PDA

View Full Version : Indonesia grounds nine airlines

flyhardmo
25th Jun 2007, 11:41
http://news.ninemsn.com.au/article.aspx?id=275063

RoyHudd
25th Jun 2007, 12:10
Corrupt country, exemplified by the decision above. Garuda have a shocking record, and are lauded. :ugh:

kingair9
25th Jun 2007, 12:25
Am I blind? I can see the 5 airlines, that have been suspended

SMAC, Kura-Kura Aviation, Germania Trisila, Atlas Deltasatya and Survei Udara Penas

but which are the other 4 that had their licenses revoked?

:8

W.R.A.I.T.H
25th Jun 2007, 12:30
Garuda have a shocking record, and are lauded.

Compared to what we're used to in terms of safety, yes. Compared to its local environment, the best option without debate. I believe they're state owned too. Also mind that the Yogayakarta incident, although the report is yet due, appears to have been a pilot error from what I've gathered - in my opinion less attributable to corrupt management culture, cash diverting and safety cutting than, say the mx bully practices and cargo overloading as we've heard on this forum from PK-KAR about Adam Air and other carriers elsewhere.

But yeah I agree, a country corrupt to the core, left right center top to bottom. Got a friend living there, heard horrors :(. I wonder if Adam Air have been smacked too, anyone have info?

cringe
25th Jun 2007, 17:35
but which are the other 4 that had their licenses revoked?
Jatayu, Prodexim, Alfa Trans Dirgantara and Aviasi Upataraksa
From http://www.thejakartapost.com/detailgeneral.asp?fileid=20070625184644&irec=0
I wonder if Adam Air have been smacked too, anyone have info?
They have been promoted from the worst group three to group two, along with four other airlines.
From http://abc.net.au/news/stories/2007/06/25/1961759.htm?section=justin

Rush2112
26th Jun 2007, 03:51
Garuda generally are not that bad (YOG crash aside), and I would not be too worried flying with them. Maintenance is supposedly outsourced to LH technicians.

For Adam Air to have been promoted to group 2 and not suspended does beggar belief. Or not, given KKN.

I was in Jakarta last week having dinner with a friend who works as a loss adjuster there and he was seriously contemplating using AA to fly somewhere to do a survey, hopefully I dissuaded him!!

priapism
26th Jun 2007, 06:15
"Garuda generally are not that bad" - unless , of course, you have been on one of their many aircraft that have crashed and killed people . I'm sure someone out there can provide accurate figures.
I wouldn't go near them.

anartificialhorizon
26th Jun 2007, 06:35
Rush 2112,

I hope your friend is not an aviation loss adjuster.....!!! He would be mad to do it if he was !!!

gengis
26th Jun 2007, 06:51
Priapism, i think the point Rush was trying to make is that if you wanted to go from Balikpapan to Unjung Pandang, or Semarang to Jogjakarta and your choices were 1) Garuda; 2) Adam Air; 3) Merpati; 4) Sempati; 5) Pelita..... so on & so on, chances are you'd still go with Garuda wouldn't you say? short of hiring a Seneca or Aztec & doing it yourself, of course

Frangible
26th Jun 2007, 12:58
So, Adam Air's reward for consistently unsafe practices, a major crash, and obstructing investigations, is to have some of its competitors removed from the market by the government. Neat.