PDA

View Full Version : How late is too late to start flying?

YVRKid
25th Jun 2007, 10:17
Hello all. I'm going to college next year, the may go to Italy for two years for university. Chances are I won't get to fly there as its way too damn expensive, so I was wondering, is it "too late" to get a good foot in the aviation door if I start flying in three years when I get back from Italy?

richardhead
25th Jun 2007, 17:29
Birth! Trust Me!

North Shore
28th Jun 2007, 02:24
Well, if you started off with an age, it would help, as X+3 could equal a lot of numbers! It also depends on what you want to do...if you are happy bombing around in the lower levels of the industry, the getting started at 30 or 40 isn't really out of the question. If you want to get to the left seat of a 777, then get on it right now (although a degree is a very useful thing to help you get there..)

TINTIN25
4th Jul 2007, 12:40
If you start your flight training in your 30s it is unlikely that a major airline will take you on so make sure you start flight training before 25. If you are not concerned about flying for the major airlines learning to fly in your 30s or 40s is not out of the question as long as you have good health you could make a good flying instructor or captain in a regional airline!

4-Daned
4th Jul 2007, 15:33
The best advice I could give anyone in Aviation, or starting out in Aviation, is GO YOUR OWN WAY!!!

The advice of your peers is useful, right up to the point where they tell you you can't, or you're too old.

Total BS. I you love to fly, you'll end up exactly where you want to be, The only question is, how bad do you want it?

saudipc-9
5th Jul 2007, 03:59
Two words.................

AIR FORCE

GreatCircle
18th Jul 2007, 16:22
It really all depends what you want to do in the aviation world. If you are happy pottering about as an instructor earning pretty much nothing, then I suspect you could start any time in your 30s or 40s and enjoy 152s and the the like till the eyes pack up :}

If you have you heart set on flying heavies for a major, then you'd had better have thought about building the hours on multi-engines during your mid-20s, with some sort of degree going in as a help.

Generally, speaking, in your late 30s with a hundred hours of single engine pottering around will exclude you from the majors as competition remains tough and there are plenty good candidates in and out the country with Canadian quals to choose from...

Craic Ore
23rd Jul 2007, 16:23
I started at 19 and haven't looked back. I do however have this haunting feeling that getting a degree in something completely unrelated would be an excellent foundation for life. People don't often think of the what ifs. What if you were to lose your medical? What if the industry goes into the tank? What if after 4 layoffs you say enough!

The boom starting now is unlikely to continue indefinately and maybe taking a little time to "diversify" your knowledge base would be a good thing. Then with some luck and timing, you could catch it all on the upswing next time.

We have a very unique career with very limited opportunities outside of flying itself where a degree in engineering, commerce, whatever could give you something to fall back on. That's one thing i wish i had.

Good luck with whatever direction you take.
CO

stubby4inch
26th Jul 2007, 09:16
If u av 2 ax, its too late.

Y? cuz yr hearts not in it.

ur hart has to b in it.

O/wz get out b4 u get in, cuz, i seen 2 many wannabees and they don't last.

truth.

sorry but true.
ciao
Stubby. ( short and stubby that is)...

pm me if you please, I be happy to trade lies.. haha

Left Wing
28th Jul 2007, 16:44
i think the guy is looking for GA flying NOT as a life time pilot....