PDA

View Full Version : LHR Connection Assistance, Please

Sawbones
25th Jun 2007, 17:46
Hello everyone,
We soon have to make a quick trip from Canada to Glasgow (Air Canada pilot). Our last attempt northbound standby on the BA shuttle LHR-GLA was a disaster, and thought we would reserve a seat on EasyJet this time.
Would much appreciate any recommendations as to which of the other London airports (Stanstead, Luton, etc) would be the easiest to get to from LHR, and how this may be best accomplished. Tube/train/taxi, etc.
Many thanks,
Dave (Sawbones)

Pax Vobiscum
26th Jun 2007, 15:29
I'd agree with Mike, except there are major road works on the motorway between London and Luton at the moment (and there have also been some in Luton itself, though I think they may be finished). Unless you're travelling very early or very late, allow for long delays.

Stansted Express (rail) would get my vote for now.

TopBunk
26th Jun 2007, 15:39
Another option is to reserve a seat ex LHR with either BMI or BA - don't be fooled by the 'low cost' claims by EZY - it ain't necessarily so. The £20 transfer fee could well be greater than the saving in airfare.

If it was my money, I'd go BMI (and I work for BA!), many of our own staff pax do this:hmm:

If it is post the move to T5 in 2008, then it may well be different, but until then ....

renfrew
26th Jun 2007, 15:59
If you are flying into LHR it simply doesn't make sense to change airports.
Staff travel on BA and BD is usually not too difficult.Can you get a ticket or tickets valid on both?
Or, as the previous poster suggested look for an online deal.Outside peak times the lowest public fare on BA/BD can be a good buy.

spanishflea
26th Jun 2007, 16:19
Just book a confirmed BA flight through AA. Its rarely more than £40 even if booked at the last minute on a peak service.

13Alpha
27th Jun 2007, 10:34
Don't know how much you want to avoid LHR, and I guess you want to use cheap staff travel, but Zoom fly direct from Canada to Glasgow.

Also you could connect in the US instead (e.g. via Newark (Continental), Philadelphia (US Airways) - shorter travel time than going via LHR.

Otherwise I'd go with the suggestion of BMI from Heathrow. BA have a tendency to put their domestic shuttles at the bottom of the priority list when anything goes wrong at LHR.

And road and rail traffic around London is such that I wouldn't recommend going to a different airport.

13Alpha

pavil
27th Jun 2007, 20:15
if youre problem last time was just trying to get on a ba flight, then you should consider bmi this time. technically as star alliance staff youre onload priority should be higher, therefore a bit easier to get a seat