PDA

View Full Version : KAS operator in Central Africa

Heli-Jet
26th Jun 2007, 15:41
Does anyone know much about this company and their HS125 operation?? I hear they are looking for pilots and engineers

Heli-Jet
27th Jun 2007, 15:18
Found jobs advertised in www.climbto350 (http://www.climbto350) for B1900 captains and FO's in DRC, King Air 200 captains and FO's in DRC and Sudan, HS125 Captain in DRC

Does anyone know if these jobs are for the UN

Heli-Jet
27th Jun 2007, 16:11
King Air Charter is a sister Company to King Air Services whose main thrust since 1991 has been aircraft and helicopter leasing for United Nations Agencies and Airlines within the African region.

Does anybody know what they pay their pilots and engineers.?
What is their maintenance like if they are in places like the DRC and Sudan.?
Do they have Hangars and maintenance equipment in these places, or are they a bush type operator?
What are their accommodation facilities like?
Do these guys pay on time?
What are their training standards?

Heli-Jet
27th Jun 2007, 16:46
Rescuers have found bodies of three people in the wreckage of a South Africa (http://english.peopledaily.com.cn/data/southAfrica.html)n registered plane that crashed in Uganda (http://english.peopledaily.com.cn/data/uganda.html) last week, the United Nations (UN) World Food Program (WFP) said on Friday.
"A rescue team today (Friday) identified aircraft wreckage high up in Uganda's Rwenzori Mountains as the remains of a WFP- chartered light plane missing for a week, and found three bodies at the crash site," the WFP said in a statement to media.
On board the single-engined Cessna Caravan were the South African pilot and his wife, also a South African, and the co-pilot, a dual national of France (http://english.peopledaily.com.cn/data/france.html)and Canada (http://english.peopledaily.com.cn/data/canada.html).
"We mourn those who perished flying relief supplies for people driven from their homes by conflict in eastern DR Congo," WFP Executive Director James Morris said through the statement, expressing his condolences to the families of the dead and King Air Services, the South African operator.
The plane lost radio contact on April 28 during a flight in the eastern Democratic Republic of Congo. It was traveling from the country's eastern city of Goma to Bunia.
Rescuers aboard a UN search helicopter sighted the wreckage on the Ugandan side of the mountainous border on April 30. But they were unable to land near the crash site, which is at 3,600 meters altitude.
"The team took three days to reach the crash site on foot because of bad weather and the very difficult terrain," the WFP said.
Local guides and park rangers accompanied the team on the grueling trip into the mountains at the request of the Ugandan Civil Aviation Authority. The WFP and the UN mission in the DRC were providing logistical support for the team.
An investigation was being set up to determine the cause of the crash.
South Africa's foreign ministry said on Friday that arrangements were being made for the bodies of the two South Africans to be repatriated.
"The (South African) government extends its condolences to members of the bereaved families whilst extending its gratitude to the Ugandan civil aviation authorities for their assistance provided in the operation," said the ministry's spokesman Ronnie Mamoepa.
Source: Xinhua

Heli-Jet
27th Jun 2007, 17:11
Plane makes crash landing at Islamabad airport
Islamabad (http://www2.irna.com/en/news/menu-239/key-759/), March 14, IRNA
Pakistan (http://www2.irna.com/en/news/menu-239/key-5811/)-Crash Landing (http://www2.irna.com/en/news/menu-239/key-85620/)
A small plane, coming from Muscat, on Wednesday made a crash landing at Islamabad international airport when its front wheels could not open due to some technical fault, reports said.
However, all the passengers and crew members remained unhurt and they were evacuated safely.
The front portion of the aircraft was totally damaged after the crash landing.
The airport runway was closed for incoming and outgoing flights for about one-and-half hour.
The runway was opened after the rescue operation.
The plane developed technical fault while it was in the air and trying to land at the airport.
The plane belonged to a private company belonging to South Africa.
Source: Islamic Republic news agency

Heli-Jet
27th Jun 2007, 20:22
Two further Learjets fly in the exclusive order of the UN. Beside the homeland basis at the airport Nuremberg operates FAI on behalf the UN stations in Abidjan (the Ivory Coast) and Dakar (Senegal).

FAI
Captains - GBP8000 to GBP12000 per month plus per diems
F/O - GBP4000 to GBP8000 plus per diems

KAS
Captain ?????
F/O ??????

UNO Service Provider
FAI rent-a-jet AG provides since August 2004 an
important part of the logistical organization for the
UN peace keeping forces in West Africa on behalf of
the United Nations. FAI is until now the only
recognized German UN service provider in the area
of fixed wing aircraft. The company operates on
behalf of the UN a Learjet 35A based in Abidjan,
Ivory Coast. The aircraft serves the whole West
African region and has performed more than 500
flights until now.
Beyond this, in May 2005, FAI was included on the
list of agreed providers for civilian sectors of the UN
such as the World Food Program or the World
Health Organization.

Heli-Jet
1st Jul 2007, 15:16
Thanks for the PM's guys, you should post info yourselfs, turns out KAS operate out of Entebbe with 1 HS125 amd 1 HS125 in Kinshasa. Rotations 2 months in 1 month out

Captain $7500/2000(retainer on month out) per diems include in salary
F/O $4000/$0

Positive info for F/O's looking for a break

Great place for F/O's who have no time on any Bizjet.
1.5 hours training in Lanseria on a Viper HS125-400 and then straight out on the job. Training bond for 2 years

One of the few operators in Africa that pay on time

Heli-Jet
9th Jul 2007, 17:58
Can anyone help with Engineer salary in a war torn place like the DRC, what are the propects in the Congo. What are the hangar facilities like?

B200Drvr
13th Jul 2007, 06:30
1.5 hrs training and a two year bond :ok: Sounds like a bargain NOT!!!. A P1 rating on an 800A in ORL is $15000, 30+ hours in the sim. When will these clowns learn that 1.5 hrs is not a conversion? This is a 2 crew aeroplane.

Contract Dog
13th Jul 2007, 09:31
I would love to know where you get your info cos it is all BS

Dog

Heli-Jet
13th Jul 2007, 16:14
Contract Dog you are obviously employed by KAS so enlighten us to the facts. If you have read all the threads you will see that a source has been included at the bottom except for the PM's.

What is you training progam for the HS125. The guys who have worked for you said they got training on the viper in lanseria to get their P2 rating. Then sent to Kinshasa or Entebbe on the HS125 with the TFE engines to learn on the job with the captains.

Great opportunity when a guy has no jet time .... go KAS, good to see you guys are giving guys opportunities, can't say they will stick around when better jobs become available. Unless you have bonded them for 2 years.

So Dog give us the facts.

Contract Dog
13th Jul 2007, 20:00
Sorry heli, BS is a bit strong there. The fact is that only 4 crew in 4 years have been moved over to the HS. In general, the company takes on dct guys with time and ratings. There is talk of it all moving to some training school in the UK to do the sim training. It is a great oppurtunity for the guys but you have to be in the company for at least 5 years before they move you onto it so it is not as fantastic as it sounds.

B200, sorry to say but one of the best cojos I have flown with did a .4 conversion and the worst has done the whole 43 advanced deal???? what diff does it make? if the guy is good he or she is good. like i have said before, it is up to the pilot to know his/her a/c well. being spoon fed on a convex often gets in the way of that.

and yes heli, never once been under paid and never ever been paid late!

Dog

Heli-Jet
13th Jul 2007, 21:58
So Dog what you are saying is that you move guys from your 200's, 1900's and Gulfstream 1 aircraft, over to the HS125 as FO's. I guess all captains from the previously mentioned aircraft if they have been there for 5 years.

How do the salaries compare to FAI who run the same programme in Dakar and Abijan for the UN?

What maintenance facilities do you have in Kinshasa and Entebbe.

Do you use FSI or plan to use them in the UK for training on the HS125 for recurrent training?

Dog seriously, 0.4 hours for an intial as a P2 is a paper exercise especially if they come from the previously mentioned aircraft.

Do you have training bonds for the P2 on the HS125 with a 0.4 hour conversion?

Contract Dog
14th Jul 2007, 07:59
I dont fly the HS, and the .4 conversion was a Van cojo years ago, and he knocked the sox off a lot of the 43 advanced trained guys. I dont agree that it is right, but it does happen.

I cant answer your training Q at this stage but if I get to fly the thing I will let you know

Dog

B200Drvr
14th Jul 2007, 10:39
ContractDog,
You just dont get it, I do fly the HS and it is not a conversion it is a type rating, companies in SA have just been doing it wrong for to long. If you think that you can teach a P2 to fly an HS 125 in 1.4 then go ahead, I just hope your pax dont read that.

Heli-Jet
14th Jul 2007, 17:35
Contract Dog ... can you find out what the correct info is on the questions asked. Guess you must be flying the 1900 on your way up to the HS.

Another question, does your SACAA allow 1.5 hour P2 conversions to be done, surely they must get the paperwork on a HS125 type rating

Flight Data Recorder
14th Jul 2007, 20:33
Heli-Jet
Watch this space !!!:)
What happend at your interview with them ??:{

FDR

Heli-Jet
15th Jul 2007, 00:31
Sorry mate, sitting up in Nigeria, have a couple of mates in Nigeria and EG that are looking at HS125 jobs. Thought there might be a Minimum time requirement on BizJets, heard that KAS hires with no time on jets. Does a couple of hours training and set them loose as P2's not many outfits out there that give pilots a break like that.

It is always good to get the facts from guys who are working with the company or get previous hires info, as one never gets the bottom line from the company, when they hire.

So FDR how can you help with info??

Heli-Jet
28th Jul 2007, 17:30
Contract Dog thought I might have heard back from you with some info

Heli-Jet
14th Aug 2007, 15:20
FDR if you are still out there .... have been watching this space and nothing from you ?? Obviously you know somebody who interviewed with KAS for the HS125 position

Heli-Jet
28th Aug 2007, 17:36
King Air Servces, 2 Kingair 200's based in Khartoum, and 4 Vans based in the field, Nyala, El obeid, Juba and Wau. They also always need Van crew

FDR ... anything to add ??????:cool:

Heli-Jet
12th Sep 2007, 02:45
14-Mar-07King Air ServicesGrummanZS-NHW Islamabad0 + 1NonePLNose gear failed to extend prior to landing.

Heli-Jet
12th Sep 2007, 02:51
Helicopter at centre of High Court tug-of-war
The Mercury March 17, 2006

A High Court dispute is raging between Gauteng-based King Air Services Partnership and the office of KwaZulu-Natal Premier S'bu Ndebele over the ownership of a 1996 Bell helicopter.

The province maintained in papers before the Pietermaritzburg High Court that it had temporarily leased the helicopter to King Air on June 26 last year, while awaiting a decision by the province's Central Procurement Committee on whether to accept an offer from the company to buy both the helicopter and a Baron fixed-wing aircraft from the province.

The province maintained that the lease agreement was cancelled when King Air's offer was not accepted, and that it had since accepted an offer from another buyer.

Graeme Clarke of King Air maintained that his company had concluded a valid agreement of sale with the province and that it had tendered payment of the agreed purchase price.

He stated in court documents that although ownership had not yet passed to his company, the company demanded compliance with the alleged agreement.

The Mercury discovered on Thursday that the sheriff of the high court had attached the helicopter, which had been grounded at Lanseria Airport pending the outcome of the case.

According to an affidavit by Ndanduleni Mutheiwana, General Manager of Air Transport, Gaming and Betting in the province, the offer to purchase the helicopter and aircraft by King Air had been turned down by the procurement committee on September 1 2005.

The date for the next hearing of the dispute is April 28.

Heli-Jet
12th Sep 2007, 03:01
Ingrid Oellermann
August 29 2006 at 09:55AM A dispute between Gauteng-based King Air Services Partnership and the office of KwaZulu Natal's premier and the director-general for KZN over ownership of a Bell helicopter has been settled.

The settlement agreement was confirmed by a court order granted in the Pietermaritzburg High Court on Monday.

In terms of the agreement, King Air Services Partnership is to pay the premier's office R5 502 500 after receipt of an invoice issued by the province in respect of the 1996 Bell 206L-IV Long Ranger helicopter.

King Air Services Partnership will become the registered owner of the helicopter on confirmation by another company, Bonus Way 16 (Pty) Ltd, that it has received payment due to it from the premier's office.

Heli-Jet
28th Sep 2007, 00:51
Who has the latest on the KAS incident. ???

Solid Rust Twotter
28th Sep 2007, 05:15
ZS-NHW is a Gulfstream 1 and first off the production line if memory serves me correctly.:confused:

Heli-Jet
2nd Oct 2007, 19:03
Engineers don't last too long on KAS contracts, major turnover of engineers at both Kinshasa and Entebbe. Looks like the same is happening in Lanseria

Heli-Jet
8th Oct 2007, 17:31
I agree, totally naive way to run a business.

I think what normally happens is a company comes across a contract through someone who has a mate in the UN or something similar.

So, the company get the contract, they have a fairly unqualified group of people running their operations office who are now tasked to run the contract.

It is fine until unplanned maintenance is needed, fine until unplanned or even planned time off for the crews is required, basically, the snow ball has started to gather speed.

The low wages they pay the people in the office to manage and run the contracts reflects the level of qualification and experience those they employ have.

It is an age old situation, and this is not disrespectful to anyone.

'You pay peanuts and you get monkeys'

Simple!

Yes, it is a crap way to run a business, but the whole contract scene in SA is rotten, the UN and likes pay huge money for these contracts and there is absolutely no reason why the SA company should not make a good profit and pay their crews a decent salary.

Lets face it, all the directors still drive around in their BMW's and Merc's and 4x4's, oh and lets not forget the conflicts of interest by those concerned, forming consortiums of directors and buying planes which are then leased to the company they work for to go on contract for a fixed number of hours, regardless of how many hours the contract pays.

Oh, and who decides what plane to source and use on contract, the very managers/directors who own the planes.

Heli-Jet
30th Oct 2007, 17:16
Gautengflyboy post - And another thing: There seems to be a tendency developing with some companies to revert salaries to a Euro basis due to the current volatility of the Dollar. Could this possibly be on the cards for the South African operators as well. It certainly would make sense. In this past month, you could say that crew on contract have taken about 8% cut in salary due to the strength of the Rand. That's way too volatile to effectively budget month to month.

I hear that S&T's are included in the monthly salaries and Brenda taxes this as well ????????

wiseman75
2nd Nov 2007, 14:49
Heli jet,if you know of rated hawker drivers that are looking for work then please send some info to my pm. Would appreciate it very much.:)

Heli-Jet
4th Nov 2007, 17:00
Wisemen check your PM

Not too many rated HS125 pilots out there that want to earn USD , if you are talking Euros at a reasonable rate say 10000 pm to work in Kinshasa and Entebbe you might get a few bites.

Have KAS had more turnover of HS125 crew again ???

mug25
4th Nov 2007, 19:11
with over 2000hrs tt and 900 hrs on be1900d. can i get a job with KAS

fly1981
4th Nov 2007, 22:06
You definately could! Wouldnt be any where close to flying the Hs125 though. Only guys/gals that have been in the company for years get to fly those machines, works on a 'favourites' basis, not so much TT. They operate 1900's as well though, also in the DRC, One in Bunia, Other in Kinshasa last I heard.

mug25
5th Nov 2007, 05:12
what's their contacts please??

Heli-Jet
7th Nov 2007, 00:07
Graeme Clarke
Chief Executive Officer

Carlo Talevi
Responsible Person Aircraft

Bjorn Holmer
Responsible Person Flight Operations

Mark van Buuren
General Manager

If you checkout their website, they have their phone number and map in Lanseria. One of these guys should be able to help you

fireitup
8th Nov 2007, 08:59
Helijet you seem to want to know a lot about KAS.

Why not PM me your email and all the questions and queries you have and I'll happily reply.

Fire:ugh:

Don't hide behind your handle, find a pair.

4granted
8th Nov 2007, 09:05
90% of this thread contains posts by Heli Jet!!? Waste of space really!!

4G:\

Heli-Jet
8th Nov 2007, 16:39
4 Granted

Research on Company, in my humble opinion can't be a waste of space. By the sounds of it you might have valuable info to contribute. Maybe you work for them, or have worked for them. If so maybe answer some of the questions and enlighten us.

Better to be forewarned and forearmed, gives guys a better opportunity to decide on SOP's, training, maintenance and accommodation conditions before arriving on the job.

Do you know what the UN requirements are for Captains and F/O's on the HS125 and BE190

fireitup
9th Nov 2007, 06:27
Heli

As 4g says..90% of the posts in this thread come from you...so "us" might not be all that interested, most are happy with the way their companies are run. In my experience the only people unhappy with companies have either been asked to leave or never send back on contact due to their lack of ability and general negative attitude towards an operation.

It seems you're the only person interested in KAS in this post and how the company is run...I still await your email and questions which will be happily answered or why not stop by the office next time you're at FALA.

:ugh:

Heli-Jet
9th Nov 2007, 16:35
Fireitup ... you obviously work for KAS, here are some of the questions extracted from the previous threads.

1.Does anybody know what they pay their pilots and engineers.?
2.What is their maintenance like if they are in places like the DRC and Sudan.? Is there danger pay, etc.
Read an interesting post on Kinshasa DRC-aflame where both you and 4G made comments on what was happening at KZAA - thus the question on danger pay etc
3.Do they have Hangars and maintenance equipment in these places, or are they a bush type operator?
4.What are their accommodation facilities like?
5.Do these guys pay on time?
6.What are their training standards? If it takes 1.4 to do a HS125 rating for a P2.?
7.Do they use FSI in the UK for sim training?
8.Do you know what the UN requirements are for Captains and F/O's on the HS125 and BE190?
9.Do they pay in Euro's now that the USD has taken a major tumble on the forex market?

Have received PM's from previous employees, would be great to get the goods from the employer.

Bit tough to visit FALA when on is based in Port Harcort, Nigeria ... few Nigerians interested in working for your company, they have also worked in Equatorial Guinea and have citation x ratings as well. Heard you do have a Kenyan pilot on your staff.

Heli-Jet
13th Nov 2007, 17:23
Guess you are not in a position to answer any questions.:confused:

fireitup
14th Nov 2007, 14:53
I can certainly reply to all those questions, If as I said earlier if you PM me and contact me personally as others have done in the past with regards to KAS.

The company will not discuss its operation in an open forum but should you be interested in a position with the company, you should contact us directly.

Heli-Jet
14th Nov 2007, 14:55
Check your PM

B200Drvr
15th Nov 2007, 08:45
Stupid point, but why would any company all of a sudden start paying their crews in Euros? If the contract was negotiated in USD, then for the term of the contract it will stay in USD. If the USD went through the roof, would the company then have the right to pay its crew in ZAR? Hell no, so why should they change just because there is a bit of a drop in the USD. Come on guys, why post stuff that makes you look stupid!!!

Heli-Jet
15th Nov 2007, 15:24
Good point B200, however when a company have a major turnover of pilots I guess the only way of keeping them is to raise the salary to keep them. When as you say the contract is paid in USD.

auditor125
18th Nov 2007, 03:56
Fireitup, bru I can't believe you make out that you are a manager. Must be a ego trip!!!

Last I heard you where in Sudan on the caravan and the B200.
How did you get the 200 hours of HS125 time. I know that the UN requires a minimum of 200 hours on the HS125 with a minimum of 1000 hours total time to be a co-pilot. They don't give any dispensations, so after your 1.4 hours of training for the rating. What did you write down on your UN pilot info sheet??

Captains need TT 3000 and 500 hrs P1 on the HS125

Don't worry we have all had to lie on that sheet otherwise we couldn't have flown the B190, same requirements here. !! My story if they asked me to produce my logbook was I left it in Gauteng, and would have it sent up. If they asked again I would just say it was stolen. So what is your story going to be.

AWA

auditor125
18th Nov 2007, 04:38
Accommodation - Entebbe great, Kinshasa not bad, Bunia sucks
Maintanance - bush operator, no spares at Bunia, Kinshasa or Entebbe. Tools - basic . Entebbe has Airserv hangar where some maintenance is done on the BE190 only. HS125 crews have to go back to Lanseria or try and fly up spares on SAA. Would not want to be an Engineer.
No danger pay for KAS employees, UN personnel get danger pay. We took a bullet in our BE190's wing landing light, taped up for a couple months. Could have used high speed tape none available
FSI too expensive for company so they use a sim in the UK - basic sim, co-pilots only go there if and when they get some 700 time.
BE190 crews normally have a rating from 43rd/NAC KAS doesn't pay for that or keep you current on the BE190 sim.
Basic 1.4 training for HS125 crews and you have to sign a 2 year training bond
UN have GPS approaches into Bunia, the BE190 crews use them, most of the time Captain does GPS approach. We haven't had any training on the GPS so have had no idea how to even set up the approach. Is there any training in SA that we can go through??. Bunia gets very Hazy and we go to minimums and be---
FireitUp maybe you can help us, do you do GPS approaches in the HS125 ????

Heli-Jet
29th Nov 2007, 00:50
Auditor

Thanks for all the info

Heli-Jet
18th Dec 2007, 18:56
7. UN have GPS approaches into Bunia, the BE190 crews use them, most of the time Captain does GPS approach. We haven't had any training on the GPS so have had no idea how to even set up the approach. Is there any training in SA that we can go through??. Bunia gets very Hazy and we go to minimums and be---
8. FireitUp maybe you can help us, do you do GPS approaches in the HS125 ????

Found this rather interesting, quetion that needs answering is does the SACAA approve GPS approaches. Saw nothing on their air regs online!!!!

Solid Rust Twotter
19th Dec 2007, 08:10
GPS approaches not approved for Bunia AFAIK. Probably better to wait for a report of suitable conditions before taking off, rather than risk a GPS approach and having to explain to the insurance company/boss/CAA why you were breaking regs when you bend it.

Heli-Jet
19th Dec 2007, 15:14
Does Bunia have a NDB or VOR approach ??

Solid Rust Twotter
20th Dec 2007, 06:01
NDB AFAIK. New mobile beacon was put in by the UN a few years ago but not very strong and you needed to be within about 15 miles to pick it up. Not sure if an approach for the beacon was ever promulgated.

Heli-Jet
24th Dec 2007, 05:29
Heard that the Bunia area get some severe Thunderstorms wouldn't want to rely on a NDB with a 15 nm beacon strength. Understand why Auditor says that KAS B190 crews are using the GPS approaches ... hopefully they don't have another accident. Read about the caravan crash

Heli-Jet
17th Jan 2008, 23:40
The following G1 (ZS-JIS) flew up from FALA does it belong to KAS

SA G1 off runway in Lubumbashi
Did a trip to Lubumbashi yesterday and saw a G1 (ZS-JIS) off to the right hand side of RWY 07 in the bushes.

She looked pretty badly beaten up, got a few hours in that same aerie...anyone have any news?

Heli-Jet
28th Jan 2008, 02:46
Parked at their hangar in Lanseria, checkout the pic on airliners.net

http://www.airliners.net/open.file?id=1311677