'm not an expert so stand to be corrected).

However, this would do nothing to address the walkway which is needed to assist in the quick turn-rounds of aircraft on the western apron without the need for buses. It would also in my view lead to an unpleasant environment and somewhat claustrophobic atmosphere for those people below .

As for the Globespan Hamilton route, I recall there was a lot of disappointment on this message board when it transpired this was to be the route and carrier to service the ‘Toronto’ service that had been hinted at by the airport a week or two beforehand.

Published loads so far haven’t set the world on fire, perhaps partly because of the Ryanairesque nature of the ‘Toronto’ airport involved, the adverse publicity the carrier received nationwide earlier this year and the split route both ways. That said, EXT did a bit better, passenger-wise, with a similar set-up last year even though it had a competing Transat route to Toronto Pearson.

I smile wryly to myself when I read some Cardiff aficionados speculating whether Globespan might ‘transfer’ its Hamilton route to there. When the BRS-YHM route was announced there was comment from across the Severn pouring scorn on the idea of a 757 to a place like Hamilton when one could fly wide-bodied to ‘proper’ Toronto from there.

I could see some merit in that opinion but I suppose changing circumstances alter views.

bristolflyer
7th Sep 2008, 23:41
The airport can expand internally without the need for planning permission, therefore the area above the main check-in area and the two voids in the departure lounge could be used to install a new floor. The area above the check-in extension could not be used because that is external. It was originally proposed to incorporate the extension into the terminal when the masterplan was released. The planning application under the masterplan is due in November, but whether this occurs is debateable. I suspect the plan will be quite low-key with the airport looking to maximise existing space in the terminal rather than extend, some more parking, a travelodge style hotel and the walkway. I doubt it will be the rather grand vision of the masterplan with airbridges and all. With reference to the walkway it could not increase terminal capacity, i.e. there could be no seats in the structure, in order to qualify for permitted development. I wonder if the car competition platform in departures was put in to reduce the number of seats/capacity in the terminal in order to give the application another go!

WATABENCH
10th Sep 2008, 13:10
Globespan YHM heading over the bridge for summer 09 :oh:

WATABENCH
13th Sep 2008, 11:15
Monarch visiting BRS tonight, unfortunatly its a rescue flight for XLA but thought spotters might be intrested as we dont see them very often. I/B from RHO I believe.

flyerboy
13th Sep 2008, 12:39
Monarch callsign and flight number but aircraft is actually 757 of Euroatlantic that has been doing a couple of flights for Thomas Cook

Cloud1
13th Sep 2008, 18:33
I have not seen any Monarch flight numbers in so how is it possible to have Monarch using their flight numbers to have operated a couple of TCX flights??? I think it is more a rescue flight for XLA as previously advised - this would fit in with the wording on their website:
MON 605 RHODES 2155 Repatriation
and tomorrow:

FCA 7685 LAS PALMAS 0555
MON 631 KOS 0620 Repatriation
TCX 713 LAS PALMAS 0655

EZY 444 BELFAST INTL 0805

flyerboy
13th Sep 2008, 19:00
I never stated it was doing a flight for Thomas Cook tonight.If you were in or around BRS, which surprisingly most Bristol spotters are, you would know that Euroatlantic have done a few sub charters for Thomas Cook whilst their A320s have been tech. It is doing repatriation flights all with MON callsigns and XLA flight numbers until 22nd September. Hope this is clearer

danielhobbs
14th Sep 2008, 13:21
The 757 was CS-TFK. Here are some pictures i took of it departing yesterday afternoon.

http://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e353/hobbsieoz/CS-TFK2.jpg

http://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e353/hobbsieoz/CS-TFK3.jpg

http://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e353/hobbsieoz/CS-TFK4.jpg

http://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e353/hobbsieoz/CS-TFK5.jpg

And the grounded XL aircraft
http://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e353/hobbsieoz/XL.jpg

Cloud1
14th Sep 2008, 15:22
YOU stated that the B757 had been doing flights for Thomas Cook using Monarch flight numbers. I stated that this had not been noted by me and I am very much a Bristol Airport 'enthusiast' (prefer that to 'spotter') I am not getting into an argument......it was a simple comment :rolleyes: (no need for sarcasm either thank you.)

On a separate note why are TCX having so many probs with their A320s. Delays have been ranging between 2 and 6 hours lately......a Titan 757 was subbed in a couple of weeks back to and from Palma.

WATABENCH
14th Sep 2008, 17:37
I see by these pics that BIA has put a vehicle infront and behind of the XLA aircraft, "anything BAA do" whats the point? seriously? get over yourselves, its not like anybody withan XL pass or any other pass is going to go airside, grab some steps, open up the aircraft, start it up, taxi out and take off!! Its just ridiculous over kill in the circumstances :rolleyes:

Centre cities
14th Sep 2008, 17:51
Wasnt a dodgy 707 stolen from Bristol once whilst impounded.

Seem to remember something about it from the dim past, or was it just made up.

The blocking in may be something required in civil law to lay claim. Just guess but i am sure somebody can tell me why.

Centre cities

WATABENCH
14th Sep 2008, 18:06
That would explain it CC, however have seen some at certain airports blocked in and others not. Be intresting to see somebody try to nick the XL, maybe the CAA will insist on Clifford thatchem approved alarms being fitted in the future :}
Best wishes to all at XL BRS base, I'm sure I speak for everyone at BRS both handling agents and airlines when saying, it's a nasty situation and I hope you all can find work as soon as possible, our thoughts are with you all :ok:

Suzeman
14th Sep 2008, 20:44
Wasnt a dodgy 707 stolen from Bristol once whilst impounded.

I think you are correct and I think it was in the late 70s. Seem vaguely to remember that it hit the peri fence and / or took some approach lights when it went out. :ooh:

It is quite common practice for airports to block aircraft in when they have been impounded to prevent aircraft departing without money being paid.

Suzeman