PDA

View Full Version : Missing 737 NSW wheel

ZAGORFLY
26th Jun 2007, 01:01
A Ryanair B737 landed in Treviso Italy with a missing wheel (left) of the Nose Landign gear. any picture about?:
Don't the pilot get missing the tire pressure information in this case?

Apparently the Ct. did'n inform anybody and the ground people found out that one tire wasn't there.

Hansol
26th Jun 2007, 03:28
So where did he lose it? on take off? are you really talkin about a wheel or just a tyre? more info please if anyone has it.

Capt Claret
26th Jun 2007, 03:49
Apparently the Ct. did'n inform anybody and the ground people found out that one tire wasn't there.

It's most likely that he didn't know it wasn't there until the ground crew said, "where's ya wheel?"

I believe a Flight West F28 lost a main wheel on landing at Norfolk Island some years back, and the first the crew knew, was when they saw the offending wheel overtake them during the landing roll! :eek:

HotDog
26th Jun 2007, 05:54
We lost a main wheel during T/O at the old Taipei airport on a CV880 and didn't know about it untill told by the arrival engineer on the ground at Kai Tak.

Funnel Cloud
26th Jun 2007, 08:07
Tire Pressure Indicators are optional on the 737. I don't think Ryanair has them at all, so you wouldn't know about it untill you do your walk-around or until the ground crew tell you.

FC

FCS Explorer
26th Jun 2007, 08:09
737 and most likely most other aircraft don't have cockpit indications on missing tires or other outside parts. it's usually the ground crew who sees it first. i once taxied over a nail with one of the front wheels. darn thing was invisible just below the tire on outside check and the air went out slowly. when we wanted to push the ground guys noticed a flat tire. but what appeared to be the flat one actually was the good one who had to hold all the weight while his tire-buddy was just "hanging around"...

HAWK21M
6th Jul 2007, 14:17
No Tire pressure Indicators on the B737s.
Possible cause could be loose Axle nut or Oversized Nut if the Axle was reworked.
regds
MEL

Wycombe
6th Jul 2007, 16:24
As a young lad, I was pax in a British Airtours 707 that lost a nosewheel on landing in Dubrovnik.

Other pax not sure whether to laugh or scream as it bounced off into the bondu as we rolled out :eek:

Mr.Brown
6th Jul 2007, 20:05
That certainly looks like a warranty job.
How old was the Landing Gear, can't be that old on a Ryanair?

G-ARZG
6th Jul 2007, 21:07
EI-CSN at least 7 years old - well out of warranty, I think?

sorry, 6+ years old...

bia botal
7th Jul 2007, 09:42
probably spent the previous day in the circuit at Shannon:}:}:}

HAWK21M
7th Jul 2007, 10:00
When was the last NDT done on the Axle.
If you have more pics pls share.
regds
MEL

Busbert
10th Jul 2007, 04:33
This type of failure is typically related to a failed inboard wheel bearing. The overheat of the bearing can cause heat damage (overtempered martensites) to the 300M steel of the piston/axle. This results in a highly brittle area with poor mechanical properties that would be susceptible to cracking.
This would have very little to do with the age of the landing gear - the initiating factor would be an overtorqued wheel nut, incorrectly installed wheel or damaged wheel bearing.

ground_star
10th Jul 2007, 07:02
Maybe it just got "Wheely Tyred" of "Hanging around"...

I'll get me coat...

SIDSTAR
11th Jul 2007, 00:08
Probably happened as a result of incorrect torque, metal fatigue or perhaps the final result of too many high-speed turns while taxying.

Few Cloudy
11th Jul 2007, 07:08
Thanks for the opinion Sidstar - I will print that in my newspaper then...

bia botal
11th Jul 2007, 09:34
Probably happened as a result of incorrect torque, metal fatigue or perhaps the final result of too many high-speed turns while taxying.

Like say the turns made to exit via high speed taxi-ways!:eek:

Your probably one of these Muppet's that exits at 10 knots and screws up the next guy.:ugh: